Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jabor posted:

65k ^ 28 is 7 * 10^134 input sequences to check.

If every atom in the galaxy was actually a computer that could check ten billion runs a second, and had been doing so ever since the formation of the universe, you'd barely have gotten started.

It's a completely intractable problem - you need to be able to cut down the search space and avoid checking all of possibilities.

It's not quite that bad, because if you want it to be real-console viable there are 6 impossible states on the d-pad, so each controller has (10 d-pad × 16 buttons) = 160 possible states, giving us 25.6k per-frame states across both controllers

So the actual search space is 25600²⁸ = 2.7e123, which is still utterly impossible, but it's a slightly smaller utter impossibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
it's an impossibly smaller impossibility! the difference between you and the diameter of betelgeuse. Math is cruel

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Quick, someone do clock-and-bug-for-bug-perfect emulation of a SNES with arbitrary emulation speedup!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

https://www.twitch.tv/reallyreallylongathon

really really longathon has been on since the 1st (and is going to the 24th!)

there's a run currently 20 hours again of all stars/moons in 6 3d marios. he's not sleeping until the run is done and the estimate is 38 hours

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Aurora posted:

he's not sleeping until the run is done and the estimate is 38 hours

any time I hear about people doing that poo poo to themselves I just want to pour warm milk down their throats and tuck them into bed, that shits not healthy

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

these poor gamers are ruining their lives by staying up for too long. we have to stop this.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
playing a game for 38 hours straight is pretty fuckin stupid

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

site posted:

playing a game for 38 hours straight is pretty fuckin stupid

yeah get some sleep, it's still impressive that you keep a stream running that long hand it off to a friend while you sleep and shower come back refreshed! You being present the entire time does not make it more impressive, it actually takes away from it because you look like your about to fall over.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
the novelty is fully gone, it's purely just sort of a kooky exercise in self-sacrifice now. not to psychoanalyze anyone in particular but i imagine there's pressure to do stunts like this for audience-building/careerist purposes which is bad and not good

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Honestly I'm fine with hearing things like them staying up late for a good cause than them being outed as a nazi or something like that. Speaking of which, did anything come of Karl Jobst being "accused"?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

cage-free egghead posted:

Honestly I'm fine with hearing things like them staying up late for a good cause than them being outed as a nazi or something like that. Speaking of which, did anything come of Karl Jobst being "accused"?

Agreed, definitely prefer sleepy people to nazis

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

staying up for extended periods like that is really damaging to the health, it's their bodies to do that to but I don't fuckin like it, that's all, I don't like when people gently caress up their hands playing poo poo either, sue me

some real whackjob poo poo acting like caring about that is somehow an either/or proposition vs caring about right wing extremism in the hobby and at the same time implying via scare quotes that a man with a list of receipts a mile long is somehow not sus af bare minimum

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

neongrey posted:

some real whackjob poo poo acting like caring about that is somehow an either/or proposition vs caring about right wing extremism in the hobby and at the same time implying via scare quotes that a man with a list of receipts a mile long is somehow not sus af bare minimum

what?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

there's a mod post a few posts up

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i think neongrey is reading a lot of things into that post that it doesn't say.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i got annoyed about the scare quotes around 'accused' too but i wasn't gonna fight a mod about it

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

neongrey posted:

A mile long? Outside of a picture of a discord chat and him being pals with RWGoose, I haven't seen what else came to light about all of this.

I used quotes more because of him denying all of it and not in any way defending him. For some reason this I'm really dumb and not clear in this thread. My bad.

flatluigi posted:

i got annoyed about the scare quotes around 'accused' too but i wasn't gonna fight a mod about it

Nah, I deserved to be called out for that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A mile long? Outside of a picture of a discord chat and him being pals with RWGoose, I haven't seen what else came to light about all of this.

did you miss his pua stint

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

For my part, once I realized his response was not "oh gently caress, I'm sorry" but "let me nitpick how I'm actually selectively not technically a nazi" I stopped following him. I imagine even seeing the details of the response would be a mistake and give him undue credit. His vids were good but there are plenty of other non-nazi speedrun commentators out there, though I admit every time I find a new one I'm like :ohdear: 'is this one a nazi oh no'.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

I used quotes more because of him denying all of it and not in any way defending him. For some reason this I'm really dumb and not clear in this thread. My bad.

it was less 'a picture' and more 'an extensive history of him and the rest of that goldeneye crew all hanging out and saying vile poo poo together over the course of years, including explicit racism, antisemitism, and transphobia'

but if you came at it after the fact it's understandable that you're only familiar with the reframing of it all

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

did you miss his pua stint

lol no I remember that, but that feels tame in comparison to all the other poo poo.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

no worries, I'm kind of snappy and on edge lately myself, no hard feelings

fake edit: the above is also an argument for getting enough sleep lol

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

38 hour streams should not be encouraged and I think an event that does so is irresponsible and lovely

the organisers could easily have made a great event showcasing long runs that didn't have runners doing poo poo like this

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

this'll teach me

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh my loving god guys.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the runner's done this run 3 times including this one and said they're never gonna do it again after this one

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
I dunno where to draw the line but I recall Highspirits on multiple occasions attempted a marathon of Dragon Quest 1-9 without sleep, which is certainly in the danger-to-self zone at something like 60 hours

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

How are these people staying up that long? Pounding Red Bull or something more serious like Provigil or Adderall?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Definitely doable though extremely unpleasant with just caffeine.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Aurora posted:

the runner's done this run 3 times including this one and said they're never gonna do it again after this one

Prolly for the best, good effort for sure but drat, take care of yourself lol

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Former Human posted:

How are these people staying up that long? Pounding Red Bull or something more serious like Provigil or Adderall?

Highspirits took naps, showers, and food breaks and stuff and had a bunch of folks ready to pull the plug if he seemed too loopy to continue. We did call it the first time he tried but he was much better prepared the 2nd time and finished.

36 hours aint a big deal as long as you're not doing that often. It's just getting up one morning and going to bed evening the next day.

I camped Raster for the monk epic in everquest for a drat week but he was on a 27 minute spawn timer so i'd set alarm, get up, kill the placeholder, go back to sleep

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Boogalo posted:

I camped Raster for the monk epic in everquest for a drat week but he was on a 27 minute spawn timer so i'd set alarm, get up, kill the placeholder, go back to sleep

Stop it man you're causing some of us itt to have bad early 00s MMORPG flashbacks.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, skipping one night of sleep isn’t great but it’s hardly going to ruin your life - I do it whenever I fly across a large time zone gap to try and minimise jetlag, and I used to do it for far stupider reasons as a student.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

poo poo I couldn't do a 24 hour stream let alone 38 hours even when I was a young buck.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

For what it's worth, the organizers have publicly said in their Discord a lot that they actively encourage breaks for all runs over 6 hours - whether that's taking advantage of cutscenes, intentionally building in a few minutes of downtime, or even breaking the run into separate parts.

There's also apparently a rule that you cannot run a game longer than 48 hours straight without breaks (which seems like an eternity for an old washed guy like me), though I don't know if anybody's ever submitted anything long enough to have that issue - there's been a couple longer runs but stuff like Baiten Kaitos where part of the 'run' is basically just leaving the game idling on its' own.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MagusofStars posted:

For what it's worth, the organizers have publicly said in their Discord a lot that they actively encourage breaks for all runs over 6 hours - whether that's taking advantage of cutscenes, intentionally building in a few minutes of downtime, or even breaking the run into separate parts.

There's also apparently a rule that you cannot run a game longer than 48 hours straight without breaks (which seems like an eternity for an old washed guy like me), though I don't know if anybody's ever submitted anything long enough to have that issue - there's been a couple longer runs but stuff like Baiten Kaitos where part of the 'run' is basically just leaving the game idling on its' own.

Can you really call it just 'part' of the run when it has to idle for two actual weeks for 100%?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BisbyWorl posted:

Can you really call it just 'part' of the run when it has to idle for two actual weeks for 100%?

there are subcategories that skip the longest items and make it a long (but not *unreasonably* long) run

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

e: it's late

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
the entire premise of this conversation seems undermined somewhat by the fact the run you're all talking about has a sleep break baked into it because you just have to sit around for a few hours at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

flatluigi posted:

there are subcategories that skip the longest items and make it a long (but not *unreasonably* long) run

this is true. Here's the 99.92% run route: https://pastebin.com/WayTEyVK

e: I would hope that any marathon that hosts a 99.92% run (or especially a 100% run) would have a load of short, exciting runs between each segment, because nobody wants to watch nothing happen for seven hours at a time

Venomous fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 9, 2021