Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not a expert but I had a pack of cheap cymbals that I absolutely hated and now I'm in a loop of spending even more money trying to get something I like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

can never have too many cymbals.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

When I was a teenager I spent a lot more money on drums than on cymbals and that was a mistake.

Cheap cymbals sound *terrible* and pairing nice drums with cheap cymbals is frankly a waste of money.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

(and reading about all the bad habits learning on an Edrum kit- ive got them all)

ooo like what?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
At least with cheap drums you can play around and get a decent sound. Cheap cymbals are just cheap toilet paper.

Check your local Craigslist or used music store and you'll find better deals.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

what are the quietest sticks i can use on rubber edrum pads? ive been learning to play on a pyle tabletop kit for a few months and id like to keep learning but also not get evicted cause its still pretty loud when i hit the pads.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

AndrewP posted:

ooo like what?

Biggest one is not letting the kick rebound.

Holy moly this is going to bite me in the arse.

Looks like i might get the meinl's

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

At least with cheap drums you can play around and get a decent sound. Cheap cymbals are just cheap toilet paper.

Check your local Craigslist or used music store and you'll find better deals.

Very this; as long as drum shells and hoops aren't physically broken you can put good quality heads on them and tune them well to get them to sound at least decent. Cymbals pretty much are what they are.

If you're just starting out getting babbys first acoustic kit to learn/practice on, go garage sale cheap on the drums, get decent (double braced) hardware, and spend 75% of your budget on the cymbals. Then have fun burning a weekend doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FneXSqMdnP8&t=472s

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Very this; as long as drum shells and hoops aren't physically broken you can put good quality heads on them and tune them well to get them to sound at least decent. Cymbals pretty much are what they are.

If you're just starting out getting babbys first acoustic kit to learn/practice on, go garage sale cheap on the drums, get decent (double braced) hardware, and spend 75% of your budget on the cymbals. Then have fun burning a weekend doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FneXSqMdnP8&t=472s

LOL

i watched that video a few months back when i started to entertain getting and acoustic kit.

They get that kit and play around and im like, yeah thats not too bad.

They say it sounds horrible.

Then they fix it up and im like, yeah thats not too bad.

Im not just starting, well not exactly. Ive had a Edrum kit for about 6 years and have 2 years of lessons with a teacher, but ive never really played an acoustic kit. And i realised just how crap the low end Edrums are when my teacher said, come sit on his kit ( i cant remember exactly why we swapped) but it was a different instrument. (even if it is a really bad low end pearl kit he complains about almost as much as he teaches)

Ive bought myself a nice snare that sits next to my pc, so when a song i like comes on i get to piss of my son. So i now know just how different they are and an Edrum kit isnt actually fun either (not my low end one)

Im old enough to have money to spend, but not top of the line stuff, and all the reviews of the Mapex Armory and youtube vids pretty much hit my likes and budget. (in particular, i originally went to get a yamaha snare but left with the Mapex Dillinger because it just sounded exactly how i wanted it to, even with the stock heads. Now up until last year at least in USA, if you didnt like the tomahawk snare that comes with the armory shell kit you could swap it. And every single review i saw (bar 2 that kept the steel snare) swapped the tomahawk out for the dillinger. I am probably making the mistake by getting the fast shell pack, but the only thing im not super excited for is finish. Id like a solid black, or a sparkly red, but im settling on a night sky burst purple

Its just i dont have a starter kit to leech hardware, so there is added cost. If i want to really have fun, im going to need the silentstike heads, so an added cost. And looking at cymbals, holy fuuuu do they get expensive. $800 AUS for the meinl darks isnt really much. As the cheapest of the cheap, the total purcussions low volumes are $200.

So the way im seeing it, 2k for the kit was in budget, ill add 800 for the cymbals as an extra i would have done a few months down the track anyway.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Any tips on getting into hand percussion for someone who's played drum kit their whole life? Any particular lesson books to pick or YouTubes to follow? Should I start by just picking up a single congo or go for bongos etc?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

untzthatshit posted:

Any tips on getting into hand percussion for someone who's played drum kit their whole life? Any particular lesson books to pick or YouTubes to follow? Should I start by just picking up a single congo or go for bongos etc?

def start with with conga. i can’t listen cuz i’m on the train, but skimming this it looks like a good intro, very well made https://youtu.be/rcBLQxhPWnU

Sadistic Hamster
Jan 1, 2005

Hello people of this thread,

I am not sure if what I have done to my double bass pedals and seat was stupid or makes any kind of sense, so I thought I would ask.

Basically I like deathcore drumming because it is very fast, I have tapped along to a Johnny Cash song and I wanted to blow my brains out -- I just like moving fast.
I haven't enjoyed listening to metal in a long time, I prefer the bass in hip-hop, rap, and various genres of electronic music. That was until someone on this forum linked an Infant Annihilator song and now I enjoy metal again. Got some drums for my kid because she likes Animal from the Muppet Babies, I then realize I enjoy tapping away on drums. This led me to purchase a double bass pedal in March of this year. I decided on a simple structure for acclimating myself to operating the pedals, first I focused on strength and conditioning as I have never really moved my feet in this manner; after I was content with improvements in these two areas I contemplated what I needed to do to improve further so I decided that speed and control were the most important things to focus on. Recently I watched twenty seconds of a youtube video on operating the pedals, the man speaking said he was also focused on speed and control so I realized I was on the right track and closed the video. With the goal of speed and control in mind I made some modifications to the pedals and drum seat, at first I applied grip tape to the pedals because I did not like how my foot moves around and it just equated to a loss of control. I also noticed I was pushing myself backwards slightly which can mess with timing. It seems the more things one fixes into position the more control they gain.

Anyways anyways, what I did to gain more control over the pedals was first chop three and a half inches off the front legs of the drum seat, in my mind this drives my weight towards the pedals so I am less likely to be moved forward as well as helping apply pressure, possibly more consistently? I believe this might be considered mechanical advantage but I am not an engineer. Initially I had considered adding a kind of toe cage like one would find on a bicycle for clipping into, but I am incredibly cheap so I decided to just screw my shoes to the pedals. Now, in my mind a real drummer may feel inclined to talk poo poo about what I have done; I can imagine a drummer referring to these modifications as training wheels. I am happy with the increase in control this affords me. I wanted to know what BPM I can sustain but the best measure I could find is a phone application, the application claims 350 BPM currently thought I have only really had things setup to where I like them for a couple of weeks. Also a neat little thing I found is that when bringing a pedal up quickly it shortens the chain so that a much harder stroke can be swiftly delivered. I do not know how much I can build upon this, I saw a dude on youtube who could sustain 1,200 BPM which I am not certain I can attain, or realistically how I can accurately measure it.

I will include a picture of my setup for you to ridicule me over. If what I have done isn't idiotic and someone would like to use it for their personal setup that is cool with me, I have only one request and that is that you refer to it as playing "Sadistic Hamster Style".

*Edited for picture link fuckups*

Sadistic Hamster fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 1, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's... different. There are basically infinity different variations of foot/pedal technique, and for the most part there's no right or wrong way to do it. The right way is the way that works best for you personally.

Having said that, you may be overfocusing on the double bass pedal portion of drumming at the expense of the rest of the kit, for example not being able to move your left foot over to a high hat pedal or some other pedal-driven instrument. Your foot sliding around on the pedal isn't necessarily a bad thing, some people use it as a technique but others prefer a more twitchy straight down style.

Having said THAT, if you're not interested in playing a full kit and just want to tappatappatappa along with blastbeats 'cuz it's fun then shine on you crazy diamond, put an ad in Craigslist offing your services to the local Fear Factory cover band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcjIgEjtJz0

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

in addition to what takes no damage said, get an actual drum throne. the angle you made on that bar stool is going to give you back issues, and you’re likely to slide off it. you said you’re cheap—check craigslist and facebook marketplace for used ones (i’d recommend this regardless cuz why unnecessarily spend extra lol)

i’d also recommend at least a couple lessons with a teacher, maybe not weekly, but here and there. while the modifications you’ve made (mainly thinking of the screwing your shoes to the foot plates) help you now, they’re limiting not only your use of other foot implements like takes no damage said, but also your ability to play bass/double bass well, efficiently, fast, and long-term

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Proof that you don't need octagons, roto toms, 14 tome, 5 bass drums and 38 cymbals and a gong to make the song sound good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gykGUEiBSVY

I honestly think one big factor in Nirvana being so popular was that is was easy to play and you didn't need a bunch of equipment, or even quality equipment.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jazz Marimba posted:

i’d also recommend at least a couple lessons with a teacher, maybe not weekly, but here and there. while the modifications you’ve made (mainly thinking of the screwing your shoes to the foot plates) help you now, they’re limiting not only your use of other foot implements like takes no damage said, but also your ability to play bass/double bass well, efficiently, fast, and long-term

Also good points, especially if you've never had formal in-person lessons before. If you just plop down behind some drum stuff and start doin' thangs, it's a pretty sure thing that you're going to be doing some of those thangs wrong, which can be especially dangerous as the consequences aren't always immediately obvious i.e. 6 months from now your back hurts and you have a weird pins and needles feeling in some of your fingers that won't go away. At least a few IRL lessons is always recommended just to make sure your stance/posture/etc isn't actually harmful long term.

Again this may only apply if you ever want to play with other people, but the other potential downside to customizing your setup to that extent is it will badly hamstring you from being able to play on a 'regular' kit. Adjustments to position are fine and good, but nobody else is gonna have a bass pedal with built-in shoes so now you're stuck hauling half your kit around with you for all the custom built stuff.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Who doesn't take their own bass pedal to shows?

Sadistic Hamster
Jan 1, 2005

Thank you for the replies everyone, the issues you've mentioned make perfect sense, especially the possibility of back issues developing.

I don't have an interest in playing with people; I just want to amuse myself with loud noises -- I don't even like the sound cymbals or snare drums make (I hate high-pitched and tinny sounds).

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Sadistic Hamster posted:

Thank you for the replies everyone, the issues you've mentioned make perfect sense, especially the possibility of back issues developing.

I don't have an interest in playing with people; I just want to amuse myself with loud noises -- I don't even like the sound cymbals or snare drums make (I hate high-pitched and tinny sounds).

There are many different cymbals and snares, I have a suspicion that you could find a set that you liked the sound of if you tried some out. Or electronic sets where you can make them sound like basically anything.

That said, do what you want to do, and have fun doing it! If you just want to bang on a bass drum with your feet all day, nothing wrong with that!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I finally did what i should have done to start. I replaced my edrum kit with an acoustic.

Its hella fun to actually play this. I always would find an excuse not to go practice, now im in the room for a 15 practise and come out an hour later.

I havent swapped the bass head over to the silent one yet (i probably will this weekend as im sure my neighbours can feel it) because its just so nice to feel the bass. (And i swapped the heads out because the kit sounded like total crap with the stock heads and my 0 tuning skills)

So yeah, the lower end ekits arent really drums if anyone is asking, youd be better off just getting a drum pad for the price.

All i need now is the rug.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

So yeah, the lower end ekits arent really drums if anyone is asking, youd be better off just getting a drum pad for the price.

Don't agree with this at all, especially when you're talking about Roland kits, but glad you have something that makes you want to play.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Don't agree with this at all, especially when you're talking about Roland kits, but glad you have something that makes you want to play.

Hard agree. Glad you're enjoying your acoustic set Meskhenet, but that was a really bad take.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

AndrewP posted:

It was a roland kit. Base model though. (i did upgrade the kick to the kd9)

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I used to play a bit, I was not very good but I could play my way through a handful of songs without making obvious mistakes and I had fun with it. I had to sell my acoustic kit about 12 years ago because I needed the money, and hadn't played since. Last year my wife bought me a Simmons SD1200 electronic kit, and I've been having a lot of fun getting back into hitting various things with sticks.

I got EZDrummer2 because while the SD1200 has a LOT of sounds, they aren't exactly the best quality, and the hat pedal is like, super sensitive and I have a really hard time getting that partially open sizzle consistently. Anyway, the SD1200 is apparently one of the few kits that doesn't work out of the box with EZDrummer2. Basically, it triggers the wrong stuff or multiple things at once.

Unfortunately, the SD1200 doesn't allow you to remap MIDI notes (But the 600 does for some reason) and EZDrummer2 doesn't allow you to make custom MIDI settings. So I'm stuck with trying to find something that will convert the MIDI note from the drums to the MIDI not that EZDrummer will accept. I hear that MIDIFire is the best thing to use, but it's Mac only so that's out.

Anyone else run into something like this? What did you do?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

2 up 2 down army represent :drum:

Enos Cabell posted:

Hard agree. Glad you're enjoying your acoustic set Meskhenet, but that was a really bad take.

TBF they did specify low end ekits, which I take to mean non-mesh heads, which a lot of times are little better feeling than a rubber practice pad. Of course they still have their place in apartments or super compact spaces, but going from solid pads to mesh/acoustic is an undeniable upgrade.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

2 up 2 down army represent :drum:

TBF they did specify low end ekits, which I take to mean non-mesh heads, which a lot of times are little better feeling than a rubber practice pad. Of course they still have their place in apartments or super compact spaces, but going from solid pads to mesh/acoustic is an undeniable upgrade.

Yeah i like that 2nd floor tom.

I got a drumdial, so i might put the stock heads back on 2 of the toms, that still gives me 2 toms to mindlessly do my 10 min drills on.

And im loving the acoustic kit way more now ive tuned the bass to where i like it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

I rocked a Roland TD-4 for like five years with rubber toms, single zone cymbals and a PDX-8 for a snare after I moved to the city. Those babies were 100% drums and I got a lot of use out of them.

My point is: don't think edrums aren't worth playing if it's not a full sized mesh positional sensing etc etc etc. (I do think Roland and maybe Yahama is worth investing in, though)

Jay_Zombie posted:

Unfortunately, the SD1200 doesn't allow you to remap MIDI notes (But the 600 does for some reason) and EZDrummer2 doesn't allow you to make custom MIDI settings. So I'm stuck with trying to find something that will convert the MIDI note from the drums to the MIDI not that EZDrummer will accept. I hear that MIDIFire is the best thing to use, but it's Mac only so that's out.

Anyone else run into something like this? What did you do?

EZDrummer 2 not letting to remap the MIDI inputs is the WORST and I didn't realize it was the case when I bought it. Like I payed $150 for the drat software, seems like a fairly basic function? So now I'm tempted to "crossgrade" to Superior Drummer 3, but it's a goddamned 250gb download, so I'd probably need an external to house the thing. So annoying, should have just bought Steven Slate.

I have a TD27 which uses a cable snake. What I do for EZDrummer is literally unplug and replug my cables to whatever they need to be to match with EZ Drummer. It's super annoying and means I can't quickly go from VST triggering back to module triggering since my cables are all plugged into the wrong things.

I will check out MIDIFire, didn't occur to me that there might be a third party solution to this.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 30, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is there a way to sidegrade to Superior Drummer without taking a wash on EZ Drummer? I made the same mistake, and while I can remap stuff with my TD-17 it's just kind of annoying. If I could pay the price difference to go to Superior I would.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Is there a way to sidegrade to Superior Drummer without taking a wash on EZ Drummer? I made the same mistake, and while I can remap stuff with my TD-17 it's just kind of annoying. If I could pay the price difference to go to Superior I would.

Yeah, look for the "crossgrade" for SD3 - you get a $100 discount if you already have EZ Drummer 2. So just depends on how much you paid for EZD2.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Don't forget that each drum kit pack you buy takes up another huge amount of space with SD3. Also I could never get it to sound right with my TD-17 as far as playing goes - worked great for recording, but the cymbals were poo poo and the slight delay for the sound was maddening. I bought an exporter to export the drum sounds and import them to the TD-17 itself, it got rid of the slight lag, but sounded worse.

If someone has a guide on actually making the TD-17 playable with SD3 sounds, especially where there's no lag and the cymbals don't sound like rear end compared to the built-in ones, I'd be interested!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

shortspecialbus posted:

Don't forget that each drum kit pack you buy takes up another huge amount of space with SD3. Also I could never get it to sound right with my TD-17 as far as playing goes - worked great for recording, but the cymbals were poo poo and the slight delay for the sound was maddening. I bought an exporter to export the drum sounds and import them to the TD-17 itself, it got rid of the slight lag, but sounded worse.

If someone has a guide on actually making the TD-17 playable with SD3 sounds, especially where there's no lag and the cymbals don't sound like rear end compared to the built-in ones, I'd be interested!

For the lag what's your buffer size set at? Are you just going straight USB from module to your computer?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Yeah, look for the "crossgrade" for SD3 - you get a $100 discount if you already have EZ Drummer 2. So just depends on how much you paid for EZD2.

Awesome, thanks. I'll look into that.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

AndrewP posted:

For the lag what's your buffer size set at? Are you just going straight USB from module to your computer?

USB direct to the computer, tried both with a macbook pro and a regular gaming PC.

We just moved across the country so nothing is set up, and drums are kind of low on the list, so I won't be able to test anytime soon, so it's more something I'd be interested in sometime down the road.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I had to buy the Roland midi cable in order to get my td 17 to interface correctly and have no lag.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I had to buy the Roland midi cable in order to get my td 17 to interface correctly and have no lag.

I am no expert on electronic drums at all but I do know that as far as TV and Computer equipment go, using the HDMI cable that came in the box and not the one you had laying around, will eliminate most performance issues.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Doesn’t the 17 have a USB option?

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Yes but that introduced lag. Something to do with the head unit, so you have to use the midi cord

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Bonzo posted:

I am no expert on electronic drums at all but I do know that as far as TV and Computer equipment go, using the HDMI cable that came in the box and not the one you had laying around, will eliminate most performance issues.

I'm going to derail this briefly, sorry:

A digital cable either works or it doesn't. For HDMI, cheap old HDMI cables don't work with 4K/HDR, especially at 60fps, and this manifests generally as no picture, but occasionally a very very messed up picture, but clearly not working at all. Any premium certified HDMI cable is going to support 4K/HDR/60fps no matter what brand unless it's broken. A lesser one won't introduce weird lag into the system unless it's got some sort of active repeater in it because it's really really long, and then maybe it could.

A USB cable is again a USB cable. It either works 100% or it doesn't work at all, basically. Again theoretically you could have it sort of working where it sometimes works perfect and the rest of the time doesn't work at all. The brand or where the cable came from doesn't matter, again. There was the fiasco with crappy knockoff USB-C cables not fast charging or starting on fire, but again we have it not working. Digital cables do not introduce lag.

It's possible that a midi cable will work better because it's a different sort of connection, but different brands of USB cable won't make a performance difference, and any USB or ethernet cable that claims it works better for audio (and usually costs $2000 a foot) is absolute snake oil nonsense.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stay safe out there drummers, always watch your 6 :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

It's possible that a midi cable will work better because it's a different sort of connection, but different brands of USB cable won't make a performance difference, and any USB or ethernet cable that claims it works better for audio (and usually costs $2000 a foot) is absolute snake oil nonsense.

Word. I'm not saying that Monster cables are totally XTREME! and GOld PLATING deluxe makes a better sound, just that yeah, I would totally expect a name brand cable to resolve a technical issue with MIDI and lag. But yes, a microphone cable, is a microphone cable.

Takes No Damage posted:

Stay safe out there drummers, always watch your 6 :ohdear:

Was he about to solo? :D

edit: He held onto his sticks the entire time!