Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Aside from the whole “the fire marshal is in Disney’s pocket” thing, you can get all kinds of deviations from fire code if you compensate for whatever potentially unsafe things you’re doing.

But it’s more expensive to use less inflammable materials or install state of the art active fire suppression or devote more of the floorplan to evacuation routes or whatever. Cheaper to built it like an ordinary hotel and slop some paint on it. The megafans will use their imaginations, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I was looking at that hotel picture, the second one and my thought was "this is a warehouse right? i've done nightwork in places that look exactly like this."

Also the part where

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I suppose it's like comics where people think the market is all kids, but it's actual single men in their 30s.

Disney realised the really big money was attracting adults willing to pay insane sums.

There's a restaurant at Disney which has a restaurant with a flat fee of $15,000 per meal. It's for 12 people, but that's still a lot of money.

Oh and this is after you pay the $50,000 initiation fee.

Those men in their 30s WANT that kid experience again, thats what they are paying for, so it needs to IMPRESS them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My kids have never seen star wars, god willing they never will.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShJtfRY_hsE

For the record, here is the promotional video they have been trying to scrub from the internet. Wow, you can go into a bar and hear someone sing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus like, $5,000 - $30,000 for 48 hours they're charging almost Westworld level $$$ and they don't even let you gently caress an animatronic? :wtc:

Debate & Discussion > Tech Nightmares: You pay Westworld money to Disney Hotel and they won't even supply a Realdoll

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

I felt a great cheapening in the Force, as if millions of whales suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SimonChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShJtfRY_hsE

For the record, here is the promotional video they have been trying to scrub from the internet. Wow, you can go into a bar and hear someone sing.

While I'm not exactly sure what else the buyers expected, that singer did not feel star warsy at all and I'm puzzled at that being the centrepiece of their fake breathless excitement.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nothingtoseehere posted:

While I'm not exactly sure what else the buyers expected, that singer did not feel star warsy at all and I'm puzzled at that being the centrepiece of their fake breathless excitement.

Shoulda been jizz music

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I mean that's the long and short of it. Like the wait for Haunted Mansion* or Excavation Everest or Tower of Terror goes by pretty fast because of the detail and commitment to having the line areas be completely in character.

The two new Star Wars rides go above and beyond even those with it. Like the Millenium Falcon one is even built so once you're close to the ride part JUST you/your group gets to walk through half the ship before and the rest after with the after section being more or less wrecked based on how well your party does on the ride.

So for the $$$ cost of it this space cruise thing was initially spoken of by Disney to be like the ultimate premium version of that experience with lots of in character cast members everywhere and even a kind of LARP/interactive theater expectation from people staying there with you picking a brief backstory/faction and stuff and different things playing out depending on how you interact with which characters.

So with Disney claiming that level of Star Wars immersion, the price, and the legit excellent work they already did on the recent Star Wars stuff there so far it's easy to see why people are cancelling their reservations with how low budget they went with the architecture and stuff like that singer.

*They even used to have people some distance from that ride dressed as the mansion's maids or whatever who wouldn't speak and if you made eye contact with them they would just look straight down and point towards the mansion or like the next closest one of them, stuff like that

tl,dr:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Shoulda been jizz music

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Mister Facetious posted:

Debate & Discussion > Tech Nightmares: You pay Westworld money to Disney Hotel and they won't even supply a Realdoll

They stopped at the R&D stage when the goofy prototype's programming exhibited behavioral anomalies

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Jenny Nicholson also posted about the itinerary for the Star Wars hotel, and it looks exhausting. You have to get up at 7 AM for non-stop Fun Star Wars Activities with hardly any breaks.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1459718788962676742

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just the eating times wouldn’t work. What happens when the kitchen gets backed up?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's marketed as a Star Wars super experience, but what it is is a treatment program for people who would spend that much money on a Star Wars super experience.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SimonChris posted:

Jenny Nicholson also posted about the itinerary for the Star Wars hotel, and it looks exhausting. You have to get up at 7 AM for non-stop Fun Star Wars Activities with hardly any breaks.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1459718788962676742

Yet another stupid thing about structuring it like a cruise/resort (does that person not know what an itinerary is? Obviously Disney isn't expecting anyone to do all of those things in one go) - Who wants to drop that much money to only do like two or three of the activities or whatever, like they're expecting people to book a 48 hour stay every year?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 19, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
More and more I see no reason why a holiday couldn't or shouldn't consist entirely of sitting on the beach drinking booze all day.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdPQbjVj8qk

And there's also this, which would be amazing, if only video games didn't already exist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48zQGqrX2EI

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I feel that an "unexpected story moment" that is neatly scheduled between 7:30 PM and 8 is not as unexpected as one might expect.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I feel that an "unexpected story moment" that is neatly scheduled between 7:30 PM and 8 is not as unexpected as one might expect.

It's one of the known unknowns

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

kirk/spock fanfiction

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

More and more I see no reason why a holiday couldn't or shouldn't consist entirely of sitting on the beach drinking booze all day.

With your phone turned off.

This guy right here knows what's up

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
What’s really fascinating to me is the degree to which Disney encourages a sort of parasocial relationship, which can at least partially be brought back around to tech nightmares in how much calculation and algorithmic stuff goes on, not to mention the amount of perpetual access that’s allowed via social media. One of my favourite responses to Disney being disappointing is that they’re “letting the fans down”, or even betraying them, as if Disney is a spouse who forgot their birthday. The vloggers in particular kind of blow my mind - it’s a perfectly engineered melding of content and lifestyle, where there’s no barrier between the corporate brand and your own personal value system.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I need an active holiday doing something outdoorsy, but yeah gently caress doing enforced fun to someone else's schedule

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, this is more my idea of a holiday, but I could see how a Disney vacation could appeal to those with Type A personalities

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, this is more my idea of a holiday, but I could see how a Disney vacation could appeal to those with Type A personalities
I'll put a hand up and say that if the hotel were what they originally promoted it as, wear cosplay, walk around freely, be totally immersed, I would want to do it. (But wouldn't, because (A) I am cheap and (B) I have been in the SCA and I know that cosplay does not guarantee the ability to stay in character. I have had so many conversations about DEC while wearing 14th-century Renaissance dress.)

But. The kind of immersion I would see as worth that kind of money requires investing in people. There have to be a respectable sprinkling of actors wandering around. The videos they're trying to showcase have really minimal immersion: one bartender and a nightclub singer. There's no "whoops, just backed up into Chewbacca" going to happen, nor yet "I just got flirted with by a blue blob". This looks more like the kind of themed restaurant lunch where you're having Glinda The Good Gatorade and Dorothy's Favorite Donuts: standard food with a genre label slapped on top.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

I've seen better production quality on Fiver.

Love that the prop projector is literally just the actress's Iphone with Adobe Premiere 101 effects slapped on it.

I've also see way better immersive events and story planning at $30 ticket entry airsoft tournaments.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What’s really fascinating to me is the degree to which Disney encourages a sort of parasocial relationship, which can at least partially be brought back around to tech nightmares in how much calculation and algorithmic stuff goes on, not to mention the amount of perpetual access that’s allowed via social media. One of my favourite responses to Disney being disappointing is that they’re “letting the fans down”, or even betraying them, as if Disney is a spouse who forgot their birthday. The vloggers in particular kind of blow my mind - it’s a perfectly engineered melding of content and lifestyle, where there’s no barrier between the corporate brand and your own personal value system.

Parasocial relationships kinda terrify me. It was bad enough when Let's Play channels, and "team houses" and social media influencer types were just bombarding their fans to abuse that system to keep them watching and engaging on everything. But now with AI algorithms, content pipelines, and general persistent behavior tracking online and via your phone, you really could create an AI Managed...Cult basically.

Remember when you'd just get a "We miss you" email if you didn't log into something for a few days? Well what if Pizza Hut texted you how hurt they were that you were cheating on them because they detected you went to a Dominos, as you went in the door?

Crain fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 19, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Crain posted:

Is there a decent thread for "New CEO decides to see how far they can cut into their brands quality thinking that they're too big to see any criticism and that the customers will lap up any basic poo poo they put out only to realize they went too far too late?"

Yeah dig up the 737 MAX thread.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't like this (beaches are hot and boring) but give me a city where I can do a few interesting things, and then wander around drinking and eating.

Spain is really great for this, the tapas thing means you don't just sit in one place and gorge yourself. You wander between many places and gorge yourself, and it's expected you'll have a nap in the afternoon to let the buzz from the lunch booze wear off.

Schedules are extremely unpleasant when I'm travelling and I hate them. I can have a vague idea of poo poo I'd Like To Do, but pinning it down any further than that is hell.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The best vacation we ever had, we rented an apartment. We had a kitchen so we could eat in if we were tired (husband cooked a magnificent chicken once), we didn't have to be out of the room so that housekeeping could come. It felt like hanging out in a city, rather than visiting it, if that makes sense. We did a fair bit of touristing, but we could go "home" and have a snack or just collapse on a couch whenever we wanted.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The best vacation we ever had, we rented an apartment. We had a kitchen so we could eat in if we were tired (husband cooked a magnificent chicken once), we didn't have to be out of the room so that housekeeping could come. It felt like hanging out in a city, rather than visiting it, if that makes sense. We did a fair bit of touristing, but we could go "home" and have a snack or just collapse on a couch whenever we wanted.

Yeah, I've done that too. If you have time for a longer vacation (a month or longer) it's also fun because you can do additional weekend trips and then come "home" instead of dragging all your poo poo with you everywhere you go.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Optimal parenting means scheduling equestrian training between lacrosse and debate team practice with 60 minute homework sprints before and after dinner.

Optimal vacationing therefore means back-to-back-to-back one-of-a-kind unforgettable experiences for 5 days in a row and if one single thing does not live up to the insanely high expectations then SOMEONE is going to PAY for RUINING our RELAXING FAMILY HOLIDAY!!!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

At some point parenting must become fully outsourced. Such a pain when the sprogs come back from Le Rosey for the holidays.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think a perfect vacation would be one where I had no responsibilities for a week.
Just an extra bedroom so I don't have to worry about waking up my wife / dog when I get up at 6 because that's the time I'm alarm-conditioned to do it would go a long way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

At some point parenting must become fully outsourced. Such a pain when the sprogs come back from Le Rosey for the holidays.

Completely off-topic, but where does this come from? I've only ever known one person before you to use this word.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Crain posted:

Parasocial relationships kinda terrify me. It was bad enough when Let's Play channels, and "team houses" and social media influencer types were just bombarding their fans to abuse that system to keep them watching and engaging on everything. But now with AI algorithms, content pipelines, and general persistent behavior tracking online and via your phone, you really could create an AI Managed...Cult basically.

Remember when you'd just get a "We miss you" email if you didn't log into something for a few days? Well what if Pizza Hut texted you how hurt they were that you were cheating on them because they detected you went to a Dominos, as you went in the door?

There's also the element of negative engagement - hate-clicks, hate-watches, etc - which I found myself sucked into during the launch of Disney's Genie app, where I was watching videos of people having their days ruined at Disneyworld and feeling a kind of sadistic schadenfreude glee. Not that I think Disney is actively making things worse to draw those kinds of responses, but the fact that I now know the ins and outs of the Galatic Starcruiser and the Genie app because I couldn't turn away from the trainwreck makes me feel weird. It's hard to disengage from all the social media industries that pop up to mock and disparage the gigantic corporations that dominate the planet.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

PT6A posted:

Completely off-topic, but where does this come from? I've only ever known one person before you to use this word.

Yeah it's a bit weird but its a British upper class idiom for children

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

I thought it was antiquated slang for semen

*Edit* turns out that was just in Australia

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
So question: If an NFT is HTML link that is inexplicably "worth millions", and I make an NFT of an NFT, can I call it "NF Titty" and is it "worth millions" multiplied or squared?

Please note: Whether or not I can afford to attend a Star Wars-themed Best Western may depend on this answer.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 19, 2021

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

HootTheOwl posted:

I think a perfect vacation would be one where I had no responsibilities for a week.
Visiting my mother in law is the only time I can sleep uninterrupted without the cat pestering me for food at 5am and my MIL gets up at 5:30-6:00 to watch my kid.

Waking up naturally at 8am is a glorious feeling that Im only able to experience there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah it's a bit weird but its a British upper class idiom for children

Yeah, the one guy I heard it from was an English drywaller, a very dear friend but I'd not call him upper-class :v:

Is it commonly used? I know plenty of English/British people but I only ever heard one use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Kaal posted:

So question: If an NFT is HTML link that is inexplicably "worth millions", and I make an NFT of an NFT, can I call it "NF Titty" and is it "worth millions" multiplied or squared?

Please note: Whether or not I can afford to attend a Star Wars-themed Best Western may depend on this answer.

Yes, this is arguably more artistically worthy than any NFT produced to date, even if it's pointless.

But you still shouldn't do it because it wrecks the planet.