Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

It's really pretty easy to avoid those, discrimination lawsuits around hiring are rare. Honestly it's mostly some HR exec trying desperately to justify their existence and peddling snake oil to do it.

I had to go to some seminar about these for my old job, so sometimes I'd apply to a place I didn't care about and answer the test either exactly how they wanted or get the exact opposite of the score they hoped for. Got some funny emails and calls from bewildered HR women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

kingcobweb posted:

Is Ja better now than John Wall was at his prime?

That's a great question. I'd say no, but barely. Ja is much easier guy to fit since he can do everything on offense. Peak Wall was streaking like a meteorite across the court, a great passer, and a good defender. Ja's defense is pretty terrible right now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's really wild how quick John Wall was while also being so strong. Ja plays passing lanes okay if the offense is careless but he's also going to get hunted for ISOs all night in the playoffs this year.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/bingbongguy/status/1478140612650180608?s=21

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://mobile.twitter.com/statmuse/status/1478201308255383554

Kuuuuuz

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If 40% 3p shooter & 57% TS is what Ja is now he might be better than Wall. Wall is a much better defender but I don't know that it moves the needle as much as Ja's usage & efficiency. I guess its a question if this is Ja or if he cools a bit. Prime Wall was pretty frickin good though.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/HarrisonWind/status/1478211567845982216?t=QuFM_3J2Lp3aVdUKwHMYKg&s=19

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Jesus Christ this is bad

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

kingcobweb posted:

Is Ja better now than John Wall was at his prime?

By a wide margin. John wall was never very good though, just like, fairly good. Solidly above average for a handful of years. Morant flirting with Derrick Rose good

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Well I'd be shocked if Ja really is a high% 3pt shooter.
I hate when people include "made threes" in stats like this. Is it more impressive to go 30/10/5 with 5 3s than just going 30/10/5? no

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

That's a great question. I'd say no, but barely. Ja is much easier guy to fit since he can do everything on offense. Peak Wall was streaking like a meteorite across the court, a great passer, and a good defender. Ja's defense is pretty terrible right now.

The defense stuff is true but I don’t think PG defense rates, really. Porter and Gortat were the most important defenders on those teams. He was incredible to watch but the results weren’t as nearly as effective as what Morant has done this year with the same style.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I know his usage is through the roof and he's been incredibly streaky this year but...

https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1478210237370822656?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1478207763071352841?s=20

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

jackofarcades posted:

Well I'd be shocked if Ja really is a high% 3pt shooter.

I hate when people include "made threes" in stats like this. Is it more impressive to go 30/10/5 with 5 3s than just going 30/10/5? no

Yes, probably

As with more 3's being made it's probably more efficient.

But even ignoring that it also gives you more context into how he specifically played in that game and how he scored those points.

Like if they had put "and he went 13 of 15 from the line" or something that gives you more information, that hey, he got a bunch of foul calls. This game you know he went on a heater from the 3pt line. Getting 15 points from that alone.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Dexo posted:

Yes, probably

As with more 3's being made it's probably more efficient.

But even ignoring that it also gives you more context into how he specifically played in that game and how he scored those points.

Like if they had put "and he went 13 of 15 from the line" or something that gives you more information, that hey, he got a bunch of foul calls. This game you know he went on a heater from the 3pt line. Getting 15 points from that alone.

It doesn't make sense to make it a limiter. "He's only the third Wizard ever to go 30/10/5 with 5+ threes in a game." So what? I bet a bunch of Wizards went 30/10/5. Wall, Jamison, Howard, Arenas, Caron Butler, Larry Hughes, and of course Michael Jordan all went 30/10/5 once.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

jackofarcades posted:

It doesn't make sense to make it a limiter. "He's only the third Wizard ever to go 30/10/5 with 5+ threes in a game." So what? I bet a bunch of Wizards went 30/10/5. Wall, Jamison, Howard, Arenas, Caron Butler, Larry Hughes, and of course Michael Jordan all went 30/10/5 once.

This is Webber/Westbrook erasure

Edit: and some guy named Jeff Roland who I’ve never heard of but was apparently balling out of control for exactly four seasons in the 80s

Edit edit: Ruland, but my autocorrect is used to me talking about acid house and Big Black

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 4, 2022

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Senator Drinksalot posted:

That is an absolutely bitching water slide Tony's got

Not any more! I just bought it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

jackofarcades posted:

Wait until you think about how arbitrary triple doubles are.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I just looked at the ATL/POR boxscore, wtf?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Let’s get spicy today, Trae or Luka who would you rather have

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

With the Pels as they are currently constructed, Trae.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lockback posted:

I just looked at the ATL/POR boxscore, wtf?

Came here to ask the same thing

Trae was +10 in 37 minutes with 56 points, Lou Will was -12 in ten minutes with zero. All-time “despite the loss” performance. Get that dude some help, what’s going on with that roster? It looks good on paper. I guess it’s similar to Jokic where the roster is *so* constructed around one guy that without him in the lineup the other players have no idea what to do on the court.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

WhyteRyce posted:

The Hawks look far closer to winning a championship than the Mavericks so you gotta say Trae right?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

kingcobweb posted:

Trae was +10 in 37 minutes with 56 points, Lou Will was -12 in ten minutes with zero. All-time “despite the loss” performance. Get that dude some help, what’s going on with that roster? It looks good on paper. I guess it’s similar to Jokic where the roster is *so* constructed around one guy that without him in the lineup the other players have no idea what to do on the court.

They are also missing all their wings right now.

E: just like Denver is missing its #2-4 options

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

kingcobweb posted:

Also of note, Capela joined the 100% FG% on 10+ attempts club.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Kinda unfair to blame Luka for his organization being absolute garbage.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Have a joyful thing:

https://twitter.com/cclark_13/status/1478402863034474498?t=X--UYRFdrctUfVbc76so4A&s=19

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Looks like Atlanta tried to win a shootout with fewer shooters.

E: Lou Williams putting up worse numbers than IT in 2022. Rough.

E2:
This is unwordly. Guy is a blanket.

Rick fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 4, 2022

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Also of note, Capela joined the 100% FG% on 10+ attempts club.

Stats guys are going to put an asterisk on everything from the pandemic seasons. There's so much bonkers stuff going on. Two teammates dropping career highlight reel nights, on the same night, in a loss to a really not so good team which was missing its best (by far) player.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

E2:

This is unwordly. Guy is a blanket.

Spida lit him up last night but it was mainly from being on fire from 3.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

After playing against the grizz for 30 minutes, patty meals ended the game last night with zero (0) points, zero (0) rebounds, and one (1) assist

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Today? Trae

Last year? Probably Luka

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would probably still have Luka because you can't teach size and the mavs refuse to put shooters on the roster because mark cuban

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
:yeshaha:
News:
https://mobile.twitter.com/KarlTowns/status/1478101734228701187
Views:
Condolences to KAT on his impending quad tear

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

:yeshaha:
News:
https://mobile.twitter.com/KarlTowns/status/1478101734228701187
Views:
Condolences to KAT on his impending quad tear

I thought for sure this meant he was gonna play last night and was sad to see he wasn't playing when I checked but turns out we didn't need him

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Some random thoughts this morning (Ok, so 1 PM. gently caress you, I have Narcolepsy. Let me sleep in sometimes.)

As far as stats and the cruel arbitrariness of counting stats goes: I remember reading something once about why the Warriors drafted Steph Curry, and yes, his shooting was definitely mentioned, but it also had this juicy nugget about how their scouts/stat guys have this metric, I forget what they even called it, where they kept track of really good passes to open players and then his teammates failed to actually make the shot. And now I want to know who I have to slip a bag of coke* to to get that stat for NBA players.

As for my second, unrelated note: now, I also see my home-team Pistons crew in here celebrating a couple of wins. Can we please finally throw some respect at my beautiful child Hamidou Diallo? Every year this kid makes a small but significant leap in his play, and he seems to adapt his game to whatever is working for him. Are we allowed to like him, or do I have to pretend that he sucks because he doesn't shoot threes in this cursed joy-sucking era. Let's also share some love with Saddiq Bey. This feels great because, drunk off my rear end at a small New Year's party, I said to one of my friends "Cade looks like the real deal, but I also think that Diallo and Bey are legit and have a ton of potential" so seeing my two call outs go off less than a week later lets me pretend to be smart.

*The Editor would like to inform you that "Bag of coke" would more accurately be "Cherry Coca-Cola". No questions will be fielded as to why it's inside of a bag

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Veryslightlymad posted:

Some random thoughts this morning (Ok, so 1 PM. gently caress you, I have Narcolepsy. Let me sleep in sometimes.)

As far as stats and the cruel arbitrariness of counting stats goes: I remember reading something once about why the Warriors drafted Steph Curry, and yes, his shooting was definitely mentioned, but it also had this juicy nugget about how their scouts/stat guys have this metric, I forget what they even called it, where they kept track of really good passes to open players and then his teammates failed to actually make the shot. And now I want to know who I have to slip a bag of coke* to to get that stat for NBA players.

As for my second, unrelated note: now, I also see my home-team Pistons crew in here celebrating a couple of wins. Can we please finally throw some respect at my beautiful child Hamidou Diallo? Every year this kid makes a small but significant leap in his play, and he seems to adapt his game to whatever is working for him. Are we allowed to like him, or do I have to pretend that he sucks because he doesn't shoot threes in this cursed joy-sucking era. Let's also share some love with Saddiq Bey. This feels great because, drunk off my rear end at a small New Year's party, I said to one of my friends "Cade looks like the real deal, but I also think that Diallo and Bey are legit and have a ton of potential" so seeing my two call outs go off less than a week later lets me pretend to be smart.

*The Editor would like to inform you that "Bag of coke" would more accurately be "Cherry Coca-Cola". No questions will be fielded as to why it's inside of a bag

NBA.com/stats tracks "Potential Assists" which doesn't take into account shot quality but does most of what you're looking for. Not super surprising but the people that top the list also tend to top the assist list

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
You are allowed to like hami

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

My thanks. I suppose at the NBA level where everyone is supposed to be at least competent, this is less likely to tell us anything substantial.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Hami has been dope. He's the kind of guy that likes to take responsibility and show agency. It was tough for him earlier cause he had Jerami Grant and Josh Jackson ahead of him for the same spot, but who knows when Jerami will actually be back now. Much better attitude since that thing with Casey months ago. The lineups where he was on the floor with both Cade and Josh Jackson were a little rough. You could see he wanted to take the ball up from the bounce and lead the charge, but if Cade is on the floor he's the guy. He showed hesitation off the ball to make cuts or put himself into the play in those lineups, which was probably the most glaring thing last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Tae posted:

I would probably still have Luka because you can't teach size and the mavs refuse to put shooters on the roster because mark cuban

the Mavs have plenty of shooters on the roster, they're just not shooting well

THJ is a 33%
KP is at 28%
Bullock is at 30%
Brunson is at 34%