Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
PUNK VS MAX 0 0%
LETHAL VS MOX 8 6.35%
GUNNS VS FTX 5 3.97%
BRYAN VS YUTA 92 73.02%
THE VS TONI 2 1.59%
DARBY VS EL IDOLO 19 15.08%
Total: 126 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

DLC Inc posted:

where the gently caress is Miro

I kind of want Miro to join the Moxley/Danielson beatdown express. Having a huge dude on that team just destroying dudes would be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I don't know much about Toni Storm but every wrestler who shows up in AEW after leaving WWE acts like a rescued hostage in their debut.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

There have been a bunch of questionable booking decisions lately from my perspective, and a lot of them fall under the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

Malakai Black was the most badass over person when he was fresh off of his debut. Now we have the directionless House of Black with Brody King (underwhelming and can't cut a promo) and Buddy Matthews (I really like him in the ring but he does not fit for HoB at all) feuding with... Fuego and Dark Order?? They completely killed Black's momentum and the three-man promos are terrible. I thought for sure he would quickly be put into at least the TNT title scene.

Hangman is another example and I explained it above.

I'm glad we got to see Danielson in a singles match again and hope there's more because, as much as I love the concept of the Regal Tough Guys Club, Danielson's work as a singles heel was just unbelievably good and was the best thing AEW had going and now he's being thrown into tag matches against the Varsity Blonds. I really hope they continue letting Mox and Danielson do singles matches more often because as a tag team you neuter both of them imo.

Archer with Dan Lambert doesn't really make sense to me. We get enough Lambert with Men of the Year and Archer's last confrontation with Lambert did not imply that they like each other at all. There was no explanation as to why this alliance occurred.

Jericho Appreciation Society doesn't make sense to me and has not resonated as being interesting. 2.0 and Garcia join forces with Jericho after they just got done with a heated feud about a month earlier? Jericho hops from faction to faction and does the same stuff and it's getting tired. I thought after his match with Kingston and his whole "you awakened something in me" would give us an old school Jericho singles push but we have this instead.

Anyway, AEW rocks but I think Tony needs to slow down with his booking impulses a bit and just do stuff that makes sense and doesn't seem forced or totally out of the blue or both. Also the predictability of things happening over and over, like two big factions are feuding and there's a beatdown after a match, and it's 5 on 3 in favor of the heels. OF COURSE The Hardys are coming out. Those number-evening beatdowns happen all the time and you're just sitting there knowing it's going to happen.

I'm also aware that it's hard to have good ideas all the time for a huge roster, so I'm not trying to be too hard about it. It's just that the shows, while mostly enjoyable, feel messy and some of the angles make me feel like, "why is this happening."

PS. As a note, I've realized that AEW doesn't really do outside-the-ring storylines/promos and probably should so things feel mixed up and more character-based. An example if Kenny and Don Callis cutting a promo from their house. Stuff like that. I feel like you would avoid the predicability of the same kinds of stuff happening during and after matches, or at least get to character build a little better and have slower burns to feuds.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 31, 2022

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I also feel like some times people just don't remember. Since the beginning AEW has not been booked like other wrestling promotions where the entire show is always built around the main champ. Mox and Jericho and Kenny were often not the main event angle of that particular show. What this means though is that a lot more of the roster feel like big deals. So maybe Hangman doesn't feel like the biggest because folks like Andrade, Bryan, Sammy, Miro, House of Black, etc etc all feel like big deals as well.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Shard posted:

I also feel like some times people just don't remember. Since the beginning AEW has not been booked like other wrestling promotions where the entire show is always built around the main champ. Mox and Jericho and Kenny were often not the main event angle of that particular show. What this means though is that a lot more of the roster feel like big deals. So maybe Hangman doesn't feel like the biggest because folks like Andrade, Bryan, Sammy, Miro, House of Black, etc etc all feel like big deals as well.

They definitely booked Mox and Kenny more prevalently and more larger-than-life than they are with Page. It's not even close. Page seems like he could lose the belt at any time, whereas Mox and Kenny seemed like unbeatable freight trains.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DLC Inc posted:

where the gently caress is Miro

Brooklyn, I guess

https://twitter.com/ToBeMiro/status/1508462267838439424

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

fawning deference posted:

Page seems like he could lose the belt at any time, whereas Mox and Kenny seemed like unbeatable freight trains.
I'd argue that this is a feature more than a bug

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

They definitely booked Mox and Kenny more prevalently and more larger-than-life than they are with Page. It's not even close. Page seems like he could lose the belt at any time, whereas Mox and Kenny seemed like unbeatable freight trains.

Almost as if that's the point.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

That's fair and I hope we get some good story with that. But Page feels like he's just dealing in a side story right now and I would argue that's probably not the best way to book your world champion. His promos haven't been interesting or had much depth to them. Matches have been terrific. There's just something missing and he's not being truly given the spotlight the way I thought he would get it.

Perhaps a feud with Punk will change that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

That's fair and I hope we get some good story with that. But Page feels like he's just dealing in a side story right now and I would argue that's probably not the best way to book your world champion. His promos haven't been interesting or had much depth to them. Matches have been terrific. There's just something missing and he's not being truly given the spotlight the way I thought he would get it.

Perhaps a feud with Punk will change that.

Completely disagree with the promos, his promos with Cole especially storytime have been excellent and the dynamic between the two is really compelling.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Uncle Ulty posted:

Can we please get an AEW version of WWE Crush Hour?

"I am Calypso and I am All Elite."

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

MassRafTer posted:

Completely disagree with the promos, his promos with Cole especially storytime have been excellent and the dynamic between the two is really compelling.

Fair enough. I'm tired of Adam Cole and the feud and don't think the feud should have gone on past Revolution and Page's promos to me are surface-level "hell yeah I'm ready to fight" without really digging deep.

I'm certainly not here to say my opinions of what I like should be everyone else's though. Do you think Hangman's reign has been generally well booked?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

state of this place

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Cole and Redragon rule for the same reason Menard does: its funny when wrestlers are horrid little weirdoes.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Alaois posted:

state of this place

sooouth carolina

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

projecthalaxy posted:

Cole and Redragon rule for the same reason Menard does: its funny when wrestlers are horrid little weirdoes.

I would actually have loved to see ReDRagon and 2.0 feud and do goofy poo poo. Hope that happens down the line.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

beggar posted:

sooouth carolina

Home of the Gamecocks

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Pilot? Is he doing a TV show?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mons Hubris posted:

Literally yes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mons Hubris posted:

Yes, it's unknown if he is up for more than the pilot.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Mons Hubris posted:

From Fightful:

quote:

According to Fightful Select, this week Miro is in New York working on a television product for a CBS pilot show. In addition, Miro has done some more film work during his time off from the ring. Former Lana, CJ Perry, has multiple upcoming television projects.

Miro signed a four-year contract extension with AEW recently, as his contract was set to expire in the spring of 2022.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I think one of the reasons AEW feels weird right now is there isn't any big deal main event angle or feud right now, everyone is just kind of doing midcard stuff. Rosa/Britt is over, Punk/MJF is over, Cole/Hangman should have been over. We're in the come down period from the last ppv and everything feels like it's in the beginning stages of whatever the next story is.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna go to every Dushkin Donuts in Brooklyn and hope I run into him

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fish Of Doom posted:

I think one of the reasons AEW feels weird right now is there isn't any big deal main event angle or feud right now, everyone is just kind of doing midcard stuff. Rosa/Britt is over, Punk/MJF is over, Cole/Hangman should have been over. We're in the come down period from the last ppv and everything feels like it's in the beginning stages of whatever the next story is.

This happens after literally every AEW ppv and every time people act like the sky is falling

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

The only one of these that ever felt like a main event feud was Punk/MJF.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Took 19 hours to go from a very good episode to engaging with an essay-length “Here are all the ways AEW is failing to satisfy me personally” post, great stuff

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Toni has the kind of star aura and presence and natural charisma that kills it in wrestling. Her look, her mannerisms, everything she does.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It makes sense for Page but works better against guys like Danielson or Archer but less so with Cole.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Rarity posted:

Jeff please just stop doing the Swanton

Kennel posted:

I wonder if Jeff is purposely landing the swanton bomb on his shoulders, since this was the second time it happened. I read that taking a butt bump is really painful for him and landing directly on the opponent sucks for them.

https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/1509584532370038788?s=20&t=EcRoGtCDrdhNInEdYzEAHw
https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/1509589141528489987?s=20&t=EcRoGtCDrdhNInEdYzEAHw

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

xbilkis posted:

Took 19 hours to go from a very good episode to engaging with an essay-length “Here are all the ways AEW is failing to satisfy me personally” post, great stuff
It's not like aew should ever be above criticism, but... i guess we just can't help ourselves and it'll go on like this until the day aew is as bad as wwe has been for the past few years

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm not sure if it's a regional store or what, but there is a place around here called Menards, and their jiggle is "Save big money at Menards!", and now I can only hear it as "Daddy Magic Matt Menard!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sweH1131Vw0

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

xbilkis posted:

state of this thread

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Yeah because Page is a perpetual underdog and he is always flawed and vulnerable whose worst enemy is himself. You can't keep those elements and be an unstoppable killing machine. That's how you get SuperCena.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

I felt this way about Bryan Danielson and even Archer, but not for a single moment have I ever believed he was in danger of losing the belt to Adam Cole. The moment I saw him come out in that Halo gear I breathed a sigh of relief because I trust in Papa Tony and know he would never put the title on that dork.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
disliking Adam Cole for some internet reason doesn't mean Hangman's not in a main event story, hell

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
aew isn't above criticism but that has never meant that all criticism of aew is valid or even correct & people going 'I really disagree with these points you're making and here's the way I feel about it based on how aew has done things historically' is also fine to have

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fish Of Doom posted:

I think one of the reasons AEW feels weird right now

We are under 24 hours away from a Dynamite that was called "a top 10 Dynamite" and an "all-timer" in the thread.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also I think if you're going 'everything in this show feels like the same importance' the conclusion I'd take is that they're doing a very good job of making everything feel important and not 'everything seems like midcard and nothing seems main event'

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
they're trio'ing everyone up because we're getting trios belts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

flatluigi posted:

aew isn't above criticism but that has never meant that all criticism of aew is valid or even correct & people going 'I really disagree with these points you're making and here's the way I feel about it based on how aew has done things historically' is also fine to have

It is, and AEW should be criticised and held to a high standard.the problem of course is when there's no good faith in the criticism. Only when you truly love something can you see how flawed it is and work to it to be better.

Good faith: Thunder Rosa being interrupted last week was the wrong call and diminished her moment, they made amends.

Bad faith: AEW is burying LAX and the Hardys by having them feud with people they have an established rivalry with.