Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I misread that and thought a teenager had been beaten by the cops, won a $50 million lawsuit, then became sheriff and for some reason was ultra draconian.

The decade's young, give it time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I misread that and thought a teenager had been beaten by the cops, won a $50 million lawsuit, then became sheriff and for some reason was ultra draconian.

Wouldn't be out of line for Texas - the current governor was injured in an accident, won a multimillion dollar settlement that set him up for life, then got into politics and limited the payouts from injury lawsuits.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
BREAKING NEWS: FORMER NAVY SEAL HAS A NOT HORRIBLE TAKE

https://twitter.com/DBarkhuff/status/1532751929599840256?t=6spVwNoSjULUtmuyGxF1Rg&s=19

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

All that training, and they still bad at their jobs.
His point is stupid.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
gently caress the SEALs. Let me hear from a unit that doesn't have deliberate blue on blue incidents.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I mean it’s not an entirely unreasonable since we can’t ban guns, we can’t do anything to address the underlying causes of alienation, we can’t find social services or mental health, and we can’t make cops do their jobs guess we may as well make teachers wear level 4 armor and 120 rounds of ammo for their M4 at all times and every kid a rifle plate in their backpack.

Regrettably we spent all the money to treat the sudden rise in back injuries on the cops newest mega-bearcat and 5 gen night vision goggles but we’ll give them some percs until they shut up.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

a good thread on some legal weirdness in California

https://twitter.com/ARMathieson/status/1532780834721103873

basically king poo poo of appellate practice in CA, Jon Eisenberg, did a bunch of math and figured out that the judges in one district court were illegally delaying criminal appeal cases. After an investigation by CA Judicial Council, three judges got forced out.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

You'd think someone would've suggested putting a fire escape door/ladder in every classroom by now, but I guess that's too expensive or in violation of local fire... safety... code?

Kids can't escape on their own, they might get hurt! :psyduck:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
https://thehill.com/news/house/3511...ming-after-you/

Louie Gohmert (R-TX-1) is outraged that a Republican can't commit a felony without being arrested for committing a felony. A direct quote:

"If you're a Republican, you can't even [commit a felony] or they're coming after you."

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

McNally posted:

https://thehill.com/news/house/3511...ming-after-you/

Louie Gohmert (R-TX-1) is outraged that a Republican can't commit a felony without being arrested for committing a felony. A direct quote:

"If you're a Republican, you can't even [commit a felony] or they're coming after you."

He really is America’s dumbest congressman. I grew up in his district and I’ll never go back.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arcella posted:

He really is America’s dumbest congressman. I grew up in his district and I’ll never go back.

Worse than MTG?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That SEAL commentary angers me beyond rational levels.

It's like being lectured on cooking by Jeffy Dahmer.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

bulletsponge13 posted:

I criticize the SEAL community as much as anyone (probably more), but really?

There's no single SEAL that is a good person? Not a single one? There's no SEAL that knows their poo poo and were squared away? And there's no way that any SEAL can be right on anything?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bulletsponge13 posted:

Who to consult when you're having a friend for dinner?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

You'd think someone would've suggested putting a fire escape door/ladder in every classroom by now, but I guess that's too expensive or in violation of local fire... safety... code?

Kids can't escape on their own, they might get hurt! :psyduck:

Not trying to be a dick but have you ever been inside a school before? Or any large building?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who to consult when you're having a friend for dinner?

:hmmyes:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

It's almost a good source in a roundabout way. If the most hoo-rah, overconfident pieces of poo poo around who see violence as the answer to everything are saying that introducing more firepower into a school is a bad idea, then you can be really, really sure it's a bad idea.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Plus rando idiots who don't know any better about SEALs, and hoo-rah fake tough "I was gonna join the military but X" guys whose entire personality is BRCC, souped up trucks, MAGA, and guns might see it coming from a SEAL and might listen. Worth a shot.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I guess we do gotta listen to the experts in merking unarmed adults and children

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/wilfredchan/status/1533062471845552129

When the Democratic-controlled Congress won’t even fight for something that’s as obviously beneficial and popular as this, it’s incredibly depressing.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Jesus loving Christ what the gently caress

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

When the Democratic-controlled Congress won’t even fight for something that’s as obviously beneficial and popular as this, it’s incredibly depressing.

A program that literally started because millions were ineligible for military service when we were taking anybody who could fog a mirror lol. I need another word; ghoulish is starting to lose its punch

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

A.o.D. posted:

Worse than MTG?

drat....

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

I criticize the SEAL community as much as anyone (probably more), but really?

There's no single SEAL that is a good person? Not a single one? There's no SEAL that knows their poo poo and were squared away? And there's no way that any SEAL can be right on anything?

Are there any good cops?

I don't give a gently caress if he is Jesus Reincarnated- he used SEAL as a qualifier, and it tarnishes the message. Unless he is giving advice on how to be an active shooter, it's him making an appeal to a false authority.

I'm not saying put more guns in schools, but him running down his resume while ignoring that half trained assholes do the same loving job is huffing his own farts. You don't need all that training to respond or act in an Active Shooter. His whole post just gives the police the out they need to not act but get more money.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

pantslesswithwolves posted:

its ok we can put that money towards Ukraine

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
if American children have to go hungry so we can send more weapons to Ukraine then I think that's a bargain and the fine folks of the MIC would agree. just kidding we can starve them and find money from other social programs to send more weapons

what a loving depressing piece of news what the gently caress is congress even loving doing

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 4, 2022

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

its ok we can put that money towards Ukraine

Optimist. It'll go towards tax cuts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

maffew buildings posted:

if American children have to go hungry so we can send more weapons to Ukraine then I think that's a bargain and the fine folks of the MIC would agree. just kidding we can starve them and find money from other social programs to send more weapons

what a loving depressing piece of news what the gently caress is congress even loving doing

More own stock in raytheon than whoever supplies school lunches

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

maffew buildings posted:

what the gently caress is congress even loving doing

Exactly what they're bought and sold to do, so....not feeding children.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

maffew buildings posted:

Gearing up to be the underdog again.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

There's underdog season and underdog pre-season.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
It's hard to remember why I ever thought a Biden presidency would be better than it has been, but hell 2 years of an actual lame duck presidency probably won't be much worse.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grip it and rip it posted:

It's hard to remember why I ever thought a Biden presidency would be better than it has been, but hell 2 years of an actual lame duck presidency probably won't be much worse.

Then you have the memory of a goldfish.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I mean it’s safe to assume that most SEALs are probably not great or at best very damaged but like if someone happens to be a SEAL and they’re right and don’t seem like a complete rear end in a top hat I’ll take their word on gunfights since that’s actually something they probably know about.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Biden is lucky in that he's had the lowest bar to clear in 160 years.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm not saying put more guns in schools, but him running down his resume while ignoring that half trained assholes do the same loving job is huffing his own farts. You don't need all that training to respond or act in an Active Shooter. His whole post just gives the police the out they need to not act but get more money.

His thread wasn't about why the police were not able to engage, his thread was about how arming teachers is a terrible idea because CQB is hard. That's a good point to make?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Grip it and rip it posted:

Careening toward a cliff at 60mph is less preferable to sort of meandering toward it at 15

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

His thread wasn't about why the police were not able to engage, his thread was about how arming teachers is a terrible idea because CQB is hard. That's a good point to make?

Sorry, I'm bitchy and hate the Seals. They were big fans of loving things up and leaving the mess for everyone else. Couldn't get past his enormous fart huffing of his ego to get to the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

M_Gargantua posted:

Careening toward a cliff at 60mph is less preferable to sort of meandering toward it at 15

More air= better than tho