Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

Will this change as the game goes on? Does your personality end up making a huge difference in the end?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah it changes who you have sex with

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Wipfmetz posted:

That one really baffled me. That can't be explained away by time pressure, a new and strange engine or something else.
There was a quest writer who really considered this to be a black/white-dilemma.
It's particularly weird given that one of KotOR's more interesting and involved quests did this right already and specifically made the point that trying but failing to kill someone makes you just as guilty of a serious crime as actually killing someone does.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm playing Andromeda for the first time and I'm disappointed by the lack of choices in the game. Will this change as the game goes on? Does your personality end up making a huge difference in the end?

No and no.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm playing Andromeda for the first time and I'm disappointed by the lack of choices in the game. Will this change as the game goes on? Does your personality end up making a huge difference in the end? It doesn't feel like a Mass Effect game if I can't choose between slapping someone or being nice to them.

No, never, really. Ryder is generically Nice and you get very few meaningful choices either story-wise or about how you want to express yourself.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

My defining impression of Andromeda's dialogue/interactions system is that it's like an inverse of Dragon Age Inquisition - where you can end up on the bad side of most companions and have cutscenes about how much they hate you, even the ones (like Cassandra) who seem like designated best buddies designed to be a sounding board for the narrative and the player character's personal arc. It's fairly hard to do this, but it makes actually becoming pals with those companions feel more meaningful, because you could have hosed things up and had a bad relationship with them instead.

In Andromeda, the characters who seem like designated best buddies (all of them) just are that. Liam is your pal and there is no way to even moderately annoy him, even if you want to, even though the game appears to set up conflicts where he has disagreements with Ryder or with other squad members. Cora is your trusted confidante and even if you find her boring as dirt, you have a choice between that dynamic and just not talking to her. You can get in a brief fight with Drack about the krogan scouts (maybe the only meaningful story decision in the game, wildly), but he forgets about it after a single mission.

It feels like it's attempting to make sure the player likes the companions, but it actually just makes dialogues with them feel perfunctory and shallow. This issue permeates the whole game: Ryder is always nice, always agreeable, and can usually offer no dialogue more challenging than [agree nerdily] instead of [agree heroically]. The animation issues got a lot of press at launch, because they were visible, but ultimately all that was superficial. The real issue with the game is the absolutely anaemic writing.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Ryder's range is Paragon to kinda rude/snarky Paragon as opposed to Shepard's range being Paragon to Smirking Kicker of Puppies

I generally don't have a problem with that because it removes characterization whiplash but more that I can see why they wouldn't want to try and have to justify a person basically leading a colonization effort and first contact relations being a murderer or space racist the way Shepard can be

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Andromeda does let you tell a bad guy you're gonna gently caress their poo poo up and then shoot them in the back as they walk away thinking you let them go. just thinking about that makes me laugh

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Seemlar posted:

Ryder's range is Paragon to kinda rude/snarky Paragon as opposed to Shepard's range being Paragon to Smirking Kicker of Puppies

I generally don't have a problem with that because it removes characterization whiplash but more that I can see why they wouldn't want to try and have to justify a person basically leading a colonization effort and first contact relations being a murderer or space racist the way Shepard can be

I think this in itself is a problem with the game's narrative, in that it wants to be about first contact (but the main plot has a quest about making first contact that occurs months after humans settle Kadara, an angara world, while Ryder's in cryosleep) and colonisation, but also really doesn't want to address any plot beats related to those things, because it's allergic to conflict that isn't ultra-simplistic "the bad forehead aliens are trying to take over!".

The trilogy was broad genre sci-fi but it did tackle big ticket issues - the rights of the geth vs. the quarians, the krogan vs. the Council, whether Shepard is trying to carve out a place for their nation-state in a hostile universe or whether they're a multilateral diplomat.

Andromeda repeatedly shies away from similarly compelling conflicts about (for instance) the rights of the angara vs. the people colonising them, or difficult diplomacy between alien species, by a bunch of writing contrivances that make clear the angara have plenty of land to share, make no claim to anything except their one city and their handful of research outposts, and are perfectly happy to give the Initiative whole planets without a care. The game makes a real effort to remove conflict from this aspect of the premise because it wants it to be an uncomplicated power fantasy, which just winds up making it flatter and less interesting.

The angara who do object to this are a bafflingly and thinly written paramilitary group that is anti-alien but, according to Jaal, existed long before the Milky Way explorers arrived, meaning there was an angara anti-alien militia that organised platoons of armed troops ready for deployment against purely theoretical aliens. Like, they hated the Kett in practise, but also it was kill on sight with all hypothetical aliens with them and they were forming up and politically organising around it. They're the sole concession to the idea that some of the angara might dislike colonisation, and they're written as villainous idiots and are clearly there just to have some model variety in the people you're shooting at.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
it is impossible to like ryder because their dad literally gives them the job

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Funnily enough the one time in the game I really remember wishing there was a much more negative dialogue choice was when you can't tell the guy who accuses you of stolen valor for using your fathers armour to take a hike

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
In addition to the previously-mentioned flat dialogue and plotlines, the gameplay felt overall like half a backwards step from ME3. Like they'd just gotten away from clunky vehicle physics over lovely terrain. They significantly scaled back the pointless hacking and resource gathering minigames. Hey lets add that stuff back and then also inexplicably add Alien Sudoku. Also, return of the meaningless "collect 15 alien dogtag" sidequests, but this time we're doing it exactly like the 400 other action RPGs.

So what was actually new and good? Jump jets.. maybe? It made things a little more three-dimensional in exploration, but in combat? Did anyone utilize any sort of aerial combat, ever? It seemed objectively worse than conventional shooting tactics. Oh I still get the accuracy and damage problems from being far away, the enemy still gets cover protection, but now everyone has a clear line of sight to shoot at me simultaneously.

I did like porting the War Table operations from DA:I and the crafting system, though.

The major storyline had some really good potential, exploring a new galaxy, all on your own, scattered by this weird space magic phenomenon nobody saw coming, slowly finding out that holy poo poo the entire Milky Way might be dead now... it just didn't quite land.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 30, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Deuce posted:

Jump jets.. maybe? It made things a little more three-dimensional in exploration, but in combat? Did anyone utilize any sort of aerial combat, ever?

literally every encounter because it was built to use charge with

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I definitely didn’t ever use the jet pack to fly and shoot at something that also had a gun to shoot back at me but the dash was nice and yeah it was great for quickly getting a charge target.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I used it all the time for shooting because a) it was fun and b) you could spec into +damage and +stats while hovering that made it reasonably okay. The jumpjets were super fun even if they weren't totally efficient.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eau de MacGowan posted:

it is impossible to like ryder because their dad literally gives them the job

They almost do some good stuff with it (Cora's resentment) but mostly walk it back by having everyone else in the galaxy be so terrible at their jobs that the nepotism kids are a significant upgrade.

Mechanically Andromeda's combat is better than ME3. The open approach to skills is a lot more fun than class-based, but they needed to branch melee and aerial stuff into their own lines. Encounter design is trash apart from a few missions, but that's been a problem in the series since Shadow Broker went whole hog with the lazy air-dropped waves of spawns approach. Crafting is garbage because of how limited resources are (unless you play a lot of multiplayer/wait for away team timers) and is full of trap choices with a few massively op options.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
are there any good mass effect-like games if i don't want to play more mass effect but i am in the mood for some galaxy sci-fi RPGing/storytelling?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

are there any good mass effect-like games if i don't want to play more mass effect but i am in the mood for some galaxy sci-fi RPGing/storytelling?

Guardians of the Galaxy is a great game that can be characterized as Mass Effect-lite.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't understand why everyone (mostly on Reddit) hates Liam so much. He's not the most fleshed out character but he's alright. He's no Jacob.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't understand why everyone (mostly on Reddit) hates Liam so much. He's not the most fleshed out character but he's alright. He's no Jacob.

ACAB

Also he sometimes comes across like an irritating wannabe alpha male bro type. Not as much as James does in ME3 sometimes tho, admittedly.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

He's worse than Jacob. At the start of the game you remind him of the 'no shooting first' rule of planetary investigation, and he immediately shoots first. Then he is told to stop wasting ammo and he immediately wastes some more ammo. Then he shares secret info without consulting anyone because he's sure he's right. He should not be allowed anywhere near anything dangerous.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
He quits being a cop because of ACAB if I remember correctly.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I thought he was a paramedic or something

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
You need to play with Liam more. At first he seems like a Jacob-like generic bro, but that's just his surface. Scratch deeper and he's weirdly aggressive and antagonistic towards all the other companions. He has enormous discipline issues. He has a compulsion to do poo poo just to do poo poo. He gets weird obsessive ideas about what's right and won't let them go.

His companion quest risks the entire initiative because he wanted to bribe some random Angara, who are already absurdly friendly, into being even more friendly. He gets nothing solid for the information, he just thought the actual official diplomatic efforts were too slow and wanted to undercut them. He then lies to you about the actual stakes and almost gets you killed instantly in a hair-brained scheme because he's covering his rear end. He THEN risks a bunch of colonial scientist in shuttles going against a gunship (of course he didn't consult you on this). Again, this is just so he doesn't have to report what he did to the actual leadership and get an APEX team to clean it up, because that would mean facing consequences for his actions.

Edit: the worst part of the whole thing isn't even what he does, it's that you can't do poo poo about it. You can mildly criticize him. You can't report his horseshit, you can't shoot him in the head or send him out an airlock. The final resolution is "oh Liam, you're so cool!" or "oh Liam, I hope you learned a valuable lesson!"

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 30, 2021

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

He quits being a cop because of ACAB if I remember correctly.

He was "a bad fit" because he wouldn't follow orders. If someone tells him to do something his first instinct is to do the opposite, no matter how dumb. Dangerously impulsive and self-righteous about it. He's also incredibly judgemental and a borderline sex offender.

No one on the crew likes him, except Gil who says he does. Gil has the same rebellious maverick streak but actually backs it up with being right most of the time, and has at least some self-awareness about what a mess he is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's both. He started as a cop but didn't enjoy the work and didn't like taking orders, then switched into a crisis-response type gig which seems like it was a good fit for him.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

sassassin posted:

He was "a bad fit" because he wouldn't follow orders. If someone tells him to do something his first instinct is to do the opposite, no matter how dumb. Dangerously impulsive and self-righteous about it. He's also incredibly judgemental and a borderline sex offender.

No one on the crew likes him, except Gil who says he does. Gil has the same rebellious maverick streak but actually backs it up with being right most of the time, and has at least some self-awareness about what a mess he is.

Also Gil probably likes him because it's much easier to get away with being Gil when there's a Liam around

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

Was a cop, then crisis response digging people out of wreckage, then everyone told him this Alec Ryder bloke is a nutcase and the Andromeda Initiative is doomed, so into a cryo tube he went.

He's a contrast to Cora, who can't function unless she has a mentor/superior/guidebook to babysit her every thought and decision. During the game she actually has to work on her issues though, and recognises they come from an unhealthy place.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 30, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Also Gil probably likes him because it's much easier to get away with being Gil when there's a Liam around

I mean, Gil is also shockingly unprofessional and needlessly antagonises Kallo Jath, including potentially putting the entire crew at risk by deliberately neglecting to inform the pilot about modifications and changes that may be necessary to the ship while navigating through uncharted space.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mr. Prokosch posted:

You need to play with Liam more. At first he seems like a Jacob-like generic bro, but that's just his surface. Scratch deeper and he's weirdly aggressive and antagonistic towards all the other companions. He has enormous discipline issues. He has a compulsion to do poo poo just to do poo poo. He gets weird obsessive ideas about what's right and won't let them go.

His companion quest risks the entire initiative because he wanted to bribe some random Angara, who are already absurdly friendly, into being even more friendly. He gets nothing solid for the information, he just thought the actual official diplomatic efforts were too slow and wanted to undercut them. He then lies to you about the actual stakes and almost gets you killed instantly in a hair-brained scheme because he's covering his rear end. He THEN risks a bunch of colonial scientist in shuttles going against a gunship (of course he didn't consult you on this). Again, this is just so he doesn't have to report what he did to the actual leadership and get an APEX team to clean it up, because that would mean facing consequences for his actions.

Edit: the worst part of the whole thing isn't even what he does, it's that you can't do poo poo about it. You can mildly criticize him. You can't report his horseshit, you can't shoot him in the head or send him out an airlock. The final resolution is "oh Liam, you're so cool!" or "oh Liam, I hope you learned a valuable lesson!"

I fail to see how any of those details makes him less like jacob

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

FoolyCharged posted:

Jacob is far too boring to be this compellingly incompetent.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wouldn't call Liam interesting

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Liam can definitely be annoying but I hate that everyone forgets who is actually the most annoying squadmate in Andromeda which is Peebee.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Peebee sucks but I still banged her in the airlock

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

FoolyCharged posted:

Jacob's loyalty quest doesn't involve you stopping a war he might have accidentally started behind your back. Like Jacob sucks sure, but you can turn your back on him and he won't massively gently caress everything up before you've turned back around.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the most annoying andromeda teammate is definitely cora

which sucks because in combat she's great

i didn't find peebee all that annoying tbh

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

site posted:

the most annoying andromeda teammate is definitely cora

which sucks because in combat she's great

i didn't find peebee all that annoying tbh

Are you sure you played Mass Effect Andromeda?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cora never shuts up about the fuckin asari commando scriptures

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Cora is the absolute worst 'white person obsessed with specific foreign culture' stereotype. Peebee is just the forgettable one that's only there to round out the roster with an asari sex object. Knockoff Garrus and Wrex are the only vaguely interesting crew :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Rynoto posted:

Cora is the absolute worst 'white person obsessed with specific foreign culture' stereotype. Peebee is just the forgettable one that's only there to round out the roster with an asari sex object. Knockoff Garrus and Wrex are the only vaguely interesting crew :colbert:

I'll have to put her down as second-worst stereotype, because at least she's obsessed with it because she was actually part of it, not holding it as some bizarre platonic ideal.