Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh man Bryce is gonna be Kit Harrington sized.

Gonz posted:

I met Jay Feely years ago at a Cardinals draft party next to the stadium out in Glendale. We talked Michigan football for about ten minutes and I felt like the Big Show standing next to him.

He’s 5’10” and i’m just a smidge under 6’6”.

Yeah dude you’re a giant congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

Different types of players and he doesn't need to run to make his game work (plus he's just way better), but this made me think he's smaller than Pat White who just got erased out of the league in one hit.

There's no reason to believe he'd be the same, just, that's where my mind goes with smallish guys. That's the worry. On the other hand that guy seems to do everything in the world right other than being bigger than he is.

Yeah the pat white one is a concerned.

I hate the "bulk up" posts that come around draft time but if a dude ever needed a mass gaining program.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Unless Bryce Young has an absolutely godawful combine, I doubt he falls further than 4th. I still think he’s 1st overall (if someone in love with him trades up with the Bears), but if not, doesn’t get past Houston at 2.

Would Jim Irsay trade up three spots to draft Will Levis?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It hasn’t even been a week since the Super Bowl but the withdrawls have begun.

*gently scratches on neck*

Free agency begins on 3/15 and the combine is 2/28 to 3/6.

*repeatedly checks watch every 5 minutes; wipes sweat from brow*

C’mon, NFL. Hurry up. Hurry up. C’mon , maaaaaaaan.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Maybe Bryce was just standing in a hole for all those pictures

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
In what world does Tua need to run in order to be successful? That's a first.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

In what world does Tua need to run in order to be successful? That's a first.

I'm missing where Tua came into this conversation and I don't think we're talking about running QBs really other than me bringing one disastrous one up. And I was intending to just note worries about small frames rather than crap on their chances of succeeding.

All Tua has to do is survive and groove passes. The surviving part has been a problem this last year. /shrug

It's not like Tua's smol small either, he's just not 6'4". Bryce Young is a whole different deal of being a little guy.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 16, 2023

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

I'm missing where Tua came into this conversation and I don't think we're talking about running QBs really other than me bringing one disastrous one up. And I was intending to just note worries about small frames rather than crap on their chances of succeeding.

Worded and read awkwardly. My b. I see what you mean now. Edit And it’s a good point

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 16, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Gonz posted:

Would Jim Irsay trade up three spots to draft Will Levis?

He would and he Will :smug:

I don’t think there’s been any actual substantive reporting that colts prefer Levis over the other prospects but he’s huge and white so it seems like a match made in the Midwest.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Honestly CJ Stroud feels like the Ballard Draft pick.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Stroud is my guess but obviously Steichen just got in the door so they're gonna let him have input on who he wants as well.

But again, I figure if they fall in love with any of them they'll trade up. If they think that they can work with any of them and grade them at about the same level they'll stay where they are and pick whoever falls to them.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Steichen really is the wild card here. Ballard, we know he's a big measurables guy, so it's hard to imagine Bryce is his QB1. But if Steichen pounds the table for him, it could happen.

My prediction is that the Colts don't end up trading up, and take either Stroud or Levis at 4.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This crop of QB really seems like they're all similar tier with different flavors of profile and playstyle. I can see no team trading up and the Bears taking defense #1.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I do still think that Levis or Stroud will be who the Colts target. If it's Young then they can forget about that QB sneak that Steichen ran so well with Hurts.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Everytime Bryce is about to get sacked, he'll go come ahhhhhhnnnn I'm just a little guy

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dexo posted:

Honestly CJ Stroud feels like the Ballard Draft pick.

Agree. Accurate and 6'2

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Shane Steichen posted:

I think accuracy, decision making and the ability to create are the three things that I look at in a quarterback,. I think those all three things are very important but obviously, above the neck, the players that I've been around – Jalen Hurts, Justin Herbert and Philip Rivers, they all have one thing in common. They're obsessed with their craft. If you can find that in a quarterback, you'll probably have some success.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

This is how you evaluate quarterbacks.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

kiimo posted:

Agree. Accurate and 6'2

No. Stroud to Seattle :colbert:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Goons fighting over an Ohio State qb instead of going "lol Ohio State qbs"

The times have changed

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The times have changed

It's because Tom Brady retired and now Pat Mahomes is the NFL's sun sign.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Except Phil and Jalen both can't hit the broadside of a barn and were consistently bailed out by all world talent around them

BlindSite posted:

I really like him from what I've seen and don't give much of a poo poo about his size. Couple years in an nfl program and he'll either make it or he won't.

I mean who's the last first round qb that died from injuries and not being complete dogshit? Cam after almost a decade? Sam Bradford? Rg3 when his knee completely detonated?

None of those guys were as a result of their frame.

Baker and Kyler both have had their careers derailed by consistent injuries. Russ also is doing really bad because of all the injuries he's picked up. I think it's more indicative of running a lot rather than size though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The times have changed

Using schools as a reason not to draft someone rather than looking at different coaches that coached these players thankfully died out. That's why.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Doltos posted:

Except Phil and Jalen both can't hit the broadside of a barn and were consistently bailed out by all world talent around them

Your Phillip Rivers is actually bad take might be the strangest yet

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

He's at least been consistent on this.

Kind of like Phil always consistently more accurate than Eli

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
consistently less rings too

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Not sure what that has to do with his accuracy but go off

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

consistently less rings too

One of them had to play for the Chargers

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Nodoze posted:

One of them had to play for the Chargers

Charging to irrelevance.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

One thing we can all agree on: Dawand Jones is big

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Yeah it does seem strange especially when coming from the viewpoint of someone who never watches film and looks at stats instead

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Tom Brady made a deal with the devil that for every child Phillip Rivers sires, Brady gets a ring. Phil made the opposite deal.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Doltos posted:

Using schools as a reason not to draft someone rather than looking at different coaches that coached these players thankfully died out. That's why.

Just surprised at the change this year. Goons seemed to be the only ones keeping that alive

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Too many goons either won or lost fantasy games based on Justin Fields putting up disgustingly huge points this past year

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kiimo posted:

Too many goons either won or lost fantasy games based on Justin Fields putting up disgustingly huge points this past year

Must have hurts not to have hurts :agesilaus:

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

ShakeZula posted:

My prediction is that the Colts don't end up trading up, and take either Stroud or Levis at 4.

This might work if the Bears value Carter/Anderson above a cache of picks, but if Chicago's willing to drop below 4, I don't think the Colts can risk someone sniping the Cardinals pick too and leaving them with Richardson as the best QB available when their pick rolls around

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

xbilkis posted:

This might work if the Bears value Carter/Anderson above a cache of picks, but if Chicago's willing to drop below 4, I don't think the Colts can risk someone sniping the Cardinals pick too and leaving them with Richardson as the best QB available when their pick rolls around

I still think the cardinals are just as likely to be a trade candidate as the bears.

Their roster is low key poo poo for how cash poor they are and this year's already going to be a push with a new coach and no QB for a chunk of the year.

If ever someone needed to get cheap young guys and had a clear path to do it...

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah, cards should try and get the biggest package they can. Heck maybe even try trading down again.

2023 is a lost season anyway. Plan for 2024.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm skeptical that there's going to be that much activity past the point where Young and Stroud are off the board. Like, are the Panthers going to pay what it takes to move up to 3 just to snipe Will Levis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ShakeZula posted:

I'm skeptical that there's going to be that much activity past the point where Young and Stroud are off the board. Like, are the Panthers going to pay what it takes to move up to 3 just to snipe Will Levis?

Like in all draft things I suspect we'll know more after the combine and interviews. Someone might really fall in love with Levis and he at least looks the part, maybe Bryce annoys teams in interviews or shows up at 5'5" and 150 lbs (hyberbole here, it won't be that bad).

We're all just kinda speculating at this point, the combine for better or worse is when things start getting real.