Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Deleter posted:

Its the year of our lord 2023! In the spirit of (and stealing from) the 40K badcast, what's your hobby plans for the year!

I'm gonna repaint my deepkin, and try and get them up to 2000 points at last. I also want some terrain, enough to play small games at my own place if the need arises.

I started working on Slaves to Darkness army today, and they will likely be my big project for the early part of the year, after that I plan to have at least one 40k army ready for the 10th edition release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I’ve got the beginning of my Soulblight Gravelords army halfway built (2021 battle force and Cursed City). I’ve settled on the paint scheme so my main task is to paint it. It would be my first fully painted army I’ve done in a long time, I’ve been focusing on skirmish games, but I really like this army and am excited to try AoS. I’ll probably try to follow along with the new year new army/armies on parade milestones at my local GW store.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/02/celebrate-store-anniversaries-in-2023-with-a-kahl-an-admiral-an-anthology-and-warhammer-swag

This years store anniversary model has been revealed.

A very greebly dwarf. I can already hear some painters shudder in horror at the detailing. The arkanaut in his hand is a really cool detail though.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/02/celebrate-store-anniversaries-in-2023-with-a-kahl-an-admiral-an-anthology-and-warhammer-swag

A very greebly dwarf. I can already hear some painters shudder in horror at the detailing. The arkanaut in his hand is a really cool detail though.

jesus christ

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

You just know that within 24 hours of release some tryhard would have NMM-ed every single square inch of it.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

I started working on Slaves to Darkness army today, and they will likely be my big project for the early part of the year, after that I plan to have at least one 40k army ready for the 10th edition release

Oh, what have you started off with? I'm trying to finish painting mine so I can buy some of their new models without feeling guilty.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

You just know that within 24 hours of release some tryhard would have NMM-ed every single square inch of it.

Maybe in a year or two I'll bother with NMM, seems like something to do on a bust rather than a mini, since you'll see it from all directions on the table

anyways can someone help me out, I specifically am looking for books on Ossiarch Bonereapers and Gloomspite Gitz. Is there anything in audiobook format?

I see "A Tithe of Bone" but it's an ebook, not really useful to me because I listen to books while painting.

edit: I see "The Vulture Lord" is an audiobook

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 2, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

I was gonna say "24 hours after getting the model ahead of release", but then I don't they send store anniversary models out to painters like everything else.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

anyways can someone help me out, I specifically am looking for books on Ossiarch Bonereapers and Gloomspite Gitz. Is there anything in audiobook format?

I see "A Tithe of Bone" but it's an ebook, not really useful to me because I listen to books while painting.

For Bonecast their first major book is The Vulture Lord, which is available in audiobook:
https://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/featured/ebook-the-vulture-lord-eng-2022.html

As for Gits there's Any Clarks' Gloomspite, also available in audiobook format:
https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/novels/gloomspite-2019.html

Clark has another Gloomspite book in the works but won't be out for who knows long.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 2, 2023

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
To be clear Gloomspite, while a good book is not from the Gitz perspective. It's basically a disaster story with the Gitz being portrayed as an almost unstoppable force of nature. There is also Gitslayer in the new Gotrek series but once again not from their perspective.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Bad Loon Rising on the other hand, will be from the Gloomspite perspective.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Genghis Cohen posted:

Oh, what have you started off with? I'm trying to finish painting mine so I can buy some of their new models without feeling guilty.

I started putting together the Chosen yesterday (excellent models) and once those are finished Im gonna get the Ogroids together. Not sure how much Ill put together before priming them all but after the army set is assembled I have two start collectings and the Warhammer+ Chaos Sorcerer model to do. After that I have a speed painting tutorial I found on YouTube that Im gonna use as the starting point for my army's paint scheme.

Edit: here's the tutorial https://youtu.be/xsMiwnRp08o

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

seems like there might be this too?

Guy Haley’s Skarsnik

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

GreenBuckanneer posted:

seems like there might be this too?

Guy Haley’s Skarsnik

That is a Warhammer old world book, not Gloomspite Gitz. Haven't read it but Haley is usually decent.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

The Deleter posted:

Its the year of our lord 2023! In the spirit of (and stealing from) the 40K badcast, what's your hobby plans for the year!

I'm gonna repaint my deepkin, and try and get them up to 2000 points at last. I also want some terrain, enough to play small games at my own place if the need arises.

Will chaos dwarves into existence

Edit: will also accept a redo of the FEC range

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 2, 2023

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Business Gorillas posted:

Will chaos dwarves into existence

Edit: will also accept a redo of the FEC range

same except the latter only buys them six extra months

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cooked Auto posted:

These models are so easy to paint and have them look amazing. He's got a lot of extra bits but I just blast on metal colour for mine then use tints. They're so much fun.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah a lot of him is just monotone gold in the Heavy Metal style that sucks. Spray him a metallic, pick out details you like and you've probably got the body of him down. It's just overloaded with rivets and dicots that make him hard to parse visually.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

I started putting together the Chosen yesterday (excellent models) and once those are finished Im gonna get the Ogroids together. Not sure how much Ill put together before priming them all but after the army set is assembled I have two start collectings and the Warhammer+ Chaos Sorcerer model to do. After that I have a speed painting tutorial I found on YouTube that Im gonna use as the starting point for my army's paint scheme.

Edit: here's the tutorial https://youtu.be/xsMiwnRp08o

Seems rock solid to me mate. Warriors, knights and chosen are all great, and that's a solid ratio of them. It's actually quite funny, I follow a Reddit page for StD and like half the posts are people putting up an army box and/or SC box and asking 'is this a good place to start'.

I'm looking forward to getting some of the chosen, and new knights and warriors command pieces. Probably a mounted lord as well.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
For the command pieces I ordered some stuff off ebay that will hopefully let me do some light conversions to my knights and warriors to have a command without needing to buy a new kit

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

For the command pieces I ordered some stuff off ebay that will hopefully let me do some light conversions to my knights and warriors to have a command without needing to buy a new kit

If you have any kind of banner lying around, the knight with the upturned lance is really easy to turn into a standard bearer.

You gotta get a bit more creative for the musician. Mine is tormented the ghost of a trumpeteer he killed, who follows him around going doooooooot. I very nearly bought the Kurdoss Valentian kit just to get his dooters.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

Ogor Leadbelchers. I feel like finishing up my Ogor painting soon, it's feeling repetitive.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

If you have any kind of banner lying around, the knight with the upturned lance is really easy to turn into a standard bearer.

You gotta get a bit more creative for the musician. Mine is tormented the ghost of a trumpeteer he killed, who follows him around going doooooooot. I very nearly bought the Kurdoss Valentian kit just to get his dooters.

What a cool idea! I was just going to cut the end off a horn from another chaos kit, and glue it partly underneath a shield.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

What's a good source for neoprene objective mats for Age of Sigmar? The objective size is too large to do what I did for 40k (laser cut mylar sheets)

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Chainclaw posted:

What's a good source for neoprene objective mats for Age of Sigmar? The objective size is too large to do what I did for 40k (laser cut mylar sheets)
Not neoprene, but I just use some 12-inch meshes for dumplings:
https://www.amazon.com/GUCUJI-Silicone-Steamer-Steamed-Dumplings/dp/B07P74716Y/
Should be even cheaper in local stores.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

12" round might be possible to laser cut on a glowforge Pro, or do in halves on a regular glowforge. Is mylar like clear acrylic or a similar material?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

12" round might be possible to laser cut on a glowforge Pro, or do in halves on a regular glowforge. Is mylar like clear acrylic or a similar material?

Remember those overhead projectors they'd wheel out in the '80s and '90s in class? It's that floppy transparent plastic used on those.

I want them to look nice, glued together wouldn't look that nice. I've got the mid-range Glowforge, not a pro.

I'm leaning toward these right now: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1150363728/neoprene-zones-for-age-of-sigmar-stony-6

But the gotcha is they wouldn't be here until after the 16th, and I was hoping to get a game in on MLK weekend.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Well, for something that looks nice in a short amount of time you could use the glowforge to cut a 12" piece, two 6" (minus 1/2 width of 12" piece) pieces and make a cross, and then cut out pieces for the arcs you want. If you made it out of thin wood you could then style the pieces for use later. Perhaps instead of smooth sides the pieces are jagged with an overlay of rocks, depicting a top down view of rough terrain that could be used later for that purpose.

Or, if you want to do a more interesting scenic objective you can do two half circles, but have one taller than the other, like a stage or raised area for a ritual or sacrifice.

If you have colored acrylic to use you could do red transparent half circles, join them to make the full circle, and then cut out a black opaque piece of acrylic that would cover the seam and also perhaps be different shapes, like a grating maybe, and it could be a portal to hell that needs to be opened. You could do it with a different color acrylic (blue for a water portal or sky portal or whatever is thematic.)

For non thematic option you could make the circle two pieces, but instead of half circles, make them a ying-yang thing. Perhaps make it so that when a team controls that objective you flip over one of the small "eyes" and it indicates who has control.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/05/dawnbringer-previews-the-importance-of-religion-relics-and-ritual-to-the-cities-of-sigmar

Time for the first Cities of Sigmar preview of the new year. Of course with some teasers of future model designs:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Makes me wish they made a Gothic architecture packs when they put out those scenery bitz boxes a few years ago.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I like how they doing some weird interpretations of Sigmar's cults, it's like he doesn't care as long as they fight Chaos.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Talas posted:

I like how they doing some weird interpretations of Sigmar's cults, it's like he doesn't care as long as they fight Chaos.

It's gonna be like the 101 chaos cults of warcry eh.

Bet you could have sigmarite versions of all of them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Got the AOS Order supply drop (Australia) and it's vanguard boxes of Fyreslayers and DoK! Pretty good! I don't have any of either ranges so this will be fun.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Crossposting: anyone else get the impression that Sigmar's regime is *more* fascist than the Imperium?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

War and Pieces posted:

Crossposting: anyone else get the impression that Sigmar's regime is *more* fascist than the Imperium?

I don't know about *more* fascist, except that he's actually an active god with powers and the Emperor is sidelined, so Sigmar can exert more direct influence on how things are run, but it's definitely more fascist than I thought before I started actually reading AOS lore.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

War and Pieces posted:

No, cause it heavily depends on the city and location.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

MonsterEnvy posted:

No, cause it heavily depends on the city and location.

Ok so fantasy Feudalism just like the Imperialism.

the extent in which the authoritarian tyranny can actually exercise power is entirely dependant on plot considerations!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

War and Pieces posted:

Ok so fantasy Feudalism just like the Imperialism.

the extent in which the authoritarian tyranny can actually exercise power is entirely dependant on plot considerations!

Well the best cities are not authoritarian tyrannies. By default none of them are supposed to be as they are supposed run by councils with elected membership.

What gives you the impression that Sigmar's Regime is more fascist?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Sigmar seems to let people govern themselves as they see fit, just putting out the fires of Chaos from time to time. Yes, there are some cities like Excelsis more authoritarian than others, but it's not like that everywhere. I mean, some Stormcast suffer from flaws that end up making them completely unable to distinguish whether they are doing cruel things, and so can sometimes be very brutal, but it's not the norm by far and they'll still fight Chaos until the end. He even lets his people worship other gods, even some Stormcasts pray to other gods.

The other factions of Order can be even more brutal, like Morathi is probably more authoritarian than Sigmar with the whole "Blood Cult" thing and extreme matriarchy. The Lumineth Realmlords treat some of the humans living among them like unruly children unfit to take care of themselves and "re-educating" them if they show dissent. The Idoneth look at almost every sentient being as cattle. And so on...

Talas fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 6, 2023

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Knights Excelsior are definitely worse on average than most Space Marine chapters, but the average Stormcast legion is way better, and there isn't an overarching unified fascist government, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
There's a part in soul Wars where a new Stormcast Eternal says something like "We don't need to understand why Sigmar wants us to do this we just need to follow orders!" And her boss says that's dumb and Sigmar wants them to question him and follow of their own free will. Sigmar befriended Gorkamorka and Nagash and worked with them for centuries before it broke down. He still basically rules by divine right of being king, but compared to the Emperor who was explicitly either you do what I say or I kill you he's running a utopia.
Like the Knights Excelsior are hard core but even the nicest space Marines will murder helpless aliens who've done nothing but exist or kill every human on a world that refuses to follow the Emperor.