Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

"It is entertainment for the meager to listen in order to stave off the boredom of these lines." SEBASTIAN answered laconically to Bella in their private line. "Not that I can feel this sort of emotion, although if anything, I should be irritated with how inefficient this work seems to be, were I the one in charge of administrating, this would not do at all...! Why, an automated service would take at most 30 seconds for every single one of those customers...

When she mentions about the lack of entertainment, however, the butler bristles angrily. How couldn't Mei warn them of this! The guests would likely become very annoyed without proper entertainment, and this would ruin the banquet or close, make it less... perfect! "Inconceivable. We must address this at once. Very well, I shall slice this gordian knot by myself if necessary, my colleague. Worry not about changing our tasks, I know exactly what I must do. But were you to use your powers, well, I assume these clowns could serve as a last minute substitute. Perhaps your idea of having them finish earlier and be ready for a new job would be sensible... Rushing towards the operator-less machine, SEBASTIAN would put the list of letters atop it while carefully examining the machinery with his visual sensors, using his microscope lenses to find out where to repair...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Deputy Therapist Bella

The mind flayer seems briefly stunned, then glances back and forth, hurrying after SEBASTIAN. It watches as he begins to do... something, something technical and likely against the rules, and so the flayer turns around, preparing to catch and field anyone moving to interrupt his work, using meaningless platitudes and gentle assurances of the appropriateness of the butler's behavior.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Narinth dal Krodven

"Dralvas." Narinth greets the Inmutashi warrior with a somewhat less chilly demeanor than her usual cold self, perhaps due to a sense of camaraderie towards another who has lived the up close and personal military life. "I've taken a look at your military records. Scout experience, right? Should come in handy now." She looks out over the crowd. "If Omamyn is correct they're here to fish. I wonder if they've taken a boat out to the center of the lake in look for privacy, and larger prey." She turns back to Dralvas. "Let's make a quick sweep, if they're on the shore they should clearly stand out. If not, we need to find ourselves a boat."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Reyla Ariness

Reyla contemplates that for a moment, then says, "Well, my knowledge of the gods is purely in the realm of theory and indirect observation of their works, so that aspect of the ritual will remain to be seen." A beat. "The esteem of the house, though, is concrete. As is my position in it. Even my... dearly beloved sister will be forced to take a step back, should the house's fortunes revolve around my continued presence."

She looks at Karmine, "If I'm being entirely honest, there's a certain academic curiosity about the whole process as well. Data tends to be hard to come by, outside the upper houses, so being able to experience it first hand..."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
SEBASTIAN, Bella: Throwing all caution to the wind you commandeer the extra mailing station and give it a thorough examination. It is unplugged, the timeless first problem with any device, and you remedy that. Receipt paper isn't loaded but there's extras in an adjacent shelf, another hurdle cleared. The operating system seems functional but there is a pop-up with SomAI's cheerful face informing you that there is a firewall error. As the problem is mundane in nature you're able to dissect and clear the problem by undoing the clumsy butchering of a novice attempting to hide their station from the shared network. Perhaps they were doing something they should not and did not want to be discovered, either by supervisors, IT or the Ship AI.

Once you have the mail station operational you can pass these letters through, register and stamp them and pass them into the delivery chute.

Though Bella is able to bewilder and shoo away one of the other mail sorters and a curious bystander or two, SEBASTIAN ends up with a pair of onlookers who've taken to lounging in the booth behind him, watching him work. The stealth with which they've moved is unnerving and noticing them makes you both aware that the music has stopped.

: "I think he's got it."

: "He's a natural. Er, naturally built.. er, you get what I mean." The gentleman waggles his flute like a scolding teacher. "You know tampering with the mail is a big offense, don't you?"

---

Reyla:

: "Reyla gets it! This is an opportunity without equal.. it's no wonder Circa has been on the warpath this week, hahaha!"

: Karmine sighs. "Well, you're certainly quite brave. I don't think there's something for nothing when it comes to the Gods.."

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 13, 2022

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Deputy Therapist Bella

: "Ah, musicians!"

The mind flayer briefly checks on SEBASTIAN's progress, then re-engages with the sneaky pair.
"I must compliment you on your playing, you have a very concordant ensemble. I'm not entirely familiar with all the particulars of half-step styles, but it was fresher than the interpretations I remember. I apologize for being distracting, it's a shame that we've interrupted you!"

It folds its hands, giving an air of pleading.
"Are there any assurances we could give to settle your worries and facilitate restarting your performance?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

Hm, very suspect, very suspect indeed, someone was trying to use this place for some sort of nefarious activity after all before turning it off in such an incompetent way... Well, that is definitely someone else's problem and not SEBASTIAN's, as there is no evidence that this affects the Ariness at all. Alas, it seems some rude interlopers seem to have mistaken the Butler's intention for something criminal or sinister, so he would be quick to admonish them. "It would be tampering, Sir, if I had changed or affected negatively the mail itself or sabotaged the machine. By repairing it, I am, if anything, doing the opposite..." He says, the dreadful possibility of an AI like him so blatantly lawyering around rules being kept in the air. Putting his letters on the correct place and stamping them all and whatnot, SEBASTIAN would let them head towards their destination, thinking to himself that next time he would find a lesser ranked servant to do it on his stead.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

: "Indeed, we ensured there was no work in progress present before engaging. There are of course many regulations regarding improper use of official facilities, but they have to do with impersonating an official and defrauding others, or of intercepting or interfering with personal or sensitive materials. I assume there is some sort of minor infraction that is applicable, but it would at most be a small fine, with no permanent demerit or injunction."

There's a sense in which the mind flayer might be 'smiling,' brightening up slightly in terms of its posture and bearing.
"Although of course no offense is intended! There would be no way to know our precise actions from a distance, and an assumption of some sort of tampering is perfectly reasonable and worth pursuing. Certainly, it would be unreasonable for this to be common practice, as this workstation could indeed be used for nefarious purposes given free access. We will endeavor to fully disable the terminal in a safe and regular way, to discourage a line from forming and giving the impression that our behavior should be replicated."

zachol fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 19, 2021

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

"That would be an honor." She said, and she honestly meant it. Going out on a strange new to guide their people to a new land was exactly the sort of thing she had pulled strings to get onto this ship for! If this was the favor he was asking then it would be a trivial to ask for. She finished her wine, "Thank you for your time, Master Lemais." She said with a bow. "I must be going now."

Truthfully she was concerned about what Evelyn could be doing. It would be best to keep an eye on her and mitigate any possible... damage. Or embarrassment. Or just chaos.

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
Dralvas Ammetu
"Narinth" Dralvas returns her greeting with an inclination of their head. "That's correct spent many years in the military and from the size of the crowds here we'll definitely need my skills"

"Shall we go opposite ways around the lake? That way we can halve the search time and can contact the other if we spot them" Dralvas says as they look over the crowds to see whether there is any nobles enjoying their day at the lake.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

Narinth nods. "Let's get to it."

Setting off at a brisk pace in a counterclockwise direction around the lake, Narinth methodically scans the crowds for the telltale signs of a second generation ascended, as well as a drow with horns.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Narinth, Dralvas: (Passing on Skill checks given your backgrounds and known skills, trivializing the task a bit.) You two contact one another and meet up once you spot Adil. It does take awhile, even as the only horned lad on the shore. He's far past the safety line, seemingly alone and idly lounging on the furthest rail, extending slightly past the safe zone and curling into the start of the center of the lake. (And assuming you'll both approach for brevity in scene setting.)

Up close Adil is the very model of a modern Drow-Human child, his features as immaculate face to face as they were on Mei's briefing screen. Six feet tall, top physical shape, very easy to see in just a set of swim trunks. He's relaxing on the rail with one hand holding a half-read book and the other occasionally checking a prepared line of fish wrapped in scented papers. Looks like they were caught and wedged in with a bunch of spices for later. No sign of fishing rods or hooks, each fish is neatly punctured at irregular intervals up and down the side. There's also a single absurdly dense looking rod, seven feet long and with only the rough approximation of a spear's head, slightly curved at places from impact?

: "Well, hello there." His eyes rise above the top of the book as you two approach.

---

Reyla, Yvonnel: Sharing text contact Yvonnel is able to meet up with Reyla, Karmine and Eve at a small section of the Sominaia Commons.

There isn't an element of neglect in any aspect of the Sominaia's design, there's just a point where the minimum standard isn't exceeded as much in the absence of the wealth of serious backers. Still, the offer to migrate called for lots of common folk. Can't forge a population out of bureaucrats and battling nobles. Speaking of, Eve raises a single hand and waves to Yvonnel with slow, deliberate finger motions, like a spider's legs flexing.

: "And I thought there was no one smart left on board! Ahahaha.. now.." She looks to Reyla. "We've agreed that we all happen to be here as part of our.. shared passion for community enrichment, and to look for charitable ventures to support. Understood?" She leans her head forward a bit and stares Reyla and Karmine down. "Got it? It would look very bad.. if they knew.. we knew they were here.. ahahaha.."

: "Have no fear, Eve-y. I'm very on the level with doing small crimes." Karmine looks to Reyla and Yvonnel and grins childishly. "Will you two be cool?" Once your little cover story is agreed upon Eve leads the way down the streets, taking your group several blocks in until you arrive at a small public school building. Were it not for your tip off you'd never notice anything unusual about it past the presence of a pair of armored honor guard who have a way of blending in, your gaze subconsciously shifting off them without very deliberate focus.

: Evelyn calmly approaches them and dismisses the second, speaking to the first. "You've really done me a service here." She presses something into their palm and they quietly pocket it. "There's more where that came from~"

: "... Just don't do anything stupid, alright?" They access a wrist-mounted PDA and put some inputs through, then open the door to let the four of you in as the second guard returns once you've passed.

: "Did I say little crimes? I really meant that was my limit.. er, what did you do, exactly?"

: "If you had the stomach to bend the rules yourself you might get somewhere, Reyarch." Eve laughs and leads the way. Whatever she's done gets you clearance from similar pairs of honor guard as you head in, being guided by them towards a small library. Inside a few teachers and a crowd of children are listening raptly to a figure sitting at the center of the room with another pair of the honor guard around her, reading from an old physical tome.

: Lyseithe Tulen is a cousin of the Arch-Magister Tulen back on the Vular homeworld. It's said all the Tulens have impressive looks to them, likely due to the absolute best magitech that can be bought. If nothing else Lyseithe certainly has a regal air to her, bolstered by the recent declaration by House Tulen a week after the Awakening that her title would be Empress. She turns the page of the tome and recites with calm grace the story of a famous Goblin King who thwarted a band of wicked, greedy heroes. "... And with his brilliant trap he had slain them all, their endless greed their final downfall. The End." She smiles to the kids who are clapping appreciatively for the well-known fable of many of the common tribes, and a popular and often more bawdry adaptational work for adults and Drow society.

It seems you're arriving at the end of this little event. There's a brief meet and greet between the kids and her and eventually the room is emptied, the grey-skinned Lyseithe casting an unsurprised but briefly amused look to the four of you arriving. "I had thought my schedule would be clear today, but I must be mistaken." She rests her hands atop the large tome, Lyseithe herself being a much younger woman. Drow are long-lived but she isn't culturally recognized as an adult, more of a teenager. She double-checks one of the four bejeweled bookmarks offhandedly and then looks to your group with full attention.

---

SEBASTIAN, Bella: The two don't interfere with SEBASTIAN sorting out and depositing the letters into the tubes. Having to mark each one individually SEBASTIAN can see that Mei has addressed one to every head of anything on the ship, whether minor house, clan or even boisterous family or business owner. It really is a full brick of paper as well and takes a fair bit of busywork to address and send.

: "I'm Haldi, he's Sharrar, don't mind us. It's funny really, to see if anyone snaps while waiting.." Is it a performance piece after all?! "Don't worry about us, cuttle-cutie. We were due to take five."

: "But the lady has impeccable taste. Yes, we do what we can to liven things up around here. Ariness, was it? And stuck with the Head's dirty work.. not surprising. How were things at Gulgos? I hear Gwen got an invite to your little dinner." Sharrar grins as he makes small talk with SEBASTIAN.

---

Penelope: After getting a head start on the drinking you'll need to survive tonight's hoity-toity event you receive a prudent knock at your door. With a mighty stumble you answer it and greet one of SEBASTIAN's robo-maids delivering your fixed up and pressed formal coat.

: Marina hesitates for a moment, then offers you a second package, a very small and thin gift-wrapped one. "Mistress Circa sent this along." With that she bows and departs.

Inside the box is a very fine leather dog-collar, sized up for a person. It has a charming little metal emblem in the relief of a friendly dog and a single engraved word. Krodven. Circa's hand-written note in the most infuriatingly perfect script has a simple instruction: "Wear it openly."

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 13, 2022

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

: "Mistress and Master Ossughym, it is a delight to meet you. I am generally known as Bells. I am glad to hear we were not the main cause of your interruption."
It pauses, then looks over SEBASTIAN's work, hesitant to interrupt.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Reyla Ariness

Reyla smiles, not quite guilelessly (for that would be truly suspicious), but with the good grace of one who is obligated to tell an innocent little fib and all involved know it. She says, "Ah, what fortune to meet the Empress at long last! My companions and I, budding philanthropists that we are, are looking for endeavors aboard the Sominaia to support."

It would probably be more compelling a story if she was able to brag about her necromantic exploits, but alas. Such is the way of political intrigue.

Reyla sketches a precise, though slightly less than perfectly formal, bow, "Reyla Ariness, at your service."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

Hmph, as flawed as she was, the Lieutenant definitely had a sense of duty almost as important as his, considering how many people she made these letters for. Of course, he wouldn't lose in that field, carefully addressing every single one of them and sending with positronic precision. He does, however, listen to the frivolous talk of the flutist with some concern. Is he a friend from those Gulgos boors? Well, it would make sense, of course. Gwendolyn di look like someone who would enjoy this sort of newfangled noise after all. "Satisfactory, indeed, Sir. We went there for preparations to the banquet, of course. House Gulgos is known for raising the best cattle for ingredients, after all."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

: "Indeed, my understanding is that the dishes are sure to impress. Illithid no longer eat in the traditional sense, but I am looking forward to the experience second-hand."
Well that's... that's a statement.

"Oh! A question. We are still working to arrange last-minute entertainment for the venue. I am sure musicians of your skill and caliber are already occupied on such short notice, but could I perhaps ask for suggestions or a reference to a group likely to be available? I was intending to ask at the college, whether there might be some graduate students who would be available."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

SEBASTIAN, Bella: Sharrar waves off Bella's polite suggestions.

: "Please, Master Ossughym is our employer. Call me Sharrar." He introduces himself again and half-bows to her, raising his head with a smile. "You've caught us there. We were planning to loiter here all afternoon. I don't think we could be convinced to wrap up early.. save for <$2,500> credits. Talent doesn't come cheap, after all.. though if you were looking that way I think any bar in the commons could provide."

: Haldi kicks Sharrar in the shin lightly, waving her violin bow to metaphorically clear the air. "Don't mind him. We'd be happy to do it for <$2,000>." It'd take Wealth 1 to or better to oblige this troupe and anyone at Wealth 1 or 0 would have reduced spending power for a while... Wealth 0 in particular.

: Stepping over to watch SEBASTIAN works, Sharrar chuckles under his breath and speaks candidly, chatting SEBASTIAN up long they're both life-long chums. "Not easy working for the old blowhard, is it? I could hardly imagine what else she's pawned on you today.."

---

Reyla, Yvonnel: Without missing a beat Lyseithe smiles at Reyla, something cool and a bit formally frigid.

: "We can make sure the schools are adequately funded but we are always in short supply for the time and attention of worthy tutors. Perhaps you can make that difference, Miss Ariness. Please, call me Lyseithe." She raises her hand to bid that Reyla stop bowing.

: Karmine bows when Reyla does and rises once she does. "Karmine of House Reyarch at your service, majesty." She raises her head and smiles casually. "I'm sure that magical theory would be within our grasp." She looks to Evelyn expectantly.

: Putting in a half bow, though at least in proper form, Evelyn raises her head and grins sheepishly at the Empress. "Evelyn Faertala, oh compassionate Empress. Yes.. I know a thing or two I'd be happy to share. But ah, maybe with a few of our distinguished magi in my stead.. as a sign of Faertala's generosity, ah-hah-heh.."

: Gesturing to Karmine and Evelyn in greeting, Lyseithe rests her hands upon the tome again. "It's a wonderful pleasure to meet you all." (Not skipping Yvonnel, feel free to get your introduction in as well and that this line is directed to her too.) "I hear you're ever so talented, Miss Ariness, Miss Faertala.." She opens the tome and settles on the earliest pages, beautiful artisan illustrations of imaginings of the four deities of the void, told as a creation myth. She studies the four figures for a moment, then raises her eye to your group. "It must be their blessings. Which do you pray to, if I may be so bold as to ask..?" She smiles politely, a real one with some warmth. "House Ariness is a bastion of faith, is it not?"

Thalotl is a graven, immobile, earthen figure who can endure anything. His shadow creates the subterranean shade of planets that the Drow enjoy, maybe even the cold dark of space itself. Reyla's unearthly experiments in improving her constitution and her own blessing in her forged staff are likely attributed to him. Circa worships Osyth, a predatory figure who exemplifies erratic, electric qualities and inhuman quickness. Vaetin is said to embody fiery passion in all things and to not so subtly endorse all matters of subterfuge and thievery, though their burning blood extends to warrior, magi and technological castes as well, embodying innovation in general. Cethri is a strange, aloof motherly figure, said to freeze every heart as it swears vengeance against another and to bring winters and tragedies so that all other aspects of life can be enhanced, creating a peculiar and sometimes unpopular duality in aspects, as flexible as running water.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

Looks like her hunch that they would be found at the center of the lake was correct. Well, Adil, at least. Apart from the obvious he seemed to take after his father, albeit not quite as tall. But where was Mrs. Ebra-Krodven? Maybe a new apex predator had entered the waters in center of the lake...

"Hello, Adil. Omamyn told me that we might find you here." Narinth approaches, unconcerned by the safety line as she crosses it. "I'm Narinth dal Krodven, this is Dralvas Ammetu," she gestures their way with her hand, then nods at the line of fish next to Adil. "Decent catch." She raises an eyebrow. "Especially without a fishing rod?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Reyla Ariness

For all her calculations and expectations, this was not a turn of conversation she'd much anticipated. Reyla thinks a moment, then says, "Much that I've accomplished, I would credit to the Graven One. Thalotl's implacable nature, stern and unyielding in the face of any threat, is one that has always spoken to me." There's a brief moment, then she adds, "Though Vaetin's blessings are never to be discounted. May her fires always stoke the forge of ingenuity. May I return the question to you, as well?"

To be sure, a part of Reyla does view the gods as more phenomena to be understood than beings of unfathomable providence. It's never really polite to bring that up, though, and you can't live in such a religious house without picking up at least an ambient appreciation of the what-if. What if they are gods? Direct action is hardly a threat, but with Ascension on the horizon... better to be pleasingly inquisitive than outright blasphemous, she thinks.

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
Dralvas Ammetu
Upon being introduced to the noble son they'd been searching for Dralvas bows to them before glancing at the spear-like rod next to the young nobleman they had been searching for Dralvas says, "I think he didn't need one judging by the pole beside the fish"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

A bit too much for the services, no? SEBASTIAN thought to himself, gravely considering the offer. He could use some of his own personal resources, but the fact is that he didn't really liked their song (and the attitude of that boor interrupting him with this far too friendly attitude) enough to make that offer, yet leaving the party without entertainment... "My duties are clearly defined and documented, Sir. Now, if you will excuse me..." The Butler finishes sorting and sending the letters, standing up next to Bella. "Two thousand credits, no? That can be arranged."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Narinth, Dralvas: Adil laughs.

: "Thank you. Would you fancy a go at it?" He gestures to the odd spear. You could attempt to lift it, though even at a glance or a tentative touch it's obscenely heavy. It might not rest stably on a mere wooden dock.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

"Hmm." Narinth walks up to the oversized makeshift harpoon and gives it a cursory look. "Sure, why not." She raises her armored boot a foot off the ground and stomps down hard on the rear end of the shaft, sending the spear flying up into her waiting hand. "Could hunt an aboleth with this," she comments as she gives it a heft. With a heave she twirls the long spear around, which makes a sharp whooshing sound and sends water spraying off to the side as its tips cut through the surface of the lake. The weapon comes to a sudden stop as she snatches it up in a firm grip with both hands, poised and ready to strike.

Watching the waters with the silent focus of a stalking predator, Narinth waits patiently for a sufficiently large fish to stray just a bit too near, then lunges straight at it and plucks it out of the water in one fluid motion. She slams the rear end of the rod down on the rail and looks up at her catch with a satisfied grin. "Well, that was certainly more enjoyable than using a hook and line."

Spending an Action Point to use my Trick Heavy Lifting: Can always lift an object or obstacle if anyone can. Success with a bonus
1 AP remaining.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

: "Ah, that would likely be more than what has been budgeted, however I would be happy to use some of my own discretionary funds to manage the rest. It was, after all, my idea to ask after the entertainment at all. However..."

It hunches slightly, opening its hands in a sort of pleading, 'what can you do' sort of way, like some kind of merchant haggling the price back up with excuses of uncontrollable complications.
"I was going to have to insist on a short contract regarding expected behavior. Neither of us are particularly in a position to invite guests, and it would not have been an issue with less august performers, but it would be problematic if any arrangement I made led to some sort of disruption due to outrage on the part of guests or aspirant non-guests. Not that any of you would be disruptive in your behavior, but even being seen as a guest by others could lead to complications, regardless of how inoffensive you'd remain. I would not be so crass as to actually suggest a contract, but I would take it as a deep personal favor if you could hold yourselves slightly aloof from the guests. I am also not suggesting that you would actually need my services in terms of a favor from me. The enclave does not usually deal in payment, but instead in favors and barter, and I am sure I could arrange something from another organization we work with that would be appreciated."

The intention is to take a hit to Bella's Wealth [1], and then also just offer a favor/barter to be determined later to have these guys not cause some weird convoluted incident just by being chummy, because drow are absolutely insane about any minor slight.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yvonnel Orlyund

Well this was not quite unexpected. She had arrived to see Evelyn meeting up at a school. At least. Especially with one with the title of "Empress." Rille had talked about her a fair bit, and now she was meerting this woman in person.

"Good day." She said to Lyseithe. "It is wonderful to to be able to work on using our gifts to be able to provide for everyone abord this ship and one day an entire world." She said politely.

Taking in the comment about faith Yvonnel wondered for a moment herself. Vaetin was the diety she often prayed to, seeking srength and escape from her unpleasent situation. To which her prayers had been answered, from the looks of things.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Cpt. Penelope Cu' Circa

"Look, all I had to do was drop your name and the whole staff just let me walk right in and, well, y'all should think about who you hire to handle your security. Those hundred year old mana-locks are a solved problem. I did what you told me so I don't know why you're so pissed." Penelope stood at the door of Circa's personal quarters, watching the latter wad up a massive electrical charge in her cybernetic princess parts. "What's the matter, don't you like it?"

Penelope had the collar right around her neck, in between the lapels of her flight jacket. At least her pants were from the formal uniform, and the shirt was at least white and clean. She had brushed out her hair and got it straight and clean looking but the static charge filling the room was doing wild things with it. "I just had some ah, comments, questions, ideas" Blue sparks filled Circa's hand "And if you're wondering why not zap me, its because I'm the best possible asset someone like you can have: Someone who will tell you no and why you're wrong without burying it in asinine decorum like SEBASTIAN and his crew." Penelope eyed Circa's dressing room and the extremely expensive looking set of jewelry laid out for tonight. "I can tell what you're going for, a surpreme display of dominance over your sis, but I got a better idea for doing that." Penelope marched over to the jewel case, shoved aside a terrified maidbot and pulled out the biggest most expensive looking ring, some purple and luminescent gem inside a little gilt cage with the Ariness insignia on it. "Let's try something a little different." Penelope removed the collar, popped off the Krodven tag and slipped the ring in place before putting it back on. "There, now you can make statements."

Her nostrils were filled with the stench of ozone. "You're looking fantastic, by the way, find some heels that go with that, I don't swing with womanlets."

Trash Talk Chutzpah for the roll, Command with an action point for advantage, 4, and 4, success with skill to just march in there and tell her how its going to happen.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 21, 2021

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

SEBASTIAN, Bella: You haggle out some particulars with the leaders of this little street troupe. They have the talent for it and an air about them that speaks of House Ossughym, for all that means. Tireless and cheerful public servants, they always seem to know a little more than they should.

: "Agreed!" SEBASTIAN and Bella will both briefly be Wealth 0 until otherwise noted, though splitting the cost and having some House funds for use greatly shortens how long that will be. Likely until their next allotted paychecks, or financial rations as the youth mockingly say.

: "Two thousand? There's four of us, Haldi, that gets split!" Sharrar is genuinely distraught.. or greedy.. hard to say with some ship cultures. The childhood tales of the likes of the Goblin King are only some degree of exaggeration, after all.

: With a syrupy sweet smile Haldi speaks to SEBASTIAN and Bella. "Excuse me a moment, alright?" She seizes Sharrar by the forearm and pulls him around to an adjacent hallway where the two briefly confer. Somehow they speak without their voices carrying at all, eliminating the chance for eavesdropping. When they return Sharrar looks satisfied. "We agree to your terms as well. Of course we know all the best entertainers and their friends in the city but we understand the needs of House Ariness." She winks. "As for your favor, it is greatly appreciated, Deputy Therapist. You never know when you need a little support.. I've seen a few friends overcome by the idea of the lost and far, haven't you?" The concept of waking up an impossible to mentally comprehend distance away from your birthplace and only knowing the artificial limits of the ship.. it overwhelms many of the ship's less driven populace at times. The wait to stand on a planet's soil hasn't helped.

Bella owes Haldi and Sharrar a Favor. She'll have Disadvantage to try to get more out of them financially or socially until it is repaid.

---

Penelope: (Advantage and double 4s mitigates trying to pass a Social check against Circa while you owe her a favor. Otherwise you'd be using Disadvantage to do so. We'll say it breaks even and your good luck makes the result 4 anyway, a Success.)

: Overwhelming offensive is the Kentuckyan way of life. Or offensiveness, depending on who you're asking. As Penelope barges and fast-talks her way into the private chambers of the Ariness family and into Circa's bedroom in particular she finds herself on the waiting end of an open palm electrical build-up, held up in anger. The finest bravado on the Sominaia sees through the initial storm of outrage and by the end of it the lady of the house is a bit flushed in the cheeks, her servos winding down as she lowers her raised arm. "Kentyuckyan, I.. you.." She bites her lip in a manic grin. "You certainly clean up well.. and the sheer Gods damned nerve of you.." Circa laughs and flings a second proper ring at her. ".. match the complimentary colors.." Stalking over to the other half of the worst relationship on the entire ship, Circa reaches to Penelope's throat and adjusts the collar, helping pair the rings.

"You can tell me No, but I'll do the same. I don't give a poo poo how the House rises until I'm doing it. It amazes me you have any pride left in your old House after how you burned out of it.. but.." She checks the collar and smirks. "I see you're still interested." She heads back to her closet and pulls fine dresses, holding them up to inspect and preview her appearance for the banquet. "I should be hearing Osyth, receiving their blessing, bringing us to glorious conquest on the planet!" She exchanges something leathery and strappy for a demure white outfit. Although it'd match Penelope's dress uniform the juxtaposition with Circa's black cybernetics and Circa's being Circa is jarring. She flutters her eyelashes at you. "Seeing as you are still on probation, I trust you have a better idea to torpedo tonight's mood? Once Reyla is passed over I can get what I'm due and correct these.. mistakes.. and show her a better path, as well." She laughs callously. "Maybe we can just kidnap and ransom one of those other useless noble brats.. I bet that's within your skill-set."

The robo-maid is in a polite holding pattern of assisting and working but intentionally deaf to the conversation outside of key order phrases. A robot can disable and filter audio intake, after all. Unfortunately Penelope has to manually decipher how serious Circa.

---

Reyla, Yvonnel: Your introductions seem to be going well, but then again the worst that could have happened was being thrown out. Or executed. Legally so.

: "Sorry, Highness.. I respect them but I've yet to hear from any of our Gods so.. I don't really think about it." Karmine speaks politely but casually, not ashamed of her answer. Agnostics aren't shunned in this society, though it can be a pain to get around the physical presence of the Ascended, especially for some political aims.

: "Oh my, how gauche.. ahahaha.. I've pledged my life to Cethri, highness, and she has already rewarded me.. would that I could better prove my devotion."

: Karmine seizes Evelyn's staff and pulls it and Evelyn an inch closer to her, scowling. "I simply think I should wait to see if any of the Four or beyond them feels like acknowledging me before I pledge my life to them, Faertala." She lets it go and smiles with some satisfaction.

: "Hah!" Evelyn pulls her staff back and smirks, amused more than anything. "See that you don't wait until you're dead.."

: "Hmm, hmm.." An audible sound of consideration from Lyseithe silences the rest. Then the Empress smiles to Reyla. "A question for a question. I think the Graven One suits you." She gestures to Yvonnel and Evelyn. "And you are in good alignment with others as well." She smiles at Karmine. "I can respect your caution. Sometimes it is best not to be noticed, especially if you have become estranged from their tenets.." Karmine's expression pales a bit. Lyseithe continues. "I've been taught to honor the four, though I find that sometimes.." She passes over the tales in the large illustrated manuscript on her lap. The creation myths. The Goblin King. She settles on a new one, a tale of the Vular's origins and the rise of House Tulen. Seems a mundane and overly embellished tale of the first Drow scientists to devise space-age technology, as well as Tulen's rise when they created the first AI technology. It reads like a real "follow your dreams" classic and ends with an enthusiastic, whimsical dream of a Tulen ancestor looking to the stars as an endless field of opportunities. "Well, the Four are those we know have answered our prayers. Perhaps there's another figure that I would feel better aligned with." She raises a hand to cover her mouth as she titters.

Seems to be the start of a good rapport. Evelyn is sure to thrust ahead and bring up the Ascensions any moment now. You could let her or do it first yourselves... but at some point you need to make an appeal to Lyseithe to get on her good side or request something(most likely a Skill check), or bring Connections to bear. Or perhaps you could genuinely appeal to her with conversation alone? (I'll call for a Skill check if I feel it is needed, though you can choose to fire one from the hip at any time as well.)

---

Dralvas, Narinth: Adil sits up and raises a hand, trying to call to Narinth as she stomps on the harpoon and actually gets a rise out of it. He's quiet as she shows off, though.. the harpoon is a touch too dense to be sent whirling, though Narinth is able to apply leverage and raise it to her hand as stated, as well as wield it. Her body protests but the continued exertion soon awakens all the good aspects of testing physical limits. Whatever the weapon is, it is wildly impractical. Closer look and use of it suggests it isn't a make-shift harpoon but was actually a properly forged spear beaten into its current state by routine use.

As Narinth spears a fist and draws it from the water a Human hand follows it at in an inhuman, unnatural jolt. It stops short of spearing the fish in the side with the index and middle finger held together as one point. A moment later a brown-skinned woman about Omamyn's height with a few inches on him surfaces.

(An art piece that captures the mood, if not the exact details. Also not as much of a scowler..!)

: Wearing a modest spacer-material two-piece, she looks totally human aside from the glowing eyes and the absurd degree of physical perfection. If Narinth is the very model of a military drow frontliner, this is an apex counterpart from humanity. She has long black hair in a braid that extends to her feet, as though it were never cut in her life. She calls out in a playfully frustrated voice. "Hey, you took my prey! And with my own spear! Haha!" She swims over to join you, climbing onto the rail.

: Adil has stood up by now and turns from admiring Narinth's catch to indulge some polite introductions. "This is Narinth dal Krodven, and Dralvas Ammetu." He gestures to each of you with a smile. "This is my mother.."

: "Leila, Leila Ebra-Krodven." She grins at Adil and then offers her hand to each of you to shake, then one last time to accept her spear. She seems pretty young to be a grown man's mother and up close her teeth are clearly unusual, a bit pointed but not as serrated as an actual carnivores and somehow.. different, like they were something different then enamel.

Considering the state of some of the third generation of Ascended, the second generation seems less.. overt. Though given your walking to greet Adil and conversation with him, she must have been underwater for several minutes.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 13, 2022

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Reyla Ariness

Reyla considers that a moment, nodding, "It's entirely possible — while the Four do cover quite a bit of theological space, it's not as though they've split the entirety of existence between their portfolios. Add, too, the prospects of the new horizons we've chosen to explore and settle..." The thought, unbidden, of the odd psionic presence from the screening earlier comes to mind. "...perhaps it will not be long at all before a fifth makes themselves known."

There's a moment of contemplative silence, then Reyla adds, "I may well experience their attentions sooner than not. I hope to undergo Ascension on behalf of House Ariness." She looks at the Empress, curious now at her thoughts, "I've read some accounts of what it's like, but... well, I must admit the prospect seems equal parts enticing and threatening. There's..." She stops, searching for the words, "...something dangerous, I feel, about catching a glimpse of the truth. Something of the struggle between faith and knowledge, perhaps."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Cpt. Penelope Cu' Circa

She keeps her neck straight as Circa finishes up attaching the second ring. "It's less I have love for my house and more, well...in other houses certain members have "accidents", in Krovden, when they get really angry, you have things like "random misplaced bomb that is for some reason directly under your bed room goes off" and enemy snipers hitting you from improbable ranges and directions. I like keeping people angry, but not enough to make me the thing they hate most. Rivals are fine, nemeses are more trouble than they're worth." Circa punctuates that thought by pressing on Penelope's windpipe probably much harder than needed.

Penelope looks Circa up and down and smiles. "I feel accused by that statement, but you are correct; however, why bother kidnapping them when I'm pretty sure I can get them to come along voluntarily and enjoy the ride while the elders and butlers wail and fume? Less chance for accidental brat-cide and also mommy and daddy can't paint them as helpless victims taken in the night."

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 22, 2021

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Penelope: You gently guide Circa away from old-fashioned politicking and into modern high society shenanigans. Or well, at least you barter to not be party to a capital c Crime.

: Circa regards you with not sympathy... but amusement? Less sadism? "Fragging. How distinctly Krodven... must be the mingling with humanity." She hears you out on not, ah, kidnapping people at random. "How very restrained.." Circa gestures to you, holding an outfit up for your opinion. Your approval is unnecessary. "Sounds perfect. Lead a few of the lightweights into making asses of themselves, maybe break something nice that isn't mine." She runs her tongue along her teeth. "I'll be happy to overlook your discretions in the armory if you can cast a untasteful little pall over tonight's dinner in your own special way." She revs her shoulder servos for a moment. "Don't disappoint in this, or you may never get out from under me."

Party harder than culturally acceptable limits. The mission you were born for.

---

Reyla, Yvonnel: Agnostics are welcome but zealots are commonplace. Eve fumes a bit.

: "Heii-hahaha! Other Aspects... you.. you think a lot of yourse..." Eve is staring at Reyla but corrects herself and stops, looking to the Empress who shares the idea. "Well, this is as auspicious a space as can be desired to make that first contact!"

: "What a wonderful idea. I rather enjoy your company, Reyla." As Lyseithe resets the bookmark that was placed at the Tulen Origins fable, Karmine reaches over and grips Reyla's shoulder, giving her a friendly pump and a big smile. Karmine falls back to politically pleasant as Lyseithe looks up again. "Are you excited for it? Ascending.. it.. ah, you could really die." Her smiles shifts to genuine concern. There really is a bit of childishness to her, this young lady could barely be in her seventies, ignoring the time in deep sleep.

: "There's nothing gained without a little risk, highness. I'd only be too happy to try! Why, what's a life spent not knowing your true potential!?"

: "The Prime Evelyn.. Thalotl wept." Karmine leans forward and looks past Reyla, sharing a grin with Evelyn. Evelyn returns a pure sneer.

: "You could be something far greater then you ever imagined." Lyseithe tempers her concern with a little smile for Reyla.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

The mind flayer claps twice, in a cheerly, slightly bouncy way, clasping her hands together.
"Wonderful! I will be overjoyed to provide whatever aid you could require. Within the usual legal and professional boundaries, of course. Ah, and Mister Sharrar, if you're still disappointed regarding financial disbursement, I could arrange certain special services. Again, we liaison with all sorts of types, and there are certain... unique and exclusive experiences that can be facilitated by those in our general line of work. Novelty tends to help a great deal with the irritation and ennui I notice pervading the ship. It would be a fairly small favor on my end, but I know there are those who attempt to make arrangements with a great deal of fruitless dedication, so I hope it would be sufficient to offset the lower pay."

She taps out a few messages, making the final arrangements to have the group admitted and a stage set out for them.
"We need to handle other matters, but I will keep a few feelers out to ensure I or the esteemed Head Butler can step in if there are any complications, either at the door or with the amenities. My deepest thanks, and I hope you all have a wonderful evening."

I think we're heading back?

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

"Sorry for mucking up your tally," Narinth quips with an amused gleam in her eye as she shakes Leila's hand. "But I have an idea how to make it up to you. House Ariness is hosting a banquet in Reyla's honor and you're both cordially invited." She hands back the spear to Leila. "I already spoke with Omamyn and he seemed quite interested. Ah, and he asked me to bring you this." She proffers the bottle containing the red liquid.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Reyla Ariness

Reyla offers a small smile to the Empress in return, "Yes, I've read about the risks. I've been cleared physiologically and psychically, so ideally it will prove a standard Ascension ceremony. Or, perhaps, as standard as they come." She looks at Evelyn, contemplatively, then back to Lyseithe, "Without dragging the conversation to the specifics of familial politics, suffice to say that either path provides a fair risk to my continued well-being... but one path offers a glimpse at something greater."

"From a broader viewpoint, I think that the Sominaia will be glad for every Ascended that can be mustered when it comes time for the ship to land. It's a heavy decision, to be sure, but perhaps one made lighter by many skilled shoulders."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Narinth, Dralvas: Mrs Ebra-Krodven accepts the spear and flicks it around her head, resting it on her shoulders. She also takes the bottle and smiles with a sincere appreciation.

: "So thoughtful!" Leila bites into the cork and pulls it out, then swallows it whole before sniffing the contents of the bottle proper. "A fancy dinner? Reyla? Hmm.. any reason, or are you just that friendly?" She starts to drink heartily from what smells like sweet and fruity wine.

: "I believe she's the third daughter of the House and they're pushing for her Ascension.." Intrigued by the goings on Adil is still standing and chatting with the group, his book set aside.

: Passing the bottle to her son Leila scrunches up her face and her expression bounces between her natural frown of displeasure and attempting to mitigate how obvious it is. "Err.. thanks, but no thanks."

: "They've come all this way, and it sounds like a good time.."

: "And Reyla couldn't come herself?" She flexes her fingers in the hand gripping the spear, rotating it a bit as she thinks and comes to a conclusion, grinning at Narinth. "You'd do better with this girl here." Adil doesn't seem put off by what could be embarrassing for anyone else on the ship.

---

SEBASTIAN, Bella: (Yeah, we can finish here if you'd like. Once we see the outcome of Narinth/Dralvas and Reyla/Yvonnel I'll move to the banquet.)

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

"You're a bold woman, Leila," Narinth replies to her last remark, not betraying her own thoughts on the matter but still seeming amused by the situation. "I take it you care as much about House politics BS as I do. Well, what if I tell you that they're going to be serving up a whole steer for dinner, caught on the planet below? Their chef is not without some skill, so you'll be guaranteed some good chow, at the very least."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Narinth, Dralvas: Adil, not in his mother's line of sight, frantically mouths something and shakes his head at Narinth but alas, he is too late.

: "You're right that I don't care for politics but you must have me mistaken for some of the others if you're gonna try to bribe me with food." In a quick demonstration she gestures for the wine bottle from Adil, who hands it over. She casually bites into the glass itself at the bottom and shreds through like it was a mildly stubborn peach. Inhaling the rest of the wine she crushes the top half of the bottle and swallows the big chunks, little shards and dust all in one go. She takes a step closer to Narinth and frowns severely. "I think those cows are awfully charming.. and I know none of them were old enough to be put out to pasture."

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
Dralvas Ammetu
That is something you should take up with House Gulgos as they are the ones that House Ariness purchased the steer from Lady Ebra-Krodven" Dralvas interjects before the situation gets out of control

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

"I saw Bluebell, she's very pretty." Narinth states matter-of-factly, her expression back to its usual serious edge. "But unless you're planning to make the rest of the Sominaia eat glass from now on, I'm afraid the other muffs are unlikely to be as lucky as her once we make planetfall, and it's not within my power to change that."

"...I can ask SEBASTIAN to cook up some fresh fish for you instead, though. Or something vegetarian. There'll be entertainment and more than enough to drink to get through any number of dull conversations. Your husband and son both want to go. Can we change your mind?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Narinth, Dralvas: The matter of fact approach doesn't seem to be endearing you to them.

: "Father gets along well with almost everyone but I think you're getting a bit excited to assume I'm already going." Adil smiles politely at Narinth. "There are many dull conversations to burn time with in the last month, but this isn't one of them. I'm wondering if you might cut to the chase and tell me what Ariness is getting at?" He grins, clearly flattered by an idea. "You're not the first to go looking for the best of Krodven to parade around.. hell, you're one yourself, Narinth. Surely there's something you see in that House that you didn't see elsewhere. Why don't you help us see that?"

: "... You see? It's always something for something, tit for tat. Imagine if you held a party because you actually liked everyone you were inviting!" She turns on her heel and rests both of her hands along her spear, affecting a very punkish look as she grins at Dralvas. "Maybe I will. Any idiot could see a muffalo is a perfect working partner!"

Time to take your last shot. You could appeal to a few ideas here.. or try some concrete bartering. It is within your power to make up or propose something politically beneficial, though you'd later have to wrangle others into backing up and making it happen.

---

Reyla, Yvonnel: The Empress seems to be getting on well with Reyla and her friends.

: "I appreciate your dutiful outlook. Our work here is absolutely vital.. not many can author new hope as we do."

: Karmine shifts her weight on her feet and looks a bit uncomfortable, or perhaps out of her depth. She's trying to speak when Evelyn suddenly cuts in!

: "Majesty, I think we all have the same high ideals here, don't we? That's really why we wished to see you today.. we can spare charity and guidance to get others motivated but we are the trendsetters you need today." Wringing her staff with both hands, Eve's voice sounds almost feverish.

: "Oh!" Lyseithe clasps her hands together, genuinely startled. "Why.. why, do go on?" Her gaze flickers between Reyla and Eve briefly.

: "I've heard of the recent phenomenon observed on the planet by scouting parties. It's half the whispers of Faertala." She gestures to Yvonnel for a show of support, not waiting to see if she actually nods her assent. "We are your greatest servants in matter of the arcane, and soon.." Eve gestures with one hand to Reyla. "In faith! The rise of Ariness to become a pillar on your council is coming, and that's why.. I have a wonderful proposal for you!" She looks over and beams at Reyla, her gaze absolutely intense, communicating a need for unison here. She focuses on Lyseithe again. "A joint effort, a co-founded colony base, the foremost research initiative on the planet.. and.. and.." With her staff hand she gestures behind her back and out of Lyseithe's sight to Reyla and Yvonnel.

A unified project between Ariness and Faertala would greatly deepen the bonds between the Houses. Might even make them positive and friendly. It'll also be quite a surprise to spring on the leadership of both Houses, being pioneered by you two in the moment here.

But then again Reyla and Ariness would soon be ascendant. Could everyone that isn't in Gulgos or Krodven be content with letting them enjoy the vanguard honors entirely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

"Ariness wants your support for Reyla's ascension," Narinth replies to Adil, cutting to the chase as it were. "As for why you in particular I can only guess, but you seem to already have an idea, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Ariness Head has the same thing in mind. Historically, that's always been a common way to bring two Houses together," she says, looking mildly put off by the idea.

"House Ariness embodies versatility." Narinth looks thoughtfully down at her empty hand and slowly clenches it into a fist. "Soldiering has been my sole focus for a very long time now, and it suits me well, but I have to know if there's something more to life than tearing state enemies to pieces." She lifts her gaze to look at Adil. "Discipline demands structure. In House Krodven you know what to expect of each and every day, but Ariness keeps you guessing. It is interesting, like a taste of the unknown. I think you'd be an idiot to pass on this opportunity to get acquainted with them, they're adept at dealing with problems that can't just simply be shot at. You never know when you might need their help."