Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Instead of panning (which was excruciating) I would pick up surface nuggets as I explored the overworld for crops, mark those locations for potential deposits, then investigate caves near there for ore. I broke my first copper pick before finding more copper (had minecraft rules brain) but on the second one I hit a massive deposit of rich copper in granite which sets you for life, basically.

Turns out I'm decently far north in my game and am hitting negative temps in my October mornings, which does not bode well for winter. I'm tempted to write a mod just to convert Celsius to F on the HUD so my dumb American brain can RP better with how hot or cold its supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
People into the whole digging, mining, building + survival poo poo might be interested in the next big update of 7 Days to Die, they're expanding the construction system and random map gen a whole bunch. If you're not completely sick of the whole zombie apocalypse thing it's a really solid gathering/construction/fighting survival game.

Alpha 20 and beyond dev stream:
https://twitch.tv/videos/1143220952

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

People into the whole digging, mining, building + survival poo poo might be interested in the next big update of 7 Days to Die, they're expanding the construction system and random map gen a whole bunch. If you're not completely sick of the whole zombie apocalypse thing it's a really solid gathering/construction/fighting survival game.

Alpha 20 and beyond dev stream:
https://twitch.tv/videos/1143220952

That looks pretty awesome and I’m going to have to give the game a shot again.

I’ve been watching a let’s play of Vintage Story and it looks pretty good! I wish it had controller support though since I primarily play on a mobile PC. I think I’m going to pick it up anyway because it’s only $16 from humble.

Also I was cleaning out my email and I found my receipt for Project Zomboid from 2011 lol.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Somewhere in there the devs say 7 Days is expected to release Alpha 20 before Halloween.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I wish it had controller support though since I primarily play on a mobile PC. I think I’m going to pick it up anyway because it’s only $16 from humble.

I use a program called Xpadder to map controller inputs to keyboard/mouse. Was worth the $5 or whatever I paid. You can play any game with a controller, I use xbox 360 one.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Totally. When I started a new world given I'm doing it single player, I doubled the spawn rate of ores and put surface copper and cassiterite up one on their list. I left everything else the same as survival, I felt tree growth, animal numbers/yields, etc. were fine, it's getting metal that's the annoying part particularly with harsh winters.

I also made sure the node search option for the prospecting pick was available. Easiest to set at game start, but you can toggle it in a running game too. It gives the prospecting pick two modes - the first is the usual density check on the chunk (plug for the Prospecting mod that overlays pick data on your map as you find it), the node version allows you to check for ore blocks in a radius around where you propick. If you set it at radius 6, when you use node search it gives you a feedback of current ore blocks in a 6 radius cube centered on the rock block you broke. So, when I find a cave or I make a shaft in an area I want to check for ore of a specific type, I can make a 2 block shaft with ladders down to mantle and use the node search on the propick to widen out my area of investigation significantly.

So with all that, you could probably set metal spawning at 150% as currently I'm doing rather well in metal if you like some challenge. It's not super easy to find specific metals to advance, but I'm basically set on at least staying in bronze tier for ages if I hadn't managed to find the giant hematite vein.

Yeah the other propick mode is a godsend. I've got access to iron, just need to go find some copper to build a tier 2 anvil.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I'm entering into my second year and I'm still in the negative temperatures with snow in mid-March. Snow in October maybe should have been a sign my homestead is in the equivalent of Alaska.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is this the place to get some Valhiem help?

Edit: found the Valhiem thread and reposted, sorry.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 13, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So second icarus weekend just ended, did anyone try it again this time? Was it just like, the same thing again on a different map?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VegasGoat posted:

I use a program called Xpadder to map controller inputs to keyboard/mouse. Was worth the $5 or whatever I paid. You can play any game with a controller, I use xbox 360 one.

Thanks I’m gonna look into this!

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

30.5 Days posted:

So second icarus weekend just ended, did anyone try it again this time? Was it just like, the same thing again on a different map?

It's the same map, just bigger now, with a few more biomes you can stumble into.

I really want to like Icarus, but with the second weekend I'm seriously doubting they will be able to pull it off. I'm just playing solo, so it could be that some of it is coming from balance around the multiplayer.

First off is the leveling. I think xp rewards need to be tweaked to be a bit more generous. Right now I feel like I don't earn enough through just what I'm doing to survive to make it feel natural. I have to go out and grind to get to the next level. The tech tree and skill tree are way too loving big, and I get that's probably to make it so you and your buddies can specialize and work together, but for soloing, it's poo poo. I hate that I wasted tech points in thatch that I'll never get back, and I'm never going to build thatch poo poo again after unlocking wood (and same with wood if I bother unlocking stone). This is especially bad with the weather system. Again, it's another thing that sounds good on paper, but in practice everything but a light rain will destroy thatch/wood structures rather quickly. As soon as the weather alert comes up it's a race back to the house to play whack-a-mole with the repair hammer and fire whacker to keep your poo poo from collapsing.

My other bitch about the tech tree is the stupid ordering of some of the things. You can unlock anti-parasitic drugs right off the bat, but you can't unlock one of the necessary ingredients until level 10 and the crafting bench/mortar & pestle. If you don't unlock the suture kit (which I think was new this weekend) have fun with the 10 minute debuff from getting into a fight with a bear (it persists through death too!).

I'm a bit more ok with the skill trees I guess, because while some things are definitely better than others, it's not like you can really make the game harder by picking the wrong skills. It all just seems kinda pointless though, because it's all just a percentage boost to something or a gated recipe unlock. Nothing that really materially changes the game (that I've found yet).

I get why they did the character wipe, because they did muck around with the tech tree enough that without a couple of the newer things (like that suture kit) you're kinda boned. If they do another wipe though I don't think I'm gonna bother with another weekend. The grind is too goddamn much. And given how janky the tech tree feels still, I imagine they'll have to do another reset (or just give a way to respec, which would probably be the best solution).

The bears are out of goddamn control too. They boosted the spawn rate on them or something, because they're always popping in and wrecking my poo poo. If I can see one first I usually stand a fighting chance, but only then. The deep wound debuff is annoying, and if it's not treated it becomes a festering wound that saps your stamina and reduces your xp gain (all of the debuffs that reduce the xp gain are bullshit).

Oh, and I'm still salty about the xp penalty. I like the idea that death has consequences, but whatever galaxy brain came up with just taking away all the xp you've gained for the level should be put up against a wall. The best time to get into a fight with a bear is right after you level. If you get murked right before you level, whelp, have fun grinding out that entire loving level again.

Tech side of things, the game was a lot smoother when I ran it in DX12 mode (even though it says it's unstable). It still chugs a lot in DX11 (this is with a 5900x and a 3090; that's like, star citizen levels of lovely performance). There were some graphics glitches, unmatched seams in the terrain and poo poo like that, which maybe that's the unstable they're talking about. No crashes though, so :bravo: at least they got that.

That's a lot of words for a lovely game. There is the potential for something cool buried in there, but there is so much stupid crap covering it up I'm not optimistic it'll turn out worth playing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Everything I've seen of Icarus is that it's interchangeable with literally any other "open world multiplayer survival crafting early access" title on Steam, with the same pitfalls and no innovation. Their big gimmick has yet to materialize in an interesting way and even if it does, with the context of the gameplay itself, it's feeling more and more like it's just going to be a thin "prestige" system. I'm not hopeful.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I was very excited when I first heard about it but, after watching it on twitch, I agree that "interchangeable with literally any other "open world multiplayer survival crafting early access" title on Steam" is a perfect description.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I picked up Vintage Story last night and I've been having a lot of fun with it but I've had to do a bit of google work to figure some stuff out. It is a good experience so far though!

I did look and didn't see a dedicated thread for it yet right?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Valency posted:

It's the same map, just bigger now, with a few more biomes you can stumble into.

I really want to like Icarus, but with the second weekend I'm seriously doubting they will be able to pull it off. I'm just playing solo, so it could be that some of it is coming from balance around the multiplayer.

First off is the leveling. I think xp rewards need to be tweaked to be a bit more generous. Right now I feel like I don't earn enough through just what I'm doing to survive to make it feel natural. I have to go out and grind to get to the next level. The tech tree and skill tree are way too loving big, and I get that's probably to make it so you and your buddies can specialize and work together, but for soloing, it's poo poo. I hate that I wasted tech points in thatch that I'll never get back, and I'm never going to build thatch poo poo again after unlocking wood (and same with wood if I bother unlocking stone). This is especially bad with the weather system. Again, it's another thing that sounds good on paper, but in practice everything but a light rain will destroy thatch/wood structures rather quickly. As soon as the weather alert comes up it's a race back to the house to play whack-a-mole with the repair hammer and fire whacker to keep your poo poo from collapsing.

My other bitch about the tech tree is the stupid ordering of some of the things. You can unlock anti-parasitic drugs right off the bat, but you can't unlock one of the necessary ingredients until level 10 and the crafting bench/mortar & pestle. If you don't unlock the suture kit (which I think was new this weekend) have fun with the 10 minute debuff from getting into a fight with a bear (it persists through death too!).

I'm a bit more ok with the skill trees I guess, because while some things are definitely better than others, it's not like you can really make the game harder by picking the wrong skills. It all just seems kinda pointless though, because it's all just a percentage boost to something or a gated recipe unlock. Nothing that really materially changes the game (that I've found yet).

I get why they did the character wipe, because they did muck around with the tech tree enough that without a couple of the newer things (like that suture kit) you're kinda boned. If they do another wipe though I don't think I'm gonna bother with another weekend. The grind is too goddamn much. And given how janky the tech tree feels still, I imagine they'll have to do another reset (or just give a way to respec, which would probably be the best solution).

The bears are out of goddamn control too. They boosted the spawn rate on them or something, because they're always popping in and wrecking my poo poo. If I can see one first I usually stand a fighting chance, but only then. The deep wound debuff is annoying, and if it's not treated it becomes a festering wound that saps your stamina and reduces your xp gain (all of the debuffs that reduce the xp gain are bullshit).

Oh, and I'm still salty about the xp penalty. I like the idea that death has consequences, but whatever galaxy brain came up with just taking away all the xp you've gained for the level should be put up against a wall. The best time to get into a fight with a bear is right after you level. If you get murked right before you level, whelp, have fun grinding out that entire loving level again.

Tech side of things, the game was a lot smoother when I ran it in DX12 mode (even though it says it's unstable). It still chugs a lot in DX11 (this is with a 5900x and a 3090; that's like, star citizen levels of lovely performance). There were some graphics glitches, unmatched seams in the terrain and poo poo like that, which maybe that's the unstable they're talking about. No crashes though, so :bravo: at least they got that.

That's a lot of words for a lovely game. There is the potential for something cool buried in there, but there is so much stupid crap covering it up I'm not optimistic it'll turn out worth playing.

They massively boosted crafting XP and me and my friends start leveling really fast once we just running and grabbed everything surrounding us and turning it into different pieces of building materials or more bone arrows. Bears went from "oh God I'm gonna die" to "where did that sack of XP go, I swear I just heard one" after we unlocked longbows.

Solo mode is way too punishing, for comparison if you have a friend they can just revive you on the spot and you lose nothing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The whole idea of a limited amount of unlock tokens you spend on recipes of your choice as you level up is ripped straight from ARK, and it has the exact same negative consequence: fucks over solo players, demands needlessly divided classes in clans (and with more coordination than most groups are capable of), unlocks in the wrong order, and wasting points on early structures you'll never use again. ARK also had it so you could unlock the core building components of every tier (straw, wood, etc, just like Icarus) by themselves, and then you could buy a second or sometimes even third unlock to get the fancier pieces, corner blocks, ramps, and so on. Because unlock points are rare and finite, nobody would ever buy these. Why would you, when after a few levels you'll never use this tier again? So every building was made with the most basic parts and it was all blocky and ugly.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I picked up Vintage Story last night and I've been having a lot of fun with it but I've had to do a bit of google work to figure some stuff out. It is a good experience so far though!

I did look and didn't see a dedicated thread for it yet right?

I didn’t see a dedicated thread either.

Repaired my first static translocator, once I tunneled out it was in the middle of huge mountains with ice caps, about 6C colder than home. Exploring has been difficult due to the rugged terrain, but I did find a commodity trader and got some salt.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

I didn’t see a dedicated thread either.

Repaired my first static translocator, once I tunneled out it was in the middle of huge mountains with ice caps, about 6C colder than home. Exploring has been difficult due to the rugged terrain, but I did find a commodity trader and got some salt.

I am really enjoying the game so far and I'm curious how the dev is going to go.

Green Hell is on sale for $17.50 and I'm tempted but how kick in in the balls hard is it?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I am really enjoying the game so far and I'm curious how the dev is going to go.

Green Hell is on sale for $17.50 and I'm tempted but how kick in in the balls hard is it?

It's fine. If you see other people stay away, they'll kill you.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
On the topic of Vintage Story and sharing homesteads, here's the little base that I've whipped up so far:

The mighty windmill enjoys a complete lack of linen for the sails. I'm finally in crop-growing temperatures in... mid-April. Made a wild trek far, far south to scout out Terra Preta and it took longer than I expected. Found a trader selling a fur coat, went and grabbed my gears and came back but a day later his inventory had swapped even though the interface said "6 days until restock". Did I miss something there?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

It's fine. If you see other people stay away, they'll kill you.

Except for the dudes out strolling around and singing. They're cool.

Honestly, stay away from anything you might have to fight. Not only is it dangerous and expensive to recover from, it just isn't fun at all.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Picked up Valheim since it's on sale. It was a toss-up between that, Vintage Story, or Zomboid.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I bought vintage story- what difficulty is everyone playing on? I immediately chose survival and it spawned me next to a wolf and then I had a chain of 2 more deaths of immediately respawning next to a wolf and then a fox. Thinking I might not do survival difficulty.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Imagine getting killed by a fox

Edit- like in real life I mean, I’m sure it makes sense in that game or whatever

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Arven posted:

I bought vintage story- what difficulty is everyone playing on? I immediately chose survival and it spawned me next to a wolf and then I had a chain of 2 more deaths of immediately respawning next to a wolf and then a fox. Thinking I might not do survival difficulty.

Wolves are going to be (near) instant death for a while. At least until you get metal weapons.

That's why I stayed on that difficulty but turned on the option to keep your inventory on death. I don't mind getting penalized when you die but I hate corpse runs.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've never heard of vintage story but it looks interesting; how much, if any, direction is there for the gameplay? I'm not saying I need a story, but is there any goal beyond living as long as possible?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've never heard of vintage story but it looks interesting; how much, if any, direction is there for the gameplay? I'm not saying I need a story, but is there any goal beyond living as long as possible?

Having just bought it yeah that’s pretty much it. It’s about survival through the various ages (stone, copper, iron ect). The crafting is pretty unique and there are actually npc traders you can find in the world as well. I also watched like 2 hours of YouTube let’s plays before I started so I kinda had a decent idea what I should be doing since it is pretty directionless.

I’ve also decided against Green Hell. I watched a let’s play and some of the systems seemed a bit too much and reading some of the more critical negative reviews on steam kinda confirms that. Also the game seems to have some issues with tribal spawning (which I also saw in the stream) and brain dead AI.

One of the reviews mentioned that you could essentially just get a bow and that’s kinda all you’d really need to plow through the game and again watching someone else play it seemed like that could be the case.

I like the idea of managing your food intakes but the game seems to take it over the top into unrealistic territory.

Also the first part of the story seems fuckin stupid. I may not be a history nerd but I’m pretty sure there’s no such thing as an American conquistador.

I think they might have some decent ideas with the game but I dunno.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Godlessdonut posted:

Wolves are going to be (near) instant death for a while. At least until you get metal weapons.

That's why I stayed on that difficulty but turned on the option to keep your inventory on death. I don't mind getting penalized when you die but I hate corpse runs.

Heck I’m in Iron Age in survival mode but I’ve not been into building armor and wearing it while exploring so wolves are still terrifying. I can kill them once I know they are there with my longbow, but if I mistime my jumps while kiting it’s curtains for me. I did find something that your character is better at than wolves which gives you a significant advantage if you’re in the right area use water to your advantage

You could make your long term goal to get to steel age, that’s either simple or extremely difficult depending on where you spawn. Otherwise it’s true there’s no story or quests, though there are lore books you find to give you an idea of the world. It’s a bit more of a challenging build your nice relaxing homestead game as compared to Minecraft. I’ve built big creations before in survival Minecraft (large villager towns, etc), but I never got the satisfaction out of it that I do with Vintage Story. Vanilla Minecraft just feels too simplistic/gamified (queue me leading an entire herd of wild cows into a pen with some wheat), while some of the systems just feel tacked on without interacting with each other. For some reason, Minecraft’s implementation and usage of honey and watermelons in particular has bothered me, and the lack of combining foods together to make something more bothered me too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Are the bows in vintage story still extremely weak? I admit I never got past copper but even after making a “proper” bow with some of my first precious mats of the type needed instead of the Hunter’s makeshift bow I found it extremely worthless even with copper arrowheads. A brace of javelins was far deadlier and more reliable.

And the was playing the class that gives a bow bonus!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I ended up going with starting a new game in survival mode with the world map turned on, seems like a fair compromise for my sanity as I'd never know how to get back to my base after death otherwise.

This game is really, really sucking me in. I've been bouncing hard off minecraft every time I've tried it for 10 years now, but this game is extremely my jam. My only frustration is that I feel like there are a lot of crafting things that I am supposed to know from minecraft that it takes for granted that you know already, so the wiki is extremely sparse. I also usually like to play survival games for a while without resorting to the wiki, but like zomboid that's impossible in this game. Some of the systems are so obtuse that I don't understand how you'd ever figure them out without a guide.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
hey all I picked up void train last month when I was really feeling like One Of These because I dug the aesthetic and trains are neat but... it seems really bad? it's like raft but if you couldn't build anything to make collecting poo poo easier for at least way too long?

am I just missing something or what?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MarcusSA posted:

Green Hell has multiple discrete difficulty sliders so you can turn off various threats and requirements individually, for a pretty custom-tailored experience. Turning off tribal warriors is probably the only thing I'd recommend personally, since they don't add much to the experience and the AI's not great. But even stuff like food requirements can be tweaked to your liking, snakes turned off, etc.

Survival systems are complex enough to be involved but that's the fun of it, and I don't think they're as daunting as reviews might make it out to be. You have four nutrition categories, each one roughly mapping to a type of food: Protein from meat, fats from nuts, carbs from fruits, then water. Each one is 25% of your max hp. Nutritionally, only dehydration or total starvation will actually kill you, so you can for example go completely without protein and still survive just fine, you'll just be limited to 75% max health.
Then you have various ailments, and you either have to use an item on a body part, eat something, or wait it out. Clear leeches, rest out a fever and stay hydrated, don't eat while you have food poisoning, pretty intuitive stuff, and each one has a page in your journal explaining what causes it, what it does, and how it's treated. Eat different foods, treat cuts with bandages, avoid poisonous animals where possible. Only test unknown herbs and new foods while you're healthy so you can survive any possible negative effects, and you'll automatically record the effects for next time. Once you learn a few remedies things get even easier.

The one thing I'd say absolutely needs tutorializing and that I've seen a lot of streamers stumble on is how to get fresh water more easily. Drinking dirty water has a chance to give you parasites, which can be cleared by eating certain fairly common foods. "Dirty" water is more likely to give parasites than "unsafe", and "clean" is totally fine. Parasites don't even kill you, just make your nutrition go down a little faster. Early on, you can get by drinking the cleanest water you can find and purging any received parasites with foods. But you'll want to prioritize getting a coconut, whose cleaned halves you can leave out to catch rain for clean drinking water. A second coconut will let you make a bidon to carry water. At that point, you're set, since you can just leave coconut halves around a fire, fill them with dirty water using your bidon, and they'll boil clean in just a few seconds.

egg tats posted:

hey all I picked up void train last month when I was really feeling like One Of These because I dug the aesthetic and trains are neat but... it seems really bad? it's like raft but if you couldn't build anything to make collecting poo poo easier for at least way too long?

am I just missing something or what?
I had the same reaction. They're so incredibly stingy with resources, yet everything is so expensive. You can't "farm" commonly required resources like in Raft. The only way to get materials is to wait till they float by, and every material is roughly as common as the next, so if you need 1 chemical and 20 metal, you can't prioritize metal. In most survival games, you can, usually by going to wherever metal is found and specifically gathering there -- mining, finding ore, exploring islands, whatever. But this is a survival game where the only way to get materials is to wait for them to be sprinkled down on you, so you can't even do that.
Apparently auto-collection is on their planned feature list but until it's in, the game is 90% swimming around and grabbing items one at a time, forever.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 17, 2021

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are the bows in vintage story still extremely weak? I admit I never got past copper but even after making a “proper” bow with some of my first precious mats of the type needed instead of the Hunter’s makeshift bow I found it extremely worthless even with copper arrowheads. A brace of javelins was far deadlier and more reliable.

And the was playing the class that gives a bow bonus!

Javelins/spears are going to be superior damage output to bows at range, even with super good arrows. My black bronze spear does 8 damage when thrown.... but the numbers you can carry and still be able to loot things is low. Meanwhile, while the longbow (I picked hunter class too for precisely this reason, I also love the move speed buff) does only 3.25 damage, you can easily carry 100+ arrows and have loads of space for loot.

Arven posted:

I ended up going with starting a new game in survival mode with the world map turned on, seems like a fair compromise for my sanity as I'd never know how to get back to my base after death otherwise.

This game is really, really sucking me in. I've been bouncing hard off minecraft every time I've tried it for 10 years now, but this game is extremely my jam. My only frustration is that I feel like there are a lot of crafting things that I am supposed to know from minecraft that it takes for granted that you know already, so the wiki is extremely sparse. I also usually like to play survival games for a while without resorting to the wiki, but like zomboid that's impossible in this game. Some of the systems are so obtuse that I don't understand how you'd ever figure them out without a guide.

I've got the minimap up and when I pull up world map I use the waypoint system (right click on the location on the world map you want to make a waypoint) to keep track of things. Color and icon coded too! Only a few things do I pin to keep on minimap.

The whole mechanical power thing I definitely had to look up.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah I get the space vs power thing but bows being so week just feels bad.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I think the only way I ever successfully killed anything in Vintage Story (aside from basic drifters who you can just poke three times with whatever), is to lure it into a pit and then stand on the edge and jab it with a spear. Never got the hang of actually doing anything useful with a bow.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
My impression of Vintage Story is that you'd want to have the minimap on as well as look up crafting recipes. The minimap especially as searching for essential things like Fire Clay, metals, and Terra Preta can have you ranging pretty far abroad from where-ever your base is. Plus the biome and terrain variance is huge and makes exploration really fun.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think the only way I ever successfully killed anything in Vintage Story (aside from basic drifters who you can just poke three times with whatever), is to lure it into a pit and then stand on the edge and jab it with a spear. Never got the hang of actually doing anything useful with a bow.

The bow might be better done with hunter class due to move speed buff, and without any armor that impacts move speed. As something's approaching, I shoot it 2-3 times with the bow - if I can be backpedaling while doing so, great.

When it gets close, I pull my spear. A wolf I'll usually just keep running, sometimes in circles, occasionally spinning for a single arrow shot until it decides to flee. For drifters, you can get close enough to trigger their attack which then causes them to pause, and get a hit or two in with sword or spear, while they stand there and you are untouched. There's some pushback with the spear, so a backpedal and constant spear strikes can sometimes keep an enemy at arms length.

I hate swords. I love spears for the extra reach in melee.

Other thing to note while fighting things is using ladders on walls or pillars. While drifters can climb, they can't jump then climb. I'll stick a few ladder pieces on a wall on the... 3rd? block up which I can jump and grab to climb on, but drifters can't reach that high. I can then be holding on to the ladder, maybe get a spear hit in, maybe switch to bow, or maybe wait for the attackers to go on wander momentarily and then jump off, stab some folks, then jump back on the ladder.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you are out in the world you can fight things in water with the spear as well. Makes killing wolves a lot easier.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Public safety notice for those playing Vintage Story: The world can generate with blocks that respect gravity (sand, gravel) suspended in air, and they'll only recognize they should be respecting gravity if they receive an update. I've dealt with this a few times with sand and gravel, but not in the water yet! I was harvesting some Cooper's Reed at the edge of a small ocean in the water and was hearing some drifters nearby but didn't see a hole. Once I harvested the Cooper's Reed, the muddy gravel block under it received it's update and dropped 20 blocks down, along with ~6 in every direction. I was able to keep myself swimming while the water blocks were draining down below, where about a dozen drifters were gathered, and scrambled up an edge after finding many edges I could not climb because the force of the water pulling me down was sufficient to keep me from popping high enough in the water to climb up. Unfortunately, my hot bar did not have any blocks I could place and I didn't want to risk opening the inventory and dropping through the water.

I've been in progress of building a stone path from home to the bauxite biome I managed to find, though it's about... 1200 blocks away? I'm about half way done, and there is an absolutely huge mountain in the way (where I found my first olivine) so I'll be tunneling straight through that and sticking loads of lanterns up.

I managed to create a bit of an automated pulverizer using hoppers, an elbow chute, and a chest, which has been a huge efficiency improvement. I've been having problems though trying to use a large gear to make a complicated mess of a mechanized system where I could have my pulverizer, helve hammer, and quern all hooked up and ready to use (with brakes to keep them from using power when not needed), but I just can't get enough power out of the large gear to run the helve hammer or pulverizer even when a single axle/angled gear set up works. I guess that's the whole, "large gear to small gear" problem, but I'm not sure how to fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

HelloSailorSign posted:

I managed to create a bit of an automated pulverizer using hoppers, an elbow chute, and a chest, which has been a huge efficiency improvement. I've been having problems though trying to use a large gear to make a complicated mess of a mechanized system where I could have my pulverizer, helve hammer, and quern all hooked up and ready to use (with brakes to keep them from using power when not needed), but I just can't get enough power out of the large gear to run the helve hammer or pulverizer even when a single axle/angled gear set up works. I guess that's the whole, "large gear to small gear" problem, but I'm not sure how to fix that.

Put power into the large gear via a small gear and take it back out with small gears if your trying to split the power train in multiple directions. If your directly spinning the big gear by it's axle the system will generally not have enough torque to handle anything past a small Archimedes screw stack, unless you're powering it via multiple windmills during a storm. I generally completely ignore the axle on the big gear and that's done me favors in building power systems.

Also figuring out you can chain angled gears together was useful for needing to make one block adjustments.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 23, 2021