Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

He simply isn't allowed to do anything cool without immediately sabotaging himself. Those are the rules.

That said, I hope Elka pulls this off and Duane gives her some sincere praise cause dang does she deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
He most likely sees her as the Crescan equivalent of the Third Option.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

there's Du-ann moments and then there's Dwayne moments

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

After doing something completely badass, usually Duane waits until at least the next page before saying something that makes him come across as a total buffoon, lol.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Or he's just giving her poo poo to get her out of her head and get her to do the job. He's not always the worst.

He's often the worst though, so flip a coin.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Duane's buffonery/badassery managing to completely overshadow a Frummagem ensuring she has a fair price for the boots that will save her life.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
An extremely good price for the boots, probably.

Finished my reread. I'm more sympathetic to Quigs after reading everything through at once. He's still terrible, but I hope he survives and has to do the best he can to make it up to Matty. And Duane telling him that he'd have done the same hits pretty powerfully when you're reading the pages immediately after each other.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Definitely more than what she paid for the boots in the first place. A Frummagem always know who's gots the leverage.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Rather elegantly done. :3:

otoh, duane getting hungry as night falls

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I've lost track what's the significance of her losing her little brooch thing

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I've lost track what's the significance of her losing her little brooch thing

I think that's just a slightly misdirected shot of Duane reaching down to chomp on some delicious human meats, but I suppose it's possible there's some symbolism of her moving from Basically Normal Peaceguard to really fighting for a better Cresce and also her horniness for Emil working out.

or if ashley feels like being a particularly weird rear end in a top hat, elka will need her peaceguard badge for something except it's still lying on the ground where she flayed a dead vliegeng and saved a bunch of lives

Oh actually, no, I think I've got a better symbolism pitch: remember all the way back in ch1 when Duane reached down to a Crescian badge in the wandering root and was p much horrified by the implications? This is a mirror of that, except now he is fighting with Crescian officers against basically the worst things and people on the continent. at risk of coming up with way too blunt an observation, he's reaching past the badge for delicious human meats

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Chapter 1 Duane would never have aided the Crescans against his countrymen for any reason.

Chapter 17 Duane just taught a Crescan soldier how to quickly dismantle one of Alderode's biggest military advantages remotely, using a far easier (and easily transmitted) method than previously employed, undermining not just Alderode in aggregate (his mortal allegiance) but specifically fellow adherents of the religious doctrine (a more intimate, presumably immortal relationship) that shapes his life and values.

Character arcs!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
It's "easy" when you're a tacit-casting zombie that can fling spells between grains of sand, but I don't know how reliable this method is for ordinary mortals.

They can probably defend against it as well by using composite harnesses, much like when wards were discussed a few chapters back as using proprietary alloy blends. Just more expensive that way.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

isndl posted:

It's "easy" when you're a tacit-casting zombie that can fling spells between grains of sand, but I don't know how reliable this method is for ordinary mortals.

They can probably defend against it as well by using composite harnesses, much like when wards were discussed a few chapters back as using proprietary alloy blends. Just more expensive that way.

Yeah, I agree. It's absolutely personal growth for Duane for sure. Though I don't think he's handing the keys to beating Alderode to Cresce or anything like that.

Elka thought that it would be too difficult to get the garrote to hit to allow the follow up in the first place. Like it's something she didn't even consider possible. And she's an extremely skilled wright herself.

So it's not likely that this is something the Crescians would be able to repeat, let alone do at some sort of large scale.
Unless they were hiding several prodigies who could replicate the kind of stuff Duane can do somewhere.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 27, 2023

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Oh actually, no, I think I've got a better symbolism pitch: remember all the way back in ch1 when Duane reached down to a Crescian badge in the wandering root and was p much horrified by the implications? This is a mirror of that, except now he is fighting with Crescian officers against basically the worst things and people on the continent. at risk of coming up with way too blunt an observation, he's reaching past the badge for delicious human meats

yeah that tracks lol
it's not just that panel it's front and center actively falling off in the last page, there's something going on there that Cope doesn't want us to miss but ???

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 28, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Aww hell nah.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Oh no.

isndl posted:

Rereading the page, yeah, you're right; my initial impression was Elka though her only option was a high-risk core leech, so really ANYTHING else Duane might propose would be hypothetically easier to replicate, even if only by comparison.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

Oh no.

Rereading the page, yeah, you're right; my initial impression was Elka though her only option was a high-risk core leech, so really ANYTHING else Duane might propose would be hypothetically easier to replicate, even if only by comparison.

militarily speaking, suicide attacks are extremely easy to replicate. sucks for the poor sucker doing 'em but there's more where that came from, and core leeches haven't been treated as an unusual or hard-to-learn skill. they're presumably a lot harder to actually hit with when the crew of the freaky man-faced wyvern thing isn't totally out of their minds though

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 28, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
aww man, did Bell just make his move and shoot that blue poo poo? or did that come from the snake?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm pretty sure that's one of the mouths of General Bell's ride. Fuckin' Bell.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, it's a bit confused in the moment but Cope confirms that it was a traitor construct in Bell's command that happened to notice some meddling wrights successfully interdiction vliegeng. Which is very inconvenient when his ideal outcome is the Queen being tragically murdered by Aldish assassins and inak rebels.

good choice of cliffhanger, that yellow at the end could readily be either a successful defense of some sort or the latest vliegeng's pressure aspects going bang

E: we're probably meant to think the second one, she helpfully highlighted them as it dove past Toma

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

possibly actually immediately relevant tumblr spoilers:

otoh, the discord points out we haven't seen Wheelchair Wright really bust her poo poo out, and she's supposed to have at least one scene demonstrating why she's a badass

so maybe this is it

and it could very well be her unloading and getting vaporized by the khert, to (...temporarily?) save everyone in the palace

especially if Darkest Paul links up - his range is garbage (very nearly touch) if he's not working with another wright, but despite his incredibly embarrassing name, he's at least as good at impromptu wright poo poo as bastion

...and probably much better at working with non-medical artifice

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
His main power is that he's a Shart, so he's really good at saving his own skin and taking advantage of an opportunity.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nothing redeems history.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ana seems a bit confused on who's alive and who's dead.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

She's got a lot of on her mind.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hooboy

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This is not a great turn of events for Anadyne!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Remember, in Kasslyne you're not dead until your heart stops! Guess Ilganyag needs a human soul in there as... glue? Or it might just be as simple as her needing to pop the khert open at the right moment.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I saw a comment in the reddit speculating they're gonna kill Anadyne so the khert opens up, then Duane and/or Sette keep the doorway open and then tittybird escapes using the silver as anchor.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

That does make a lot of sense really the more i think on it, it utilizes stuff we've been clearly shown in the comic (Turas' khert hole getting stuck open) and also explains why Ilganyag needed all these moving parts.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I just binged from the end of deadly nevergreen all the way to current page.

:psyduck: jfc this is such a misery rollercoaster.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mindblast posted:

I just binged from the end of deadly nevergreen all the way to current page.

:psyduck: jfc this is such a misery rollercoaster.

I think a lot about the Tumblr anon who asked "Ashley why are you like this" lol

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 11, 2023

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Like when I first got to the deadly nevergreen years ago I understood that it was a good indicator of how far the author is at least willing to go but I totally underestimated the frequency of how often she was gonna dip in there. :stare:

The binge part also intensified the whole mess. On the flipside each localized apocalypse was also concluded quickly and I didn't have to wait on each individual page be released in realtime(how long did the shrine incident take in irl time? :shepface:)

And we're apparently only nearly half way? :psyduck:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

We're only a third of the way there, if I recall correctly, though Ashley's also said her original plans are a bit untenable unless she wants to spend the rest of her life doing nothing but Unsounded.

The end of this story arc may be the end of Unsounded as a comic, but she's considering turning the rest into a novel (just so she can actually finish the whole thing). Each story arc is supposed to be relatively self-contained however, so Sette and Duane's emotional arcs should reach some kind of conclusion, even if background events keep spinning.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I generally don't look into authors much, but a part of me does wonder if Ashley follows the law that the authors of the most depressing and hosed-up works must be the most opposite of their work as possible. (and the same holds true for the most saccharine works)

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

We're only a third of the way there, if I recall correctly, though Ashley's also said her original plans are a bit untenable unless she wants to spend the rest of her life doing nothing but Unsounded.

The end of this story arc may be the end of Unsounded as a comic, but she's considering turning the rest into a novel (just so she can actually finish the whole thing). Each story arc is supposed to be relatively self-contained however, so Sette and Duane's emotional arcs should reach some kind of conclusion, even if background events keep spinning.

I think the "turn the story into a novel to make the finish line closer" idea got thrown out. Not saying she can't change her mind again, though. Exaggerating, obviously, but it seemed like one of those halfhearted solutions where someone, say, looks at a huge pile of dirty laundry and thinks "maybe I'll just buy all new clothes" or something similar.

I think Ash entertained the idea a little more seriously than that, but last I heard she thought the current comic format was best for telling the story, and instead decided to condense some things and trim some fat. That would bringin the story down to two "books" instead of three, making the story roughly half done as currently planned as Mindblast said.

There's supposed to be a break of some currently unknown length after book 1, and I'm sure some news will come out during or at the end of that, but here's the answer to the most recent Q&A tumblr post about "what's the future of books 1, 2, 3 looking like".

Ashley posted:

"Book one was always the longest by a fair bit, but now that chapters are so long I think in the future I will be trying to pace chapter breaks to come at more regular eighty to ninety page intervals. So Book 2 may wind up being just as many chapters. Which would be a nice symmetry.

The main thing we’re losing with the old three book structure was an extended interlude where we go back to the days of Alderode’s founding and experience it with King Rortide, Sonum Ssael, and other historical figures. I’m going to convey that information in a different way now. I’m also overall going to try and be less wordy. More snappy, more smart editing, less fat."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, my understanding is that she's reworked the roadmap so that, uh, she's more likely to complete her life's work before she runs out of life. It's now two books so we're basically at the halfway point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

and if she has a couple more decades in her after that she'll work on other Kasslyne works