Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

haldolium posted:

also I want to have kids with the graphics people, lighting and volumetrics and most other FX looks just amazing, art design was already always one of the best in games. Kinda ironic given how the Dead Space inspired Calisto Protocol just failed so hard on that front (and apparently on everything else too given the reviews)

Callisto Protocol isn't as atmospheric as DSR but it still looks good, technical issues aside. It's a discordant experience playing something that displays its $160 million budget while everything else about it is middling to bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Up to level 5 suit / master override on Impossible. All in all, as a 2nd run it’s pretty drat easy once you know what you’re doing and what the spooky parts are. Outside of maybe 3 instances where I got through a few encounters a little too bloodied that I went back to the main menu and redo I haven’t actually needed to cheat death more than once (loving torpedo room). I should be able to wrap up this run tonight then it’s NG+ will all the impossible goodies to do a victory lap and finish the rest of the achiemvents.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I almost feel like I did myself a disservice by upgrading to the level 6 suit for NG+, on top of it just not comparing to the engineer suit aesthetic

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You can switch to one of the suits in storage and keep your upgrades I’m fairly certain

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah the only one I got in storage is the legacy DS1 suit

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Callisto Protocol isn't as atmospheric as DSR but it still looks good, technical issues aside. It's a discordant experience playing something that displays its $160 million budget while everything else about it is middling to bad.

never got the benchmark above 40 avg with heavy drops and already not-so-great looking visuals so I did not pursue it any further. Not really putting technical issues aside when technical presentation is the USP of a game.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I got some for preordering I guess, I haven’t actually put them on just moused over the descriptions in the storage menu

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Dogen posted:

You can switch to one of the suits in storage and keep your upgrades I’m fairly certain

Then there's that guy that forced into the suit thingie and died in a most gruesome fashion.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Plan R posted:

Then there's that guy that forced into the suit thingie and died in a most gruesome fashion.

are you talking about the audio log in chapter 7, next to the defunct store?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Listen, that’s just the risk you run changing clothes in future dystopia- some maniac or monster could shove you in the suit kiosk during a changing cycle, that’s the price you pay for convenience and low prices and mad science

(I think that log is on the hunter origin side quest but I’m not sure)

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

actionjackson posted:

are you talking about the audio log in chapter 7, next to the defunct store?

Yes, it's part of one of the side quests.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dogen posted:

Listen, that’s just the risk you run changing clothes in future dystopia- some maniac or monster could shove you in the suit kiosk during a changing cycle, that’s the price you pay for convenience and low prices and mad science

(I think that log is on the hunter origin side quest but I’m not sure)

I appreciate that the machine is aware that it may not be safe and cause injury but not enough to stop it from trying to function and mangle someone in the process. It fits perfectly within the world presented.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
200 years ago they used to have catheters. I wonder if they still do and most importantly if the size of the catheter increases with the level of your suit like your armor does, you know, for comfort level.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Plan R posted:

What is this?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

jokes posted:

What is this?

As noted you can find it on the hunter side mission thing.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I think an impossible run might be something of a paper tiger. It sounds daunting but the difficulty isn't higher than hard. Just have to avoid instagibs, conserve ammo and health, and aim to take as little damage as possible.

I'm thinking force gun / flamethrower, line gun, and plasma cutter can do it for me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

toasterwarrior posted:

I almost feel like I did myself a disservice by upgrading to the level 6 suit for NG+, on top of it just not comparing to the engineer suit aesthetic

Yeah, I hope they patch in a way for us to wear the older suits because the LVL6 suit is loving ugly (it was better in the original, but still bad) and I feel like I'm wearing the armor from Crysis. Right now I'm just rocking the DLC armor that's just the model from the original game, but it's lacking detail. I really want my LVL5 suit back...

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Just finished up run 2 and got the secret ending

This poo poo's the platonic ideal of a remake

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hilario Baldness posted:

I think an impossible run might be something of a paper tiger. It sounds daunting but the difficulty isn't higher than hard. Just have to avoid instagibs, conserve ammo and health, and aim to take as little damage as possible.

I'm thinking force gun / flamethrower, line gun, and plasma cutter can do it for me.

Isn't Impossible harder for health and ammo too? Or is it really just Ironman Hard?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

Isn't Impossible harder for health and ammo too? Or is it really just Ironman Hard?

i don't think so

i was thinking about trying it, but I just died and it turns out you can't just pause the game to reload your save anytime before the screen goes black. you have to be REALLY quick, i.e. the instant you flatline.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

It’s listed as Ironman hard and being almost dine with it, yeah it’s just as easy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Having done my own run of it, interestingly even drops seem to be the same which is kind of disappointing! I miss Zealot/Impossible proper, having a difficulty that was technically harder than the hardcore permadeath mode was a fun aspect of Dead Space 2/3, which were balanced around Survivalist and Hard respectively.

Here was my inventory going into the finale of Impossible, none of that is bought. I skipped the level 5 suit just like back in the day and it worked out really well! Didn't even have to sell Peng this time around!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 4, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ah, lame on all counts. I thought it was going to be an ultra hard challenge mode, but if it's just Ironman Hard then I don't really see any need to do it, especially with as many insta-death spots as there is.

Oh well, I guess my DS2 replay is coming one playthough faster after I finish NG+ Hard.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah I'll say they legitimately succeeded in revitalizing hype for the series in that after this I'm probably going to replay DS2 lol

Job well done by the devs

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

haldolium posted:

also I want to have kids with the graphics people, lighting and volumetrics and most other FX looks just amazing, art design was already always one of the best in games. Kinda ironic given how the Dead Space inspired Calisto Protocol just failed so hard on that front (and apparently on everything else too given the reviews)

Nah, you can criticize Callisto for a lot, but it is stunningly gorgeous both on a tech level and design level. There are some really nice visual designs for different areas.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

god drat i am so bad at aiming at those tentacle weak points with the plasma cutter, especially when upside down

I'm so confused, I just finished NG+ but got the same ending as NG? I looked up the NG+ one and i did not get that at all

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 4, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I keep trying to empty my guns before upgrading their capacity but unfortunately I have a medical condition that requires me to reload at every still moment so I've yet to actually pull it off.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

actionjackson posted:

god drat i am so bad at aiming at those tentacle weak points with the plasma cutter, especially when upside down

I'm so confused, I just finished NG+ but got the same ending as NG? I looked up the NG+ one and i did not get that at all

You need to do something special to trigger it, I haven't looked up what yet. The marker fragments are new on NG+ so I assume it must involve those at least, not sure if there's something else you need to do besides collecting them all.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You need to do something special to trigger it, I haven't looked up what yet. The marker fragments are new on NG+ so I assume it must involve those at least, not sure if there's something else you need to do besides collecting them all.

Collect 12 marker fragments then go to the captains quarters and there is a prompt on the table to put them there, then beat the game.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

ah ok, that's really confusing, all I've read is that NG+ has an alternate ending. so i assume that meant that you got that ending when you beat NG+

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Should probably put a spoiler over that for anyone trying to figure it out themselves.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

Nah, you can criticize Callisto for a lot, but it is stunningly gorgeous both on a tech level and design level. There are some really nice visual designs for different areas.

I don't know that I'd even call Callisto a bad game per se, just that it was disappointing since I paid full retail for it. Basically my feelings for RE3R.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I missed most of it because Nvidia had to update for the 45th time this week and didnt have recording on, but I made a little "oopsie" with my line gun alt fire and accidentally made a unicorn from hell that was charging at me with a beam of death.

https://i.imgur.com/Bq3CF6e.mp4

e. The Infected DLC suit looks hilarious during talking parts

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 4, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Callisto is actually more impressive looking than Dead Space from a graphical standpoint I think. And the designs are really good. At least where I am 1/3rd of the way through it, it fails in the spectacle department though. Just so many unremarkable, non-descript hallways.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Issac’s never looked better!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Callisto's alien goop looks nastier than DSR's alien goop, and the toilets aren't even a contest.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm actually looking forward to picking TCP back up after I've exhausted Dead Space. I bought it 3 days before DSR came out cause I'm an idiot lol. I was having fun with it. DSR is just wayyyy better though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah the skin on the not-Clickers is both stunning and just so gross and unsettling.

But yes, I’d agree that Callisto’s biggest sin is just being kind of mediocre in everything except visuals and sound. I liked it enough that I’ll probably still get the story DLC.

I’d recommend most people to wait for a sale on whatever ultimate edition winds up packaging the base game and DLC together, but it’s not really the kind of train wreck it’s getting painted as. I have a hunch that if it had launched with its current difficulty tweaks, journalists wouldn’t have been so scathing.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's just largely an incomplete game. The main story is like ten hours long. There isn't enough variety of enemies or scenarios.

With the DLC content, it could maybe be a complete game worthy of the hype that it generated, but right now it ain't that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CuddleCryptid posted:

e. The Infected DLC suit looks hilarious during talking parts

Holy poo poo, lmao