Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
You need cops to keep the unwashed in line when you outsource their jobs overseas. You need cops to keep the minorities in line when you don't deliver on your promises of representation and equal rights for 60 years. You need cops when the disaffected show up on your doorstep and demand that you do the job you promised you'd do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What else are they going to do than shovel money at cops? Let progressive social movements succeed? They have their priorities.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

You need cops to keep the unwashed in line when you outsource their jobs overseas. You need cops to keep the minorities in line when you don't deliver on your promises of representation and equal rights for 60 years. You need cops when the disaffected show up on your doorstep and demand that you do the job you promised you'd do.

You need cops when people use washable chalk on the pavement

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I remember Michael Steele recounting about during his Lt. Governor run in MD they were throwing Oreo cookies at him.

https://nationalcenter.org/ncppr/2005/11/23/michael-steele-oreo-incident-eyewitness-report/

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

maffew buildings posted:

I'm so loving confused why the Democratic party loves cops so much when it literally gains them nothing. We need reform so goddamn bad. What the gently caress they didn't even try and open the door Jesus Christ

The Democratic Party loves cops because America loves cops. Support for defunding is piss poor. Support for other reforms are much higher, and a reform bill passed the House, but of course it doesn't matter since the Republicans are uniformly in opposition and it would take every single Democrat to both break the filibuster and pass the reform bill.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The Democratic Party loves cops because America loves cops. Support for defunding is piss poor. Support for other reforms are much higher, and a reform bill passed the House, but of course it doesn't matter since the Republicans are uniformly in opposition and it would take every single Democrat to both break the filibuster and pass the reform bill.

The amorphous polish of abolish police/defund police/reroute police probably animates votes under unified interest for Republicans who can claim to be fighting back against all three, but any Democrat who picks one of the above flavors of the platforms has betrayed the other two.

Edit: It may appear to be in the best interest for a candidate to not bring it up if there's any risk to their seat otherwise their other progressive policies will be risked.

Recent polling that I could find.

piL fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 19, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://www.reddit.com/r/JoeRogan/c...utm_name=iossmf

Pack it in we have found the issue

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahha

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1538339273044373506?t=TBOnWZzPo5xODf5TaEvgww&s=19

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Team colors is the only thing that matters to these people.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
They also formally rejected the 2020 election results. Gonna be fun to see what the national platform looks like in 2024.

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1538340574918582273?t=TRqW-RwG-LT4vbrK8w4a9g&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I would love to see Texas secede, but maybe only after an all-expenses paid get-the-gently caress-out-of-texas-and-into-somewhere-less-lovely package to all of the decent people stuck in that shithole.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Zamujasa posted:

I would love to see Texas secede, but maybe only after an all-expenses paid get-the-gently caress-out-of-texas-and-into-somewhere-less-lovely package to all of the decent people stuck in that shithole.

Best we can do is a permanent radioactive zone.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Democrats still represent capital first, and police protect capital.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A reminder that liberal does not mean left. Liberal refers to liberal economics, ie free market economics. Liberals are capitalists first - they just tend to hate minorities less than conservatives.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Which ends up being an academic at best and functionally worthless in practice difference. Upgrading from active hatred to solid indifference in the face of murderous social dynamics is pretty cold comfort to those on the receiving end of a purge.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

A reminder that liberal does not mean left. Liberal refers to liberal economics, ie free market economics. Liberals are capitalists first - they just tend to hate minorities less than conservatives.

I thought it referred to liberalism, and that's why those economics are referred to as liberal economics.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The last two times Texas seceded, it was so they could keep slaves. :whitewater:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
We need to raise the stakes on purging whites! That way there is something to draw conservatives to the table

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Example whatever of “just be polite to conservatives so they like you” being bullshit.

https://twitter.com/sewellchan/status/1538252905244917764?s=21&t=pUwqy3m0SJQ7nhLvGt7cDg

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

piL posted:

I thought it referred to liberalism, and that's why those economics are referred to as liberal economics.

It does, just like when we talk about "democracy" we mean liberal democracy and not "people vote like in ancient Greece or something."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
It kills me how many people refuse to take these assholes at their word.

This isn't bluster. This isn't posturing. They are writing out their plans for everyone to see.

If you are not a straight Christian conservative white male (or a white Christian woman being a helpmate to one) they are loving coming for you. Theres more of us than there are of them, but we need to be prepared for what's coming.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Don't worry Congress recognizes the coming tide and is prepared to protect all Americans

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2022/06/16/senators-tack-45b-onto-bidens-defense-budget-00040154

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mlmp08 posted:

Example whatever of “just be polite to conservatives so they like you” being bullshit.

https://twitter.com/sewellchan/status/1538252905244917764?s=21&t=pUwqy3m0SJQ7nhLvGt7cDg

When I lived in TX (up through 2011) the GOP state platform was still calling Homosexual relationships and marriage "an abomination". Afaik they softened on that a bit but looks like going back to extremism is playing up for the base.

Gotta get them up to speed bleeding out some smaller local groups of undesirables before spinning up towards larger purges of "illegals".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Boy howdy this is gonna be embarrassing when all these people complaining a little too much get caught toe tapping at the airport.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Larry Craig scandal is so quaint.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m happy the Log Cabin Republicans get to endure an even more transparent hatred from their colleagues as they continue to debase themselves in exchange for influence and profit.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Their Twitter up until that happened was all moral outrage over trans people and neo-pronouns, so that more or less answers why they are still playing along

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’m happy the Log Cabin Republicans get to endure an even more transparent hatred from their colleagues as they continue to debase themselves in exchange for influence and profit.

From their Twitter, it looks like they’re trying hard to throw trans folks under the bus to show that they’re the good ones. It’s not going to work, that kind of poo poo never works, but it shows exactly what their morals and commitment to inclusivity really means. gently caress em. They deserve whatever comes next.*

*im not sure I actually mean that because I think it’s not very long until it’s physically unsafe for them to be at a GOP convention, and while these guys are shitheads I can’t actually feel okay with hate crimes.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Notahippie posted:

From their Twitter, it looks like they’re trying hard to throw trans folks under the bus to show that they’re the good ones. It’s not going to work, that kind of poo poo never works, but it shows exactly what their morals and commitment to inclusivity really means. gently caress em. They deserve whatever comes next.*

*im not sure I actually mean that because I think it’s not very long until it’s physically unsafe for them to be at a GOP convention, and while these guys are shitheads I can’t actually feel okay with hate crimes.

When you're an active and willing participant in furthering the agenda of leopards eating faces you deserve to get your face ate first if it was gonna happen at all. It's not as if anyone is forcing people in the LGBT+ community to support the republican party against their will.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/Lubchansky/status/1538545023104466944?t=8dZRqRxOq7NjDla6ej9dvw&s=19

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

But hey, now we get "Texas was lovely to people" as a national holiday!

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1538601965009125378?t=LIQLRQ-NBlsePYtrWlj9ZA&s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I would like to see the venn diagram of texas republicans that hate ted cruz but also love their guns. I'm sure a solution can be found in the middle somewhere.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Just really sick how these inconsiderate small minorities trying to exist are getting in the way of our thriving democracy and civil rights legacy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Surprising amount of broken clock in that tweet, not all of course, but surprising nonetheless.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
As much as I love the idea of them tearing themselves to pieces, it inevitably ends up with the shredded bits spiraling further into the vortex and coalescing into something even worse.

Cruz is a marshmallow, he will simply debase himself further in order to stay in office.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ted Cruz is the right wing version who Clinton wishes she was, despite negative l charisma the dude has effortlessly absorbed a surprisingly high combination of support from both the rights radical activists and the big money donors by virtue of just being completely soulless follower of his parties trends.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Even among conservatives I know here in Texas, few will admit to liking Ted Cruz.

Yet he continues to be re-elected. If there's anything he's good at, it's playing to the lunatic fringe in ways that make him look just grown-up enough that the suburbs will continue voting straight-ticket R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

dems are gonna lose the next election and look at themselves and go "we gotta get more bigoted" (and racist)

[unprintable]