Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I honest to god think that they're going to plow through it and point to the early reports of fewer adverse health effects and increasing vax rates for a justification as to why.

they'll just point to the players and say "look they want to play, everybody wants to do this and we want to do it for you, the fans"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
a bit late but

https://twitter.com/russbengtson/status/1472390918758178822?t=QLn-IZ2lhq1h_UYLiiRi5Q&s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Declan MacManus posted:

they'll just point to the players and say "look they want to play, everybody wants to do this and we want to do it for you, the fans"

:master:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Test everyone, cancel the G League, bring all guys up, piss off the season ticket holders, keep the schedule until the playoffs.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1472600710428639240

alright who hasn't had covid yet

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1472601743947149324?t=Fo2KTLQNDQqU8LLVQ3GI1A&s=19

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 19, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay at this point just shut it the gently caress down.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think they should shut down while there are teams barely able to put a roster together because the product they're putting out is embarrassing, but I don't think it's as bloodthirsty to keep playing while people are getting Covid as some others do. This isn't spring 2020 anymore, and it's not clear at all that vaccinated players are at significantly greater risk than they would be from other endemic diseases like the flu. Players catching this thing from their teams were going to be exposed elsewhere anyway, just like everyone else. I think drawing the line on playing sick is still a very good thing, and testing is still good, but unless we end up in a situation where delaying getting exposed until we have new and imrpoved vaccines is a clear target to aim for, I think it's appropriate for the response to be very different than it was in 2020.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

The early data suggested that Omicron's R naught was somewhere between Delta (super infectious) and measles (insanely infectious).

It's a loving beast.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Sinteres posted:

I think they should shut down while there are teams barely able to put a roster together because the product they're putting out is embarrassing, but I don't think it's as bloodthirsty to keep playing while people are getting Covid as some others do. This isn't spring 2020 anymore, and it's not clear at all that vaccinated players are at significantly greater risk than they would be from other endemic diseases like the flu. Players catching this thing from their teams were going to be exposed elsewhere anyway, just like everyone else. I think drawing the line on playing sick is still a very good thing, and testing is still good, but unless we end up in a situation where delaying getting exposed until we have new and imrpoved vaccines is a clear target to aim for, I think it's appropriate for the response to be very different than it was in 2020.

A big thing is they stopped testing players like they did last year. Last year it would be 1 guy with covid and it'd get caught early (which while not eliminating the chance of spreading, it severely decreases it). Now 1 guy has it for days and spreads it amongst the players on the court, bus, plane, etc. The Players Union is resisting going back to daily testing, and if you aren't going to do that I am not sure what else will have any effect.

The stadiums shouldn't be packed but thats probably more on the city than the league, and no politician will ever put in pandemic restrictions again so

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol nba

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

There's more than just players to think about though. Some of the coaching staffs are old af.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

leftist heap posted:

There's more than just players to think about though. Some of the coaching staffs are old af.

Yeah I think we can all agree that we don’t want Pop and others dying from Covid.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/josheberley/status/1472599875443322882?s=21

At this rate, they are going to run out of gleague players

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
If you stop thinking about a season as a sacrosanct thing and think of it as an entertainment product that wants to put on as many shows as possible, it makes sense to keep going with whoever is available. The problem with that idea is that no one involved on professional sports views them that way.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1472617255578087431

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Also although it’s possibly not as dangerous as previous variants, places that have high vaccination levels like Denmark are getting totally lit up. The Netherlands and the UK are eating it too and it’s coming with a lot of hospitalizations, so until it’s actually proven to not be as big a deal, probably a good idea to err on the side of caution.

Woozie66 posted:

If you stop thinking about a season as a sacrosanct thing and think of it as an entertainment product that wants to put on as many shows as possible, it makes sense to keep going with whoever is available. The problem with that idea is that no one involved on professional sports views them that way.
What kind of entertainment product is it when none of the stars fans recognize are playing?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Also, as a related but broader concern, it’s hard to get other people to take this seriously when you’re packing arenas for the nightly game.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Fast Luck posted:

What kind of entertainment product is it when none of the stars fans recognize are playing?

The kind that fulfills contractual obligations.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1472619788002381836 They need to cancel the season and give the championship trophy to the nets, immediately

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Anyone else think they should just sign all Big 3 players to fill the void?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it's time for jordan to make another comeback

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

triple sulk posted:

it's time for jordan to make another comeback

legendary jordan covid game

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1472629781254615045?s=20

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1472630616583655425?s=20

they would not play on monday

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1472626511417073664 Im pretty sure im not gonna be going to the nets blazers game on thursday. Fingers crossed though!!!!!!!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Shut it down for two weeks, come back with testing on all game and practice days, and figure out reduced/no capacity arenas (though honestly that should be the cities regulating that). If that doesn't work you can't run the league but by then the majority of your players probably got it so.

This won't happen because the league doesn't want to give up Christmas and the nbapa doesn't want to go back to full testing.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Hmm this Covid business is a problem

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vertical Lime posted:

alright who hasn't had covid yet

The all star game this year should just be players who haven't caught covid yet

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Whooping Crabs posted:

legendary jordan covid game

Lebron would never

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
when they've tested on mice, no mouse has survived more than 11 bouts with covid. could an NBA baller go 12 rounds with the baddest virus on the planet?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So they gonna pause the league now or nahh

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Stevie Lee posted:

when they've tested on mice, no mouse has survived more than 11 bouts with covid. could an NBA baller go 12 rounds with the baddest virus on the planet?

MPJ is certainly trying

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1472657310820417540

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

We’re gonna see entire lineups of G leaguers

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
down with covid, up with cavs!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Brolander posted:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

leftist heap posted:

We’re gonna see entire lineups of G leaguers

What is the third best pro league in North America? They might need to start finding players there in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Brolander posted: