Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I like following some character who runs off after you’re done talking with them and seeing where they go. Like the lottery winner ends up getting killed by rad scorpions on his journey to Crescent Canyon

Also I followed the NCR guys who you talk down from attacking Jacobstown and they ended up running all the way north to that group of enemies who have the YCS 186 and got annihilated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cat Hassler posted:

Also I followed the NCR guys who you talk down from attacking Jacobstown and they ended up running all the way north to that group of enemies who have the YCS 186 and got annihilated

Serves them right. :colbert:

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zzNDdUWf8Y

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Cat Hassler posted:

I like following some character who runs off after you’re done talking with them and seeing where they go. Like the lottery winner ends up getting killed by rad scorpions on his journey to Crescent Canyon

Semper Games

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Is there any way to not aggro all the super mutants and nightkin on black mountain?

If I sneak up and go into the radio station Tabitha instantly aggros and I have no opportunity to talk to her. Is violence the only option?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Do you have a stealth boy? If you can reach Rhonda and repair her Tabitha and all the other super mutants stop being hostile.

I usually reach the terminal where you can remotely talk to Tabitha, then when she tells the mutants to go there and kill me i trigger a stealth boy and head over to fix Rhonda. I usually get through Black Mountain only killing 1-2 hostiles.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, the trick is you can't open the door to Tabitha or free Raul without having fixed Rhonda or it's an unavoidable fight. You have to repair Rhonda first, then Tabitha will come find you for another resolution.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I once successfully got the peaceful resolution for Black Mountain only for all the super mutants to turn hostile again because there was like a single SM guard halfway down the mountain who was still permanently hostile, so the moment that one detected me, all the rest got angry too, Tabitha and Rhonda included.

I think you might have to kill the first few super mutants no matter what.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess worth posting this here.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-02-24-fallout-new-vegas-2-reportedly-in-very-early-discussions-at-microsoft-and-obsidian

Who knows what it could be like. I guess if this was the movie industry, things in early discussions would be more meticulously documented so you wouldn't have to just follow rumor trains for basic information.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would be very stoked about Obsidian getting to do another west coast game. Not going to hold my breath but also it doesn't seem that surprising that people would be discussing it. Planning to make it is a whole other thing but I would expect people at Microsoft are going through all the games/IPs they own now and having discussions about what to do with it.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Obsidian make Blinx 3

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
is anyone who made new vegas good still there though?

if its the same people who made the outer worlds, then id rather they just not

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess worth posting this here.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-02-24-fallout-new-vegas-2-reportedly-in-very-early-discussions-at-microsoft-and-obsidian

Who knows what it could be like. I guess if this was the movie industry, things in early discussions would be more meticulously documented so you wouldn't have to just follow rumor trains for basic information.

I was wondering what this tweet from Ropekid was about...
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1496912408375283728

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

BigHandsVince posted:

Is there any way to not aggro all the super mutants and nightkin on black mountain?

If I sneak up and go into the radio station Tabitha instantly aggros and I have no opportunity to talk to her. Is violence the only option?

Cool thing I found out the other day. If you are at the pit where the two dead BoS Paladins are and climb around the edges you can actually go up Black Mountain directly behind Tabitha's radio building, after getting through a hard-locked gate. Just a little bit of sneaking and you can fix Tabitha's robot. I never even talked to Neil on this run-through.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I hope it's a battle royale

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Online only, subscription based MMORPG, with pay to win elements, naturally.

Fallout 76 was just a trial run.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 25, 2022

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Grubb is pretty reliable! Guess we'll find out if any of the many potential points of failure (eg, global collapse) befall such a project in the 3-4 years it will take to make

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
New Vegas 2 sort of implies a canon ending to the original I'm not entirely sure I like.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I'd be surprised if it was just New Vegas again; there might be a canon ending, but I'd expect "New Vegas 2" is more of a shorthand for "another Obsidian Fallout game."

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Caidin posted:

New Vegas 2 sort of implies a canon ending to the original I'm not entirely sure I like.
As powerful as the Courier ends up being, the core themes of NV include that once a nation starts moving in a direction the centrifugal force is immense / an object in motion stays in motion / regional control in the face of opposition is not at all simple. Put enough years between 1 and 2 and a full-on independent ending can shake out pretty much any way the devs want. When I wrote up a nascent NV2-Van Buren mashup TTRPG setting I just made NV an impenetrable robo-enforced city-state, moved the campaign action east and focused on the slow, bloody dissolution of the Legion post-Caesar/Lanius and the NCR strangling itself as it tried to push farther east without control of New Vegas

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 25, 2022

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

As powerful as the Courier ends up being, the core themes of NV include that once a nation starts moving in a direction the centrifugal force is immense / an object in motion stays in motion / regional control in the face of opposition is not at all simple. Put enough years between 1 and 2 and a full-on independent ending can shake out pretty much any way the devs want. When I wrote up a nascent NV2-Van Buren mashup TTRPG setting I just made NV an impenetrable robo-enforced city-state, moved the campaign action east and focused on the slow, bloody dissolution of the Legion post-Caesar/Lanius and the NCR strangling itself as it tried to push farther east without control of New Vegas

While it's probably inevitable that any prospective sequel to the west coast series would have to have to settle on which ending slides to keep one can't help but get attached to ones preferred throughways. I guess I'll get over it.

Really I'm hoping to hear about the repercussions of my literally brainless courier trying to manage the secret gaggle of abomination nerds they bully into submission while dealing with whatever the much more successful abomination nerd they work for is trying to do this week.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I mean, I assume when people say New Vegas 2 they just mean another west coast Obsidian-made Fallout game. I doubt it would literally be New Vegas 2 - Continued adventures of the Courier

anyway, I wouldn't read to much into it, I'm sure all sorts of things are in early discussion all the time, I'd be surprised if this is the first time it's come up. but I don't think Josh Sawyer seems super into the idea of directing another large scale project like that at least in the near future

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd like to see the East Coast Brotherhood challenge the NCR since the east coast has been going hard on the fascist empire building and the moderate brotherhood members are dead.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

New place, vague references. Anything else is a gently caress up on their part.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mandrel posted:

I doubt it would literally be New Vegas 2 - Continued adventures of the Courier

This made me picture Doc Mitchell saying "Well, you're awake! You helped capture Hoover Dam for"

A) The NCR
B) The Legion
C) Mr. House
D) Yourself

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chamale posted:

This made me picture Doc Mitchell saying "Well, you're awake! You helped capture Hoover Dam for"

A) The NCR
B) The Legion
C) Mr. House
D) Yourself

Ah the Kotor 2 approach: telling a liar he's full of poo poo to pick your own canon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah if they made another game I would not expect it to actually be in New Vegas but just part four of the west coast Fallout story.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I would be very stoked about Obsidian getting to do another west coast game. Not going to hold my breath but also it doesn't seem that surprising that people would be discussing it. Planning to make it is a whole other thing but I would expect people at Microsoft are going through all the games/IPs they own now and having discussions about what to do with it.

There is also the fact that the Fallout IP, 76 excepted, is going to be dormant for... a while with Bethesda busy on Starfield and TES VI, so it makes sense to look if another developer (provided Bethesda's okay) wants to take a stab at it, and Obsidian makes sense given New Vegas and its history. That said, Obsidian also seems rather busy, and this really just feels like a watercooler discussion that is being reported, rather than a definitive plan.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It's not like New Vegas itself doesn't make decisions on what endings are canon from previous games. The good Followers ending can't be obtained in Fallout 1, but in Vegas, it's canon.

Maybe keep it vague like an NPC saying "Oh yeah, House runs a nice strip, he'll drain your caps, but he's a buffer between NCR and the Legion, at the very least". Nothing too in detail.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just do a Morrowind and say CHIM Chems made it all canon.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Where Were You When The House Broke?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tunneler ending is Canon.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just make a fallout game right after the bombs. None of this 200 years later garbage.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I just finished my first replay of the game in some time. I'm sort of amazed to still be unlocking achievements more than ten years after I got my first one (reaching level 10, I think?) With mods and a new PC this was a much more stable install than I'm accustomed to, but there's no stopping the jank - my favorite may be the game occasionally just forgetting about the Jsawyer level cap, such that I completed Hoover Dam at level 37. But I also observed a pair of Tunnelers in Lonesome Road turning themselves both pacifistic and totally invisible, and about a dozen different NPCs earnestly directing their observations on recent events and local politics to my dog.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Fallout: Even Newer Vegas.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
House, Yes Man and Legion all hinge on the will of a single violent psychopath to keep the dream alive so I don't think it's completely outlandish to say that the NCR eventually ends up with the Mojave and just be vague on the details.

Or if you wanna be really bleak, say that too many people pushed too hard and they all collapsed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean the legion are clearly in the best position to win the dam if the courier didn't get involved. Whether or not the faction could survive Caesars death is unknown, but they had the better strategy going into the battle for sure.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

They could take it, but doubtful that they could hold it, and I'm not sure they'd even want to. The Legion is nomadic by design.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I think you could potentially do something interesting with former Legion territory after a Legion collapse - Arizona, Denver, etc. You wouldn't need to commit to a canon winner of the second battle for Hoover Dam, because one theme the game stresses is how unstable the Legion will be regardless once Caesar is gone. Meanwhile the power vacuum would allow for the development of new factions and characters, which is, in my opinion, part of what made New Vegas work - not just using the Enclave, the Brotherhood of Steel, and the super mutants again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah, if there's one thing I'd love to see in a new Fallout game it's less regurgitation. With the East Coast games you can just sort of tell that they included an element because it was "Fallout" and then wrote somewhat strenuous justifications afterwards (Supermutants, BoS, Enclave). In some ways I do appreciate the Institute being in Fallout 4 because at the very least they're a new major element, I just wish the faction could actually argue its case.