Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Grats! Glad to hear you had fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Hi :)

In the UK here and having heard a lot about ASL over the years, I kind of find myself wanting to pick it up and give it a try.

I found the links to the ASL Academy youtube channel really helpful.

I was just wanting to check that picking up ASL Starter Kit #1 was a good way to start off?

Assuming that I like what I see, would there be any point in picking up Starter Kits #2 and #3 or do you think I would be better off just getting the main rule book and Beyond Valor? (Assuming I can find it, seems it hard to get here!)

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

StarBegotten posted:

In the UK here and having heard a lot about ASL over the years, I kind of find myself wanting to pick it up and give it a try.

I was just wanting to check that picking up ASL Starter Kit #1 was a good way to start off?

Assuming that I like what I see, would there be any point in picking up Starter Kits #2 and #3 or do you think I would be better off just getting the main rule book and Beyond Valor? (Assuming I can find it, seems it hard to get here!)

There are a few rules simplifications in the starter kits but nothing that would make transitioning to the full rules overly difficult. There are even some SK groups that exclusively play SK rules scenarios. Beyond Valor is $132 and the pocket rulebook bundle is $95. You might save a few bucks and get the EASLRB and spend $60 instead. Either path still means spending $200 or more on a system you have no idea that you will enjoy.

Meanwhile SK1 is $28 and has some pretty fun scenarios. If you enjoy it and know you want to jump right in, go ahead and pick up Beyond Valor and a Rulebook. Otherwise SK2 introduces artillery and anti tank guns. SK3 introduces vehicles and tanks. SK4 is the Pacific for some reason and I’ve never played it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

StarBegotten posted:

If youre avsolutely in love with the system and means of play, yeah, you dont have to follow through with SK2 or SK3, or SK4, but they are helpful in introducing the harder concepts or extraneous rules/actions.

SK4 for example brings in the Japanese who play completely differently from other nations, as well as concealment. Stuff like artillery makes a showing in SK2, iirc.

And if youre ever worried about investing first, look for some local asl groups (the UK should have quite a few players!) and play with them first. The community is, on the whole, welcoming to everyone.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Hekk posted:

There are a few rules simplifications in the starter kits but nothing that would make transitioning to the full rules overly difficult. .....[snip].... Otherwise SK2 introduces artillery and anti tank guns. SK3 introduces vehicles and tanks. SK4 is the Pacific for some reason and I’ve never played it.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If youre avsolutely in love with the system and means of play, yeah, you dont have to follow through with SK2 or SK3, or SK4 ....[snip].... The community is, on the whole, welcoming to everyone.

Cheers folks, thanks for the feedback.

I think I will go ahead and order SK #1, timed so that I get it on Friday and can then tinker around with it over the weekend :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

StarBegotten posted:

Cheers folks, thanks for the feedback.

I think I will go ahead and order SK #1, timed so that I get it on Friday and can then tinker around with it over the weekend :)

Nice! Don't be a stranger to the discord and/or VASL play.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Anyone have an opinion on a NATO reissue (besides it's being done by Compass)- fun? Interesting? Insightful? It's older and a reprint of a popular Victory Games title so it's probably going to have a lot of familiar mechanics that will make it easy to pick up and play.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/compassgames/nato-designer-signature-edition?ref=user_menu

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone tried Sebastian Bae's Littoral Commander? Other than the USMC using it, and looking cool, I'm hoping for some opinions before I drop $70.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Well my ASL Starter Kit #1 arrived today, going to tinker around with it tomorrow, wish me luck!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The completionist in me really wants to get SK #2 and #3 but they've been apparently out of stock on the entire European continent for the last couple years (that I've been looking, anyway).

...then again I could also not buy them considering I've never once played the two SK's I own, #1 and #4.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

StarBegotten posted:

Well my ASL Starter Kit #1 arrived today, going to tinker around with it tomorrow, wish me luck!

Nice! There is a fairly active ASL discord server if you haven’t found it yet. It’s got a bunch of euro time zone folks on it who might play on VASL if you are looking for opponents.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
This is what I have planned for the weekend.

Game is Third World War reprint from Compass Games. It's a pain in the rear end to set up since all combat units are unique so you need to find specific divisions to set up in a specific hexes. I guess that's what you get when you buy games with 2000 counters.

To learn the rules, I already tried the Arctic Front scenario that covers Norway with option to invade Sweden and Finland. The game system is cool but the scenario was pretty boring - Norway is just too small at this scale to make for an interesting standalone game, imo. Let's see how the game handles the full Central European mess, then.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The wife and I played Colonial Twilight last weekend. It was her first COIN game, but she grasped the rules pretty quickly. I'm impressed with how tight the design is. There weren't any points where we were out of the race, and very few times where we were "stuck" with decisions. Our first propaganda happened like three cards in, so we both ran out of money in the second campaign, but (as always) resources were the only limiting factor.

Now I've gotta get two other people to learn the COIN mechanics so we can get Cuba Libre to the table, eventually graduating to A Distant Plain.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I’ve recently been reading a lot about the Korean War and I’m looking for a game that explores it further. I don’t have a lot of experience with war games generally but in looking for games about this war it does seem like they are all from a specific, if tacit, political perspective. I’m guessing this is common in just about all war games but I haven’t played any where I’ve learned about a lot of the history associated with them. Are there any games about this war that don’t go quite so hardline on the us state department perspective of it?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

inferis posted:

I’ve recently been reading a lot about the Korean War and I’m looking for a game that explores it further. I don’t have a lot of experience with war games generally but in looking for games about this war it does seem like they are all from a specific, if tacit, political perspective. I’m guessing this is common in just about all war games but I haven’t played any where I’ve learned about a lot of the history associated with them. Are there any games about this war that don’t go quite so hardline on the us state department perspective of it?

Advanced Squad Leader

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

inferis posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9701/msh-game

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Obfuscation posted:

This is what I have planned for the weekend.

Game is Third World War reprint from Compass Games. It's a pain in the rear end to set up since all combat units are unique so you need to find specific divisions to set up in a specific hexes. I guess that's what you get when you buy games with 2000 counters.

Fortress Europa and The Longest Day had the same thing going on where you set up along specific ORBATs and it was time to go home by the time you got it set up.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Advanced Squad Leader

I have a few other modules to pick up first but this is definitely on my list. The Korean War module I mean.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

does anyone have a good, easy to follow walkthrough on how to set up a game online in Vassal? I cant find poo poo and im very stupid.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dr. Lunchables posted:

does anyone have a good, easy to follow walkthrough on how to set up a game online in Vassal? I cant find poo poo and im very stupid.

For what? If youre on discord in a goon server, trying pinging me and I could try to help you out

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Hekk posted:

I have a few other modules to pick up first but this is definitely on my list. The Korean War module I mean.

I looked at this one, what else would I need to buy in order to play it? It’s kind of hard to figure out what is what looking at the website. It says that it’s not a complete game by itself but it doesn’t specify.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

inferis posted:

I looked at this one, what else would I need to buy in order to play it? It’s kind of hard to figure out what is what looking at the website. It says that it’s not a complete game by itself but it doesn’t specify.

If you haven't spent much time with hex and counter war games ASL is very much jumping into the extreme deep end of the pool.

To play, you'd need ASL Pocket Bundle, Beyond Valor, and Forgotten War.

You will also need 8-10 Plano boxes or some other storage container to hold the several thousands of counters you'd need to punch and sort.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hekk posted:

If you haven't spent much time with hex and counter war games ASL is very much jumping into the extreme deep end of the pool.

To play, you'd need ASL Pocket Bundle, Beyond Valor, and Forgotten War.

You will also need 8-10 Plano boxes or some other storage container to hold the several thousands of counters you'd need to punch and sort.

If you want to play the physical version, yes. Otherwise you just need the rulebook (pocket or electronic) and Forgotten War, then play on VASL.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jobbo_Fett posted:

For what? If youre on discord in a goon server, trying pinging me and I could try to help you out

It was for Cuba Libre and A Distant Plain. I got a friend to help me out though and managed to walk through it myself. Thank you!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

inferis posted:

a lot of bells and whistles but https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69130/next-war-korea

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

inferis posted:

I don’t think any of the boxed games fit the bill. I’m phone posting and not home, but I don’t think any are even card-driven which might provide historical events.

There’s gotta be a magazine-based game that covers the war and provides background of different sorts. I’d be surprised if there wasn’t. Hit up BGG and search on Korean War games. The magazines should come up in the results.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

inferis posted:

Which perspective are you objecting to, if you don't mind?

Victory Games' Korean War - a strategic level game produced in the 80s - was quite good, emphasizing logistics and political ramifications of escalation.

If you play Bolt Action - tactical skirmish miniatures - their Korean War supplement is excellent, to the point that I'd call it the best in the line.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cessna posted:

If you play Bolt Action - tactical skirmish miniatures - their Korean War supplement is excellent, to the point that I'd call it the best in the line.
Too bad the miniatures are godawful.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ilor posted:

Too bad the miniatures are godawful.

I use "Battle of the Bulge" troops for US.

For their North Korean adversaries, they aren't great, to be sure, but they're serviceable with a little work. In person they aren't as bad as the ones painted for the Warlord website; that paint job really emphasizes their flaws. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of North Korean miniatures to choose from.

Edit: "Easy 8" Miniatures made a single squad of Korean War Chinese several years ago. Beyond that you're converting WWII Soviets in Telogriekas.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Fortress Europa and The Longest Day had the same thing going on where you set up along specific ORBATs and it was time to go home by the time you got it set up.

I remember me and Tek spending basically a whole day setting up The Blitzkrieg Legend.

We're both too anally retentive to use equivalent counters - no, if the 211. Infanterie Division sets up in this hex, we MUST find 211. Infanterie Division. If we use 212. Infanterie Division's counter instead, it'll totally destroy our immersion!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

inferis posted:

What's the State Department perspective?

I really enjoy OCS Korea. It's an excellent OCS game that is highly asymmetrical (A modern, mobile Army with all the bells and whistles and planes and poo poo vs some Chinese Footsloggers). It doesn't really do the politics - things such as Inchon/Chinese entry into the war are all about Territorial control - whoever controls more of the peninsula for the majority of the game wins.

quote:

a lot of bells and whistles but https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69130/next-war-korea
If you think this is a game about the Korean War, I've got a bridge to sell you.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

This is the book I was reading most recently that challenged some of the traditional narratives that the beginning of the Korean War was an unprovoked act of aggression by the north and that it took the south completely by surprise.

https://mronline.org/2021/07/23/penetrating-curtains-of-deceit-i-f-stones-the-hidden-history-of-the-korean-war/

I think I’ll try the victory/compass games one since it’s a lot lower investment than learning ASL.

inferis fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 27, 2022

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Compass Games just billed me for the Russian Campaign. This is the straight reprint of the 1974 game. GMT has supposedly been working a new version but it’s been stuck in limbo forever.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

inferis posted:

This is the book I was reading most recently that challenged some of the traditional narratives that the beginning of the Korean War was an unprovoked act of aggression by the north and that it took the south completely by surprise.

With absolutely no snark, no serious historian thinks that North Korea's invasion was completely unprovoked.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is there any timeline on Red Dust Rebellion? I P500'd it but my finances are super hosed right now and I don't want to get charged for it unexpectedly while I'm juggling household bills.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Latest GMT newsletter suggests its in final art awaiting a print spot. Couple of months I would guess, though I can't remember exactly when they charge your card.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

inferis posted:

https://mronline.org/2021/07/23/penetrating-curtains-of-deceit-i-f-stones-the-hidden-history-of-the-korean-war/

I think I’ll try the victory/compass games one since it’s a lot lower investment than learning ASL.

Look buddy, if you think the Korean War didn't start with Kim Il-Sung launching a full scale invasion of the South, I don't loving know what to tell you. You may as well be claiming the Poles attacked the Soviet Union in August 1939 and prompted Stalin to invade and conquer Eastern Poland.

I'm sure you can find some weird-rear end Ty Bomba game where the US invades the North, but I think even Ty Bomba has standards.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
not when it comes to haircuts

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

tomdidiot posted:

Look buddy, if you think the Korean War didn't start with Kim Il-Sung launching a full scale invasion of the South, I don't loving know what to tell you. You may as well be claiming the Poles attacked the Soviet Union in August 1939 and prompted Stalin to invade and conquer Eastern Poland.

The North attacked the South, that's not being disputed.

What IS being disputed is whether it was unprovoked or not. At this point there's little doubt that both North and South Korea were making raids across the border before the invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

A pic (taken from a FB group so sorry if this is you) of the board from Compass Game's Russian Campaign re-issue. First thing I noticed was in the original you could hole up in front of Berlin and all the Russian could do is hammer at you and this map eliminates that strategy by ending a little bit behind Berlin.

Only registered members can see post attachments!