Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rhymenoserous posted:

I think one of the worst moments in battletech besides Aleric Wolfs parentage was the description of that drink and what was used to cut it. Ugh.

You mean the house variants of it? https://www.sarna.net/wiki/PPC_(beverage)

Because none of those combos sound very appetizing to me either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't think they're the kind of drink you down because you enjoy it, you do it to prove a point.

Also the worst moment in BattleTech is every time Kai is around.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
If anyone’s been trying to source a BT:AGoAC box, Barnes and Noble had them in stock today.

link here

If you order it with the preorder Clan Assault Lance box, they won’t ship it until December, so order separately.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Anyone know of any place doing pre-orders of wave 2 sets and wave 1 restocks?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

You mean the house variants of it? https://www.sarna.net/wiki/PPC_(beverage)

Because none of those combos sound very appetizing to me either.

From experience when I was younger and more foolish, I can confirm all of them are pretty bad. (The Steiner variant was the best, mostly because the peppermint overwhelmed everything else.)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Still preferable to a flaming pelican.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Those all sound awful, though maybe the plum wine one is ok? I usually like plum wine and I wouldn't be surprised if people actually did mix it with baijiu.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Y'know, I'm thinking some Mechwarrior in the setting just HAS to have invented a drink called the Headshot (also could probably have an Ammo Explosion, or a Neural Feedback), but I don't know liquor well enough to come up with a recipe for any of those sadly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Headshot is a Clan drinking challenge that's just chugging a cup of their non-toxic 'Mech coolant and then taking a punch to the face from an elemental.

Winner is the last person to remain conscious.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Headshot is a Clan drinking challenge that's just chugging a cup of their non-toxic 'Mech coolant and then taking a punch to the face from an elemental.

Winner is the last person to remain conscious.

I bid three punches and two shots a round. Care to ante up, freebirth?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Are the mechs in the Legendary ForcePack an Archer, a Marauder, a Mad Cat, and a Masakari?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I think the Clan assault mech is a Daishi.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Dang, I already have one and don't really see a point in a second. I kind of wish the product description named the mechs and not just the pilots.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Unfortunately the people behind the packs were not smart enough to put Reinhardt Steiner in there and went with some mercenary instead, so no Masakari.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Marauder, Timberwolf, and Dire Wolf are alternate sculpts: the Marauder's autocannon is slightly bigger, the Timberwolf is the Pryde variant with jump jet ports on the back, and the Dire Wolf is the Widowmaker variant.

Unfortunately, although I've looked over Morgan Kell's Archer quite heavily, I couldn't find any difference in the sculpt. It's just a normal Archer in a different pose.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think Morgan just used a standard -2R that later got some upgrades that allowed for more internal bits without any real change to its loadout.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

I think Morgan just used a standard -2R that later got some upgrades that allowed for more internal bits without any real change to its loadout.

It's why I think they should've done Jamie Wolf's Archer instead. They could've moved the cockpit from the nose to the top to show that it's more of a transitional unit on the evolution from Archer -> Archer(C) -> Mad Dog

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I assume they'd have put Jaime in a 2W since that's what he's piloting in the Legends book. Which is still a better choice because it's an actual different unit.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
But you knew what I was getting at.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't think they'd move the cockpit, since they put out a book around the same time with a big detailed illustration of Jaime Wolf's mech, and the cockpit is still in the same place. But I agree he'd have been a better choice.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Marauder, Timberwolf, and Dire Wolf are alternate sculpts: the Marauder's autocannon is slightly bigger, the Timberwolf is the Pryde variant with jump jet ports on the back, and the Dire Wolf is the Widowmaker variant.

Unfortunately, although I've looked over Morgan Kell's Archer quite heavily, I couldn't find any difference in the sculpt. It's just a normal Archer in a different pose.

It really seems like you're refusing my batchall here

Edit: Lore wise, what's the actual 'punishment' for refusing a batchall? Do the clans just go "okay" and turn go full sicko mode on people?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Edit: Lore wise, what's the actual 'punishment' for refusing a batchall? Do the clans just go "okay" and turn go full sicko mode on people?

Total war.

"You won't fight us on even terms? We're hitting you with everything, including our WarShip."

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah see the time the Smoke Jaguars razed an entire town they occupied because some prisoners escaped.

Now those prisoners included Hohiro Kurita, but I'm fairly sure the clans didn't know that at the time.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Total war.

"You won't fight us on even terms? We're hitting you with everything, including our WarShip."

Like everything else with the Clans, the answer here is a lot of "depends on when and what Clan" and then also what commanders are in charge. There may be no honor in the enemy but there's still honor to be won on the field, and that'd result in a bid between competing officers. The end result would be significantly less bound to the "next best bid can be called in" tradition because it's not a trial with the opponent it's just internal dickwaving, and victory is the expectation and not a pleasant bonus to personal glory like in a formal trial.

I'd be surprised if there weren't half a dozen instances in the initial invasion where the defenders confusedly refuse a batchall and the invading Clan officers immediately start squabbling about who has the right to crush those honorless dogs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And of course the forcepacks sell out instantly on CGL's store.

No Warhawk for me. :sigh:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah see the time the Smoke Jaguars razed an entire town they occupied because some prisoners escaped.

Now those prisoners included Hohiro Kurita, but I'm fairly sure the clans didn't know that at the time.

That's pretty typical for their dealing with any kind of civil disobedience. Ever hear about Londerholm?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And even then, nothing the Smoke Jaguars or Word of Blake did really comes close to matching the level of sheer spite involved in the Kentares massacre.

It's why I remain convinced House Kurita's reprisals against both were just them trying to show the Clans / Wobbies how it's really done.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

And even then, nothing the Smoke Jaguars or Word of Blake did really comes close to matching the level of sheer spite involved in the Kentares massacre.

It's why I remain convinced House Kurita's reprisals against both were just them trying to show the Clans / Wobbies how it's really done.

House Kurita is an experienced state dynasty and effectively uses the state's monopoly on violence for political ends.

The Clans/WoB respond like wounded animals when confronted with a challenge from a lesser/non-opponent.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Now in defense of wounded animals they're usually effectively employing violence to try to promote their own survival.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
You see, war crimes are cooler when you look like an adult committing the war crime and not a manchild committing the war crime, and

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nah, I wish the setting had fewer warcrimes in general.

More mercenaries fighting over salt mines and pirates stealing water, fewer space nukes.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 7, 2021

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

Now in defense of wounded animals they're usually effectively employing violence to try to promote their own survival.

This is true, and in this particular metaphor the short term goals still fit, but the implications for long term survival are less well considered. They do tend to be able to fix the immediate conflict effectively.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PoptartsNinja posted:

I just googled that and jesus

I thought they were over-tuning it a bit in the GDL books I've read, this is like cartoon character levels of evil, what the poo poo

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They thought the part where the Combine made it illegal to be Jewish was too subtle.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Combine made it illegal to be any religion except the state-sponsored "Shinto," which isn't much like the real thing.

Santa is a Kami.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
if they made every religion illegal why did the keretanos massacre article refer to a buddhist? shinto and buddhism aren't the same thing

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Buddha is a kami and the state looks the other way because they'd have to execute more than half their population if they really cracked down on it.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
how did several billion people become buddhist

as one myself, active recruitment is literally not something we do lol

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The same way nearly every Protestant denomination (theoretically) got folded into Space Catholicism (which then had a shism when Stefan Amaris took Terra, causing New Avalon to declare their bishop the new pope) during the age of the Star League: :shrug:

BattleTech doesn't talk about religion much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PoptartsNinja posted:

The same way nearly every Protestant denomination (theoretically) got folded into Space Catholicism (which then had a shism when Stefan Amaris took Terra, causing New Avalon to declare their bishop the new pope) during the age of the Star League: :shrug:

BattleTech doesn't talk about religion much.

I thought there'd be lots of mormons. Space Mormons is a surprisingly common trope (and honestly I would be shocked if I got futurama'd 1000 years into the future and the LDS were gone)