Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just never got into supernova the East because while I enjoy Carlin to a point, there is nothing I want to hear less than a History Dad talk about World War II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I enjoyed it.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Flubby posted:

Woolie brought it up on the podcast that some people were getting frustrated at him talking after every dialogue line is Mass Effect 2 and I'm getting there myself. It wasn't so bad with Reggie at the wheel because he'll keep it moving, but having a conversation after every click of the dialogue wheel is slowing things to such a crawl. I just got done watching Mordin's loyalty mission on twitch and it's probably going to be two youtube episodes in itself. It was......so........slow. Quality if you want to watch Mordin and Shepard blink at each other, though.

That's part of why I actually liked Reggie on the wheel so much, as crazy as some of his choices were he kept things going and stopped to talk about it after the conversation had hit a more natural break point. Woolie is terrible with, comically so in fact, walking and talking like so many games force upon you cause he just has to sit and process after everything and often can't keep a conversation going as he walks forward.

Is kind of why I'm behind on ME2, even though I loved the ME1 playthrough.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It's a pretty fun playthrough but I just go get a drink when he talks to Joker, the two Engineers or Dr Chakwas for the 50th time only to be surprised they have nothing new to say.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I love that basically space mengele says "Look I had to reup the genocide disease. It was either that or we'd HAVE to kill them all. Here's some numbers that prove my point" and Woolie at no point ever stopped to think maybe this guy's framing is formed from some biased ideas.

Nope clearly he's smart at one thing so he's guaranteed right all the time lol

It’s genuinely frustrating because you can dress literally anything up in a logical shell and use it as justification to do monstrous acts. The justification in the krogan genophage and the atomic bomb both basically assume the victims have no agency. They are framing a complex thing like there’s literally only two answers.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ME2 is longer than ME1 definitely but from the sounds of this thread it's gonna be 2x the runtime as ME1 lol

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
The game should really have pulled out some of the casualty figures of the Krogan Rebellion, which is supposedly in the hundreds of billions. The Council Races were literally looking at extinction or complete subjugation, but all of the in-game dialogue made it sound like The Rebellion was just a simple war and that the Genophage was anything but a last-ditch choice for survival.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pennsylvanian posted:

The game should really have pulled out some of the casualty figures of the Krogan Rebellion, which is supposedly in the hundreds of billions. The Council Races were literally looking at extinction or complete subjugation, but all of the in-game dialogue made it sound like The Rebellion was just a simple war and that the Genophage was anything but a last-ditch choice for survival.
Except this isn't just a moral quandary regarding the initial genophage deployment, but Mordin renewing it when it was gradually being overcome.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

beep by grandpa posted:

ME2 is longer than ME1 definitely but from the sounds of this thread it's gonna be 2x the runtime as ME1 lol

Because Woolie is playing it instead of Reggie who, despite the memes of roulette morality, still makes decisions in a fraction of Woolie time

The man made ff6 and KOTOR 1 a hundred hours

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Pennsylvanian posted:

Yeah, there's a BIG disconnect between what the Codex says and how the characters in the game talk about it. Every Krogan you meet is all doom and gloom about how they're a dying species. But based on the Codex, Krogan lay big clutches of eggs, up to a thousand a year. The Genophage reduces fertility to one in a thousand, so now the average Krogan birth rate is one per year.

If you ignore what the Codex says about Krogan biology and how they were throwing asteroids at Council planets during the Rebellion and all that then yeah the Genophage comes across as something the STG came up with because they were just in a particularly genocidey mood that day, but if you read the Codex then suddenly all the Krogan moping about how they're a dying species comes across as "Boo hoo we're all dying out now because we ONLY have the same birth rate as humans". It feels like the dialogue writers and the Codex writers were just on two completely different pages when it comes to the actual details.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

One per year is brutal for krogans for sociological reasons, as well as the environment of tuchanka

Also, even if it were still replacement rate, That would not make it not a genocide

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Krogan mortality rates are extremely high even into adulthood because of their lust for combat. Old Krogan exist but they're the exception, not the norm. And the cultural impact of seeing mountains of stillborn children took an immense toll on their psyche. Even if the Salarians justify it as a population adjustment rather than a genocide, it still is a genocide because the sociological impact it has on the Krogan species was never accounted for. It basically put them on a death spiral of hopelessness.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
This and the salarians reasoning is getting close to space phrenology.

'You see the brain pan of the average krogan is so triangular that it inherently drives then to suicidal violence so we had to sterilize them after using them as shock troopers for our goals. For their own good you see.'

Moridin then comes in with 'My predecessors were correct. We cannot trust the krogan people to integrate into polite society even after hundreds of years of development and integration. We have to reup the genocide virus to ensure they don't kill themselves off or force our hand, as we are the good stewards of the other races.'

All eugenics are bad.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 8, 2022

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Congratulations, Pat.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Moose King posted:

Yeah, there's a BIG disconnect between what the Codex says and how the characters in the game talk about it. Every Krogan you meet is all doom and gloom about how they're a dying species. But based on the Codex, Krogan lay big clutches of eggs, up to a thousand a year. The Genophage reduces fertility to one in a thousand, so now the average Krogan birth rate is one per year.

If you ignore what the Codex says about Krogan biology and how they were throwing asteroids at Council planets during the Rebellion and all that then yeah the Genophage comes across as something the STG came up with because they were just in a particularly genocidey mood that day, but if you read the Codex then suddenly all the Krogan moping about how they're a dying species comes across as "Boo hoo we're all dying out now because we ONLY have the same birth rate as humans". It feels like the dialogue writers and the Codex writers were just on two completely different pages when it comes to the actual details.

But the difference is that one in every 1,000 Krogan makes it to birth. Not fertilizaiton- birth. The rest are stillborn. That's actually loving nightmarish and is only handled in maybe three(?) or four lines of dialogue throughout the series. I didn't even realize it until that one Blood Pack guy talks about the piles of unborn Krogan children. I think they wanted to get rid of these details to make it more of allegorical (God, that word is tainted to me after The Sopranos) to real-life debates, but the context of the stakes of the Rebellion and the more ground-level implications of The Genophage in the game world's debate is extremely important.

It still is a really interesting thing to talk about, but the context all needs to be there, and while the context is in the Codex, it feels like the characters really should be talking about these parts of the history. I think a lot of Mass Effect's great worldbuilding and story points are hindered by the binary Paragon/Renegade system and its obsession with you potentially killing off important characters that could contribute later on in the story.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

RuBisCO posted:

Congratulations, Pat.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

RuBisCO posted:

Congratulations, Pat.

The Queen dying live on his stream will be a day to remember.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is it clipped or something?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Geif also hated the Queen

https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1567945293622317057

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pat, did you seriously turn archives off for The funniest stream of your career

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Pennsylvanian posted:

Then maybe the council races shouldn’t have “elevated” them to be their personal goon squad in the first place.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i had a really disastrous series of mass effect games, leading to mordin being alive at the end of me3 and yet,

Moose King posted:

i still think you dont gotta post genophage apologia, christ come on

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I literally just spent an hour and a half reading and listening to codex entries in Mass Effect 1. The genophage emphatically does not affect fertility or virility. It specifically affects the infant mortality rate. A female will still bear a massive clutch of eggs and thousands of those eggs will be stillborn. The social ramifications of seeing thousands of dead babies every time they try to give birth is horrific.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I like how immediately it becomes apparent in the krogan podcast video that Woolie completely forgot what Mordin's role and dilemma actually was and just superimposed the original genophage choice on top of everything happening in the present

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Truly only Woolie can logic puzzle himself into "the cure will cause more krogen genocide in the future"

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Is there sufficient information about the Krogan Rebellions in ME1 and early ME2 that Woolie should have understood the scope of it, or is that mainly from books or other supplemental sources?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's all there in the games.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Opening of stream 7 is just the Apologia Hour

Sorry Eve!

E:
I think the genuine worst thing about Woolie is that he repeatedly acknowledges on stream and on the podcast that everyone hates to stop and talk and yet he never ever stops doing it.

If you acknowledge and understand your entire audience hates it when you do this thing, you need to stop doing it.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 9, 2022

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Rody One Half posted:

If you acknowledge and understand your entire audience hates it when you do this thing, you need to stop doing it.
That may be, but I think you'll find that once I explain everything in ramblingly excruciating detail wait where are you going

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

He's not wrong that mass effect really abuses the concept of millions of years though

The amount of time the cycle is supposed to have been going is absurd

But scifi and fantasy writers have never had even the slightest concept of scale

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's following the tradition of Star Trek. A global disaster of unimaginable proportions! Hundreds of people have died!

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I honestly never got to the end of Supernova in the East and it pretty much ended my listening of Hardcore History. I just saw some complaints from people when that episode dropped. I thought the first part from the Japanese perspective was pretty cool, but I lost all interest in it the second part where he would just go on these long 20 minute old man tangents about how bad rear end and tough US marines were.

The ww2 us marines were badasses

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Tae posted:

Truly only Woolie can logic puzzle himself into "the cure will cause more krogen genocide in the future"

He didn't get the memo that the Krogan weren't innocent victims but a rapidly growing out of control super empire who were demolishing planets and loving everything up.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Just taking a moment to appreciate that despite being a Weird Goblin, Pat has some real integrity and puts thought into his morality without going Logic Mode on it.

It's a shame that he's eventually going to turn into an immortal toilet, but nobody's perfect.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

He didn't get the memo that the Krogan weren't innocent victims but a rapidly growing out of control super empire who were demolishing planets and loving everything up.

He did understand that, his issue entirely wad that wrex was mentioned once and that somehow logic puzzled for him that wrex wanted the cure destroyed.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

studio mujahideen posted:

i had a really disastrous series of mass effect games, leading to mordin being alive at the end of me3 and yet,

i still think you dont gotta post genophage apologia, christ come on

Not apologizing for the Genophage, it was an absolutely horrible thing, I was just saying the dialogue in the game and the info in the Codex didn't feel like it meshed together well. Having actually listened to Woolie and Pat talk about it now, I had missed the detail that the Salarians making the original Genophage hosed up their numbers and the 1:1000 rate is actually way UNDER replacement rate, so the Krogan are still in fact dying out. That's my bad.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

You say miscalculated I say the idiots that gave them the space tech to be their shock troopers and are big onto eugenics might have not been 100% altruistic in their genocide virus design.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the krogans should have been allowed to conquer the galaxy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They should have let the Krogan colonize the rachni worlds and then destroyed the primary relay behind them and booby trapping any other primary relay they find in case the Krogan hopscotch their way back to council space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

They should have let the Krogan colonize the rachni worlds and then destroyed the primary relay behind them and booby trapping any other primary relay they find in case the Krogan hopscotch their way back to council space.

This was the Asari idea for how to kill all the krogan.