Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I wouldn't say Alisa is 'canon' or more 'valid' than anyone else. If she was then there wouldn't be any options in the first place and even up to Reverie you can choose which girl is Rean's 'canon' LI. You can have close friends who are also girls, and that's what a non-romance Rean/Alisa become

Personally, I found Rean/Laura to have a lot more resonance with me, they're the main LI while Rean and Alisa are best platonic buds that Sharon likes to tease Alisa about, but what I think Stabbey was getting at is that Rean (and even Lloyd) have more defined characters compared to the Persona 3,4,5 protags such that if Rean goes down the Alisa, Laura, Emma, or secret Linde paths the story is still going to be strong. Just that each romance touches on a different aspect of Rean: his selflessness with Alisa, his swordsmanship with Laura, and his role as an Awakener with Emma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Oh yeah I guess you can now look at things about the Cold Steel anime since the spoiler of the Rean Bean Machine is now over.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Delphisage posted:

That explains why there's a love interest at all, but not why there's a conflicting design of "MC and love interest" with "MC and giant bisexual harem". I don't want to default to the cynical "Falcom is lazy and tried to overlap their formula onto Atlus's more profitable formula without caring if they'd conflict", but I will if I'm not met with a sufficiently appealing alternative.

Easy; replayability.

Sky SC actually played around with a similar idea when you choose to bring Schera or Agate with you by default.
The theory goes that providing minor story variation via player input to an otherwise pretty fixed narrative makes people want to experience it again, and doing that will make them more likely to care about the series going forward. The romantic choices require a lot less work than storyline divergences (and may be more inherently interesting to a player as well), especially since they're pulling double duty as optional characterization scenes too.

There's also an argument (which I don't agree with, but I'm listing it anyway) that allowing the player to control anything about their avatar to express themselves, even if its a very limited choice like a specific romantic path, will make players relate to them more closely than a purely kinetic character on whom the player has no input. This is basically the same argument that blank-slate protagonists rely on, just scaled back a bit.

The other context to this is that Dating Simulators are a pretty big deal in Japan, and dating similar-like systems (as in Persona et al) are pretty popular even out in the west, where the genre is usually considered a joke at best. Presumably the argument is that incorporating elements diversifies the game's general appeal, even if it messes with the story in other ways. In the case of Cold Steel specifically, the setting --basically a high school-- probably would set some dating sim expectations given the success of Persona, so I somewhat understand the decision from a business angle even if I disagree on an artistic level.

Presumably the reason that we still get Main Girl!Alisa is because there is an inherent tension to the story as written and this particular story system, and the Falcom powers that be just didn't consider the grating against eachother to be enough of a problem they have to care about it. Story purists can pick Alisa, other people can pick their favorite waifu, and at the end of the day they can do some vague handwaving to reset the relationships as they like between games.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Classy Hydra posted:

Story purists can pick Alisa, other people can pick their favorite waifu, and at the end of the day they can do some vague handwaving to reset the relationships as they like between games.

Although in CS3 and 4 that leads to more problems both ways; going with Laura in CS1 and the excellent callbacks and story reactivity in 2, it was a little frustrating that both times in 3 and 4 the story acts like Rean and Laura being a couple never happened. And for those who chose Alisa, it leads to a terrible variation of a bonding event explicitly to clear the field for the player to choose another girl.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SgtSteel91 posted:

Although in CS3 and 4 that leads to more problems both ways; going with Laura in CS1 and the excellent callbacks and story reactivity in 2, it was a little frustrating that both times in 3 and 4 the story acts like Rean and Laura being a couple never happened. And for those who chose Alisa, it leads to a terrible variation of a bonding event explicitly to clear the field for the player to choose another girl.

I didn't actually think that was terrible, given the context. I think that part of the arc actually works well overall for those who were inclined towards Alisa (or for those who had sympathy towards her).

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Are there any games or anime that manage to have more stuff like Joshua and Kloe's resolution of their relationship in 3rd? I love shipping, but hate Spurned Women's Clubs.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Cold Steel 4 kind of does that? Each LI basically confesses their love to Rean, but it's sort of in the Kloe way where they wanted to get it off their chest before the end and don't really expect Rean to reciprocate

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Finally caught up on videos. Not a whole lot of notes.

-Was hoping limiter off Duvalie would get more of a reaction out of you. That sound effect is so good, and probably needs to be used elsewhere at some point.

-Or at least McBurn punching a hole in reality. This scene does a lot to put McBurn over as absolutely insane, power wise. Even his "Get your divine knight in here!" comes off as him being a real big deal. It's already clear he gives no shits about Ouroboros. This would have directly ruined Vita's plan.

-Most comments regarding dead people: "It's funny you should say that". No further elaboration on my end.

-Alisa's tearful little "Okay... Okay" at Crow is my favorite (non comedy) line read in the game. I have seen people make deathbed promises, and that is exactly what they sound like. Especially for the kind of thing she was talking about.

-Grianos got hosed in a casual and callous way that very few things in this series do. It wasn't a person, but the elegant brutality here really sells Rufus as villainous even before the reveal.

-For two consecutive games, Millium figures out an enormous reveal before everyone else does, but too late to do anything about it. Millium is really smart, comparatively. What do you suppose would happen if this pattern of being step ahead of the party holds and she managed to figure it out in time to act? It'd have to be a good thing, right? Keep up the good work, Millium

-I know you can say the lyrics of the song seem to reference Alisa, but the context and video is entirely about Crow. Their relationship is weirdly more romantic than most of the girls.

-I'm blown away at how lovingly Crossbell was recreated. This isn't a spoiler, you'll see it within the first 10 minutes of Zero.

-Claire reaches for Rean here not out of love or a crush, but out of approval. She correctly sees Rean as a giant of human compassion. Losing his approval is devastating to her. Claire is a good character. She's a weak person. You want to see her as virtuous and heroic, because of her cool intro and "icy" exterior, but she's just not. She wants to be a better person than she actually is. It kinda sucks that her walls are built up so only Osborne can get close to her.

That's it. Anything else for now is trivial.

Edit
One more comment:
I'm pretty Ok with class VII recreating the whole "scary old tree" thing with getting saved constantly. A lot of people don't because it's the end of the game, but it's not the story being told here. You're being rescued because you are still behind all of your opponents. You only get a decisive win when it's absolutely necessary. This is still stronger than when you were in CS1.

The extra chapter helps (moreso if you played Zero and Azure) with getting this continual growth across. Rean gets the drop on Rixia. That would have been unthinkable at the start of this game.

At any rate, I like that you're never the strong one. I like that you get by because of someone else saving you. I just wish it wasn't so repetitive or if there would at least be a new statement other than "That won't be necessary!" Whatever samey phrase that is in Japanese has got to be way cooler than in English.

Finally, the real heartbreak here is, as crazy/stupid as the "get Crow back" plan was, and the whole "we're a third faction" bit.... The fact of the matter is that Class VII very nearly pulled it off and only Deus ex Machina stopped them. They were, in the end, beaten by the side they were "allied" with. No one grocks that and it drives me bananas.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 5, 2022

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Veryslightlymad posted:

-Was hoping limiter off Duvalie would get more of a reaction out of you. That sound effect is so good, and probably needs to be used elsewhere at some point.

-Or at least McBurn punching a hole in reality. This scene does a lot to put McBurn over as absolutely insane, power wise. Even his "Get your divine knight in here!" comes off as him being a real big deal. It's already clear he gives no shits about Ouroboros. This would have directly ruined Vita's plan.
FWIW these two are great moments. It's just that they've been telling us for ages "Oh, Duvalie is only not an Anguis because she's not goth enough, it ain't power level", and McBurn is a giant mystery as-is what with "hey, you, you mixed?" still being... kinda unexplained! Clearly that is a word that means "badass" in some tongue on this continent.

Veryslightlymad posted:

-Grianos got hosed in a casual and callous way that very few things in this series do. It wasn't a person, but the elegant brutality here really sells Rufus as villainous even before the reveal.
I'm still shocked by this one! I don't know if the Vita/Grianos relationship was akin to Emma/Celine, but if it was even half as deep, that's hosed! That was the most casual murder we've seen in this whole series!

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm pretty Ok with class VII recreating the whole "scary old tree" thing with getting saved constantly.

"Scary old tree"?

Also, of course Rean sneaks up on Rixia. Rixia's the PC in this scenario and Rean's the NPC, and PCs are never stronger than NPCs in Kiseki.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Delphisage posted:

"Scary old tree"?

Also, of course Rean sneaks up on Rixia. Rixia's the PC in this scenario and Rean's the NPC, and PCs are never stronger than NPCs in Kiseki.

I made a mistake. There was a Berenstain Bears book called The Berenstain Bears and the Scary Old Tree where all the kids had a piece of adventuring gear that got lost as they faced one trial after another, and then they had the shivers and could no longer help. I used it in error here, because I got which insanely specific reference I use to describe things mixed with Trails of Cold Steel 3. The reference makes more sense on the correct game.

So it was a bad reference. And now I am frustrated I can't think of the reference I actually wanted to use here.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 5, 2022

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

276. Lakelord Superstar

It's Class VII's finultimate free day, and Rean is out having a spectabulous time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

And what's THIS happy horseshit?

ordinary fishermen might gently caress; Narses is fuckulently clitorical

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 8, 2022

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
We have all these assets and mechanics still sitting in the engine from CS1, what do you expect us to do, NOT use them?

I'm almost shocked they don't make you study for a final exam or something.

(The swimming minigame is also in Tokyo Xanadu, did you miss it somehow?)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ Somewhat inaccurate on what is meant by Palatinate, from what I can tell. Or rather, it misses some of the nuance that after playing four games I can safely say Falcom definitely intended. Yes, Palatinate refers to a count palatine, but what a count palatine actually is is essentially a super count. They have authority that otherwise only would ordinarily only belong to a sovereign. Very literally, someone "of the palace". To put all that together, what is meant is, "someone given all the authority of a king, but not the literal king." The Palatinate Knight has a type.

~ Eh. That's my main comment here. Uh, I wanted at least two, so... "Keep on truckin' "

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Palatinate is also used as a very rare colour descriptor for a certain shade of purple. Mainly used by the Durham region, apparently.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

(The swimming minigame is also in Tokyo Xanadu, did you miss it somehow?)

Probably. The one place I skimped in my playthrough was the minigames.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Black Records Decoded
- It's unclear if the knights are supposed to match up with the seven elements in the Trails universe and their color. You could go either way on that.
- It was not Roland Osborne, it's... you know what, it's not a plot twist, nor is it treated as a secret in future games, so I'll go ahead and say it. It's Roland Vander. Hence why the Vander family still has ties with the Arnor family to this day.
- It's been a while since I read this, and now that I'm paying more attention I have thoughts I didn't have before.
-- Wow, sitting around for five years while a civil war is raging?
-- A starting army of under 20? With all the tales of Drichel's Nord Warriors, I would have thought it was a larger force.
-- I guess the Lance Maiden was slowly building her own army during that time but hadn't decided what to do with it?
-- He only got his knight after the other robot powered up? So he had even less experience than Rean did.
-- It is amazing how little information gets revealed. They're still holding out on quite a bit.
- I don't think it gets explained how the one guy upgraded his knight to apocalypse status and made the Infernal Castle.

Free Day
- Bonding points wouldn't make sense, it's past the choice where the strongest bond was chosen. All this does is help get combat bonuses for higher link levels.
- Rean gets up at 5 AM every day, and everyone is out of the dorm already. What does he do with all that time? How have I never noticed that until now?
- You could always enter Rean's dorm room on free days and before leaving Trista on field studies, because something else is the plot-advancing trigger. Act 1 of CS 2 were the free days which ended upon returning to Rean's room.
- Re: Horse Racing - (CS 3)There is some good amount of animation in horse racing. I'd say it gets a pass.
- I really dislike what they did with CS 4 Margarita. It's a real WTF thing which breaks immersion by going into "Saturday Morning Children's Cartoon" territory for a bizarre cheap laugh.
- Fred's probably talking about gambling on horses. I think I remember that one time he mentioned winning (probably CS 1 Chapter 4), and Dolly made him spend his winnings on buying customers free food/drinks.
- Oh boy, I'm not gonna unpack Cedric.

- "Junk Wanted" gives you dots to follow. And really, "heavy thing as a result of club work" eliminates most of the clubs. There's the Riding Club, the Lacrosse Club, the Swimming Club, the Motorcycle Club, the Upper/Lower Chess Club, the Fencing Club, the Wind Orchestra, and the Art Club. Not a lot of those would have heavy thing as a result of club work which could also be sold at a flea market.

- In my playthrough, I picked Gaius for the swimming duel because I figured he'd be the toughest challenge. I would have picked Laura for the second one for the same reason if it wasn't phrased as "Admire X", so I picked Alisa.
- I think the game of tag was played in the pool, not running around outside it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If you're wondering, Rean's internal monologue for the girls is pretty different for each girl, as are the small conversations between all of them, and in some cases, who notices Rean checking them out. Alisa is almost certainly the blandest of these options, which is strange, because the two of them together is usually kinda awkward.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- I think the game of tag was played in the pool, not running around outside it.

Neithardt definitely participated in full military regalia

and won

he's just that good

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Classy Hydra posted:

Neithardt definitely participated in full military regalia

and won

he's just that good

Jusis: What are you on about now? That's ludicrous. You can't win at tag. The very concept makes no sense. Tag is a game without win conditions.

Machias: Will you just drop it? He won, all right? He... he won.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess the next time we see Margarita she's lost weight, everyone is astounded by how attractive she is, and she subsequently ends up engaged to Vincent.

Why yes I have seen any Japanese media involving an overweight character ever, why do you ask?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sindai posted:

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess the next time we see Margarita she's lost weight, everyone is astounded by how attractive she is, and she subsequently ends up engaged to Vincent.

Why yes I have seen any Japanese media involving an overweight character ever, why do you ask?

it's worse

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Hwurmp posted:

it's worse

She's secretly been an evil spy for the bad guys and has a power level higher than all of the Coldsteel PCs combined? And then she ends up forgiven anyways because reasons?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Regarding the "you're not gonna elaborate on that"-part of Millium's evening talk, they do say the quiet part out loud if you picked her as your final bonding partner. If you did, she casually mentions she's a homunculus, rather than a human. You should be able to view that scene from the extra menu after beating the game. (assuming you flagged her by saving the game after watching her final bonding event after Trista's liberation)

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Erpy posted:

she casually mentions she's a homunculus, rather than a human.

Okay, now I'm certain that Fate Stay Night was a big part of this franchise's inspiration.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

277. 1v7

Look, if *they're* allowed to bring their maids and butlers to the duel, we should be too.

seriously though, why did Toval sound so sinister here

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ I always got the impression that the "Zero Artisan" Toval has a sadistic streak. I think it's because he's sick of people forgetting who he is.

~ In the Strongest in the Academy event, or whatever the hell it's called, there's a crazy amount of optional text, basically for switching around your characters at different times. Almost none of it is very interesting or fun, but if you take Machias to... uh... either the first or the second fight, when he's done with the second fight, he'll get rattled and ask "How many super powered maids are at this school?" He also has one of the better lines for calling Rean out for doing this kind of crap during his free day if you invite him to the second event. When Beatrix states that she doesn't really have a choice, he'll yell "YOU HAVE EVERY CHOICE!". If you invite him third, he'll tell you not to bother telling him how you got into this situation; he doesn't want to know. Millium, on the other hand, will as how they got into the situation. Elliot, if invited third, will say "OK, so this is... insane." Fie will call Beatrix childish, which is kind of fun. Jusis has maybe the best line for being invited third, because he'll say something along the lines of "I really didn't know what I expected when you called me, but it certainly wasn't this." And I just love the implications there. "HEY JUSIS, COME ON DOWN TO THE FIELD. THERE'S A SURPRISE WAITING!" Poor Jusis.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

- "How has there never been a famous writer from this academy?" Remember that this is a military school first, and there are definitely richer schools in the capital. St Astraea's, for instance.
- Arts Support can in fact pop infinite times.
- Imagine if Beatrice were allowed to use her super heal in battle.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
So how the phantasmal mirrors work is that they completely change the character, equipment, master quartz, quartz loadout and all. And that's not necessarily a bad thing because one of those equipment pieces is another ice crown (all phantasmal character regenerate 10 CP per battle turn, so you can keep spamming their crafts and S-crafts) and Vita at least has the Lost Eden art. She also has the Aeris master quartz and sky-high ATS, meaning that it's quite possible that if you cast Lost Eden on a group of enemies, she'll absorb all 2000 (!) EP right back. The arts list for all phantasmal characters is fixed and cannot be changed. They're all fairly overpowered, but static.

And no, Altina's not actually a preview of Cold Steel III, she just has the crafts from her boss fights. Cold Steel III significantly alters the craft lists, partially due to the fact that most buffs become part of the new Brave Orders system, so those crafts are lost and Rean and Altina have an almost entirely new set of crafts while many crafts of the current cast get merged. (so if a character has an impeding attack and a line attack in Cold Steel II, Cold Steel III gives them one craft that's a line attack that impedes)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Claire isn't really evil, just an enabler of evil. That's not MUCH better, but it is technically better.
- The music for the final dungeons of CS 3 and 4 is really good. CS 1's music was "To Grasp Tomorrow", I don't remember the name either offhand.
- The two mandatory quests are 1 (+1) each, so missing out on the highest rank was entirely possible if you flubbed both.
- Angelica is fast enough to make the race at least a little challenging, but you can catch up even behind from the first half, you just had a bit of wobbling back and forth which cost you precious seconds.
- Instructor Thomas is voiced by Talesin Jaffe, who can actually do a very good crow cawing noise.
- I chose Alisa for the first round of "Class Warfare" as a challenge because in the first fight in CS 1, Patrick didn't allow girls in the battle, and of the girls, Alisa is probably the least powerful in direct combat. I wanted to beat Patrick with the most challenging team. I was pleasantly surprised how well natural that ended up feeling for the second battle when Ferris joined, as if she watched Alisa get summoned over, then decided to jump in for the next fight.
- The Double Max HP Lost Art - Artemis's Tears - is really fantastic in this fight, especially on higher difficulties.
- Yeah, don't feel bad about using heals in these battles, the AI sure doesn't! Thankfully, they don't have S-Breaks.

- secretly best girl: *maniacal laughter* - Yeah, Angel level 5 is really good.
- Yeah, I think that "gramps" is just an affectionate question-mark name. They're definitely not related for obvious reasons.

- Witches and Gnomes are not a Crossbell thing. Crossbell has its own things.
- Gnomes and Witches are names of specific groups of people, but (appearances of Witches or Gnomes) they do just seem to be people, indistinguishable from any standard human. I'm going to leave it at that.
- I don't know what "the first to be born and the last to stand" means either.
- This is not NG+ stuff, it always happens.
- "When you have to do six cross-fades, the party is too big." BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You ain't seen nuthin' yet.

- I was not that enthusiastic about this dungeon. I spent too much time screwing around with different party combinations, and it burned me out. I feel this dungeon is better done by speeding through with a strong Class VII team until the end, and then playing around.
- Crow's level-up quote is "The only way is forward."
- I think the drop rate for Sepith Masses is generous in the Reverie corridor. Also, you can sell off Sepith if you have no more slots to unlock, and that's a lot of mira there.
- "I guess this'll be a preview of Cold Steel 3." "Probably. It'll be real weird if they just change up all her skills." - (CS 3) They change up pretty much everyone's skills. Altina probably less so.

Erpy posted:

And no, Altina's not actually a preview of Cold Steel III, she just has the crafts from her boss fights. Cold Steel III significantly alters the craft lists, partially due to the fact that most buffs become part of the new Brave Orders system, so those crafts are lost and Rean and Altina have an almost entirely new set of crafts while many crafts of the current cast get merged. (so if a character has an impeding attack and a line attack in Cold Steel II, Cold Steel III gives them one craft that's a line attack that impedes)

Yeah, for example, Alisa's Flamberge gets changed from single-target Impede and burn to a line impede and burn, and it changes from physical-type to magic type (like Mirage arrow was), so she does more damage with it due to her better ATS than STR (probably). There are downsides to the changes as well.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 17, 2022

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
This is why I dropped the series. They spent about 120 hours undercutting all the player's efforts, and your reward for it all is to go through a goddamn zero-plot procgen dungeon with two dozen playable characters to finally get a Clear Data save. That's just too little player respect for me to handle. I didn't even bother with this dungeon - I just did the last Sharon sidequest, watched the ending on Youtube, and uninstalled the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm sad that Vandyck and Beatrix weren't voiced

they deserve voices

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Hwurmp posted:

I'm sad that Vandyck and Beatrix weren't voiced

they deserve voices

Beatrix at the end of CS1 had the absolute perfect voice for her, so I am disappointed it didn't return.

- I was not that enthusiastic about this dungeon. I spent too much time screwing around with different party combinations, and it burned me out. I feel this dungeon is better done by speeding through with a strong Class VII team until the end, and then playing around.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Delphisage posted:

This is why I dropped the series. They spent about 120 hours undercutting all the player's efforts, and your reward for it all is to go through a goddamn zero-plot procgen dungeon with two dozen playable characters to finally get a Clear Data save. That's just too little player respect for me to handle. I didn't even bother with this dungeon - I just did the last Sharon sidequest, watched the ending on Youtube, and uninstalled the game.

I have my own problems with the Cold Steel series, and if you thought these were bad, getting out now was probably for the best. (If you think that the final dungeon of CS 2 was wasting time, then you'd probably also think the same about the first sixty hours of Cold Steel 3?) ...But stopping for that reason at that point is a bit odd, when all which needed to be done was smash through to the end and ignore the side characters.

secretly best girl posted:

Beatrix at the end of CS1 had the absolute perfect voice for her, so I am disappointed it didn't return.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:negative:

Oh no, how many videos?

Anyway, have some blast-from-the-past quotes which were surprisingly prescient.:

This LP posted:

CS1 - Episode 92: On Claire being 5 years Rean's senior. "That's datin' distance." "Maybe next year."

It wasn't exactly next year, but it felt like it!

This LP posted:

CS 2 - Episode 37: "I swear to god, if the final dungeon is in the Old Schoolhouse again..." "You know what? Alarmingly plausible."

Nailed it.

This LP posted:

CS 1 - Episode 3: (On team victory quotes) "Now we only have like 12 other people to do that with."

More like 16, but who's counting?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 17, 2022

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

...But stopping for that reason at that point is a bit odd, when all which needed to be done was smash through to the end and ignore the side characters.

The gameplay wasn't fun anymore. Pretty much every fight had become "spam Arc Slash and self-buffs forever or die".

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Delphisage posted:

The gameplay wasn't fun anymore. Pretty much every fight had become "spam Arc Slash and self-buffs forever or die".

This is not remotely true, at least up to Hard. I have not yet tried Nightmare no carry-over, but I suspect it'd be true there as well.

Also speaking of which, why were you commenting on CS4 things if you haven't played those games again?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ There's about a million ways to play CS2. "Spam Arc Slash and Buffs" is definitely one of them, and actually will defeat the vast majority of bosses. Well, it's more like some combination of Arc Slash, Rapid Thrust, Bullet Cyclone, etc.... 10% Delay efficacy on an enemy is not enough delay resistance somehow. This is somewhat fixed in CS3 where you start seeing enemies with single digit efficacies. I can't imagine playing with just one character/strat though. That's weird. The number of people who play this game I've seen that never even touch their reserve/support party members actually wounds me. I switch characters constantly. I think the end of CS3 is the only time in the series I reliably have more or less the same active party for an entire boss fight, but there are reasons for that.

How about the first sixty hours of Cold Steel 3?

~ Cannot comprehend this take. CS3 is basically about being in the dark and piecing an obscure series of events together. And it is also about making huge amounts of progress to where you are almost, almost equal to the powers lurking behind the scenes. But aren't. Plus it has what I consider some of the best individual moments in the franchise. (Not series. Franchise. I am counting Sky and Crossbell. Well, half of Crossbell.)

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Cyouni posted:

Also speaking of which, why were you commenting on CS4 things if you haven't played those games again?

I...wasn't? I don't think I've ever talked about stuff from CS4 on this thread.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ There's about a million ways to play CS2. "Spam Arc Slash and Buffs" is definitely one of them, and actually will defeat the vast majority of bosses. Well, it's more like some combination of Arc Slash, Rapid Thrust, Bullet Cyclone, etc.... 10% Delay efficacy on an enemy is not enough delay resistance somehow. This is somewhat fixed in CS3 where you start seeing enemies with single digit efficacies. I can't imagine playing with just one character/strat though. That's weird. The number of people who play this game I've seen that never even touch their reserve/support party members actually wounds me. I switch characters constantly. I think the end of CS3 is the only time in the series I reliably have more or less the same active party for an entire boss fight, but there are reasons for that.

Yeah, the idea that someone didn't wish to finish the game because they were bored with using the same strategy they were using all game... at the exact time the game gives you THIRTEEN additional party members to mix things up if you care to seems contradictory. But it's fine, no skin off my nose.

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ Cannot comprehend this take. CS3 is basically about being in the dark and piecing an obscure series of events together. And it is also about making huge amounts of progress to where you are almost, almost equal to the powers lurking behind the scenes. But aren't. Plus it has what I consider some of the best individual moments in the franchise. (Not series. Franchise. I am counting Sky and Crossbell. Well, half of Crossbell.)

I said that very wrong. What I meant was that if Delphisage considered this dungeon to be a waste of time, he would probably have those thoughts about the first three chapters of CS 3.