Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Y'all just gotta get good at convincing your wife that getting the boat was her idea like I did.

Actually it is better for her because she can actually ride in a boat we own now, it actually has nice seating opposed to the two man fishing skiff I have now which has no seating :v:

Also this hull design is super dry, the fishing skiff not so much.

She's cool with it as long as she can get some more jewelry she said lol, I'll take the tradeoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Has the boat market gone batshit the last few years like the car industry market has?

Was talking about boats the other day with my brother and he's got some sort of Crestliner and he was all like "yeah I can probably sell it for as much or more than what I paid for it 7(ish) years ago. He told me how much he paid for it. I forget the number but somewhere between 25-30k Canadian commie dollars.

Fake edit: Its a Crestliner Vision 1700

Just curious, I've been looking at a Lund product thats *probably* about the equivalent product and its waay fuckin more expensive. I realize of course that even in normal times, the price for stuff goes up year after year, and it depends on how its optioned and whatnot, but holy gently caress the difference is crazy.

Is Lund "better"? I'm not trying to compete with him and be all like 'yo my poo poo is way better' I just want something comfortable that I'm going to (presumably) own for years without getting sick of it.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 5, 2023

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I can't offer any expertise on if one is better than the other, but I'm fairly sure that for newer boats (very very roughly, within the last 10 years, maybe older?) they're made in the same factory so I'd be suprised if there were huge quality differences. It could be a Chevrolet vs Pontiac vs Cadillac type of thing but I couldn't tell you which one is better.

boxen fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 6, 2023

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

wesleywillis posted:

Has the boat market gone batshit the last few years like the car industry market has?

Was talking about boats the other day with my brother and he's got some sort of Crestliner and he was all like "yeah I can probably sell it for as much or more than what I paid for it 7(ish) years ago. He told me how much he paid for it. I forget the number but somewhere between 25-30k Canadian commie dollars.

Yeah, prices and availability went nuts the first summer of the pandemic since boating was something that couldn't be shut down.

Outboard availability still is spotty too. Last year my mom had to wait 6 months to get a new Tohatsu that would have been available within a week or so before the pandemic.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As someone who took their boat off the market I can confirm it's past it's peak

Well paying white collar jobs getting the axe lately + interest rates for boats near 10% is going to soften the market considerably. Especially boats over 30' that need a slip at a marina. $350/mo + another $100/mo insurance to leave a boat on the market eats into any perceived "profit" real fast. A $50k boat might drop their list to $40k to move it at $36 just to get out from under the note on it (plus depreciation)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

How do y'all motherfuckers drive at night?

I understand you'll use GPS or whatever the gently caress to navigate and sonar or whatever to make sure you don't run in to a shoal, or otherwise ground yourself, but how do you actually see? Do you bring out a spotlight or some poo poo?

I don't think I've ever seen a boat that had headlights.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

New boat in the family:

1974 (?) 28 foot Marinette.

Regular rotation Chrysler 318:

While the cabin and interior spaces look good, there's a lot of rot aft:

Aluminum hull, mostly aluminum superstructure, not sure about the deck(s). Looks like vinyl over fiberboard. Almost all of the fittings go straight into metal, AFAICT.

There is a lot of space in this thing. Sleeps four between the V berth and folding table/bed. Two burner stove and pressurized sink in the galley, with one very old ice box. There's a cartridge toilet and sink in the pretty roomy head. Even has a demountable A/C unit that fits in a hatch above the V.

My experience is limited to little deck boats with outboards and the owner's is living aboard sailboats. New territory for everyone here.

The motor runs, but needs the water pump installed and the carb hosed with. New pump and new carb came with the boat but the owners lost interest before getting the thing 100%. The only thing I can see wrong with the new carb is that it has the wrong air filter and the primary linkage is super loose. Decent carb though: 4bbl 600CFM Edelbrock still under warranty that the PO overpaid by $200 dollars for.

Might be great, might not. We shall see.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wesleywillis posted:

I understand you'll use GPS or whatever the gently caress to navigate and sonar or whatever to make sure you don't run in to a shoal, or otherwise ground yourself, but how do you actually see? Do you bring out a spotlight or some poo poo?

Clearly you've never been around a pontoon boat with docking lights driven by an idiot. Boats don't have headlights because they're traditionally operating too far away from things for them to be effective. Some boats have docking lights which are like headlights but intended only for seeing the dock or shore you're about to ease up to. The problem is that some people just leave them on which can blind nearby boaters and obscures the navigation lights that are supposed to inform other boaters which direction you're pointing and likely traveling.

Here's a slightly more in depth answer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScHNieC5ymU

Before the days of cheap sonar you'd use a topographic map and/or just trust the channel markers if you were on a large enough body of water. I remember how cool it was when my dad first got Garmin's Bluecharts on a waterproof gps. I probably don't even want to know how much that monochromatic thing cost back in the day.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

Clearly you've never been around a pontoon boat with docking lights driven by an idiot. Boats don't have headlights because they're traditionally operating too far away from things for them to be effective. Some boats have docking lights which are like headlights but intended only for seeing the dock or shore you're about to ease up to. The problem is that some people just leave them on which can blind nearby boaters and obscures the navigation lights that are supposed to inform other boaters which direction you're pointing and likely traveling.

Before the days of cheap sonar you'd use a topographic map and/or just trust the channel markers if you were on a large enough body of water. I remember how cool it was when my dad first got Garmin's Bluecharts on a waterproof gps. I probably don't even want to know how much that monochromatic thing cost back in the day.

Or just do it like the airboaters on the Tsala Apopka: wait until the bar closes, mash the throttle into lightspeed, and trust that you know the way well enough from living and boating on the lakes your whole life that you probably won't wipe out someone's dock. Get too close and the dog's will let you know.

loving love going out there, love toodling through the mangroves more, but there's a cavalier attitude towards safety among the locals that scares the piss out of me sometimes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

loving love going out there, love toodling through the mangroves more, but there's a cavalier attitude towards safety among the locals that scares the piss out of me sometimes.

Have noticed that around here too with the locals, it's almost like a pissing contest to see who has the biggest balls and it's loving annoying to be honest.

Like there's no point going full throttle over a shallow grass flat, what are you trying to prove other than you don't give a poo poo about ruining the sea grass so you can get your rush for the day. Go out in the Gulf and go hog wild wtf.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Cat Hatter posted:

Nah, Only been around boats during the day. Not really at night. Except maybe dusk I'm not likely to be out at night much (if at all) but I was figuring something like a spotlight aimed at the water 40-50 feet ahead might be useful. If for nothing more than not running over a bunch of sleeping ducks or something. Geese on the other hand gently caress them. I'm not going to run over geese even though I hate those fuckers. And of course seeing things when I dock/land, but marinas probably have enough lights that maybe that part isn't an issue.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wesleywillis posted:

Nah, Only been around boats during the day. Not really at night. Except maybe dusk I'm not likely to be out at night much (if at all) but I was figuring something like a spotlight aimed at the water 40-50 feet ahead might be useful. If for nothing more than not running over a bunch of sleeping ducks or something. Geese on the other hand gently caress them. I'm not going to run over geese even though I hate those fuckers. And of course seeing things when I dock/land, but marinas probably have enough lights that maybe that part isn't an issue.

You're supposed to be going slow enough at night that waterfowl will move out of the way, they're on the lookout for predators much quieter than you anyway. A decent flashlight/spotlight is handy for docking/trailering but not strictly necessary. Just don't mount it to the boat and leave it on all the time, its a nuisance to others and makes you more likely to get in a collision with other boats who can't as easily discern your course/heading.

That said, you'd be surprised how hardy waterfowl can be. Tangent story time!
I was once going through a ski slalom on a PWC and a duck didn't recognize that I was in a turn and wouldn't come anywhere near him, panicked, and flew straight into my path and got directly run over at probably 30+mph. He shook off the water and I checked that he was still swimming with both legs and could fly. Ducks are cute and I was afraid I'd hurt the little idiot.

A different time I was towing my now-wife on a tube, again making S turns and, again, a duck that wasn't in our path panicked and flew right for where the tube was going. I throttled down to idle immediately but that didn't stop the tube or duck, which bounced off my wife's shoulder. She wasn't happy about that or how hard we were laughing at the situation on the boat. I have a theory that ducks don't understand trajectories very well since they don't hunt other birds and don't need to.

Nothing was as bad though as my cousin who had been out on a PWC and comes up to me:
"Is it illegal to own geese?"
"What?"
"I owned them"
Turns out he was driving along and some boat cut him off. His only options for emergency evasive action was to drive into a different boat or a flock of geese. He then went power-sliding through a flock of geese while their bodies bonked audibly off the hull. Even then, there weren't any visibly injured or dead geese afterwards.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

At night you're usually going somewhere specific, an island, a bay, or back to the marina

Chances you run into something disabling like a log floating in the water are extremely low

Depends on your locale but unless you're in far south Florida or somewhere lovely like the carolinas so long as you're more than 100' offshore you're unlikely to hit anything. Weird poo poo like rocky outcrops you'll wreck on are usually conveniently named like "death rock" or whatever and locals are quick to point them out to you. "Close calls" in boats are measured in miles; any navigable waterways smaller than that will be well marked

TL;DR if you need headlights on a boat you probably shouldn't be on one

Surfing down 8' waves in the Pacific on a new moon in 20kts of wind, 8 miles off shore is both calming and unnerving. Just keep the coast on your left, as I always say

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

It would mainly be lake Ontario, near Toronto. Most likely not at night, but hey you never know. Possibly Lake Erie a few times a year and maybe a smaller Canadian Shield lake every now and then.
I don't even have a boat yet anyway, just trying to learn some poo poo. I have a boating license, but they basically give them away, so if/when I get one I'd take a legit boater safety course.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Just keep a decent flashlight with you because they're handy in almost any situation and don't worry about it. If you're out at night you'll almost always be someplace you're familiar with or so far from shore it wouldn't matter anyway. Nobody ever says to themselves "Great, its 11:00pm. Time to put in at a lake I've never been to!"

Weirdly, I find the tiny (couple hundred acres) lakes I boat on to be the most hazardous. Sure, Lake St Clair and larger are actually more dangerous, but you expect things like rough water and commercial traffic there. Tiny lakes just expect you to know where sandbars etc are because only locals use them. If you're lucky, someone will be nice enough to tie an empty fabric softener jug to a cinderblock to mark a large rock or something. It was weird/nice when I moved to Georgia and started going to Lake Allatoona (12,000 acres) and all the submerged hazards were properly marked, even if there was the occasional "Don't go between here and shore" marker that was nearly in the middle of the passageway.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Hadlock posted:

Surfing down 8' waves in the Pacific on a new moon in 20kts of wind, 8 miles off shore is both calming and unnerving. Just keep the coast on your left, as I always say

The only thing I'm worried about hitting at night is, in order:
1) crab pots (keep the depth gauge reading 300+)
2) logs
3) whales
4) shipping detritus

#2-4 you're not gonna see anyway, so drive someone else's boat and hope they don't throw you overboard?

:toot:

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

wesleywillis posted:

It would mainly be lake Ontario, near Toronto. Most likely not at night, but hey you never know. Possibly Lake Erie a few times a year and maybe a smaller Canadian Shield lake every now and then.
I don't even have a boat yet anyway, just trying to learn some poo poo. I have a boating license, but they basically give them away, so if/when I get one I'd take a legit boater safety course.

I'm on Lake Ontario and yeah, there's basically no chance of hitting anything so long as you're not right on shore (and can read your charts for marked things that you can hit, although those are few and far between).

We keep a good flashlight for getting into the marina since there's a few twists and the entrance isn't amazingly well lit / marked, but tbh half the time we don't use it.

In terms of safety, the license course tells you everything you need to know, it's just practice after that.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

enki42 posted:

I'm on Lake Ontario and yeah, there's basically no chance of hitting anything so long as you're not right on shore (and can read your charts for marked things that you can hit, although those are few and far between).

We keep a good flashlight for getting into the marina since there's a few twists and the entrance isn't amazingly well lit / marked, but tbh half the time we don't use it.

In terms of safety, the license course tells you everything you need to know, it's just practice after that.

My license "course" was the open book fail and don't pay test.
I remember exactly this much:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

The only thing I'm worried about hitting at night is, in order:
1) crab pots (keep the depth gauge reading 300+)
2) logs
3) whales
4) shipping detritus

#2-4 you're not gonna see anyway, so drive someone else's boat and hope they don't throw you overboard?

:toot:

:lmao:

You've actually been on the boat with me

#1) I've been on two different boats that have hit whales, one of which was mine (both had visual confirmation, one had audible confirmation)
#2) I forget already, but see #2

Crab pots are a real problem tho

Edit: I think #2 was, a gray whale rolled over and gave me the stink eye leaving half moon bay; didn't hit him but only because we were motoring at just barely above idle speed to engage the folding prop

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The closest I've come is a loving harbor seal rolled me in my kayak once

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I came REALLY close to hitting a manatee once, luckily I panic reacted the right way instead of the wrong way. They are so hard to see until you are right on top of them, they get hit all the time and lots of them have the scars to show it. Lots of them don't make it either tho :(

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

As someone who took their boat off the market I can confirm it's past it's peak

Well paying white collar jobs getting the axe lately + interest rates for boats near 10% is going to soften the market considerably. Especially boats over 30' that need a slip at a marina. $350/mo + another $100/mo insurance to leave a boat on the market eats into any perceived "profit" real fast. A $50k boat might drop their list to $40k to move it at $36 just to get out from under the note on it (plus depreciation)

chiming in to say that I've been on the craigslist and yachtworld weekly-ish for the last few years, and boats are in freefall right now. This is usually the best time of year to boat shop anyway, but it feels like there's real value to be had as compared to the last few years were supply was tight and prices were inflated. Also a lot of :airquote: Good :airquote: boats have seemingly sat on the market for a while. I'm looking mostly in the SoCal area which seems to be its own little niche when it comes to boat availability and pricing FWIW

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I was running a 55' boat at dawn from Maine to Massachusetts and we came across a probably 25' long 12x12 timber barely floating. Thankfully it was just off to port and I could avoid it. We were doing 17 or 18 knots, and it would have wiped out the rudder and wheel for sure. I've also seen shipping containers floating at sea. Scary poo poo. A spotlight only goes so far...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

figures, i find a surprisingly nice, clean boat (Ericson 27) for $2k and the sellers can't find the title.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Pham Nuwen posted:

figures, i find a surprisingly nice, clean boat (Ericson 27) for $2k and the sellers can't find the title.

If they actually own it, they can request a replacement title from the state.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've seen some pretty impressive poo poo on the latest B&G solid state radar. Only works on perfectly flat, calm water but will pick up ducks and crab trap floats on the water 300'+ out. Not useful on the ocean most days but really impressive technology for basically a thousand bucks USD. If you get the full setup you can track those objects (ducks) and tell the autopilot to follow, or avoid more than 500' etc. Makes state of the art 1980s fighter jet technology look achievable to the consumer

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

wesleywillis posted:

Just curious, I've been looking at a Lund product thats *probably* about the equivalent product and its waay fuckin more expensive. I realize of course that even in normal times, the price for stuff goes up year after year, and it depends on how its optioned and whatnot, but holy gently caress the difference is crazy.

Is Lund "better"? I'm not trying to compete with him and be all like 'yo my poo poo is way better' I just want something comfortable that I'm going to (presumably) own for years without getting sick of it.
Yeah, boats got pretty nuts. I bought a used boat for ~40 in 2018 or 2019, and I probably could have re-sold it for 60+ in summer of 2021. I also bought a little camp boat and it was like an 8 month waiting list, and would have been longer if I wanted a motor. Seems to be getting a little more normal now. Seems like you can get some outboards for MSRP for instance.

And the camp boat I mentioned above is a Lund. It does seem like a significantly pricier brand than others but no idea if it's worth it. I bought one because it was the only manufacturer offering the configuration I wanted.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

sharkytm posted:

If they actually own it, they can request a replacement title from the state.

Yeah if they were asking for more money, or if the boat was shittier, I'd just walk away, but I'll probably ask them to fill out DMV form 227 and get a replacement title. If some other fool wants to give them money, all the better for my pocketbook.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Hadlock posted:

I've seen some pretty impressive poo poo on the latest B&G solid state radar. Only works on perfectly flat, calm water but will pick up ducks and crab trap floats on the water 300'+ out. Not useful on the ocean most days but really impressive technology for basically a thousand bucks USD. If you get the full setup you can track those objects (ducks) and tell the autopilot to follow, or avoid more than 500' etc. Makes state of the art 1980s fighter jet technology look achievable to the consumer

I'm giggling at the idea of a 50' boat stealthly shadowing a group of ducks from 100 yards out. New life goal.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Went and picked it up on Sunday. 2022 Abaco 14 Skiff in Ice Blue, just over 20 hours on it.

Took it out yesterday but it was pretty rough and windy. Handled it like a champ tho.

Once it gets nicer out we'll take it fishing and see how it does, hopefully it works out well.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

What are the pros and cons of a galvanized trailer vs painted trailer?

Painted trailer you can just rattle can when it starts to rust. At least on the outside.
Galvanized will resist rust longer, but you can't just touch up the stone chips with paint or whatever. Re-galvanizing isn't necessarily a practical solution probably.

I'm sure theres a ton of others.

Not being used in salt water if that makes a diff.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 12, 2023

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
In salt water, painted trailers last a year. Galvanized will last a decade. You don't need to worry about chips because the rest of the zinc coating will protect it. Not in salt water? I'd still go galvanized.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
I've got a neighbor who is offering to teach me to sail, and says I can have his 16' or 25' sailboat. I just refreshed my Boat US safety course, and I'm thinking about taking an ASA course or two, but I'm not sure if I should bother, or if it's basic enough that just relying on a friend showing me around for a couple weekends is enough. I'd welcome anyone's thoughts about learning, and also about whether it's better to get into a free 25' boat, or if 16' is just more approachable, given that both are in okay condition, but have been out of the water for a couple years. Any advice?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The chances of you taking a 16' boat out for a joy ride on a sunny day after work are significantly higher than the other boat

You can replace any major system on the 16' boat for $150, whereas it's going to be about $1000 to replace a system on the larger boat

Women always prefer to go on a larger boat though. Two adults will just barely fit on a 16'

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

25 is a perfect day sailer/overnighter length.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah 25-27' is the sweet spot. Just big enough you can bring a giant cooler full of beer, but also put a flush toilet on there and sleep 4, plus hang a charcoal grill off the back, and go camping on it for three days,

AND everything is light weight enough that if/when it breaks, it won't break the bank. Plus you can haul it on a trailer with a regular truck

Once you get to 30 feet everything gets big and heavy and literally doubles in cost

Express 27/Santa Cruz 27/ J/80 are all fantastic boats that sold really well and most are still on the water today. J/80 over 1600 were built and there's basically zero for sale on the market despite not being much faster than a j/24. The 34' version of the J/80, the J/105 is literally double the price

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This thread kinda always makes me sad that I didn't get a boat and go do boat things (something stupid like sailing around the world maybe) when I was younger and my body wasn't old and breaking down.

Now I still want a boat to do boat things, but being honest with myself and my physical condition, it would need to be something like a Bering 75 with air conditioning and a paid captain/crew.

Still cool to see goons buying boats and having fun.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

wzm posted:

I've got a neighbor who is offering to teach me to sail, and says I can have his 16' or 25' sailboat. I just refreshed my Boat US safety course, and I'm thinking about taking an ASA course or two, but I'm not sure if I should bother, or if it's basic enough that just relying on a friend showing me around for a couple weekends is enough. I'd welcome anyone's thoughts about learning, and also about whether it's better to get into a free 25' boat, or if 16' is just more approachable, given that both are in okay condition, but have been out of the water for a couple years. Any advice?

Sail what ever he will take you out in. Do that as much as possible before you agree to accept any sort of responsibility.

The 16' is going to be a whole lot easier to re-commission and then launch for an afternoon. I've got a 22' Catalina and it is relatively easy to rig and launch, but it is work and every additional foot of mast feels longer than the one before it.
If you're totally green the 16' will probably make you a better sailor faster, and the 25' will teach you a lot more about boat maintenance, trailer loading and hauling, project management, marine electrics and engines.

Karma Comedian posted:

25 is a perfect day sailer/overnighter length.

If you want to sail that 25' you will probably want to keep it in a slip and depending on where you live that might be somewhere between kinda expensive and impossible.

Anyways, sailing is fun and cool and if you're interested you should 100% give it a shot. Either through your neighbor, or things like sailing clubs in your area. And :justpost: about it.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

The Locator posted:

This thread kinda always makes me sad that I didn't get a boat and go do boat things (something stupid like sailing around the world maybe) when I was younger and my body wasn't old and breaking down.

Now I still want a boat to do boat things, but being honest with myself and my physical condition, it would need to be something like a Bering 75 with air conditioning and a paid captain/crew.

Still cool to see goons buying boats and having fun.

Not going to lie, I buy my lotto tickets and daydream about going on a grand adventure, but still find a lot of satisfaction in working on my little boat and sailing around a mud puddle. That said, owning isn't the only way to enjoy boat stuff. What I spend on this hobby (even sailing econo) would pay for a lot of sunset, dinner, sightseeing cruises- the better of which usually let me steer the boat.

Hope you do some boating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

monsterzero posted:

Not going to lie, I buy my lotto tickets and daydream about going on a grand adventure, but still find a lot of satisfaction in working on my little boat and sailing around a mud puddle. That said, owning isn't the only way to enjoy boat stuff. What I spend on this hobby (even sailing econo) would pay for a lot of sunset, dinner, sightseeing cruises- the better of which usually let me steer the boat.

Hope you do some boating.

I actually crewed on a racing sailboat in my teens, and spent many weeks on Lake Powell and other lakes in Arizona as a youngster on my parents 24' Tollycraft. As an older dude in my 40's I used to go to San Diego and sail on all the various tall ships in their Festival of Sail they used to do every Labor Day weekend. I also spent a bunch of weekends sailing a dingy in the puddle called Tempe Town Lake a decade or so ago, so I've spent some solid time boating. I just never did the big adventure like say the SV Delos adventure which I kinda wish I'd done, but we don't get to live life over.

Other than as a passenger I am pretty sure my sailing days are over, as I'm just not physically up to it. Hell, some days it's a painful exercise just to walk around my place, but I think I'd love actually living on a boat and changing my view on a regular basis. But yeah.. lottery winning dreams :)