Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If the Ishimura goes full Gurren Lagann and turns into a mech which lets you boot stomp a moon which also happens to be a necromorph mech then I think you’re on to something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jokes posted:

You can use a repurposed industrial tool to do it.

Hey, in the first Dead Space, didn't we interact in some way with an industrial tool whose original purpose was to mine planets? If I recall correctly it was also super old, and likely was going to be scuttled soon. If I recall correctly, the Ishimura was present in a TON of marketing, and was playable in 1 and 2. Hm, probably nothing.

Alternatively, they could have the humans build The Big Boot for stomping zombie moons.

Yeah the buildup to using the Ishimurs to murder a moon was so prevalent that it should absolutely have been fired.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also, the whole "old space ship proves to be the best, grittiest tool for the job" trope was in full effect, as Dead Space 1 launched right as Battlestar Galactica was peaking

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Jacob Danik has the opportunity to kill Isaac and his crew on at least three separate occasions but he can't stop with his dumb Bond villain monologues. They should remake 3 and cut him from the game entirely (also Norton).

In the encounter my avatar is from, Isaac throws a grenade right at Danik's feet and the man just like comically skedaddles away from it. Visceral thought he was so cool they refused to kill him and that's why Dead Space 3 still kind of rules. It's about a bunch of self-absorbed assholes running out of time to stop humanity's end, because they just can not stop bickering about their own personal emotional and relationship drama, all the while the villain just walks RIGHT on past them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they technically stop the villians plan until the DLC which is like nope none of that poo poo mattered

Veotax
May 16, 2006

If the plan is to remake all three games, assuming this is a big enough success, I wonder how they'll handle Dead Space 3. It's so much of a departure from the first two, and not well thought of to boot, do they just completely reimagine it to make it closer to 1 & 2 instead of a faithful remake?
Drop the weapon crafting with microtransaction hooks? Drop the co-op?

Make an entirely different game instead that ignores it entirely?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

jokes posted:

Also, the whole "old space ship proves to be the best, grittiest tool for the job" trope was in full effect, as Dead Space 1 launched right as Battlestar Galactica was peaking

I mean, the whole series seemed like it should lead to the Ishimura using its planet cracking capabilities on a necromorph moon. Considering they rebuilt the thing in the second game I can't see where else they would go with that.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Veotax posted:

If the plan is to remake all three games, assuming this is a big enough success, I wonder how they'll handle Dead Space 3. It's so much of a departure from the first two, and not well thought of to boot, do they just completely reimagine it to make it closer to 1 & 2 instead of a faithful remake?

Make an entirely different game instead that ignores it entirely?

If i'm going full :tinfoil: for a moment, my read on the secret ending of the game is that they're going to remake 2, and then do a dead space: convergence or w/e they would do for the 4th game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arrrthritis posted:

I mean, the whole series seemed like it should lead to the Ishimura using its planet cracking capabilities on a necromorph moon. Considering they rebuilt the thing in the second game I can't see where else they would go with that.

If you apply enough nodes to the Ishimura, you can upgrade it to apply a burning effect on a necromorph moon on hit.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Veotax posted:

Keep the paid DLC that makes resource bots talk in a British accent.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

jokes posted:

If you apply enough nodes to the Ishimura, you can upgrade it to apply a burning effect on a necromorph moon on hit.

The Ishimura's secondary fire is just garbage, all it does is spray my crew members out in random directions and now i'm out of crew :(

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I have to admit I wouldn’t mind an Alien 3 style alteration to Dead Space 3 because the setting and overarching plot were really good.

While it’s far from the only issue with the game, having such a wide variety of customisable weapons seems like a good idea on the surface but you inevitably end up with a few optimal configurations while the rest is absolute poo poo.

Much better to have a few well thought out weapons in my opinion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I assume the main reason they changed so little in 1 is because it was so beloved while they did change the small parts people did dislike.

So I imagine the same philosophy would apply to 2 and three just with different ratios

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Jacob Danik has the opportunity to kill Isaac and his crew on at least three separate occasions but he can't stop with his dumb Bond villain monologues. They should remake 3 and cut him from the game entirely (also Norton).

Controversial opinion: I think Norton could have worked, even as the co-op partner instead of that other guy (especially if they keep the concept of one player suffering hallucinations the other doesn't), but only if they gave him an inferiority complex with regards to Isaac, and also if they made Isaac and Ellie's breakup amicable. Norton is a regular grunt after all, and now he thinks he's got to compete with the Isaac Clarke, Marker Killer™ and his ex's very recent boyfriend. Now he's a regular guy, and under normal circumstances he'd normally be able to keep things under control. But the Marker signal's messing with his head; no matter how much Isaac and Ellie reassure him that they aren't a thing anymore, he loses it more and more until The Confrontation, whereupon Isaac just stasis's Norton until he calms down, and then cue the bonding moment where Isaac (who's familiar with Marker fuckery) helps a bro out. They finally talk things over like actual adults, we get catharsis, and we never have to deal with a stupid love triangle in the first place.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arrrthritis posted:

The Ishimura's secondary fire is just garbage, all it does is spray my crew members out in random directions and now i'm out of crew :(

When you're low on crew, the intensity director hatches a new batch of them nearby

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I assume the main reason they changed so little in 1 is because it was so beloved while they did change the small parts people did dislike.

So I imagine the same philosophy would apply to 2 and three just with different ratios

3 would honestly be much, much improved if they:
1) Remove any non-necromorph enemy from the game
2) Make the 2nd player a hallucination of Isaac

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Beat impossible mode with no deaths, completely legitimate.

It's a paper tiger achievement. Just invest heavily in line gun, suit, plasma cutter (and lotta ammo for final boss especially), and force gun. Make sure to avoid the wall guys when you encounter them.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
huh it's cool the alternative ending also changes some other things in the last chapter, before the ending cutscene

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hilario Baldness posted:

Beat impossible mode with no deaths, completely legitimate.

It's a paper tiger achievement. Just invest heavily in line gun, suit, plasma cutter (and lotta ammo for final boss especially), and force gun. Make sure to avoid the wall guys when you encounter them.

did you do any quit outs (not just on death, but if you were in trouble)? if not congrats that's pretty amazing

i'm at the start of chapter 11 in mine (definitely used some quit-outs!). I have cutter and force gun and i'm getting little to no force gun ammo. I hate the end of chapter 10. force gun r1 is great for it as it even sucks in the hunter, but again no ammo. i find it's a decent alternative to the line gun mines if you just want to do one or the other.

if i finish this i'll be sure to suicide with the foam finger, thus following the gamer bushido code

edit: speaking of chapter 11, what happens if you go down the elevator, start everything, and then go back up? or does the elevator deactivate (I'm assuming so)

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 7, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I have to admit I wouldn’t mind an Alien 3 style alteration to Dead Space 3 because the setting and overarching plot were really good.

While it’s far from the only issue with the game, having such a wide variety of customisable weapons seems like a good idea on the surface but you inevitably end up with a few optimal configurations while the rest is absolute poo poo.

Much better to have a few well thought out weapons in my opinion.

i suspect we are gonna get 3 that borrows alot of plot elements but drops the love triangle poo poo and bad co-op implementation loot box poo poo.

we are defintently getting too, i wouldnt be shocked if we got a trailer in december or so.

CommissarMega posted:

Controversial opinion: I think Norton could have worked, even as the co-op partner instead of that other guy (especially if they keep the concept of one player suffering hallucinations the other doesn't), but only if they gave him an inferiority complex with regards to Isaac, and also if they made Isaac and Ellie's breakup amicable. Norton is a regular grunt after all, and now he thinks he's got to compete with the Isaac Clarke, Marker Killer™ and his ex's very recent boyfriend. Now he's a regular guy, and under normal circumstances he'd normally be able to keep things under control. But the Marker signal's messing with his head; no matter how much Isaac and Ellie reassure him that they aren't a thing anymore, he loses it more and more until The Confrontation, whereupon Isaac just stasis's Norton until he calms down, and then cue the bonding moment where Isaac (who's familiar with Marker fuckery) helps a bro out. They finally talk things over like actual adults, we get catharsis, and we never have to deal with a stupid love triangle in the first place.

. i agree with this post and think it could work, maybe make him have a dickish side but it starts coming out more and more, i think the biggest issue with norton is his nothingness is how badly his death is handled. like he gets domed in the head and then issac half assly tells ellie that buzzlight year aint flying no more and then she is angry for like 5 min.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 7, 2023

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

did you do any quit outs (not just on death, but if you were in trouble)? if not congrats that's pretty amazing

i'm at the start of chapter 11 in mine (definitely used some quit-outs!). I have cutter and force gun and i'm getting little to no force gun ammo. I hate the end of chapter 10. force gun r1 is great for it as it even sucks in the hunter, but again no ammo. i find it's a decent alternative to the line gun mines if you just want to do one or the other.

if i finish this i'll be sure to suicide with the foam finger, thus following the gamer bushido code

edit: speaking of chapter 11, what happens if you go down the elevator, start everything, and then go back up? or does the elevator deactivate (I'm assuming so)

If I started a section post-save and had an encounter where I either used ammo inappropriately or took damage where I could have avoided it I would occasionally do it. I think I maybe did it a total of like eight times tops, mostly towards the beginning of the game when I had no health. Later on when my health got bumped up I didn't have to do it much. I definitely did the respec of the suit to heal / restore my stasis a couple times

Pro tip: for the final boss, cut the arms off the explode-y arm dudes, save those explosive sacks at the back of the arena, then throw them at the boss' glowing interior sacks. I managed to get four of the five in two throws this way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Reading some of the devs statements it seems likely we will probably get DLC before we get anything involving a second game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Reading some of the devs statements it seems likely we will probably get DLC before we get anything involving a second game

like what kind?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CharlestheHammer posted:

A DLC that adapts Extraction would cool

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

like what kind?

Apparently they were pretty vague but suit related DLC was one of the solid examples given

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RatHat posted:

A DLC that adapts Extraction would cool

I want that and a remake of the mobile game.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

horde mode DLC pls

edit: here's some tips I found that are super helpful just from watching a few streams/vids

chapter 8: for the boss, shoot two of the three weak points only 15 times, not 16. shoot the last one 16 times, which destroys it. then you only have to do one shot each on the other two, thus greatly limiting the time you spend in that messy last phase

chapter 9: at the broken elevator near the start, try to activate it first so it spits out the bad battery. then go into the room, grab the power node on the other side, then go back in and grab the new battery and immediately take it through the door. then you can stick it in and escape without dealing with any enemies

chapter 10: in the first crew quarters, drag the battery all the way to the elevator and put it in before destroying the tendril. then when you destroy the tendril, you can just run past everything and escape

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 7, 2023

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

like what kind?

Isaac, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm not sure if I'll use it on Impossible but I found the flamethrower with just a few upgrades was great most of the game on hard. The game gave me a ton of ammo and while for smaller rooms the ripper was better if I had a bit of space to back up enemies running at me on fire wasn't an issue. It's even useful on the last boss for the parts where you're having to shoot things that aren't it. I like the ripper but for impossible I'd go with line gun/cutter/force gun probably.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I’ve seen some people say the Ripper is a lot worse on Hard/Impossible because enemies don’t stagger as easily

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Playing styles aren't 1:1 with the original Dead Space, but these were my notes comparing the two:

-Ripper, to me, wasn't poo poo compared to the original. At least not on impossible mode. The ricochet thing rarely ever worked in my favor. The blade didn't stun as much as I wanted it to and if there are groups I couldn't get all the guys stunned.

-Flamethrower is amazing compared to the original, thanks in part to the flame wall. Blocking parts of halls to make handling necromorphs in other sections was incredibly useful. Even so, barely used it on impossible because it couldn't kill poo poo quick enough.

-Force gun is, to me, the most improved weapon compared to the original. In the original it knocked guys around. It does that here, however, it also strips the flesh off necromorphs in the blast radius. Pair this with the plasma cutter and you can kill groups of necromorphs very quickly. I found myself blasting groups, then the thin little dudes would get up and one shot would take off a leg and another would take off an arm. It also stunned groups and when you had the fast guys you had a better shot of hitting their stasis module

-Line gun could could be the best if you're slick with the TK module. Throwing line gun traps on objects and using those objects to guide the trap beam is ridiculously powerful, but I could never get it quite right. The object would often get stuck on something and would be rendered inert. You can lay those line traps to limit movement and make shooting alleys

-Plasma cutter remains ole reliable. Ammo isn't too expensive and it can clip anything in the game.

-TK module also remains amazing if you're quick with finding metal rods. Metal rods with upgraded TK is pretty much a guaranteed one shot kill, then you can pull the blades off necromorphs to do decent damage. Not one shot kills, but decent damage.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok i finished impossible, never doing that poo poo ever again in a million years

my upside down aim is so bad i'm shocked i didn't die at the final boss qte

once you get the foam finger and suit you can just set it to whatever difficulty you want right?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

One thing I wish the wayfinder did was let you manually mark a waypoint on the map and let your wayfinder home in on it, I feel like DS 2 and 3 did something like that? I know DS 2 let you cycle your wayfinder between benches, stores, and other useful spots.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I wish you could set a custom waypoint in this game

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah I remember being able to cycle through stuff in it at will. Woulda been useful to have a custom waypoint in this game looking for the last few fuckin marker doodads.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i feel like the pew fires faster than the bang

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

One thing I wish the wayfinder did was let you manually mark a waypoint on the map and let your wayfinder home in on it, I feel like DS 2 and 3 did something like that? I know DS 2 let you cycle your wayfinder between benches, stores, and other useful spots.

DS2 and 3 let you set different objectives as your waypoint, which this game has. But it needs the ability to just set a random room as a waypoint because sometimes finding your way back to a previously locked door to find items can be a pain in the rear end.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

custom waypoints, automatic map indicators for security locked boxes, and returning DS2's feature where you can press the landing button midair to reorient yourself in zero-G are the only major features i really want added in some future patches

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Vermain posted:

returning DS2's feature where you can press the landing button midair to reorient yourself in zero-G

Isn't there this in DS1R? I think if you melee attack it sets you back to normal orientation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Isn't there this in DS1R? I think if you melee attack it sets you back to normal orientation

oh shoot, i must've missed that in the tutorial, thank you