Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Wii version was a success for THQ. Dunno if it was a massive success or a moderate one, but they were popular enough when I worked at GameStop at the time. What killed THQ was the decision to make PS3/360 udraw tablets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Hey gang it's that time of year when I bust out my 3DS and play Pokemon in anticipation of a new Pokemon game, and the battery on my New 3DSXL seems to be shot to poo poo. I'm getting like an hour and half before I get the very upsetting blinking red light. There's a shitload of batteries on Amazon and most of them have few reviews, should I just bite the bullet and order from Nintendo? Shipping it brings it to like $25. BatteriesPlus also has a battery for $25 but it would need to be shipped too (ship to store is free though). Not sure if it's worth it because it claims to have more (higher?) watt hours; 10.4 vs 6.5 from Nintendo.

Or if one of the random $15 from Amazon is fine that's cool too because I have prime, just kind of wary of buying a no-name battery.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Are you in the US? If so buy straight from Nintendo. The price difference is worth it since it guarantees a stable battery

hatty fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 4, 2022

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the batteries have gone out of stock from nintendo for extended periods so i'd get one there while you can

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Many of the returning endgame 3DS sales are on (Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter 4 3D, Resident Evil Mercenaries etc) , but now added to the mix now are the River City games for 50% off

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/river-city-tokyo-rumble-3ds/
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/river-city-rival-showdown-3ds/
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/river-city-knights-of-justice-3ds/

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Spellman posted:

Many of the returning endgame 3DS sales are on (Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter 4 3D, Resident Evil Mercenaries etc) , but now added to the mix now are the River City games for 50% off

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/river-city-tokyo-rumble-3ds/
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/river-city-rival-showdown-3ds/
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/river-city-knights-of-justice-3ds/

If i only get one, which is best? They look pretty all over the place.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

the rat fandom posted:

If i only get one, which is best? They look pretty all over the place.

I’d go for Rival Showdown. It’s the second remake of River City Ransom but with the original Kunio setting intact.

Tokyo Rumble is good too and maybe a better choice if you want something a little more action based. RS really leans into the more RPG elements of RCR.

I haven’t played the other one yet.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 26, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Worried to have discovered that my A button isn’t all that responsive. I hadn’t played since October and trying it out last night I really had to push the button to get it work and even then it lagged.

Am I out a 3DS? I’ll probably try contact cleaner like I’ve done with joycons but otherwise I’ve got no ideas. I’m not a particularly handy person.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Doesn’t hurt to take it apart and clean it. Hopefully that fixes things.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I believe the 3DS is not one of those devices that "doesn't hurt" to take it apart and clean, as apparently it's very easy to screw up and not be able to connect one of those tiny cables back or even damage one of them in the process.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nintendo is still doing repairs for certain models so maybe just having them do it is the way to go in that case.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Their website suggests using a toothbrush which seems futile but I’ll try. I really don’t trust myself taking it apart. Maybe contact cleaner is a bad idea? I don’t know… I’ll see if Nintendo France offers repairs or something.

This sucks. I have a switch but it’s the 3DS I like taking on the road with me. It’s a better portable object.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Consider a replacement or repair by jbone in the SAmart thread. He does a ton of fixes and rebuilds

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

beer gas canister posted:

Consider a replacement or repair by jbone in the SAmart thread. He does a ton of fixes and rebuilds

Thanks I’ll look into this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

This is the way.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

While I've purchased from jbone and am absolutely happy with it, a word of caution in that he's US-based and international shipping may be a deal-breaker for one or both of you.

Here's a link to the thread for you to look into it yourself, though.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost
What's the best way to actually play my 3DS games these days?

I have a launch 3DS that stopped working shortly before the Switch released and I never bothered to do anything about it on the mistaken belief that everything I'd want to play would get ported over to the Switch. Now that the 3DS is discontinued and no longer sold by Nintendo I'm regretting my lack of action. Is the best bet just to look for a used 3DS? Is there any reasonable way to dump my cartridges for emulation?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d just get another N3DS before they’re really expensive. Citra is cool but it’s still not totally there and you lose the 3D effect.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lord Harbor posted:

Is there any reasonable way to dump my cartridges for emulation?
You can easily dump all your games/cartridges but you'll need a 3DS to do it.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I just beat Metroid Samus Returns, a reimaging of a gameboy game. Metroid looked nice with the 3D but game-wise too many identical mini boss metroids, it got to be way too repetitive and unique bosses are few. I kept thinking near the end that replaying Super Metroid would've been more fun. The worst thing was that near the end you get a super-cute baby metroid :3: to follow you around, but like 20 minutes after that you're at the last boss, unless you want to backtrack and up your clear %, but I was ready to be done with the game.

That was the last major game in my 3ds backlog, end of an era :cheers:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lord Harbor posted:

What's the best way to actually play my 3DS games these days?

I have a launch 3DS that stopped working shortly before the Switch released and I never bothered to do anything about it on the mistaken belief that everything I'd want to play would get ported over to the Switch. Now that the 3DS is discontinued and no longer sold by Nintendo I'm regretting my lack of action. Is the best bet just to look for a used 3DS? Is there any reasonable way to dump my cartridges for emulation?

Is this something a Steam Deck could do? People talk about using it do run emulators. Obviously you wouldn't retain the 3D effect (I wouldn't personally care- I rarely used that), but it does have a touch screen.

Just recently got one myself and was dimly thinking of tinkering around with that. Don't know how well it would work in practice.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Citra is one of the emulators that Emudeck installs. I haven't personally done much with it though, because I do still have a working 3DS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

3DS is possible on Steam Deck, but I haven’t had the best experience with it. Fire Emblem Awakening was playable but not enjoyably so. Super Mario 3D Land was unplayable for me, but I’ve seen someone on YouTube getting it to run smoothly and use those HD assets, so I must have been doing something wrong. It’s definitely harder to emulate and figure out than most of the other consoles.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Yuge price drop on Culdecept Revolt & Severed

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/culdcept-revolt-3ds/
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/severed-3ds/

I purchased Severed on a previous sale, but just decided to boot up my Wii U to see if the trailer was true: You get to download it for free on Wii U if you purchased it on 3DS, or vice-versa

Spellman fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 30, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Detective No. 27 posted:

3DS is possible on Steam Deck, but I haven’t had the best experience with it. Fire Emblem Awakening was playable but not enjoyably so. Super Mario 3D Land was unplayable for me, but I’ve seen someone on YouTube getting it to run smoothly and use those HD assets, so I must have been doing something wrong. It’s definitely harder to emulate and figure out than most of the other consoles.

It's because of having 3 screens running at once, right?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Spellman posted:

Yuge price drop on Culdecept Revolt & Severed

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/culdcept-revolt-3ds/
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/severed-3ds/

I purchased Severed on a previous sale, but just decided to boot up my Wii U to see if the trailer was true: You get to download it for free on Wii U if you purchased it on 3DS, or vice-versa

Severed is a good weekend game, I'd recommend it at < $5 for sure.

Culdcept Revolt got recommended to me in another thread but I already have so many RPGs to play on this thing. But what's one more :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't know about Revolt, but the original PS2 Culdcept played more like Dokapon Kingdom or Fortune Street combined with Magic the Gathering than an actual JRPG. It was a board game where you set creatures down on properties and upgraded them to increase both the creature's combat power and the territory's "rent" and whenever an opponent landed on one of your territories (or vice versa) they had the option to play a creature to attempt to conquer the territory through combat or just pay the rent. You also had spell cards you could play to manipulate dice rolls, damage creatures, etc.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost
Thanks for all the replies!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You can easily dump all your games/cartridges but you'll need a 3DS to do it.

I was hoping there was some sort of 3rd party hardware/adapter I could get for cheap that would let me just dump them straight to PC but that doesn't seem to be an option.

This thread did encourage me to actually dig the 3DS out of storage and take another look, and when I do it's obvious that the battery pack has swelled and is bulging out the back cover. I guess I'll try ordering a new one to see if that works. Looks like Nintendo still sells them for $15.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The eshop is open for 3 more months. A smart company would try to sell as much as possible. Nintendo will continue to try to get full retail.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How long ago did they stop selling 3DSes? This really feels like too soon after that.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They only discontinued it in 2020, it does seem pretty soon

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I randomly checked my local EU edition of the 3DS eShop to see if Toki Tori was on sale once more, only to rejoice at the sight of Atlus titles again. The Picross e titles are discounted as well for a few more days. Time to spend my last tenner, since I doubt I'll ever want to those funds for shopping on a Switch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/oliwelsh/status...ingawful.com%2F

Well at least it’s out of Nintendo jail

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
No idea who this person is, but remember that this poo poo is shutting down at the end of next month-
https://twitter.com/DragonCatalyst/status/1620097848762310657

Yes I still need to hack my 3DS. I'll get there eventually!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

very hard to obtain*

*for player characters with a lawful good alignment

C-Euro posted:

The most convenient method involves using the free-to-play Pokemon Picross. I don't think it stops functioning when the 3DS eShop shuts down, but you should definitely consider downloading it from there and setting it up ASAP.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 1, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
In two months it will be your civic duty to hack every 3DS you can get your hands on

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

hatty posted:

In two months it will be your civic duty to hack every 3DS you can get your hands on

correct

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mierenneuker posted:

very hard to obtain*

*for player characters with a lawful good alignment

The most convenient method involves using the free-to-play Pokemon Picross. I don't think it stops functioning when the 3DS eShop shuts down, but you should definitely consider downloading it from there and setting it up ASAP.

Oh yeah that game rules, I thought I had heard that it was an easy in-road for hacking.

I still have a little money left on this thing for whatever reason, but at this point I have so much to play that I'll probably just see if anything I already own has DLC that I never picked up. :files:ing whole games can wait until I've actually booted up everything I own at least once, which has been a fun recent weekend project.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

C-Euro posted:

No idea who this person is, but remember that this poo poo is shutting down at the end of next month-
https://twitter.com/DragonCatalyst/status/1620097848762310657

That list of games is cool and all except for the fact that you can’t buy anything in the eshop anymore since they shut down credit card access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Your account balance is shared across systems so if you add to it via PC or Switch you can still buy on WiiU/3DS.