Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose fault is it?
Smedly
Higby
Wrel
View Results

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does anyone know if Pale Riders are an okay outfit? They seem to be online a lot and run public platoons regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ynglaur posted:

Does anyone know if Pale Riders are an okay outfit? They seem to be online a lot and run public platoons regularly.

That's Paletigerrrr's VS outfit. He runs/ran PIGS on TR and is a very loud Australian guy who cracks racist jokes. Whether the outfit is okay is something I don't know but he is pretty terrible so I doubt it's great. I turned off voice chat because in leader voice chat he's always yelling.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Rexxed posted:

Cool clips

What's going on with the infravision? Are you using an implant for that? Seems like that would be disorienting for me but it's got its perks

What's the deal with Implants in general? They seem like a gacha mechanic that's mostly vestigial though I did get a funny implant that increases shield by 400 and reduces health by 400 so I don't know if that's worth speccing on like a heavy assault or something

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Ynglaur posted:

I end up in their platoons a lot; Paletiger is a very, very opinionated Australian. I don't think I've heard him say anything racist but he's very whiny.

He also makes an audible show of kicking VS who are in "pedo outfits", I guess there's some community drama where some VS leadership are pedophiles? I have no way of figuring out what the gently caress because the only PS2 media I consume is here.

Their other members seem alright, but I don't like... engage with them. Trying to have a conversation in front of 48 people while trying to drive a tank is not my idea of a good time.

40 Proof Listerine posted:

What's the deal with Implants in general? They seem like a gacha mechanic that's mostly vestigial though I did get a funny implant that increases shield by 400 and reduces health by 400 so I don't know if that's worth speccing on like a heavy assault or something

I have that implant, Carapace; IDK if it's good and I don't think a HA will get any more benefit from it than anyone else. I use it on my medic when I have the shield-regenerating deployable, and sometimes on an engineer or infiltrator when I know I won't be hanging out with any medics... but there's also a health regen implant too?

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 10, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

What's going on with the infravision? Are you using an implant for that? Seems like that would be disorienting for me but it's got its perks

Implants were added as a way to shoehorn lootboxes into the game like 3-4 years after release. It was a management decision. The devs tried to keep their impact low and in general it is, but there are exceptions. Infravision is kind of a crutch because I'm old and it makes it easier to spot people, but yeah it has the two inherent disadvantages of not showing infils at all and limiting your view range to 100m or so. I don't use it all of the time but I use it a lot for infantry fights. I think it's more helpful on hossin where there's more clutter that make it difficult to spot people in.

https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/Implants

In general with implants there's good ones and bad ones, and a lot of them are very situational. The best ones for general infantry fighting are probably Survivalist and Assimilate. Survivalist gives you a little heal over time if your shield breaks and at max rank adds a speed boost as well so you can run away to live. Assimilate gives you shield back if you get a headshot kill and at max rank restores some ability energy. Those tend to be the heavy infantry meta implants but aren't used by everyone. I'm a fan of Sensor shield since it doesn't let people spot you coming as easily (reduces you showing up on motion sensors).

Sounds like you got the bionics implant which isn't great. The main idea with it would be that if you had faster shield regen or something that benefit shields you get more benefit from it. This could be the engineer class bonus that shields refresh faster, using the suit slot Advanced Shield Capacitor for the same, or pairing it with something like Assimilate. In reality I don't see people use it often outside of engineers (and even then I don't see it used much) because things like EMP grenades will instantly strip your shield leaving you at almost no health. It's not that the implant is inherently bad it's just situational and there's usually better implants to use in that slot.

There's a lot of implants available but many of them end up being useful for particular loadouts or things you're doing and not that useful in other situations. For piloting vehicles I use the Sweeper implant for that loadout. It lets you passively spot explosives (like tank mines). It's not bad for infantry too since there's anti-personnel mines but I mostly run it on loadouts where I might be supporting vehicles or piloting. Then I'll often use safe fall if I'm piloting an air vehicle, or ammo printer if I think I'm going to be driving around for a while and might not have friendly ammo tower around. Sometimes Logistics if I need to spawn squadmates into my vehicle or Counter Intelligence if I want to automatically spot people shooting at my vehicle.

For sniping there's implants like critical chain, assassin, target focus, athlete. The first one gets you better reload speed after a headshot (only works with sniper rifles), the second clears spots on you if you get a kill over 50 yards away (not that useful while playing an infiltrator since you can just cloak). The latter two improve holding down shift to steady your aim in length that that lasts and how fast it refreshes. I kind of hate long range sniping so I don't do it a lot but the option is there for scopes above 4x.

For SMG or stalker infiltrator there's sensor shield for getting around sneakily, and then whatever you want. Sweeper is good for spotting mines, avoidance for walking over mines and being near autoturrets without setting them off. There's also implants like athlete for moving fast, catlike for jumping high, deep operative for having a harder to see cloak, as well as just the good infantry combat ones like assimilate or survivalist. Some close range builds would use Vampire to get health back while stabbing people but the one-shot knives were nerfed last year so it's not as popular anymore.

For playing light assault Safe Fall is a really helpful implant since you end up being airborne a lot. Sensor shield can be good if you want to be up on a roof just peeking over to blast people now and then. Ammo printer can be good if you think you're going to be busy for a while since carbines don't always have a lot of ammunition.

Medics like Carapace (removes shield in favor of extra health) because a lot of them run with the nano-regen device in their suit slot to get health back, but it's another exceptional implant which are rare or cost 45K ISO-4 to craft. Then there's a few medic beneficial specific ones like Combat Surgeon or Mending field as well.

Maxes can get an implant to regen health if they kill other maxes called Salvage, or Berserker that gives them a heal over time at the cost of 20% extra damage taken. They also have heavyweight which means they don't get knocked around much or Disengage which knocks people away from them if they use their heal. Most of these are useless compared to sweeper hud but berserker and salvage are both pretty strong.

The main thing that implants give is some customizability to the classes beyond the basic loadouts but only a few are really mandatory (like in my opinion, sweeper hud when driving to see tank mines or safe fall for light assault, although I don't always run it for Ambusher jump jets or drifters). I also get killed by people using not-meta implants all of the time since most don't contribute to your lethality but can either complement a playstyle or just add some versatility. Some heavy was using Fortify and Battle Hardened to hold points last night and I died to him a couple of times but I think it had less to do with the implants and more due to me being a light assault and him using the MSR-W which he already auraxed.

I have every implant maxed out on my NSO character (except Countershade which they added last year) and an extra 15k ISO-4 so you kind of end up with everything eventually. When I hit 45k I'll buy countershade and then probably never use it.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 10, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

death cob for cutie posted:

I end up in their platoons a lot; Paletiger is a very, very opinionated Australian. I don't think I've heard him say anything racist but he's very whiny.

He also makes an audible show of kicking VS who are in "pedo outfits", I guess there's some community drama where some VS leadership are pedophiles? I have no way of figuring out what the gently caress because the only PS2 media I consume is here.

Their other members seem alright, but I don't like... engage with them. Trying to have a conversation in front of 48 people while trying to drive a tank is not my idea of a good time.

I have that implant, Carapace; IDK if it's good and I don't think a HA will get any more benefit from it than anyone else. I use it on my medic when I have the shield-regenerating deployable, and sometimes on an engineer or infiltrator when I know I won't be hanging out with any medics... but there's also a health regen implant too?

I guess I misremembered some of what went on but pale is definitely unpopular because when pigs was a huge outfit he'd order them around to do stuff like TK people and bases of outfits he was having a disagreement with and he disagrees with anyone who doesn't do what he says. Big ego guy who doesn't ever shut up. I think that got him suspended for a while and he switched over to VS after that and made P4LE. I'm not sure which outfit he's calling a pedo one but R18 had some discord leaks that were beyond racist and may have dipped into sick stuff beyond that, so it's cool if he's booting R18 people (n7jpicaro is their leader). END1 is people who left R18 when what went on on the R18 discord became public. Anyone still in R18 is probably terrible.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
yeah I've never heard him call for summary executions or whatever, maybe he chilled out a bit after being suspended?

also I mixed up Carapace and Bionics lmao

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

death cob for cutie posted:

yeah I've never heard him call for summary executions or whatever, maybe he chilled out a bit after being suspended?

also I mixed up Carapace and Bionics lmao

Maybe, I wasn't even really playing much last year when that happened but there's videos on reddit of him swearing he'll have his platoons TK all the AOD while having pigs blow up one of their construction bases. I don't really care to repost drama besides "maybe this guy sucks" so I'll just leave it at that, but google searches for pale tiger planetside 2 has a lot of hits of him flipping out at people and I really did turn off voice chat a couple of years ago because he was on command chat screaming all the time.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Paletiger from my viewpoint is obnoxious and is using the game as a substitute for proper social interaction.

dude could not shut up and listen

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Grognan posted:

Paletiger from my viewpoint is obnoxious and is using the game as a substitute for proper social interaction.

dude could not shut up and listen

A video was put up on the ps2 reddit yesterday about his account being permanently banned for toxic behavior. He made the video but someone else posted it, I think. Seems that the account was his outfit leader account of Pale Riders so RIP to that outfit I guess? He has another account but I couldn't stand listening to him talk for more than a minute or so and he was waffling on whether he'd quit for real. I can't imagine he'd be welcome to keep playing for long if they permabanned him for being himself, though. So I guess it's a non-issue now.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Is there a way to mute yells?

It looks like ignoring players doesn't persist between sessions

Rexxed posted:

Good Implant Advice;
I have every implant maxed out on my NSO character (except Countershade which they added last year) and an extra 15k ISO-4 so you kind of end up with everything eventually. When I hit 45k I'll buy countershade and then probably never use it.

Thanks for the breakdown on that, I've been mostly just running around with the default bonus spot range implant and an ammo printer or the athlete sprint acceleration one because those are pretty relevant to scooting around

How is the NSO in practice? Just unlocked them and they have nice default guns but it looks like the rest of their gear is NS factionless stuff and their MAX is real weird looking with only a few weapons

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It looks like ignoring players doesn't persist between sessions

Thanks for the breakdown on that, I've been mostly just running around with the default bonus spot range implant and an ammo printer or the athlete sprint acceleration one because those are pretty relevant to scooting around

How is the NSO in practice? Just unlocked them and they have nice default guns but it looks like the rest of their gear is NS factionless stuff and their MAX is real weird looking with only a few weapons

I think you can pretty much only ignore people and you're stuck with yells afaik. The chat box is way up on the top left so it's easy to not look at for the most part. For voice chat you can mute people by hitting enter on the num pad if you have one.

For NSO I think they're fun but limited. When they were released in like 2018 there weren't any NSO specific weapons or anything, they could only use NS and NSX stuff and required membership to play. We also had a small selection of directive weapons (those old directives aren't available anymore but most of the weapons became black market weapons for A7 just without the auraxium look to them). The big Integration update added all the NSO specific weapons they have now, let everyone use them as freelance (you get randomly assigned to a faction based on which has lowest pop), and now membership is required to be in an outfit or join a specific faction.

In general they have okay weapons, not really as good as many of the faction weapons but there's a couple of stand outs available. I think the CB-X75 is my favorite carbine and I've auraxed a lot of them. Their tank and ESF aren't great compared to the rest but they're different.

I'd give it a whirl if you want to try it but learning gunplay with the normal factional stuff is usually a better way to go starting out. Most of the NSO stuff is low damage and middling RPM, and you'll be hurting for social stuff unless you want membership. Membership can be worthwhile if you play a lot but it tends to be pricey unless you buy a whole year at a time, which is how they got their hooks in me (plus the game is fun).

edit: oh yeah and the NSO weapon graphics are really big and block a lot of your view. That's one thing they could change with all the XMG series LMGs and haven't.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 11, 2023

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I think you can just hit H and hide the chat box entirely?

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

What's a good way to kit out MAX units? They seem quite expensive to get matching guns for

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

What's a good way to kit out MAX units? They seem quite expensive to get matching guns for

You pretty much always want matching guns, mismatching doesn't really make sense. You can spot a newbie because they'll be doing that and assuming that they want to be dual purpose but it's rarely useful because using like one burster and a machine gun makes you less effective at both. Do note that once you spawn a max you can go back to a terminal and change weapons without paying for a new max, but dying or redeploying will lose your max suit.

Maxes basically have three or four roles. First is anti-infantry, often pulled when the opponents have a lot of dudes on a point or to max crash onto a point. This mostly means normal guns that are effective at blasting infantry. Second is anti-max which can be the same weapons as anti-infantry but can also have some loadout variation (often just toss on the Salvage implant). Third is anti-vehicle and fourth is anti-air.

For AI I believe the TR meta guns are still dual mercies. VS likes Blueshifts. NC there's been some variation and I'm not sure what's considered best right now, but Mattocks are pretty popular. NSO just use the default grenade printers. For NSO you can also kill infantry with hummingbirds by ignoring the lockon part but they do less damage than the base grenade printer.

For anti-max you can use your basic AI loadout but if you specifically want to kill enemy maxes you'll likely go with something like dual pounders for TR, Falcons for NC, Comets for VS, and well, NSO is still stuck with the basic grenade printer and maybe hummingbirds but they're not as good. The key here is to add the salvage implant so you get back health for killing enemy maxes. These loadouts can also kill vehicles but aren't as strong as the AV options for that. These are kind of hybrid weapons which can be used to kill infantry or vehicles but tend to be explosives or rockets. Gorgon machineguns are also available to the three faction maxes which are also hybrids since they're slow-ish machineguns that also can damage vehicles. They're okay at killing everything but not the best at any one thing.

For AV specifically TR has the Fracture. It's a long range option for plinking vehicles to death. Works well with the lockdown option to improve the weapon but they're not weapons you want to be using walking into a cap room with, they're for pulling when there's somewhere to shoot a load of enemy vehicles from. For NC this is Ravens which are guided rockets (while the falcons are unguided), and VS has the vortex which you can charge up for three pips and release to blast something at far range with a high damage energy thing, similar to the Lancer. NSO have the hummingbirds which are a lockon weapon which do some vehicle damage (I think it's 150 + 350 splash but the splash seems to hurt aircraft more than vehicles). NSO also have the detonator artillery which is fun but very limited use. I could do a whole post about using detonators but their basic thing is that they have a huge arc of travel like, well, artillery. The farther they go the more damage they do and the limit seems to be around 250m. You can annihilate something like a parked sundy in 2 or three volleys if your aim is on point, though. It's not a great weapon because it's super situational.

For anti-air the three main factions have Bursters for their maxes. You might think buying a right handed one for $7 would get you one for all the maxes, but no! They're all different per faction. There's now a message about it on the burster but I bought one in the first year of release and was pretty unhappy to learn I would need to spend 14 more dollars for all of them. A Burster loadout is good for, much like with the AV specific ones, being in a base and blasting flak at aircraft. They're pretty great but flak has been changed to do less damage at further ranges. It's often good to let a fighter get in close and then open up on it, they'll zoom away but you might hit them. NSO have hummingbirds which as I mentioned were recently buffed slightly. They're decent at killing aircraft but you tend to want all seven (when it overheats) to hit an ESF and more for a liberator. Anyway for those loadouts I usually use ammo storage container on the ability slot and extended mags for the bursters but since they're often used at a defensive base fight you can just go back inside to resupply.

For implants you want sweeper hud and another implant. You want sweeper hud because a tank mine will usually kill a max and it makes C4 obvious if someone's trying to pop you. Other than that the main dangers to maxes are rocket launchers and engineers with anti-materiel rifles (AMRs). Other implant tends to be whatever you want. I've seen maxes use almost everything here or there, from Berserker for a solo infantry farming max to target focus (so you can see health bars) to whatever. For most maxes you'll want Ordinance armor to take less damage from explosives since that's the fastest way that maxes die. I've seen a guy use kinetic armor for infantry farming but I don't think it's reliable since heavies will usually get out of sight and start popping you with rockets from a doorway or whatever. The Ability slot can vary, emergency repair is usually the best general choice but some of the other ones aren't bad. VS maxes can get ZOE (Zealot Overdrive Engine) but it was nerfed like 7 years ago and may never be good at this point. NC max riot shield is actually decent since you can put it up to push a doorway or while reloading. NSO doesn't get ordinance armor so I usually use the auto-repair or the movement speed thing.

Fallout hardening is a new max slot thing they added last patch when they made maxes un-reviveable. Orbital strikes almost always kill maxes, even indoors, by design. This makes it an effective way to stop a max crash or max building hold. With fallout hardening they would now survive and just take some damage. It's useful but probably only in some situations.

In general it's worth getting a loadout or two sorted out for your max but you also want your basic infantry stuff in order. Maxes are strong but you won't be using them super often so it's good to make sure they're in good shape when you pull them but not to the deficit of classes you'll use more.

Anyway enough effortposting about maxes, we're five days out from the big construction update!

https://www.planetside2.com/news/fortification-update

quote:

Howdy folks. For the past few months, the team has been hard at work overhauling our Construction System. Much of this process was shared across social media, as well as on our site and forums. Today we would like to officially introduce you to FORTIFICATION. Coming May 17, 2023.

Yes, you read that right. You can plan, build, defend, or attack starting Wednesday the 17th.

Along with Fortification, PlanetSide is turning 20 this year! Check out the anniversary activities below.

Breaking Ground
This update's foundation has always kept these two core values in mind:

Allow builders to develop bases that non-builders enjoy fighting at
Reduce barrier to entry for players looking to engage with the system

This time around we will keep this article brief, as much of the update was discussed in previous articles.

Since first announcing our plans to overhaul construction in January, a great deal of progress has been made. Your feedback from the Public Test server was extraordinarily helpful. Not to mention all of the assistance in finding an assortment of bugs. This has culminated in an update the team is very excited to share.

Many of the new and updated construction items have been discussed in our Update Under Construction article. Please give it a read to get a better understanding of the individual buildings and modules coming with this update.

The patch notes from the Test server can also be found here and here. In the next few days more patch notes will surface highlighting improvements and updates the team has made since the last round.

Zoning
Along with the construction overhaul, Oshur has also seen quite a few adjustments.

The Oshur section of the April 28th patch notes highlight the upcoming changes.

A Concrete Legacy
PlanetSide turns 20 on May 20th! It's been an amazing two decades of ground, air and now sea battles! At Rogue Planet Games we would like to say thank you for the awesome memories and contributions the community has given to the overall experience in game and out of game!

We will also be hosting a DOUBLE XP FOR ALL event starting May 17th through May 21st.

PlanetSide Soundtracks
To help celebrate PlanetSide's Golden Birthday, we are releasing PlanetSide 1 and PlanetSide 2 soundtracks. The PlanetSide 2 soundtracks will be broken into faction specific albums. These soundtracks will be available on all major streaming platforms.

To get the party started, here's a sneak peek at an oldie but goodie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trpADJsWS0A

PlanetSide 20-Year Legacy Event and Legacy Bundle
Starting May 17th, and running through June 4th, you will have just over 2 weeks to earn the NS-D Helios, by completing the 20-Year Legacy directives.

A new 20-Year Legacy bundle will be available in the Depot containing a variety of items. Included is a new NS-D Helios which some may notice is an homage to the legendary PS1 Dragon.

Brand new faction based Apex SMGs are also making their way to the Depot.

Be sure to take a peek at the bundle's other offerings. The 20-Year Legacy bundle will be available with the update on May 17th.

On the Horizon
In the relative near future, the team will continue to pay close attention to your feedback when Fortification goes live. Updates and patches will continue to roll out over the coming weeks to ensure Fortification is solid.

A little further out, we are planning some fun summer activities. Not much info to share at the moment, but we'll keep you posted. Even further out, there's already preliminary work beginning on PS2's anniversary!

Thanks, and have a good one!

-PlanetSide 2 Team

https://i.imgur.com/C8cdj4R.mp4

I don't know how construction's going to end up but I'm buying the flamethrower thing day one. Like a lot of new weapons it might end up being OP for a while then nerfed but it looks cool.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 13, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

So... Is my cert investment in the prior system a wash now?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Demilich posted:

I believe that owning old stuff will translate to some of the new stuff. I bought most of the construction stuff for DBC in 2020 and I think they tend to not just delete an item that was bought for cash. There's also a series of training missions they added that unlock some of the new construction items right away. That said, it's all very different now with the modules being inserted into slots in the buildings instead of just being little things you drop on the ground.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oh, I forgot to mention that Infantry Gear (cosmetics like armor and helmets and decals) is 40% off this weekend for Mother's day. The cash shop is still stupidly expensive but they release things so infrequently I figure that's how they plan on having someone spend 2 grand to unlock it all instead of having 10X the items for 1/10th the cost which would've been a more sensible setup. Yeah, I bought a Trash Eater helmet for $2.30 but the NSO max has so few options!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Demilich posted:

I found the part that mentioned this in the previous notes. Not sure what they'll do about the three removed modules but we'll see:
https://www.planetside2.com/patch-notes/april-28-pts-notes-2023

quote:

On Sanctuary, you'll be able to unlock "equivalent" items to the ones that are now being outmoded, based on what you owned. For example: If you owned the Skywall Shield Module prior to this change, you'll be able to unlock the new Skywall Shield Module at no charge.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Rexxed posted:

MAX post to the max
Thanks for the tips, saving up for Mercys on the TR toon; running a budget build right now with the cycler and the 100 round sort of cycler thing (turns out it's the Mutilator) in the meantime

MAXs have been decent for pushes on crowded points where vehicles can't reach so it's a good balance IMO

Are any of the black market weapons worth it? A7 seems like the missions for it are a real pain compared to how much you get

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanks for the tips, saving up for Mercys on the TR toon; running a budget build right now with the cycler and the 100 round sort of cycler thing (turns out it's the Mutilator) in the meantime

MAXs have been decent for pushes on crowded points where vehicles can't reach so it's a good balance IMO

Are any of the black market weapons worth it? A7 seems like the missions for it are a real pain compared to how much you get

A couple of them are really good but most are a change or side grade over an existing NS or NSX weapon. I have everything on a couple of characters but I tried to do the A7 missions every day for a year or two. Since they add them so slowly I'm capped at 5k A7 and now the red missions just give extra experience. I love the Kuwa and the Kappa, the Kuwa is like a Yumi but instead of a charge up 3 shot burst it's a wind up full auto which seems to have higher DPS than many other guns. Also it can be used by Heavy, Medic, or Engineer since while it counts as assault rifle kills for missions like Gun game, it's labelled as a hybrid weapon. It can use an underbarrel grenade launcher, which isn't that novel now but used to be more restricted. It's one of the only main weapons a heavy assault can use that has one, though.

The Kappa is like the Tengu, but shoots faster with a couple less pellets. It's one of the better SMGs in the game, although each faction has one or two good ones.

The Viscount is a silenced shotgun based on the Baron. It's pretty good and the comfort grip handle for faster weapon swap times makes it a good secondary weapon for engineers (it's an ASP point thing).

SPRK-33's Stomper is an anti-vehicle heavy weapon. It looks like a thumper (and it is based on it) but it does 200 damage against armor and has 6 rounds. It's not great if you're using it as a primary weapon but with ASP points you can use a heavy weapon as a secondary weapon on a heavy assault, and it can be really good for that. For heavy weapons each faction gets one (plus cosmetic variants), then there's the thumper (and cosmetic variants), and now also the Stomper.

Most of the other ones are alright, I don't think any of them stand out quite as well but only the Yawara pistol has been super disappointing and I barely use it.

ASP, by the way, is the planetside prestige system, like new game+. Originally the game let you get up to BR100 and that was it. Then they tacked on 100-120 but the only thing you get for that grind is a title not many people have. The reason for that is that once you hit BR100 you can go into ASP (which was added after 120 but only requires BR100 to enter plus some certs or membership), or advanced specialization (points? program? I forget). Anyway, ASP resets your BR to 1 but you get an ASP point at 1, 25, 50, 75, and 100. They've since added ASP 2 and 3 so you can basically do the grind four times and get a bunch of cool abilities for it. I'm at ASP3 BR99 on my NSO and I've got all the cool ones like heavy assault heavy weapon secondary, engineer LMG main and shotgun secondary, engineer assault rifle main (I play engi a lot), light assault SMG secondary, Medic scout rifle secondary, infiltrator sticky grenades, pistol main hand, 20% cheaper tanks and planes, etc. It's a good system and there's some definite standouts like being able to do more interesting loadouts with the weapon slot variations.

Daily missions aren't a bad way to get some points but there's a lot of them you can ignore like Transport Pilot or Elite Squad leader (unless you want to run squads or platoons). The best ones tend to be the class specific ones and the ones that are pretty fast. There's also some that can be deceptive, like Message Courier is a five minute mission unless it randomly picks bases that take you all the way across the continent through enemy territory. It's a good way to learn how to drive a Harasser, though. Cortium Run can be that way, too since it requires you deliver to a silo in contested territory now.

There's also a few things you can do to make some missions easier. If I get the NSX Weapon Eval for the Masamune launcher (requires 5 vehicle kills) I fly to a base in enemy territory that has base turrets and kill them. You won't have enough rockets to kill 5 full turrets but you can damage them with the secondary crossbow with explosive bolts (usually 6 shots from the crossbow, then 3 with the launcher), or a vehicle damaging knife (punch the turret 28-29 times then masamune), or the Kuwa grenade launcher. You can also bring an ammo printer implant and the munition pouch suit slot for extra rockets. The reason this works is that base turrets are basically unoccupied vehicles and count as kills for a lot of missions. You can do some of the steps in Gun Game this way if you want but it's usually easier just to kill people. None of the other NSX weapon evals really have shortcuts like this.

Skyfire is also pretty easy because it says to do 6k damage to enemy planes in an ESF but you can shoot almost anything, even unoccupied base turrets or enemy construction bases (even the skyshield seems to count).

For the A7 missions, bounty hunter is straight forward but not always easy to finish unless you find people with bounties to kill. The NSX weapon evaluations are also straight forward except for the Masamune one I posted about. Concealed Chaos is pretty easy since you can get a stalker cloak and a motion detector and just get XP that way to finish it. Even standing next to a cloaked sundy as an engineer with an ammo pack down having people resupply on it will get you cloaked experience ticks. Clandestine Operative has a number of things you can do for points, like destroying enemy terminals, turrets (3 unoccupied base turrets finishes the mission), or even starting and finishing turn overs on base generators.

The last couple tips are weird and not that handy but sometimes useful for events. In the Front Line Spawns mission the goal is to get people to spawn on your sunderer at a base that's being attacked. Seems easy enough but it's not uncommon to have issues putting your sunderer down and have people pick it over other people's sunderers, or it keeps getting blown up. You can actually put the sunderer anywhere on the continent, but only you have to be in contested bases for the spawns to count for the mission. So you'd need friends to chain spawn on your sunderer and redeploy or pick a good spot that's not contested for it to work, and that's not that simple, but it just goes to show how the mission is coded. It's more about where you are while you get the credit for the spawns than doing exactly what it says to do. The sunderer thing has been a requirement in a few of their big event directives in the past, so it could be relevant again at some point. Often the last tier of those events takes like 200 spawns or something so it can be helpful to work around that.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rexxed posted:

A couple of them are really good but most are a change or side grade over an existing NS or NSX weapon. I have everything on a couple of characters but I tried to do the A7 missions every day for a year or two. Since they add them so slowly I'm capped at 5k A7 and now the red missions just give extra experience. I love the Kuwa and the Kappa, the Kuwa is like a Yumi but instead of a charge up 3 shot burst it's a wind up full auto which seems to have higher DPS than many other guns. Also it can be used by Heavy, Medic, or Engineer since while it counts as assault rifle kills for missions like Gun game, it's labelled as a hybrid weapon. It can use an underbarrel grenade launcher, which isn't that novel now but used to be more restricted. It's one of the only main weapons a heavy assault can use that has one, though.

The Kappa is like the Tengu, but shoots faster with a couple less pellets. It's one of the better SMGs in the game, although each faction has one or two good ones.

The Viscount is a silenced shotgun based on the Baron. It's pretty good and the comfort grip handle for faster weapon swap times makes it a good secondary weapon for engineers (it's an ASP point thing).

SPRK-33's Stomper is an anti-vehicle heavy weapon. It looks like a thumper (and it is based on it) but it does 200 damage against armor and has 6 rounds. It's not great if you're using it as a primary weapon but with ASP points you can use a heavy weapon as a secondary weapon on a heavy assault, and it can be really good for that. For heavy weapons each faction gets one (plus cosmetic variants), then there's the thumper (and cosmetic variants), and now also the Stomper.

Most of the other ones are alright, I don't think any of them stand out quite as well but only the Yawara pistol has been super disappointing and I barely use it.

ASP, by the way, is the planetside prestige system, like new game+. Originally the game let you get up to BR100 and that was it. Then they tacked on 100-120 but the only thing you get for that grind is a title not many people have. The reason for that is that once you hit BR100 you can go into ASP (which was added after 120 but only requires BR100 to enter plus some certs or membership), or advanced specialization (points? program? I forget). Anyway, ASP resets your BR to 1 but you get an ASP point at 1, 25, 50, 75, and 100. They've since added ASP 2 and 3 so you can basically do the grind four times and get a bunch of cool abilities for it. I'm at ASP3 BR99 on my NSO and I've got all the cool ones like heavy assault heavy weapon secondary, engineer LMG main and shotgun secondary, engineer assault rifle main (I play engi a lot), light assault SMG secondary, Medic scout rifle secondary, infiltrator sticky grenades, pistol main hand, 20% cheaper tanks and planes, etc. It's a good system and there's some definite standouts like being able to do more interesting loadouts with the weapon slot variations.

Daily missions aren't a bad way to get some points but there's a lot of them you can ignore like Transport Pilot or Elite Squad leader (unless you want to run squads or platoons). The best ones tend to be the class specific ones and the ones that are pretty fast. There's also some that can be deceptive, like Message Courier is a five minute mission unless it randomly picks bases that take you all the way across the continent through enemy territory. It's a good way to learn how to drive a Harasser, though. Cortium Run can be that way, too since it requires you deliver to a silo in contested territory now.

There's also a few things you can do to make some missions easier. If I get the NSX Weapon Eval for the Masamune launcher (requires 5 vehicle kills) I fly to a base in enemy territory that has base turrets and kill them. You won't have enough rockets to kill 5 full turrets but you can damage them with the secondary crossbow with explosive bolts (usually 6 shots from the crossbow, then 3 with the launcher), or a vehicle damaging knife (punch the turret 28-29 times then masamune), or the Kuwa grenade launcher. You can also bring an ammo printer implant and the munition pouch suit slot for extra rockets. The reason this works is that base turrets are basically unoccupied vehicles and count as kills for a lot of missions. You can do some of the steps in Gun Game this way if you want but it's usually easier just to kill people. None of the other NSX weapon evals really have shortcuts like this.

Skyfire is also pretty easy because it says to do 6k damage to enemy planes in an ESF but you can shoot almost anything, even unoccupied base turrets or enemy construction bases (even the skyshield seems to count).

For the A7 missions, bounty hunter is straight forward but not always easy to finish unless you find people with bounties to kill. The NSX weapon evaluations are also straight forward except for the Masamune one I posted about. Concealed Chaos is pretty easy since you can get a stalker cloak and a motion detector and just get XP that way to finish it. Even standing next to a cloaked sundy as an engineer with an ammo pack down having people resupply on it will get you cloaked experience ticks. Clandestine Operative has a number of things you can do for points, like destroying enemy terminals, turrets (3 unoccupied base turrets finishes the mission), or even starting and finishing turn overs on base generators.

The last couple tips are weird and not that handy but sometimes useful for events. In the Front Line Spawns mission the goal is to get people to spawn on your sunderer at a base that's being attacked. Seems easy enough but it's not uncommon to have issues putting your sunderer down and have people pick it over other people's sunderers, or it keeps getting blown up. You can actually put the sunderer anywhere on the continent, but only you have to be in contested bases for the spawns to count for the mission. So you'd need friends to chain spawn on your sunderer and redeploy or pick a good spot that's not contested for it to work, and that's not that simple, but it just goes to show how the mission is coded. It's more about where you are while you get the credit for the spawns than doing exactly what it says to do. The sunderer thing has been a requirement in a few of their big event directives in the past, so it could be relevant again at some point. Often the last tier of those events takes like 200 spawns or something so it can be helpful to work around that.

Quoting for posterity. This is a good post.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Good A7 tips and ASP chat
Thanks, those are some good tips for some of the trickier daily missions.

I had no idea one of the knives cut vehicles, that's hilarious - I had to use the knife for the first time for a Gun Game daily and that was some flailing around for sure.

It's really nice that they let you demo weapons with the trial system when you don't own them, it's tough to fit 30 kills in 30 minutes but it's usually doable in 2 trials over the day.

I saw the ASP program on the wiki and I'm pretty hype for it allowing changes in the weapon variety on classes, that explains how I was getting got by Engineer with Assault rifles and the like.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanks, those are some good tips for some of the trickier daily missions.

I had no idea one of the knives cut vehicles, that's hilarious - I had to use the knife for the first time for a Gun Game daily and that was some flailing around for sure.

It's really nice that they let you demo weapons with the trial system when you don't own them, it's tough to fit 30 kills in 30 minutes but it's usually doable in 2 trials over the day.

I saw the ASP program on the wiki and I'm pretty hype for it allowing changes in the weapon variety on classes, that explains how I was getting got by Engineer with Assault rifles and the like.

There's only a few armor damaging knives and they're not great because while it's cool that they can do damage to vehicles and turrets and stuff, they don't do that much damage per hti. One is in the Ancient's Seven-Year Anniversary bundle (which is $80 or 72 with membership) so it's kind of pricey but it's the Ancient Psykinetic Blade. I have that one since I buy anniversary bundles most years but skipped last years' since it was kind of crappy. The Excursion Kukri was another one but that's only given out to outfits that participated in Outfit Wars (a thing where outfits compete in a nonstandard map outfit vs. outfit they do every couple of years). There was one called Nightshade from an Everquest tie-in event a few years ago. I didn't do that event. The Saboteur is another that was the reward from an event in 2021 or 2022 and I got it on a couple of characters but a lot of their events are so grindy it'd be impossible to finish them with a lot of characters. AV knives do 450 damage to players so they're slightly less good than normal knives that do 500, but they can do 100ish damage to armor. It takes a lot of hits to kill something armored with it but it is possible. I think they get most used by people sapping construction bases or me damaging turrets to get Masamune kills for that one mission to be honest.

One thing I forgot to mention about the NSX Eval missions is that cosmetic variants do work for the missions. So, from the codes I posted a page or two back you should have the NSX-P Tengu and NSX-P Naginata which are just platinum cosmetic versions of the normal weapon. Those count for the daily mission if you get them, as well as other cosmetics. They are considered different weapons for the various directives, though. Regular Naginata works for the LMG directive but the -P and Networked cosmetic ones are just part of some of the Exceptional specialty directives. Directives are basically achievements but some have cool rewards at the top end and some don't.

I also forgot to mention that the Gaining Ground mission can take the place of one of the two class missions. It requires 35 experience ticks of taking capture points and 3 base captures. Usually in prime time things move around so the base captures are pretty easy if you join in offensive pushes, but for the capture experience ticks it can be harder. If you stand by a capture point that's already turned over you get one tick of XP every 15 seconds or so (sometimes server lag makes it a little longer). So you'll get 4 ticks a minute or so just by standing there, but you can walk away and walk back because it will just give everyone nearby the XP every 15 seconds regardless of your presence. You get more ticks by attacking or re-capping the capture points since it will tick up XP as the bar changes color.

With the current spawn system sometimes it won't let you deploy onto a base that your team is attacking or defending even if your side has less than 50% (the old system let you do that as long as that one requirement was met). Instead you often have to deploy to the next closest base on the lattice that's on your side, then redeploy again, and then it will let you spawn on sunderers or routers at the next base over. It's kind of annoying and I hope they change it back, but they're reworking the lattices for the big construction patch so maybe they will tweak it a little. Additionally if a base is really hot sometimes join combat will take you there (J is the default for that but I think mine's still bound to I for the old Instant Action before they changed the name). If there's two bases that are hot and you can spawn at one but want to be at the other, sometimes you can spawn there normally and then join combat to get to the other base. You can always cancel redeploys or join combat before it hits 0 by hitting the key again.

If you have Amazon Prime the gaming code for this month has around a week left. It's mostly cosmetics for the corsair boat and a harpoon knife:
https://gaming.amazon.com/prime-wavestinger-bundle/dp/amzn1.pg.item.7eba551d-193a-43ae-8573-10ef01cd4d27

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Implants own because they make things like vampire knifing builds possible, hth

(seriously though it's super fun and if you have the right implants I fully recommend trying it at a huge fight)

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Rexxed posted:

One thing I forgot to mention about the NSX Eval missions is that cosmetic variants do work for the missions.

Yeah the Tengu and the Naginata have been doing good work thanks to the codes, I run them on my silent and loud class loadouts respectively

I scored a Tanto from the codes too and that thing is really funny on light assault with the super tight hipfire

This is a good weekend with the 40% off cosmetics - you can completely outfit a faction for far less than a bundle would give you which is funny

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
god help me, i got back in the game. and trying to deal with the sensation of being rolled by BR99 BR and also doing things like switching from engineer to heavy, forgetting i have done this, walking over to a vehicle, pushing 3, pulling out my rocket launcher instead of the repair gun and blowing them away.

Lots of over-eager base builders that seal our entire force in to a kill box, Cask of Amontillado style, with sad confused tanks bumbling around and running people over.

I've noticed less knife-filtrators now, I wonder if its less popular or because its hard to notice them unless they've killed you/you see them killing somewhere else. I do think I'm getting better at the "surprised-push 2 to draw handgun, blaze away at general head level and hope the other guy dies first" thing.

People seem profoundly grateful if I just climb aboard as gunner, follow instructions and shoot at moving things, and in general perform at a B- level.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 15, 2023

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Is this planetside 3?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Ronwayne posted:

I've noticed less knife-filtrators now, I wonder if its less popular or because its hard to notice them unless they've killed you/you see them killing somewhere else. I do think I'm getting better at the "surprised-push 2 to draw handgun, blaze away at general head level and hope the other guy dies first" thing.

Power knives were nerfed so they no longer 1-shot on a bodyhit.
There's still a ton of stalker infiltrators but they typically only decloak when you just won a 1v1 with 10% remaining health, to get their 1 kill per hour.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My favorite knife is the NSX Amaterasu which if wielded (instead of quick knife) can be fired to toss an energy blade thing with. Sometimes called the banana knife. They limited the range to 15m with some damage falloff in the last year or two but it's a lot less janky than trying to stab people in melee range in this game. Similar to AV knives it only does 450 damage to players or 367 from 2-15m but it's still solid for if you run out of main weapon ammo and pistol ammo and just need to put someone down.

Honestly I feel like I mostly kill medics with it since if I have a hard fought win against some guys it feels like medics run up to revive them blindly without looking for opponents and then they get the banana. When I play medic, I try to make sure it's clear before I revive anyone unless I'm doing the Sawbones mission then I spam out revive grenades because gently caress you, I need exp. I'm nearly at ASP3 BR100, just a few hundred thousand left.

This isn't my video and it's pre-distance nerf but you get the idea. I kind of miss some of those old Esamir bases:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO50H32o7SY

Ronwayne posted:

god help me, i got back in the game. and trying to deal with the sensation of being rolled by BR99 BR and also doing things like switching from engineer to heavy, forgetting i have done this, walking over to a vehicle, pushing 3, pulling out my rocket launcher instead of the repair gun and blowing them away.

It happens, fortunately they did drop team damage to 50% for non-squad/platoon people on your own faction so while it's still easy to kill someone in a firefight it's not as easy to do it when you're just standing around and click. Of course I killed some dude with a sticky grenade tonight because I was playing an infil with four with the grenade bandoleer and he ran through me as hucked one at a guy. I'm glad nanoweave isn't essential now since you can do weird poo poo more easily.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 15, 2023

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Rexxed posted:

My favorite knife is the NSX Amaterasu which if wielded (instead of quick knife) can be fired to toss an energy blade thing with. Sometimes called the banana knife. They limited the range to 15m with some damage falloff in the last year or two but it's a lot less janky than trying to stab people in melee range in this game. Similar to AV knives it only does 450 damage to players or 367 from 2-15m but it's still solid for if you run out of main weapon ammo and pistol ammo and just need to put someone down.
Funny you mention the Amaterasu since that cropped up as the NSX weapon trial of the day and going on trial with it I managed to score 9/10 kills needed for the mission pretty handily, failing only because server population was low and 66% NC - I'll probably pick it up when I have the spare certs, it's very good for flailing around range

I've grown real partial to the Infiltrator Sniper Rifles that come with the short range optics, it's nice to have them go where you point them and they're pretty solid for panic plinking too

The damage reduction cloak seems like a nice idea for escaping a bad situation but the shorter duration has me using the default cloak more often

I'd run a grenade bandolier more often if the nanite costs on the good grenades was lower, which is an excellent design decision by the devs to curtail nade spam - I wind up running a MAX in situations where I'd otherwise be throwing grenades

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Lima posted:

Power knives were nerfed so they no longer 1-shot on a bodyhit.
There's still a ton of stalker infiltrators but they typically only decloak when you just won a 1v1 with 10% remaining health, to get their 1 kill per hour.

Wow sad to hear that daybreak hates fun!! wtf!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Funny you mention the Amaterasu since that cropped up as the NSX weapon trial of the day and going on trial with it I managed to score 9/10 kills needed for the mission pretty handily, failing only because server population was low and 66% NC - I'll probably pick it up when I have the spare certs, it's very good for flailing around range

I've grown real partial to the Infiltrator Sniper Rifles that come with the short range optics, it's nice to have them go where you point them and they're pretty solid for panic plinking too

The damage reduction cloak seems like a nice idea for escaping a bad situation but the shorter duration has me using the default cloak more often

I'd run a grenade bandolier more often if the nanite costs on the good grenades was lower, which is an excellent design decision by the devs to curtail nade spam - I wind up running a MAX in situations where I'd otherwise be throwing grenades

The nano-armor cloak used to be a bit better since it tacked 100 shield on as well as damage reduction while cloaked (bringing them even with other classes), but that was removed last year because it made infils with SMGs just a little bit more lethal. I've switched off of it for some of my SMG builds but it's still got some utility, it just feels bad since you don't want to be shot while moving cloaked anyway. The short duration and longer recharge hurts it since you have to spend more time not cloaked as a result and then that damage reduction isn't doing anything for you sitting there waiting for it to recharge. I mean 35% damage reduction is solid, but it's not like you can tank a bunch of extra bullets with that.

The bolt actions that can fit the 1X-4X scopes are great, TSAR-42 etc. I don't snipe much but I've auraxed those on most factions since you can get in close. The Daimyo used to be similar (well, it has a 4X with no scope sway at least) but with the gimmick that only headshots kill because it has a 3.5X headshot multiplier, but it can fast rechamber four rounds (with extended mag). They added a huge aim bloom after each shot to make it not so overpowered, but it's still useable. That and the Yumi are probably my least favorite NSX weapon evals but I still do them now and then and usually by the end of it I'm like, oh that wasn't so bad.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Remind me : how many kills to Aurax a weapon?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ynglaur posted:

Remind me : how many kills to Aurax a weapon?

It's 1160. If you look at the weapon stats it's usually different than what the directive says by a few kills. I'm not sure why there's almost always a desync but the directive seems to be the one that matters. Generally it's within 10-20 at least so it's not a huge deal.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rexxed posted:

It's 1160. If you look at the weapon stats it's usually different than what the directive says by a few kills. I'm not sure why there's almost always a desync but the directive seems to be the one that matters. Generally it's within 10-20 at least so it's not a huge deal.

:negative: I switch weapons too often...

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It took me a decade to get the Betelgeuse playing off and on but yeah, I didn't grind for it until I was close and I had several LMGs with like 300-400 kills to pick from for the final bit (I used the Maw) because my loadouts were unfocused. I switch classes and loadouts a lot but I think I was doing myself a disservice switching main weapons so often since using the same one for a while helps with aim by familiarity and building muscle memory. The Betelgeuse is still good, though, even with the minor nerf to heat where if you overheat it fully you have to do a manual reload and it won't cool down while using a pistol or whatever. I like it and the GODSAW, but the ARX Galilei is only so-so. Basically a small upgrade to the XMG-100 but with less ammo. Haven't gotten the Butcher yet but I don't play TR as often as the other factions.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
the butcher is alright, kind of lackluster in most fights though I've found. If you can get yourself on a choke point or something during primetime with some medics around you can go absolutely ham though.

I still just use the msw-r like 95% of the time anyways, though :shrug:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

zeldadude posted:

the butcher is alright, kind of lackluster in most fights though I've found. If you can get yourself on a choke point or something during primetime with some medics around you can go absolutely ham though.

I still just use the msw-r like 95% of the time anyways, though :shrug:

Yeah I've found that after getting the directive auraxium weapon I'm retuning my loadouts to use that, an NS-15 variant, or a good handling faction weapon like the MSW-R or Anchor. Getting the Treasured versions from the 9-year anniversary pack has been a good way to keep using one for aurax if I already did it on the normal version. One loadout for longer range engagements and aside from launcher changes I'm doing okay. I do keep a couple of heavy loadouts that are weird.
1) Masamune loadout for dropping on enemy bases to kill turrets. AV weapon, ammo printer and sensor shield implants, main weapon is the Kuwa or GODSAW for vehicle damage, secondary is the crossbow with explosive bolts. I'd use the SPRK Stomper for secondary but I think the crossbow doesn't give you away on the map, similar to the knife, so you only get a red pip for firing the launcher at the end.
2) Destroy Everything for heavy vehicle killing by running near one and unloading. Main weapon can be the Kuwa with UBGL or GODSAW, but I've been using the NS-66 Punisher with UBGL since on heavy it applies havoc and prevents repairs, SPRK-33's Stomper secondary (or crossbow with explosive bolts), Decimator, grenade bandoleer with 4 AV grenades, C4, flak armor, resist shield. Implants are sensor shield and whatever's useful, often sweeper hud or avoidance just to not walk on mines on the way to a sundy or whatever. Works okay, not sure if it's better than a light with C4 but it definitely kills a lot of vehicles that are just sitting there since you can chain the rocket to the stomper to the havoc UBGL and toss av grenades and c4 if you want. Nanite intensive vs. a LA with C4 or even just pulling a tank but I don't think a lot of people expect it. Also the punisher is pretty good for mowing down a defender or two that aren't expecting you there.

3) AA driving loadout. The old Pushing Back mission required exp from vehicle damage rather than an amount of vehicle damage which is harder to get since you can often get no vehicle damage XP with one rocket or two. So if I was trying to finish the mission up I'd use a loadout for driving a harasser with a Walker or Ranger to just drive somewhere and plink at planes. I keep the loadout if I want to use a heavy to pilot a vehicle for some reason. Mostly it's just got sweeper hud, ammo printer, AV grenades as special items but it varies from the previous two loadouts since I use the annihilator for a launcher for fast lockon times. I'd sometimes just need that tick of AA damage to help me out. Since the heavy assault directive still includes Air Deterrance this build isn't useless but I don't use it that much anymore since they changed Pushing Back to just be flat vehicle damage.

4) Scorpion/thumper loadout. This is nearly always for cleaning up a base. If they have a sunderer that's within 200m and there's not much to do other than plink scorpion shots at it this is good fun. The thumper for this one I keep with launch accelerator and Disruptor ammo. It's for shooting up at beacons on towers since you can often get hard to hit ones with that setup and people are expecting you to spend a minute climbing the thing with light assault. Not today, beacon guys.

I also have a quiet loadout for doing sneaky killing but it's usually just an NS-15M or something with a suppressor and sensor shield. With 11 loadouts there's a lot of space to keep random bullshit around, 4 isn't much breathing room without membership and buying extra slots. I kind of wish there were a couple more free ones but at least buying a loadout slot is permanent for the account. I purchased mine when I started playing near release and it lets me keep weird poo poo around with less switching things up at the terminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Full patch notes are up for tomorrow when Fortification is going in:
https://www.planetside2.com/patch-notes/fortification-update

All PC servers will be offline for the following update on Wednesday, May 17, at 6:00am PT (3:00pm CET). The downtime for this update is expected to last up to 2 hours.

Since the notes are long I'll bullet point it
PS1 was released May 20, 2003 so this is the 20 year anniversary of the franchise.

PS Planetside Soundtracks will be up on streaming services on May 20th.

Double XP for all May 17-20

20 year Legacy Event Directive May 17-June 4 (bunch of objectives, rewards the NS-D Helios heavy weapon)

NS-D Helios weapon

quote:

As an ode to the original PlanetSide "Dragon" flame weapon, the NS-D Helios will be blazing a trail into the game as a common pool heavy weapon. Much like the original, this five-round burst incendiary weapon has an alternate fire mode that can lob an explosive blast of flame.

20-Year Legacy Bundle (2999 DBC)

Construction Overhaul
Modules
New Construction Objects
Reworks and Removals
Misc. Construction Polish and More

Oshur base revamps

Vehicle Adjustments
Vehicle Despawn Timers

Player Studio

Misc. Changes, Fixes, and Additions

Anyway click through for details on most of that, I do like to post full patch notes but they're long.