Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s alive! And didn’t explode either…

Aesthetic suggest: I have some of the white noctua heatsink cover for my D-15 that go with my chromax fan and white meshify c case and they look very nice.

https://noctua.at/en/products/accessories/heatsink-covers

For you, the black ones or one of the ones with the swappable colored inlays might look pretty nice. Since you have some RGB in your system, the inlays with a choice of whatever main color accent you'd like might be neat. (Or the white inlays for neutral.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

MarcusSA posted:

Anyone know off hand what the lowest someone has taken a 3080 while still keeping the same relative performance?

my ftw3 does 1950mhz @ 925mV. Maybe not the lowest, but a decent place to start I'd say.

edit: oh, that looks like average. the optimum tech video has a nice graph at about 3 mins in.

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 27, 2021

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Here is the Dr Video games video they’ve posted a million times.

https://youtu.be/FqpfYTi43TE

It’s pretty much a no brainer imo

Any point in doing this on a 3060?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Got a 3080ti and a motherboard that doesn't look terrible on today's Newegg shuffle. Dreams do come true, I guess.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Here is the Dr Video games video they’ve posted a million times.

https://youtu.be/FqpfYTi43TE

It’s pretty much a no brainer imo

thank u for posting this so i don't have to

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Any point in doing this on a 3060?

Depends on the type of PC it's in and the quality of its cooler. If you have a big daddy triaxial in a well ventilated midtower and it runs quiet normally, then I probably wouldn't bother (and would instead look into overclocking, if that's a thing for the 3060). If you have a card with a smaller cooler that runs its fans faster and you'd like it to be quieter, then yeah, you could probably improve the thermal performance of even a 3060

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

wolrah posted:

Think about how when you overclock there's usually some amount of clock speed increase you can get without having to overvolt. The "free and safe" overclock that even those of us who don't really care about performance optimization have probably done at least once.

That works both ways. If you have headroom to increase the clock speed without changing the voltage that also means you have headroom to decrease the voltage without reducing the clock speed. You evaluate stability in the same ways as you would when overclocking, but your goal is to get the lowest voltage rather than the highest clock speed. If you do it right you maintain the same performance with less power consumption and thus heat.

but why not choose overclock without increasing the voltage over unclocking to run at stock?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Odd Mutant posted:

but why not choose overclock without increasing the voltage over unclocking to run at stock?

You can.

They do it in that video. They actually seem to overclock while decreasing voltage as well.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Odd Mutant posted:

Because it's not linear. At a certain point there's nothing you can do to get higher performance. So if you're at the max clocks you can get (and modern GPUs and AMD CPUs are very, very good at this, which is why OCing isn't really much of a thing on them) then why run more voltage than you need to? Just run enough voltage to be stable at max performance and no more. Or if you want, dial back performance ever so slightly to get a large thermal benefit. Say you're a Siege player - do you really care about the difference between 450 and 455 FPS, or would you rather your case (and your AC) make significantly less noise?

e - also, again, modern GPUs have multiple factors in the clocks they choose. One of them is total power consumption. Power is volts * amps. Increasing clock speed increases consumed power, because every switch you make at a given voltage consumes a certain amount of power. If you lower voltage without compromising stability, you lower power consumption, leaving room to increase clock speed while maintaining the same total power limit. This is not the only factor in frequency and it's not the primary reason to tune voltage (since for other reasons lowering voltage tends to lower maximum possible clock speed), but it's absolutely a potential benefit in certain circumstances.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 28, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
effectively you have to think about it like it's a form of overclocking but at each lower voltage point, and you just stop scaling clocks beyond a lower voltage than regularly

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

You can.

They do it in that video. They actually seem to overclock while decreasing voltage as well.

On my Ventus 3080 it has a 320w PL that can't be increased via MSI AB, and I "overclocked" via undervolting. Instead of settling at 1860mhz with it's out of the box voltage curve and constantly bouncing off power throttling (which made clocks fluctuate), I just set it to 950mv at 1890mhz. Now I don't hit PL (max out at like a hair under 300w) and clocks are rock stable. So I gained 30mhz at less voltage, heat, temperature, and clock fluctuation.

Should probably do more tuning at some point as I think this can be tweaked better and I still have about 20w to spare, but just haven't been bothered.

Post 9-11 Windows posted:

Undervolting is essentially overclocking; you are overclocking each voltage point on the curve aka making the same voltage point run at higher clocks. Then for it to be a true "undervolt", you simply stop scaling at some point. For 3080s it seems that 900-950mv is the sweet spot for perf/power.

When you just slide the clock slider to the right to "overclock", all you're doing is increasing the clocks the points on the stock voltage curve are set to run at, which is what undervolting is. Just the slider moves the whole curve up at once, whereas the curve editor allows you to be far more granular.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 28, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.newegg.com/abs-ala232-m...ZscyYu3hOG_KiAQ

3060 build

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol i was wondering why my GPU would randomly spin up while doing rando desktop stuff and the razer system software which came with my headphones is loading it on and off

wtf

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Razer's software is incredibly bad. Just wait until it fills your entire system ram with unpageable crap and you're using windows on 500 megs of memory.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Speaking of bad Razer software

https://twitter.com/j0nh4t/status/1429049506021138437

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

can't wait to find out razer is mining on my gpu

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Between their lovely software and horrible employee working conditions, no one should be purchasing Razer products.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

shrike82 posted:

my brother got a 3080 waterblock and has it running at 40+C while gaming which has me envious. the A6000 I have hits 80+C at load even undervolted

custom watercooling sounds painful to get set up - he was talking about breaking the first radiator he got due to threading it wrongly creating a leak

I'm curious why do you have an A6000, it's an expensive card, deep learning stuff or something? I was looking at the A5000 for 3d work + gamez

Also how do games run on it? Any benchmarks?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah hobbyist deep learning

i've only done proper benchmarks on AC:V and WD: Legions: 10-15% slower than a 3090 (G6 vs G6X on the latter)
it runs a lot hotter though - i hit 80ish regularly due to it being a blower card

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SourKraut posted:

Between their lovely software and horrible employee working conditions, no one should be purchasing Razer products.

Someone's probably going to die from using their gimmicky RGB face mask

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder if the reported lack of NVLINK on the 3090 Super is less to do with the death of SLI and more to do with price gating memory-pooling to the A6000. You get a lot of fast VRAM for your money.

The 21Gbps is the most interesting part for performance, I'd imagine an A6000 refresh with 21Gbps GDDR6X replacing the 16Gbps GDDR6 could be monstrous.

shrike82 posted:

my brother got a 3080 waterblock and has it running at 40+C while gaming which has me envious. the A6000 I have hits 80+C at load even undervolted

custom watercooling sounds painful to get set up - he was talking about breaking the first radiator he got due to threading it wrongly creating a leak

There are enough advancements now where if you need to protect high end hardware like an A6000 you can build for longetivity with custom water.

Aquacomputer Leakshield runs negative pressure in your loop to prevent running leaks and can shutdown the system automatically, you can use low conductivity and anti-corrosive long term coolant, and build around medical grade quick disconnects and distro blocks like they do in servers.

High end radiators also have screw stopping plates for that exact reason, it's super common to thread straight into channels otherwise.

If it's not obvious I'd loving love to see you build a rig with and A6000 and/or A100 under water

On the same note, my 3080 waterblock finally arrived. I ordered it from Aquatuning and it took over a month with extremely expensive shipping. It's really sucked to stare at a 3080 on my shelf for 35-ish days.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 28, 2021

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

This doesn't really surprise. Some e-sports fucker was caught backdooring hacks through mouse drivers (because you're allowed to bring your peripherals to certain events).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

If it's not obvious I'd loving love to see you build a rig with and A6000 and/or A100 under water

ServeTheHome did a segment on immersion-tank-cooled servers and I thought that was really darn cool.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I know the 30XXs are loud rear end cards under heavy use but uh what is the acceptable level of loudness one of these is supposed to make? I'm playing RDR2 on my TV in the same room as my PC and it's more or less just a constant buzzing coming from my PC when I'm not in a menu and I have no idea if this is just how it is or if something's up and I should pop it back open and reseat everything or something.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

explosivo posted:

I know the 30XXs are loud rear end cards under heavy use but uh what is the acceptable level of loudness one of these is supposed to make? I'm playing RDR2 on my TV in the same room as my PC and it's more or less just a constant buzzing coming from my PC when I'm not in a menu and I have no idea if this is just how it is or if something's up and I should pop it back open and reseat everything or something.

coil whine?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Canna Happy posted:

coil whine?

I am not sure I've ever heard coil whine before so I can't say for sure but I think this is just the speed of the fans when it really kicks in high gear. I suppose undervolting might help with that if that is indeed the case and I have enough air flow to prevent it from getting too hot?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
if you want to test if your card has coil whine, run 3DMark's Mesh Shader feature test. it hits like 600 fps and makes my card sound like it's trying to drill out of the case
you'll need to own 3dmark but it's $4.49 right now and goes on sale all the time elsewhere. probably other ways to do this that are free

to see if it's fan noise: is it a blower card? have you tried using a custom fan curve?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
furmark is the classic. friend of mine calls it the forbidden hairy doughnut, to look upon it is to drive GPUs mad.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hmm, I guess maybe it is coil whine? I manually nudged up the fan speed to 100% in Afterburner and it doesn't sound like what I hear in-game.

I guess this tracks too because it goes on and off instantly when I pause and unpause the game in RDR

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Running all out, yes, the 3080/3090 FTW3 can be a loud boy. If you are playing on a 60hz TV, cap the framerate to 60hz and it will be a lot quieter.

I would also download X1, go over to the fan curves and click the check box labeled "Fan Curve Control" and click apply. You can also cycle through the included profiles a bit if you want (or set your own), but imo any of the defaults are fine and significantly better than the one that comes preflashed. You probably also want to go over to the setup tab and tell X1 to start with the OS, and to apply previous settings on load (unless you want to come back and recheck that box every time the computer starts).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My 3090 is loud enough when playing FFXIV or RDR2 that I’m tempted to go for a swap to an AIO. It’s an MSI Ventus and I have a decently-sized Be Quiet! case so I think it’s be fine geometrically.

What AIO kits are good for such purposes? Am I likely to gently caress anything up putting it on?

E: hmm, the only AIOs I can find are for reference layouts, which I believe my Ventus is not. I don’t want to have to make a custom loop…

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 28, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

E:Aquacomputer Alphacool make an aio for the Ventus models. Aquatuning.us I believe is the US site.

However it is not an active cooled back (just a metal backplate) so you'll still want some airflow to cool down those G6X chips.

Because of how hot G6X gets I don't think I'd want to go down the CPU AIO + G12 route if that even still works in ampere.

I've been thinking about getting that AIO for my 3080 ventus because it gets loud playing control with the bells and whistles on and for the first time in my life the pc noise is really bothering me. Guess I'm an old now.

VVV that's also worth a try as the vram does get real toasty on my card. But core Temps are also getting to 79c (in 30c ambient)... Maybe a repaste would help a little.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 28, 2021

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Subjunctive posted:

My 3090 is loud enough when playing FFXIV or RDR2 that I’m tempted to go for a swap to an AIO. It’s an MSI Ventus and I have a decently-sized Be Quiet! case so I think it’s be fine geometrically.

What AIO kits are good for such purposes? Am I likely to gently caress anything up putting it on?

E: hmm, the only AIOs I can find are for reference layouts, which I believe my Ventus is not. I don’t want to have to make a custom loop…

Is your GPU getting loud due to the core getting hot or the VRAM getting hot? Swapping the thermal pads on the VRAM might be a better idea to start with if you haven't done so already. I don't have a Ventus but a 3090 FE and the only reason my GPU's fans ever really ramp up isn't due to core temp due to VRAM temps.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Also it doesn't sound like you've tried undervolting, which could significantly reduce heat and thus noise. I'd probably go for making sure heat transfer is happening as well as possible first, though - and perhaps making sure that your case airflow is optimized for your GPU.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

explosivo posted:

Hmm, I guess maybe it is coil whine? I manually nudged up the fan speed to 100% in Afterburner and it doesn't sound like what I hear in-game.

I guess this tracks too because it goes on and off instantly when I pause and unpause the game in RDR

Try a slight undervolt in afterburner to see if it helps with the whine.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

shrike82 posted:

yeah hobbyist deep learning

i've only done proper benchmarks on AC:V and WD: Legions: 10-15% slower than a 3090 (G6 vs G6X on the latter)
it runs a lot hotter though - i hit 80ish regularly due to it being a blower card

Is it throttling at all or just running hot? I wonder if an Accelero cooler would really only buy peace rather than performance ($60 for years of quiet is pretty cheap tho)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the noise on the blower hasn't been noticeable at load

i'm not too fussed about running Nvidia cards in the 80s. i've had 1080Ti/RTX Titans at work run for 80+ flat for days at a time on compute tasks without any issue

honestly, my main issue with hot GPUs at home is the amount of heat they dump out into my study room. i keep thinking of shifting my setup to a thin client at my desk to gaming/compute server in the closet with a 10G hookup

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah i don't mind low 80s when i've got an overclock on, in the summer when the ambient is high at least.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I don't think anything can beat the PS4 in terms of loudness.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't think anything can beat the PS4 in terms of loudness.

the PS4 pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

shrike82 posted:

the noise on the blower hasn't been noticeable at load

i'm not too fussed about running Nvidia cards in the 80s. i've had 1080Ti/RTX Titans at work run for 80+ flat for days at a time on compute tasks without any issue

honestly, my main issue with hot GPUs at home is the amount of heat they dump out into my study room. i keep thinking of shifting my setup to a thin client at my desk to gaming/compute server in the closet with a 10G hookup

It is worth mentioning that the actual GPU temperature doesn't have a whole lot to do with the amount of heat it is putting into the room, the power consumption is the real measure. For instance my system is cooled by a custom water cooler so my GPU never goes much over 50C and my coolant rarely goes over 40C, but it is actually dumping MORE heat into the room than it would on air cooling because on air it would be hotter and would throttle its power consumption slightly to compensate. CPUs and GPUs are incredibly inefficient devices, almost 100% of the power they consume is wasted as heat so you can pretty much always gauge the amount of heat they are putting out by simply measuring the watts at the wall.