Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The bear case is more cars that Toyota sells now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I only follow experts like Dr Patel for TSLA pricing analysis

https://twitter.com/ParikPatelCFA/status/1341030141468786698

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Subvisual Haze posted:

I only follow experts like Dr Patel for TSLA pricing analysis

https://twitter.com/ParikPatelCFA/status/1341030141468786698

Math checks out

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

loving how the bear case has 34% margin and the bull case is 27% margin

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

shame on an IGA posted:

loving how the bear case has 34% margin and the bull case is 27% margin

I was trying to think through how the margin could get worse while spreading fixed costs over more units and maybe projected investment? But most likely they decoupled the variables and did some hacky statistics, so their model doesn’t have any actual relationship between the output variables. Why even learn basic financial statement rules when you can just do a big linear regression then throw the input into a “monte Carlo” and call it good?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So what stupid way should I vote my Teck shares for Wednesday?

The stupid corporate breakup that only benefits massive shareholders and kills my vote power or the now undervalued Glencore offer that I assume is going to get another counter before Wednesday based on them wanting to spin off the coal division.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

20 million cars a year would be about 1/3rd the entire global fleet of passenger vehicles sold in a year.

so 1 in 3 cars you see driving would be a tesla. totally a realistic goal and very definitely something we have seen in the past few decades where a single manufacturer dominates world wide sales.

also lmao. its so much easier to manufacture electric cars vs. conventional ICE cars. there is nothing protecting tesla from being chipped away at by a hundred other new small time manufacturers.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yeah but how many come with self crashing technology? And free Twitter.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Buy a Tesla, get a free blue check mark! The synergy is wonderful!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Yeah but how many come with self crashing technology? And free Twitter.

Pssh, its like a couple patches away from being capable of $600B/yr in robotaxi revenue

ARK's stupid valuation gives a ~100% chance Tesla will have an autonomous robotaxi fleet by 2027 and a double digit % chance of it happening by the end of this year. Yes, the year that ends 8 months from now

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

that article about tesla employees sharing vids of the inside peoples garages and horrific accidents also had an anecdote about how they also spent a lot of time trying to train the cars valet feature not to freak out over something as simple as a garden hose laying on the driveway.

so i’m sure unattended robo taxi is just around the corner.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

drk posted:

Cathie and the ARK crew are back with their always insane TSLA forecasts: https://ark-invest.com/articles/valuation-models/arks-tesla-price-target-2027/

From todays price of $165, their price target 2027 is... $2000, a CAGR of 70%. The bear case is $1400!

The whole thing is worth a read for a laugh, but here is their main table of very realistic expectations

This reads like poo poo I see from Crypto where people just imagine numbers. Just as stupid and you can see where & why, too. On one hand, they expect margins on EV's to stay the same on the bull forecast in 5 years and increase by 10 percentage points (not 10% increase, we're talking 50% increase!) for the bear case, while total gross margin doubles and they have between 10 and 15 times the marketcap. E;FB.

https://creditswap.gitbook.io/creditswap/economic-model/revenue-projection

I'm not sure what's worse in this case.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

when elon said tesla would have full self driving by 2015, everyone said he was smart. but now when cathie says it she's dumb? seems unfair

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 24, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
was it ever made clear how and why hertz stockholders were able to get such a good deal out of the bankruptcy sale? i remember the lead up, and the shock when naive retail investors weren't completely hosed, but i can't find any good explanations for what happened

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

was it ever made clear how and why hertz stockholders were able to get such a good deal out of the bankruptcy sale? i remember the lead up, and the shock when naive retail investors weren't completely hosed, but i can't find any good explanations for what happened

Hertz had a ton of used cars and went bankrupt right as the pandemic started, which caused the price of used cars to double/triple.

Usually your main asset doesn't triple in price in less than a year.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

ranbo das posted:

Hertz had a ton of used cars and went bankrupt right as the pandemic started, which caused the price of used cars to double/triple.

Uh didn't you see the "bull and bear projections" a few posts up? Your assets should at least triple, that's the bull projection.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ranbo das posted:

Yep. Sad thing is it now has a lot of people convinced that common shareholders can do really well in a bankruptcy. Which can happen (even leaving HTZ aside, buying shares of the bankrupt REIT GGP was one of Bill Ackman's famous trades in the GFC) but it's very very rare.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

ranbo das posted:

I don't think used car prices went crazy until a year or so into the pandemic when new car supply chain issues from became apparent.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

laxbro posted:

I don't think used car prices went crazy until a year or so into the pandemic when new car supply chain issues from became apparent.

Which is exactly when they emerged from bankruptcy. That's the whole point, at the start of the pandemic things looked grim, they filed for bankruptcy. A year later car prices went wonky and they were able to emerge.

You don't just Michael Scott declare bankruptcy and the company shuts down, it typically takes at least a year or two to actually happen. You can also file with intent to keep operating after (Hertz) or with intent to liquidate (BBBY). It's a long, complicated process which I could effort post about if people were interested.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

ranbo das posted:

Which is exactly when they emerged from bankruptcy. That's the whole point, at the start of the pandemic things looked grim, they filed for bankruptcy. A year later car prices went wonky and they were able to emerge.

You don't just Michael Scott declare bankruptcy and the company shuts down, it typically takes at least a year or two to actually happen. You can also file with intent to keep operating after (Hertz) or with intent to liquidate (BBBY). It's a long, complicated process which I could effort post about if people were interested.

Not just used car prices, but demand for rental cars (and rental car rates) went absolutely bonkers between summer 2020 through 2021. People were too afraid to fly anywhere but pretty much the entire Northeast had the idea of "Driving to Maine" for vacation and many places around NYC were quoting $100-$120 a day for a basic shitbox car that wasn't even vacuumed after the last renter.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ranbo das posted:

How long did you have that Michael Scott reference holstered?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

In april 2020 there was also a mysterious fire that somehow got started in a giant lot in florida that burned up a few thousand rental cars. Not sure which company or companies got that insurance payout.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mrmcd posted:

Not just used car prices, but demand for rental cars (and rental car rates) went absolutely bonkers between summer 2020 through 2021. People were too afraid to fly anywhere but pretty much the entire Northeast had the idea of "Driving to Maine" for vacation and many places around NYC were quoting $100-$120 a day for a basic shitbox car that wasn't even vacuumed after the last renter.

It was $600/day in Miami, May 2020

Your options at that price point were

Ford Taurus: $600/day
Lamborghini Hurricane, neon lime green: $600

I know this because we debated the Lambo but realized it doesn't have a backseat for a car seat so we opted to just uber everywhere instead

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
First Republic seems so hosed...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Obligatory:

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/1634197816359747585?s=20

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol every time

Red
Apr 15, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Half of Stocktwits seems to be "BULLISH"!

I've just come to assume posters there are looking for bag holders.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Has anyone run a Jim Cramer study where they just do the opposite of whatever he says?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Sundae posted:

Has anyone run a Jim Cramer study where they just do the opposite of whatever he says?

There is an ETF that does just that

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

He is very slightly positive overall, which is basically the most useless thing possible. If he was always right or always wrong, those are obviously useful, but he's right just ever so slightly which means both inversing him and following him underperformed the market.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But I thought the banks had been fixed?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

never fails. :five:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

DoubleT2172 posted:

There is an ETF that does just that

yep, SJIM. I'll hold a share forever just for laughs.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 27, 2023

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I'd be stupid not to buy more SCHW, right?

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Sweating these amazon earnings, got this bad feeling in my stomach that msft and goog maybe starting to eat into aws.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BAPED - Buy AMZN puts every day

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Baddog posted:

Sweating these amazon earnings, got this bad feeling in my stomach that msft and goog maybe starting to eat into aws.

MSFT and GOOG mostly compete against AWS in the middleware and (azure in particular) apps cloud spaces, whereas AWS still dominates in the cloud storage/infra segment. (Note that ORCL is in this picture too, as well as a few smaller players.) I doubt AWS is losing much market share but it could be seeing a lot of price pressure.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Amazon had a 45% earnings beat and basically followed meta today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Wtf $TOP