Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

City of Glompton posted:

how is this going for you? i have dill pickles in one of these little crocks (mine is not clear tho) and i ate one the other day and it was good. the hard thing for me is remembering to keep the water seal filled. it dries out so fast!

I don't really have anything super cool to report, after two weeks the beans were just really salty with a little bit of tanginess--nothing like the storebought yacai, zhacai or other Sichuan pickles you can get. I think I can see why Mala Market is of the opinion that 20g salt / 1L water (as per Food of Sichuan) is too salty of a brine. I've rotated out the beans for plain ol' cabbage and topped up with 12g / 1L brine instead. The baijiu is actually coming through very distinctively, and while it's not a bad taste, it's overpowering the vegetables more than I care for. Hopefully this is just one of those things that rounds out with age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

that's good info! i want to try making Sichuan pickles eventually and it's great to hear from someone who's been there first

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Farmer's market had a good deal on pickle-sized cucumbers yesterday so decided to make half-sours on a whim.

Wasn't planning on making slices, just spears and halves, but had to trim some of the cukes down to fit in the pint jars. Bigger jars or more slices next time (which will probably be next week, assuming the market has cucumbers again). Once I can taste these I'll probably adjust the recipe more towards my preferences too. Three cloves of garlic per jar didn't quite seem like enough.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

those look nice, are they fermented? do you end up canning them or refrigerating?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Visiting family in rural Tennessee, making apple butter in a century old brass kettle over a wood fire.

The canning bit comes later.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Annath posted:

Visiting family in rural Tennessee, making apple butter in a century old brass kettle over a wood fire.

The canning bit comes later.

Bet that tastes amazing.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Bet that tastes amazing.

It depends on how much micromanaging my one cousin (er, 1st cousin once removed I think?) does.

He is diabetic, so he protests if we add "too much" sugar, and he also does this weird poo poo with the cinnamon where he takes whole cinnamon sticks and crushes them into little pieces and puts them in.

Cinnamon doesn't soften at all, so you end up with these sharp chunks. Nobody knows why he does it, but he brooks no argument.

So it ends up being more of a social activity and a chance to see family I rarely get to spend time with, and the actual apple butter is secondary.

But sometimes it turns out well!

E:

Jarring time!

Annath fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 30, 2021

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
It's November, so my closet finally maintains an ambient temperature that's good for sauerkraut fermentation without me having to change ice packs out twice a day!

Looking forward to blurple turning pink in the coming week.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

oooh pretty!

do you like the lid you're using? my first sauerkraut was pretty good so i want to make more, but I want an airlock lid instead of makeshift weight system

effika
Jun 19, 2005

City of Glompton posted:

oooh pretty!

do you like the lid you're using? my first sauerkraut was pretty good so i want to make more, but I want an airlock lid instead of makeshift weight system

I do! I got them in the Jillmo fermentation kit. The kit comes with gaskets for everything and has held up well so far. I also got some extra heavy glass weights for it:

"Premium Hand-Crafted Glass Fermentation Weights with Easy Handle for Wide Mouth Mason Jar Fermenting Sauerkraut, Pickles, Kimchi and More Home Fermented Foods 6pck New & Improved 7.1oz"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TCD5MKY/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_4ACEBB2A57D0TCS220BW

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

awesome! thanks for the link

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Time for some Christmas fermenting and my first solo canning attempt!

First up, my grandmother's bread and butter pickles. Her recipe was really close to the Ball one, so I followed that except for her ginger-heavy spice blend and using onions for half the cucumber weight. These are my dad's favorite pickles and they should make a good present for him, assuming they seal!

Next, two batches of cranberries! One is a salt brine with some orange juice, cinnamon, cloves, candied ginger, and maple syrup (to give the LAB something to eat). The other is honey, orange juice, cloves, and ginger root.

Had to bash the cranberries open with my kraut pounder and found that a very therapeutic process.

I wound up using a really small silicone bowl cover to hold the cranberries down in the salt brine. Those suckers float! If this works out well I may do that for sauerkraut as a floaties trap, too.

I hope one of the two ferments is edible! They sound delicious.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That sounds amazing

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

effika posted:

I wound up using a really small silicone bowl cover to hold the cranberries down in the salt brine. Those suckers float!

Remember, they grow in bogs!

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Got the big boy going to can broth, since I cooked a total of 4 turkeys (3 at a charity kitchen, 1x 23lb big boy at home). Much carcasses. Used my canning kettle to boil the broth, then chilled overnight (it was 25F degrees out!) - knew it would get warm today (40's) so I took a friend's recommendation, put the over to 200F, popped the lidded kettle in there for 9 hours while I was at work, and now am pressure canning 14 pints of delicious think broth. (Partner works from home, so could keep an eye on it)

Used my oxo broth separator to pull the fat off.

Just coming up to pressure now. Poking All American Aluminum's website, I am signing over home metal can sealers, which I have practical need for, but want. (They don't give a price, which is probably for the best).

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Fermentation update!

Is now

Though the brine shrank in the last week or so, the LAB did their job so there wasn't any mold or yeast or decomposition. It is very tasty! Next to it is bag of delicious brats from the local German restaurant. Excellent pairing.

Is now

These guys I'm not sure about.

The honey one seems to be going along slowly, but so far seems on track. The honey is thinning out, and there is a cloudiness to it now. It smells nice when I burp it, at least!

The brine one has some hot pink build up that worries me. It's under the brine, but over the silicone pusher, so I don't know what the environment is like there. The brine one took about a week to get going but bubbled happily for the next week. I have less faith in this fermention colony's ability so I'm kind of loathe to open it up to see if it smells or what. I think I'll just wait another 2 weeks and see if Santa brought me coals or presents! (I will end up tossing it if there's any doubt it's not 100% safe.)

:ohdearsass:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Brine fermented cranberries are finished after 3 weeks in my hall closet!

Once I got the jar into good light it was clear the pink stuff was just very pigmented lees, and not what I'd expect for something like rhodotorula yeast build up. (At least, I hope so. This is based on classes from *cough* years ago now.)

It turns out that I do not like cloves as much as I thought, so these taste a little medicinal. Nothing a drizzle of honey doesn't fix! Salty-sour with hints of cinnamon, orange, and ginger, too. Success! Next time: less cloves, more ginger!

I went through my honey ferment and picked out all the cloves so it doesn't get any more medicinal. That jar is going very slowly and I think needed more juice added or more cranberries popped. Maybe in a few more weeks it will be ready! Or it'll turn into mead. The berry I tried from it was pleasantly sweet and sour, but there's definitely a whiff of yeast from that jar. Oops.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

those look nice!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cloves can be anti fungal prevent fermentation btw. They’ll also concentrate in flavor way more than you expect. I’ve ruined a couple ferments with them.

Edit: meant anti microbial, but they’re anti fungal too.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 17, 2021

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I think I am going to start a list of the food things I use cooking, that I really should/could can. I don't think of whole tomatoes often, but they are great for recipes. I spend a lot of time cooking down tomato sauce, but I use at least a dozen cans of 'diced canned tomatoes' for regular recipes.

Also in vaguely related news, started a new survival Co op game, Icarus, and you get stupid buffs from jarred pickled carrots and berry jam. Despite also having bread, I have not yet discovered a sandwich. You just have to build a glassblowing crafting thing first...

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

that's a good idea. i've been trying to figure out what i should grow to can this year, too. i don't have a pressure canner though so i'm a little more limited. canning tomatoes would be awesome...

the one thing we all loved was tiny pickles, so i guess i'm going to plant a lot of cukes and pick em when they're small

haven't heard of icarus, do you have hit the bong before you get the bright idea to make a sandwich?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure you can do tomatoes in a hot water bath canner. At least, the more acidic ones. Paste tomatoes might be out of the question.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Yep, you can water bath-process whole or half tomatoes, as long as you add extra acid, per NCFP. Just too dicey on the actual acidity level of each batch of tomatoes, and this way you should always meet the pH needed.

Looks like a bunch of tomato products can be hot water processed-- though some of the recipes on that page will need a pressure canner.

e: fixed link

effika fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 18, 2022

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

City of Glompton posted:

that's a good idea. i've been trying to figure out what i should grow to can this year, too. i don't have a pressure canner though so i'm a little more limited. canning tomatoes would be awesome...

the one thing we all loved was tiny pickles, so i guess i'm going to plant a lot of cukes and pick em when they're small

haven't heard of icarus, do you have hit the bong before you get the bright idea to make a sandwich?

If you like pickly things I cannot suggest green beans enough. Super productive, easy as f to grow, and are stinking delicious when they're pickled. Also great as part of the topping for a Bloody Mary.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Does anyone here have a preferred canning-friendly red salsa recipe?

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

that is good info about tomatoes, thanks all. a bunch of things I was reading last summer said modern tomatoes are not acidic enough, don't can wbc them, but I'm willing to try adding acid.

I do love dilly beans, I'll need to grow a lot more beans this year for that purpose.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Never heard that, unless you are canning with like...some sort of weird cherry tomatoes. My hands sure as hell get raw after a day of skinning and deseeding them!
Edit: please link any source about non acidic tomatoes, if you can (USDA/Food Safety sites, or like.... Random internet person?)

If you are new to doing tomato stuff, getting the hang of removing skins can be fun. Don't wear anything that stains, and clear out a fair bit of counter space. For me, at least I end up with spurts of seeds in random directions. Dunk in boiling water, fish out with slotted spoon, dunk in ice water. Slide out of their little jacket!

My garden doesn't produce enough for what I do, so I wait until peak time and find the booths at the farmers market with 25lb boxes. It becomes a race to get them processed, and my other half remembers plans he had before he can get drafted.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

farmer's almanac, fwiw https://www.almanac.com/how-to-can-tomatoes and i think i read this one too https://www.simplycanning.com/how-to-can-tomatoes/ but on re-read i see they say to add acid...

i am not sure why me from 6 months ago saw "need to add acid" and gave up but i did lol. thanks for the skinning advice!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I put up all of my tomatoes with a pressure canner. It's quicker than a water bath and necessary if you're canning salsa or other tomato-based sauces.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Just throwing out there that the USDA no longer recommends hot water canning for raw pack tomatoes. As of two years ago. We still do once in a while but it seems like it's time to phase that particular pantry item out.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Since this looks like the de facto fermentation thread I wanna ask peoples' thoughts on the slight bit of mold that grew on my gardiniera. Not worried about the kahm yeast, but the darker stuff thats on the silicone nipple thing.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

I mainly post deals in TFR, but I'm going to drop this here since there's a dedicated hobby thread. I don't think I've been seeing less than $1/jar online since COVID happened, but I could be wrong.

BeAuMaN posted:

There's some good sales on Mason/canning jars here; like $1 a jar or less

12-Count 32 oz. Ball Wide Mouth Jars for $11.96
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Glass-Mason-Jars-with-Lids-Bands-Wide-Mouth-32-oz-12-Count/16930173

12-Count 32 oz. Kerr Regular Mouth Jars for $10.78
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kerr-Canning-Jars-Regular-Mouth-Quart-32-oz-Mason-Jars-with-Lids-and-Bands-12-Count/861067410

12-Count 16 oz. Ball Wide Mouth Jars for $10.97
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Glass-Mason-Jars-with-Lids-Bands-Wide-Mouth-Clear-16-oz-12-Count/16213254

12-Count 16 oz. Kerr Wide Mouth Jars for $10.47 (I'm seeing pickup only; no shipping)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kerr-Canning-Jars-Wide-Mouth-Pint-16-oz-Mason-Jars-with-Lids-and-Bands-12-Count/551383771

12-Count 16 oz. Ball Regular Mouth Jars for $9.47
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Glass-Mason-Jar-with-Lid-Band-Regular-Mouth-16-oz-12-Count/14234955

12-Count 16 oz. Kerr Regular Mouth Jars for $9.74
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kerr-Canning-Jars-Regular-Mouth-Pint-16-oz-Mason-Jars-with-Lids-and-Bands-12-Count/768703258

12-Count 8 oz. Ball Quilted Regular Mouth Jars for $9.47
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Quilted-Crystal-Glass-Mason-Jars-with-Lids-Bands-Regular-Mouth-8-oz-12-Count/16213255

Note: Pricing may be regional and certain products may be higher priced in your region. Some items may be pickup only but most are shipping for me.

Source: https://slickdeals.net/f/15570364-12-count-16-oz-ball-regular-mouth-glass-mason-jars-with-lids-bands-9-50-more-free-store-pickup?v=1

I replenished some of the jars I gave away during the winter holidays :parrot:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I made this salsa recipe today, and it came out great! 5 de-seeded jalapeno peppers is laughably too little heat though; I should've included the seeds and/or tossed in some habaneros. But now I have seven pints of salsa socked away for future use. I predict it's not going to last very long.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

that looks lovely! i'll be bookmarking that link, thank you

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've got a few pounds of asparagus and I'd like to put up some pickled asparagus. Does this recipe look ok? https://www.seriouseats.com/pickled-asparagus-recipe-how-to-make

Is 50/50 water and vinegar generally considered safe? That's a proportion I'm seeing a lot.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 21, 2022

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've got a few pounds of asparagus and I'd like to put up some pickled asparagus. Does this recipe look ok? https://www.seriouseats.com/pickled-asparagus-recipe-how-to-make

Is 50/50 water and vinegar generally considered safe? That's a proportion I'm seeing a lot.

Oh hey I had a draft saved and never posted! Sorry.

When in doubt, I go back to the NCHFP's website to compare against their recipes. Here's what they have for pickled asparagus. 50/50 water/vinegar is pretty common, yeah.

I put up more sauerkraut today. It's warm enough that I need ice packs in the closet again, but that's a small price to pay for deliciousness!

Oh, and for anyone wondering about my honey fermented cranberries: I gave up on them this month. They never really sank, though they did shrink up, and the honey got cloudier in a way that didn't seem right. Chucked it all to be safe. I think I will give it another try next cranberry season, but I'll make sure all the cranberries are pierced open. (Or I'll just brine ferment all my bags, because OH WOW were those delicious in cocktails and mocktails, or on their own with a drizzle of honey.)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cranberries are going to be very hard only bad cranberries stink naturally. They can mess with bacteria, which is why people drink them for UTIs.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Cranberries are going to be very hard only bad cranberries stink naturally. They can mess with bacteria, which is why people drink them for UTIs.

Yeah last fall I literally screamed at a jar of cranberries before finding the right trap/weight combo to keep them down.

And they ferment fine in a salt brine if the skins are broken open so the bacteria can get to the nutrition inside. Not all bacteria hate them!

I just didn't have success with the honey preserved versions I see everywhere.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

effika posted:

Yeah last fall I literally screamed at a jar of cranberries before finding the right trap/weight combo to keep them down.

And they ferment fine in a salt brine if the skins are broken open so the bacteria can get to the nutrition inside. Not all bacteria hate them!

I just didn't have success with the honey preserved versions I see everywhere.

Have you thought about maybe pasteurizing your crans before you start the fermentation process with the honey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Tonight's pickling adventure. Cauliflower, cucumbers, red pepper, dill, red onion, garlic, mustard seed, blah blah blah