Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Probably good that it didn't work out considering how the world responded to forced landin soon after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
The coincidence of Belarus having elections and them getting noticed at the border was just too great. That's what I meant by 'unlucky'. Maybe it was something misleading I read a while ago but I had the impression that Russian and Belorussian security services knew all along of Ukraine's operation, but I was glad to hear that they didn't. It's just now that I learned the details.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/samstreetwrites/status/1460760577039638528

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The summary of eastern Europe

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I can't tell what's going on in this video at all

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Balkans.avi

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Isn't Russia pretty cozy with Serbian nationalists these days?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Rinkles posted:

Isn't Russia pretty cozy with Serbian nationalists these days?

"These days" lol

It predates World War I

E: Russia vetoed the UN calling the Bosnian genocide "genocide" at one point

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 19, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Yeah, pretty much the only period when this wasn't the case is the cold war when Tito didn't want Kremlin to interfere with Yugoslavia's matters.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Yeah, pretty much the only period when this wasn't the case is the cold war when Tito didn't want Kremlin to interfere with Yugoslavia's matters.

"Stop sending these dudes, before I send one of my own."

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The American news is back to being spooked about Russia invading Ukraine.

Here's what we know:

NATO flights to the region have doubled

Russians are doing maneuvers

The photos of the last time Russia masses at the border were prevalent and I don't see the same frequency of Russian soldiers posting selfies by TOS-1s

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Would winter even be a good time to invade? Or is that no longer a problem nowadays?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think it's in their MO to start poo poo when everyone is looking

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
If it's a bluff it's a expensive one, given the number of forces they seem to be moving.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

Would winter even be a good time to invade? Or is that no longer a problem nowadays?

Winter is a good time to turn off the EU's natural gas supply, if they start mouthing off.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

Winter is a good time to turn off the EU's natural gas supply, if they start mouthing off.

Ah that makes sense.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Conspiratiorist posted:

If it's a bluff it's a expensive one, given the number of forces they seem to be moving.

According to Lukashenko's propaganda, the fact that Poland moved 15 thousand soldiers to the border means they are about to start WWIII.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://mobile.twitter.com/pmakela1/status/1461716198471655424

The spooky toys are out.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I highly doubt that this will end in an blatant invasion. It would have to follow a coup attempt. They would have to be invited guests helping oversee the PEACEFUL transition of power etc. Then following a 30% turnout referendum join the Russian Federation.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
What was the name for "Вежливые люди" in english. The people in unmarked uniform that overtook Crimea back in 2014?
Yeah, these will have to show up again all of a sudden.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Erulisse posted:

What was the name for "Вежливые люди" in english. The people in unmarked uniform that overtook Crimea back in 2014?
Yeah, these will have to show up again all of a sudden.

:dice: remembers

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rinkles posted:

:dice: remembers

Why did they give him a Russian flag

This is a pro western false flag showing the Crimean popular resistance forces were wearing Russian flags!

Untrue!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Soiled Meat
I remember how a certain podcast that I used to listen to heard about "the possibility of armed confrontation with little green men" in some NATO related talk, and took it to unironically mean that Americans were now openly admitting to getting ready to fight a war against aliens or alien-human hybrids.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Lmao it really does sound like this^ ahah
Little green nazi-human hybrids

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Saw this on Twitter, apparently Ukraine's Military Intelligence is predicting January offensive?

https://twitter.com/MassDara/status/1462254401624711172?s=20

I know there's Russian buildup going on, I don't know how true the rumors an actual offensive are.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CommieGIR posted:

Saw this on Twitter, apparently Ukraine's Military Intelligence is predicting January offensive?

https://twitter.com/MassDara/status/1462254401624711172?s=20

I know there's Russian buildup going on, I don't know how true the rumors an actual offensive are.

Oh look they'd go for Mariupol and odessa immediately

loving lol at all the criticism that i received for stating these would be objectives years ago

Of course this looks to be a fairly standard Russiaobjectives.jpg

They assume they'd want to keep to the Russian speaker dominant areas east of the dniper. While nipping Mariupol to keep the whole thing fed.
Aswell as taking Odessa to turn the Ukraine into a landlocked country ripe for a second war of conquest a decade later

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 21, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
None of this is going to happen in January. This is my prediction.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Paladinus posted:

None of this is going to happen in January. This is my prediction.

Agreed. It's basically bullshit until a shot is fired.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Oh look they'd go for Mariupol and odessa immediately
If there was an offensive I doubt they would push as far as Odessa. I would assume they would reach the Dnieper River and anchor themselves there and that would be the most extreme case.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

If any of that happens, which I hope loving not, I'm eager to hear excuses of all the loving idiots who supported putler throughout all these years.
On one hand chances are slim, because unlike 1939 the world has instant news and everyone's eyes basically peeled to Ru/Ukr border now.
On the other hand, the gas needle in winter time is very very addictive for EU to actually do anything.

At least we will get Kaluga Trial then, or something.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Reminds me of the story of how marshall Tymoshenko predicted bad outcomes planning to attack Finland and Stalin dismissed him and attacked anyway

Just seems like a disaster from a strategic and common sense perspective, but if you read the verbalised psychosis of Putin or the Russian security/military apparatus in their articles they view Ukraine as an existential threat that needs to be subdued and they ran out of soft-power options to get a friendly crony elected and no one want to become DLNR

I hope war will not materialize but I'm glad to spend the winter on the other side of the continent

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Winters aren't like they used to be, unfortunately :( according to an article from last year 2019 was the warmest year on record in Kyiv, with peak temperature in December at 15ºC! Globally we're at +1º compared to 1880 while in 1940's we were at like +0.1ºC.

Frozen conditions would be better for operations than mud though, and modern armies are anyway better equipped to combat cold weather.

I really don't see Putin invading, though. Unless he thinks it's his only way out of the trouble that he's started and I doubt it would make things better anyway. Maybe something limited at border to scare people?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Soiled Meat
If Russians commit to taking some land, even the strongest winter won't do anything about it, any deterrent is entirely in the realm of politics and if shots are actually fired, the results are a foregone conclusion.

That being said, I don't believe Russia is going to do anything beyond "motherland stronk"" posturing in response to Polish border reinforcements. This slow buildup is against their doctrine anyway.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Russia doesn't want to invade. They want Biden to basically agree to make Ukraine neutral. Ukrainian neutrality is more important than having Ukraine in the SoI. This is all about the upcoming summit. That said, if the US doesn't concede I don't think Russia can afford to not act.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kinda wonder what the calculus is for the Ukrainians, on the one hand if you don't yell about and prepare for the threat you might get less military aid and invite the invasion, on the other hand if you don't stick your head out you just might be able to continue your job under the new management, and importantly not die in the war against Russia you can't win. Like I wouldn't die to prevent Germany being conquered by Austria

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

aphid_licker posted:

Kinda wonder what the calculus is for the Ukrainians, on the one hand if you don't yell about and prepare for the threat you might get less military aid and invite the invasion, on the other hand if you don't stick your head out you just might be able to continue your job under the new management, and importantly not die in the war against Russia you can't win. Like I wouldn't die to prevent Germany being conquered by Austria

West needs to be honest to them and tell them to concede to neutrality. Leadership think help is coming. Euros haven't been willing to die for Ukraine since 1943.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Vasukhani posted:

West needs to be honest to them and tell them to concede to neutrality.
What does the West and Ukraine get out of this?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Cugel the Clever posted:

What does the West and Ukraine get out of this?

The US gets to focus on the pacific. Ukraine gets no war. What did finland get out of neutrality?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Vasukhani posted:

Ukraine gets no war.
This is telling. "Submit or I'll murder you" isn't acceptable on the playground; it shouldn't be acceptable in international affairs. The primary factor that keeps Ukraine from not being neutral is a hostile Russian invasion in its southeastern territories. Besides, it's a sovereign state and Russia doesn't get to make decisions for it. Maybe Putin should consider not doing everything in his power to convince his neighbors against "neutrality".

Vasukhani posted:

What did finland get out of neutrality?
Finland's "neutrality" is a thin veneer over an extremely close relationship with the West. Russia isn't actively murdering their citizens or holding their territory, so they don't have any reason to drop the facade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Cugel the Clever posted:

This is telling. "Submit or I'll murder you" isn't acceptable on the playground; it shouldn't be acceptable in international affairs. The primary factor that keeps Ukraine from not being neutral is a hostile Russian invasion in its southeastern territories. Besides, it's a sovereign state and Russia doesn't get to make decisions for it. Maybe Putin should consider not doing everything in his power to convince his neighbors against "neutrality".

Finland's "neutrality" is a thin veneer over an extremely close relationship with the West. Russia isn't actively murdering their citizens or holding their territory, so they don't have any reason to drop the facade.

Yes, it shouldn't be acceptable. But we live in a reality where sovereign states have not yet been abolished. This is not a question of right and wrong. And Ukraine has agency, just like Russia. If Ukraine decides to exercise its agency and seek a backdoor into NATO Russia will exercise its agency and crush Ukraine. Finland's neutrality was not that between 1945-1991. In fact, its FP was basically dictated by the soviets. Buffer states are never truly "neutral" but the balancing act can prevent war. Russia forced Ukraine into the West in 2014, it is trying to get it to return to 2010 without Crimea, basically.

What we have now is the US encouraging Ukraine to become a NATO member, knowing full well that they will send several battalions of "strong condemnations" if Russia decides to sack Kyiv.