Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Skulk Hogan posted:

I would figure the last one, the bride being the believers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bride_of_Christ

The context is a bizarre conspiracy theory book (NESERA, The Mark of the Beast) directed to Christians, so more text doesn't make it make any more sense (definitely nothing about marriage beforehand). I think it definitely is the last one.

Thanks, all. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Speaking of :tinfoil:, a Romanov royal wedding has been held in Russia for the first time since 1917.

Bonus fancy hats and gorgeous Orthodox vestments video:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1443914844529332227?s=19

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I'm sorry do they have crowns floating above them. Royalty must not be presented with even the burden of a heavy hat!

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Freudian posted:

I'm sorry do they have crowns floating above them. Royalty must not be presented with even the burden of a heavy hat!

It's probably just because they are pretenders to the throne. If they were *actual* royalty they would wear the crowns of their Houses, but since they only claim the thrones with no backing, they have symbolic crowns.

EDIT: VVVV Figures VVV

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 1, 2021

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
It's actually because of a religious Orthodox tradition. :ssh:

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Freudian posted:

That’s actually a very important historical metaphor. You see, power is close to them, but forever out of their grasp, no matter how much they want it. It’s got a very Tantalus vibe to it.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
A relatively old Russian joke:

A man walks into a police station for questioning. Sitting down across from a cop, he tries to start the conversation.
“Look, it’s all a misunderstanding, comrade sergeant.”
“Surely you know they cancelled all the comrades back in ‘91?”
“Ah. Then what should I call you?”

The cop thinks for a moment.

“You should address me as a man of my position deserves. Call me ‘lord sergeant’.”
“Surely you know we shot all the lords in ‘17?”

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Freudian posted:

It's just how the ritual traditionally goes in Russia.

In Greece, they use flower crowns.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think where people are stuck is that there's someone off to the side holding little rods that the crowns are hanging from, so it looks like they're floating.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Can someone explain the crown thing to me?
I gather it’s not just pseudo royalty Romanov BS but something with actual religios meaning.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

I gather it’s not just pseudo royalty Romanov BS but something with actual religios meaning.

I had to google to refresh my memory, but crowns represent martyrdom and in marriage you're a martyr to your partner (you're dying to yourself in order to serve your partner). Google also says something about sharing in the kingdom, but that's not the explanation that I've heard.

Here's my normal caveat that I wasn't raised Orthodox am bad at BEING orthodox and converted after my marriage.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cyrano4747 posted:

According to St. John Chrysostom, the crowns (made of flowers in his time) symbolise the couple's victory over lust. The tradition most likely comes from pre-Christian marriage rituals, though.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's a pre-Christian (as in, pre-the existence of Christianity) custom popular in the Greek world. Originally it was mostly just for royalty like the Byzantine emperors, but over time, as the Church gained more authority over marriage customs, crowning spread to all Orthodox faithful, with the meanings described above.

At first, most weddings were civil/social ceremonies, even well after Constantine, but Christians could still get a blessing from a priest if they wanted, usually during the Liturgy. Eventually weddings became their own ceremony, which is how things stand today. Here's Fr. John Meyendorff on how marriage developed in Eastern Christianity.

Also, IIRC, there are no vows.

Also also, Byzantine emperors tended to choose their wives sort of like The Bachelor.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 2, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They were preselected based on popularity and the entire enterprise was made to build clout instead of a lasting, loving marriage? You might actually be on to something

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Keromaru5 posted:

Also also, Byzantine emperors tended to choose their wives sort of like The Bachelor.

Yeah by sneaking into their rooms and night and stabbing their previous husbands? I'd watch thats show.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I absolutely love listening to the local church radio program and texting in about a particular passage in the Bible and the host says, "Incidentally I was going to use that in my sermon today." :allears:

(Ephesians 4:17-32 if you're curious.)

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
My stay at the Monastery ends soon and I just got off the phone with the Vocations Director. I will be moving forward with formation. In November I will be coming back to the Monastery to get health and wellness checks and assuming that that and all the paperwork go through I will be entering the Monastery in January as a postulant. For the uninitiated a postulant lives the life of work and prayer (and recreation) but without vows so I will be called by my baptismal name and wear civilian clothes, not a habit. I am very excited for this opportunity; I did not think this would happen for my life. Thank you all for your support, good thoughts, and prayers.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That's awesome! :woop:

Best of luck in making this leap. May God's grace be with you.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Mods please change Thirteen Orphans name to Brother Goon.

So happy for you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My stay at the Monastery ends soon and I just got off the phone with the Vocations Director. I will be moving forward with formation. In November I will be coming back to the Monastery to get health and wellness checks and assuming that that and all the paperwork go through I will be entering the Monastery in January as a postulant. For the uninitiated a postulant lives the life of work and prayer (and recreation) but without vows so I will be called by my baptismal name and wear civilian clothes, not a habit. I am very excited for this opportunity; I did not think this would happen for my life. Thank you all for your support, good thoughts, and prayers.

That's wonderful news! Congratulations.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Worthleast posted:

Mods please change Thirteen Orphans name to Brother Goon.

So happy for you.

Or Brother Thirteen? Brother Thirteen has a ring to it...

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Thank you all for your support, good thoughts, and prayers.

:dance: Excited for you!!

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Congrats. Please share how the food is because half of my brain is dedicated to the subject. What's the dining situation?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
my completely unfounded assumption is that monastery food is either extremely bland and boring or effin' awesome and there's no real in-between

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

zonohedron posted:

Or Brother Thirteen? Brother Thirteen has a ring to it...

:dance: Excited for you!!

Thirteen Brothers, surely

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Thirteen Orphans posted:

May you find happiness on the path God has called you to follow. Best of luck, Brother Goon.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Thirteen Brothers, surely

Thirteen Brothers, one God :D

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

my completely unfounded assumption is that monastery food is either extremely bland and boring or effin' awesome and there's no real in-between

I stayed a couple days a monetary once during lent and had some spaghetti with red sauce. Probably the best boring food I've ever had.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Fritz the Horse posted:

When I visited the Benedictines their food was simultaneously boring and awesome. Like delicious and healthy but not something to think about after the meal.

Beets were the main event.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Congrats. Please share how the food is because half of my brain is dedicated to the subject. What's the dining situation?

The food is actually pretty good. Not “foodie” level good, but everything tastes great. There’s no meat on Fridays and I’m sure Lent will have it’s own thing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

This is just my from the hip observation but I’ve noticed that if you’re not used to cooking from scratch, anything made that way tasted amazing even if it’s not foodie grade blowing your socks off. Fresh ingredients and spending time in the kitchen makes all the difference.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
What is a day in the life of a monk like? Not just work and prayer, but examples of what kind of work, etc. Do each monk have a special job, or is there a Brother James is on clean the bathroom duty this month, next month he will switch Brother Andrew who serves the meals this month, sort of system?

Also, are monastic dwellers allowed to have a sense of humour?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
WILL YOU BE BREWING BEER

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Do they let you post on dead web 1.0 comedy forums?

(Also, congratulations!)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

He could send one of us a letter and we could scan it in for him :3:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Shitposting by proxy!

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Congrats Brother, May your path towards a new vocation be filled with joy and God's Grace.

quote:

This is just my from the hip observation but I’ve noticed that if you’re not used to cooking from scratch, anything made that way tasted amazing even if it’s not foodie grade blowing your socks off. Fresh ingredients and spending time in the kitchen makes all the difference.

100%. My wife is a dietitian and grew up with fresh home-cooked meals every day. Even though we both work we make sure most of our meals are home-made as well, it's definitely better than 99% of store-bought stuff, even if it is a big time commitment.

Frozen pizza still tastes better though, it's all the salt.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Salt and fat are flavor. Hence why the key to tasty restaurant food is all the butter humanly available. :)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Your really just gonna out the secret of french cookery like that

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gaius Marius posted:

Your really just gonna out the secret of french cookery like that

Southern cooking, too. What snooty food people don't like to admit about Southern cooking is that it's mainly a mix of French and African techniques and recipes, then adapted to the ingredients available in the southern US.

https://i.imgur.com/1rKOGMV.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

“Snooty food people” absolutely love southern cooking for that historical aspect (generally if they’ve read anything by Michael Twitty) in my experience