Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Cerv posted:

I don't think that even my mum - who religiously watches literally every crime drama on broadcast TV including repeats of Miss Marple she's seen 100 times - is interested in "Death in Paradise but we've replaced the show's USP with Devon".

has there ever been such a pointless spin-off?

I was unaware Devon claimed Looe overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Death in paradise's appeal for me is that you get to see an aging sitcom actor who hasn't been on tv in a while star very gentle procedual show.

Its kinda similar to Doc Martin but with murders and nicer palm trees. They should do a crossover imo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wanted to like DIP but the pace was killing me, I assumed it was a half hour show for some reason and when I saw the runtime after waiting for the episode to end and there still being like 20 minutes left, I bailed on it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

They should do a crossover imo.

only if Martin Clunes is horribly murdered in the first five minutes, I can't stand him

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
In this week's Apprentice there was a scene where Avi and Rochelle were speaking to some guy and he had a megaphone.
At the end of the scene, suddenly Avi had his megaphone

It was so weird, like they'd been approached by security during a scene where they used a megaphone (who took it off them and gave it back at the end)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I liked Death in Paradise when it was the silly boy from My Family.

And Danny John-Jules, of course.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

Death in paradise's appeal for me is that you get to see an aging sitcom actor who hasn't been on tv in a while star very gentle procedual show.

Its kinda similar to Doc Martin but with murders and nicer palm trees. They should do a crossover imo.

There should be a word for the very mild pleasure you get from watching Death In Paradise/Midsomer Murders/Grantchesterand playing spot-the-actor on it.

The shows are basically 40% pretty scenery, 20% incredibly implausible murder, 40% going on an IMDB hunt for the actor playing the dodgy businessman with a trophy wife who got murdered using a rare poison derived from a tropical frog. You then discover that you recognise him from an episode of Taggart aired in 1998 in which he was a druggie who got stabbed and thrown in the River Clyde, an episode of Endeavour in which he was a minor gangster who got shot in a seedy nightclub, an episode of Vera where he was an ex soldier who got beaten to death, etc etc.

There are several hundred actors in the UK who make a living out of getting murdered on police procedural shows and I salute them for the contribution they make to society.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I am not ashamed to admit I play this very game.

If they're Scottish, Taggart is of course an excellent place to start. English I tend to start guessing on The Bill or Hollyoaks.

Doctors is a good guess for anyone.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Death in Paradise is my go to easy TV. It's the perfect level of compelling to allow you to engage as much or as little as you want without ever inducing any feelings of stress or anxiety about what's happening on screen, and it's got pretty scenery and fun characters and absolutely no-one is going to want to dissect it with me when I get to work on Monday morning. The perfect casual entertainment for when I'm feeling down.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Red Oktober posted:

I am not ashamed to admit I play this very game.

If they're Scottish, Taggart is of course an excellent place to start. English I tend to start guessing on The Bill or Hollyoaks.

Doctors is a good guess for anyone.

Everyone's been on doctors.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All this talk of murdering has got me thinking of rewatching Foyles War which I absolutely adored at the time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If you want to get into the BBC writing pool, they ask you for a Doctors spec script.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

If you want to get into the BBC writing pool, they ask you for a Doctors spec script.

I actually have a friend who got into the writing pool by submitting a Doctors spec script that was an existing Doctors script they had just replaced the name of the illness in.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

only if Martin Clunes is horribly murdered in the first five minutes, I can't stand him

That’s how they dealt with. Ben Miller’s character, so it’s a possibility!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Taear posted:

In this week's Apprentice there was a scene where Avi and Rochelle were speaking to some guy and he had a megaphone.
At the end of the scene, suddenly Avi had his megaphone

It was so weird, like they'd been approached by security during a scene where they used a megaphone (who took it off them and gave it back at the end)

lol that was a great episode. the middle-aged lady who was confused and a bit frightened because they hadn't explained to their punters that they were paying for an immersive experience in a prison

"i thought we were getting a history tour and magician show?" :(

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
also i'd say you're spot on about that man either being a security guard or just someone who happens to live/work nearby who was fed up listening to an idiot bellowing on a loudspeaker all day

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
also i heard joaquin phoenix got started as a depressed teenager on children's ward

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Listening to the latest Chartmusic podcast and Taylor Parkes’ continuing tales of horror of subjecting himself to 70s telly continued to amuse. This time: the Australian remake of Love Thy Neighbour. It initially sounds like they tried to be less overtly racist than the original but did this by simply removing any diversity from the cast entirely so the ‘culture’ clash instead comes from a feeble whinging pom ex-pat who’s move to Oz next door to Regular Aussie Man. Hijinks ensue, etc. Apparently there was also an Aussie remake of Are You Being Served - I dread to think…

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"My Wombat is dripping wet Mr Peacock!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It was wild seeing Doc Brown turn up in Andor

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah, that show had a lot of pleasantly surprising casting. Mon Mothma's husband being played by the guy from Monarch of the Glen for instance.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

E: I'm dumb :v:

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Up to the shopping list episode of the apprentice in Brighton. It's 2023, and they aren't allowed to Google what something is? But they can ask random people if they've heard of something? So why can't they ask a random passer by to look something up? I know it's a game show, but this sort of manufactured drama is just ridiculous. They could at least be upfront with the rules to us. And then Karen and Tim are sneering and looking down their noses at them for not knowing what a loving trug is? And faffing around about saving 50p on a £2 record. Was the show always like this? I could have sworn it used to be more sensible.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Austen Tassletine posted:

Up to the shopping list episode of the apprentice in Brighton. It's 2023, and they aren't allowed to Google what something is? But they can ask random people if they've heard of something? So why can't they ask a random passer by to look something up? I know it's a game show, but this sort of manufactured drama is just ridiculous. They could at least be upfront with the rules to us. And then Karen and Tim are sneering and looking down their noses at them for not knowing what a loving trug is? And faffing around about saving 50p on a £2 record. Was the show always like this? I could have sworn it used to be more sensible.

The treasure hunt task has always made no sense.
It's fun though

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Austen Tassletine posted:

It was always exactly like that. Haha look at these cunts who don't know what a cloche is or the best shop to buy a loving top hat. Clearly they'll never run a successful business.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I've always been surprised that you didn't have more people try to game that task.

My understanding is that they must get a discount on the item they buy, hence haggling for 1p off a £2 item. But there's also a thing where if you don't manage to get the item at all, you get charged at the price it should have cost.

So why bother getting the cheap items, just get the biggest discount you can on the expensive stuff.

Though I did like it when they did this task in a market I Marrakesh. That's a place where real haggling takes place.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tsietisin posted:

I've always been surprised that you didn't have more people try to game that task.

My understanding is that they must get a discount on the item they buy, hence haggling for 1p off a £2 item. But there's also a thing where if you don't manage to get the item at all, you get charged at the price it should have cost.

So why bother getting the cheap items, just get the biggest discount you can on the expensive stuff.

Though I did like it when they did this task in a market I Marrakesh. That's a place where real haggling takes place.

At least in the past it'd be random amounts so you couldn't really game it. Like "at least £50 or what we feel it's worth" which makes you not want to get fined for ANYTHING
This year they just went "yep it's £50 per item" although I guess the contestants didn't know that. Also big deals about them being late? Also ignored this time

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

crispix posted:

lol that was a great episode. the middle-aged lady who was confused and a bit frightened because they hadn't explained to their punters that they were paying for an immersive experience in a prison

"i thought we were getting a history tour and magician show?" :(

oh my god I loved that moment so much, absolutely nothing but respect for how Simba threw himself into that role but had nowhere to go.

[angry]IT'S NOT WHAT YOU EXPECTED??

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Been watching Pottery Throw-Down and it's been mellow, with good vibes all around. I think they should change the format so that after episode 6 or so nobody gets eliminated and they just hang out and make art.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

fischtick posted:

Been watching Pottery Throw-Down and it's been mellow, with good vibes all around. I think they should change the format so that after episode 6 or so nobody gets eliminated and they just hang out and make art.

YES I agree. No more eliminations. Just have people make art and that one judge weep because the beautiful plate touched his soul. I love him.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

HopperUK posted:

YES I agree. No more eliminations. Just have people make art and that one judge weep because the beautiful plate touched his soul. I love him.

I love Keith Brymer-Jones. One minute he's having a little weep over the beauty of a porcelain teacup decorated in the Rococco style, the next he is lumbering around the room, cheerfully grabbing wonky bowls made during the Timed Challenge and roaring "THAT'S A BIT RUBBISH!" as he smacks the misshapen clay into his Bucket of Failures.

He is a man of contrasts and strong emotions.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

The_Doctor posted:

It was wild seeing Doc Brown turn up in Andor

He has one of the most eclectic careers ever, it’s brilliant. Given his interview on Parenting Hell, it was probably a longer approval process to do CBeebies Bedtime Story than Andor as well.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Irisi posted:

I love Keith Brymer-Jones. One minute he's having a little weep over the beauty of a porcelain teacup decorated in the Rococco style, the next he is lumbering around the room, cheerfully grabbing wonky bowls made during the Timed Challenge and roaring "THAT'S A BIT RUBBISH!" as he smacks the misshapen clay into his Bucket of Failures.

When your art medium of choice has a random and non-zero chance of exploding even if you do everything right, it must impart a certain level of stoic realism and miraculous appreciation.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Taear posted:

At least in the past it'd be random amounts so you couldn't really game it. Like "at least £50 or what we feel it's worth" which makes you not want to get fined for ANYTHING
This year they just went "yep it's £50 per item" although I guess the contestants didn't know that. Also big deals about them being late? Also ignored this time

The apprentice is always dumb but the late penalty fee this year was quidditch level "The point system makes no sense". If you were missing more than 2 items you would have been better off just fobbing off the time limit and working until whatever hour getting all the items. If the penalty is the same for being 1 minute late vs over an hour what's the point?

Similarly with the lunchbox task. The team who "won" missed the brief and designed a lunchbox for the wrong age range. The "losing" team met the brief but got no orders. Obviously, it will never happen but I would love to see this taken to it's logical conclusion where a team completely disregards Alan's task and do their own thing. I would also murder for someone to run this marketing campaign on any of the "Desgin X for children" tasks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNuuiydKlI0&t=75s
Complete with accusing Sugar of being a baby when he doesn't like it.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 28, 2023

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Irisi posted:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tea Bone posted:

Complete with accusing Sugar of being a baby when he doesn't like it.

I still really remember the guy who had the idea of "plan weddings online" and Sugar thought it was absolute insanity, like they'd suggested creating a website that sold teapots made of ice
It was so loving baffling and it really made it stick that Sugar has no loving clue about the modern world

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
this series of the apprentice has delivered imo

men's skincare product

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Oh it's a snake. i thought it was oozing out of a screw.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Some Blackadder rear end alchemy going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Their pivot wasn't ambitious enough imo, instead of calling it "double concentrated" they should've marketed it as Frankenstein face paint in a novelty dildo, John Lewis would've been all over it.