Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

The huge difference between what prospect scouts I respect say about scoot, versus what Adrian Wojnarowski and Jonathan Giviny said on wojs podcast has me very suspicious.

woj was manufacturing opinion

Can you give some detail, I don’t really follow this stuff apart from this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

Can you give some detail, I don’t really follow this stuff apart from this thread

More or less, scoot is seen as an easy number 2 in the class because despite his box score stats and not really trying this year, when he was competing last year, and this year against Vic, he looks like a pg who can do everything, handle the ball, pass, finish, make midrange js, and defend all at the highest level. Plus he plays with a contagious fury/passion

Brandon Miller has size and three point shooting, but stuff like playmaking and finishing are still up in the air.

On Woj's podcast he and Givony acted like there was no argument that Miller was better. And you know how Woj is always playing agent games

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 29, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mean Baby posted:

These are a few of the nightmare trades:
KG to Minnesota

are you the guy who made this?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Stats POTLUCK
Based on Rafael Barlowe's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msZbDOk1rls

I transcribed!

Marquis Nowell got more rebounds than Jett Howard
ah nevermind someone already summarized
-BMill really struggles inside the arc. I don't see the star upside but could really excel as a 4th option in a team. He'd kill in a Cam Johnson/Bojan Bogdanovic role.
-Scoot is a really good cutter but there are red flags in his perceived athletecism all over the place + question marks with his self creation upside.
-Ant Black is right hand dominant. Makes things more difficult for him since teams know he can't shoot. Letting him shoot or drive left is a win for opposing teams already.
-Amen is an open court player. Shooting 85% in transition is insane. Comparing that stat with other prospects may be unfair but extreme numbers almost always tell something special about a player for better or worse. FWIW, John Wall in college shot 77% in transition and 40% in halfcourt (via DX) but his halfcourt struggles pre-draft didn't stop him from becoming a great player in the league. Ja shot 71% at the rim in transition and only shot 52% at the rim in halfcourt but still turn out to be a great player because of his elite playmaking and ability to get to the rim every time on the court. I believe in Amen's upside.
-D. Lively II touch around the rim is suspicious. Might not be a too big of a problem since he's an athletic 7 footer and can just dunk the ball most of the time.
-Good chance T. Hendricks becomes a dunks and 3s guy in the league. Not bad but doesn't scream much upside either.
-that extra tidbit about Marquis Nowell averaging more rebounds than Jett Howard is insane

scoot shot 78% as off ball cutter

wemby shot 40% threes in transity

brandon miller shot 48% on unguarded jumpers off thencatch

cason wallace has some good jumpshooting numbers
which really help his all around caretaker pg persona
45% on isos
59% on midrange pullups

jordan hawkins in 97 percentile in spot up scoring
44% on contested catch and shoot
top 88 percentile on jumpers off catch
day 1 spacer

dereck lively had 14 more ast than to
90% in transition
top 97 percentile as pnr finisher
dereck lively still
77% at the rim

jarace walker--
12 more ast than to
67.7 in transition. 73% on cuts to the rim. 41% on unguarded c&s on 53 attempts

Ant Black-
74% on cuts to rim

Taylor Hendricks--
95th percentile transition
62% from floor
65% from three in transition
93rd percentile post scoring
61.9% pnr scoring
60% on pnpop jumpers

Keyonate George --
47% on unguarded c&s jumpers

Jaylen Hood-Schifino --38% on pull up threes out of pnr

Gradey Dick-41.9% jumpers as pnr ball handler
47% from three as the ball handler in pnr
57% from three in transition
88th percentile on jumpshots
41% on uncontested jumpers off the catch

nick smith-- 81.8% on cuts to the rim
48% uncontested js off the catch

Leonard Miller Cason Wallace and Nick Smith are my midround grab and never regret guys
i had 2 march g league games ripped
and miller looked like his statline with the pts rbs blocks and steal
s
Miller as a rangy pf who can develop those guard skills
nice project

now the UGLY section
wemby 32% on jumpers

scoot bottom 16th percentile on finishing
51% in transition
jalen green effect?
30% iso
40% pnr ball handler
but i think you kinda have to throw this season away for him cause he didn't try like last year cause he knew he was locked 2/3

b mille-31.8% iso
32% jumpers off the dribble

ausar thompson -50% of his layups made

jarace walker-- 53.8% of layups
ant black--32% on jumpers. 21% unguarded catch and shoot. 31% off dribble. non dunk finishing 51.% only made 25% shots going left

Keyontae george-52% at rim. 51% layups. 26% on guarded c&s
(47% unguarded)
91 ast 91 turnover

gradey dick-52% on layups

cason wallace-50% on transition. bottom 28 percentile 😦

jordan hawkins-51% on layups

nick smith-23% on guaaded c&s jumpers

dereck lively 52% of non dunk finish

Noah. CLowney--28% from three, 47 of his fga are threes

vic -38% fg on postups
28% on spotups
86 ast and 126 TO

scoot-22 dunks, missed 6

b miller- 46.8% on layups :(( 😦 😦
only made 29% 3pers in the corners
amen -28.9 on jumpers

cam whitmore- 20 ast , 42 tos
only posted up 3 times and only 1 attempt as a pnr roll man
which is stuff he should be able to do in the NBA

Supreme ugly stat:
Taylor Hendricks -- shot 44.7% on layups
hes like 6'9 and athletic

Jordan Hawkins-14 dunk attempts and missed 5 of them
nick smith-- 35% in transition! (but he was hurt so)

Thanks for reading my transcription

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

[Givony] Brandon Miller sat down with 12 teams at the draft combine, but arrived holding a legal brief written by his attorneys informing teams that he would not be able to comment on specific details regarding his involvement in the lead-up to the fatal shooting of Jamea Jonae Harris.

quote:

“The message I’ve presented to them is just it’s all a lesson learned,” Miller said to a group of reporters at the NBA draft combine, according to USA Today. “You always have to be aware of your surroundings and what you’re surrounded by.

“I feel like that night could’ve changed my career in less that a heartbeat. Just always be aware of your surroundings.”

Asked a follow-up question if he would have done anything differently the night of Jamea Harris’ murder in Tuscaloosa in January, Miller responded, “Like I said, just be more aware of my surroundings and what I’m surrounded by. I think it could have changed the whole night.”

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Good stat dump

xpost

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://streamable.com/zx3vh5

How the gently caress do you embed a streamable anyways?

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 1, 2023

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/draftexpress/status/1664123985813032960?s=46&t=3d9JmXOJWgE8nozHLwUyjQ

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
No huge shocks. Especially when a guy like Edey is definitely making more than a 2nd round contract in NIL.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Cam Whitmore is special. He has an injury risk from his awful landings and frog hopping, but man.

He doesn't just handle contact, he likes contact, he'll spin into a defender at the rim, using their body like a pommel horse, to both catch and redirect his momentum so he can spin into easy aimed layups.

He has that first step that's like, he's covered, there's help, there's a rim protector, but he goes bam, around one guy, bam, around the next guy for an easy bucket.

His dunks are thunderous. He dunks so hard he hurt his thumb at one point.

The no passing ever thing is obviously a glaring problem, but you hope he can learn to be unselfish. It follows on defense. He's great on ball, he slides and bounces along with a ball handler with no problem, but when he has to be off ball he gets lost like a 6 year old ayso player picking dandelions and hugging his teammates. The feel /team concept question is looming over everything for him. The only equal question is development of a pull up jumper, that would unlock superstar potential (whatever that means, I'm using it to mean potential all-nba)

His off the dribble jumpers are a work in progress, they look unorganized right now, but his catch and shoot game is already good.

Imho he and Amen Thompson are tied for 2nd highest upside after Vic in this draft. Like Scoot's upside is much more attainable because he's great now, but they could shoot past him because of size and athleticism.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 2, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1664099719407181826?s=20

This guy is a big ten defensive player of the year and can't loving shoot at all, he won't be drafted, he is already a Chicago Bull and I'll be personally affronted if he is not on the summer league team.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
PD Web described Leonard Miller's shot as TJ Warrenesque, and that is very true

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What can you tell me about Bilal Coulibaly? He's a teammate of Wemby and is apparently a very good defender and apparently Toronto may have promised him

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 3, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What can you tell me about Bilal Coulibaly? He's a teammate of Wemby and is apparently a very good defender and apparently Toronto may have promised him

Not as cool as Wembys other teammate, Steeve Ho You Fat

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Very Toronto guy. 6-6 (maybe taller), plays great defense, very very raw on offense. Maybe can develop a better outside shot, but needs work. He's athletic enough that he'll find some offense in the NBA, especially at the rim and on cuts, but I think he'll look really rough his first year.

He's going to still be 18 on draft day, 19 on season start so he's legit real young. I think Toronto is a bit high but you won't find a guy like him much later so if you like him take him. There's talk that if he came out next year he'd be a top-10 guy but I think it's smart to come out this year if you'll be at least a mid-first. Let people fall in love with your potential more.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Word to the wise: if you watch bilal's highlights on youtube and he's in the mets uniform, remember that's mostly not against top competition in france, its the team specially created for wemby showcasing and developing this year, and bilal started on the jv version and was elevated after playing well and replacing an injured guy.

So a lot of the making it look easy stuff is not going to be that way against real competition. The best they faced was the g league ignite team this year I'd say. And Bilal didn't pop off the screen but he did hold his own defensively.

The rumor is that hes no longer 6'6 and may be 6'9 now and that may be part of why he rocketed up. He is a developmental player. He has tools but he is not going to help you win games for 2+ years

If you're taking moonshots for super toolsy wings, why not, but if you pick him at 12 or something you definitely are overlooking guys who are good at bball now. Boom bust wings are always fun though

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
the mets existed before wemby arrived.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I hope their mascot is monsieur met

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tristeham posted:

the mets existed before wemby arrived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBjelRDKHUk Here's your sign

The team was going to fold, no longer be a going concern. His agent purchased them and cleaned house, new coach, new trainers and a boutique schedule that averaged one game a week so that Wemby could play hard without risking the constant minor injuries he got playing in the french first league last year

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mets 92 hired their current coach, who is also the coach if the French national team, in 2021 when wemby was still on asvel

e: espn put out an article yesterday about wemby's trainer that said the same thing about him going to mets partly because it would be a less intense schedule with a lot less travel.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 4, 2023

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Shear Modulus posted:

Mets 92 hired their current coach, who is also the coach if the French national team, in 2021 when wemby was still on asvel

He was going to retire and Wemby's agent convinced him to stay, excuse me

I feel like i'm surrounded by big bang theory sheldons here i'm trying to talk about prospects

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

He was going to retire and Wemby's agent convinced him to stay, excuse me

I feel like i'm surrounded by big bang theory sheldons here i'm trying to talk about prospects

Ok i didn't know that. I also didn't know the agent bought the team to put wemby on it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Wasn't expecting a Bill Engvall reference in the NBA section of these dead gay forums in tyool 2023 but it's appreciated.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/Balldontlie/status/1665441810666143744

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Scoot/Sharpe backcourt sounds very nice

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Obviously workout footage is useless but it's a good exhibit to show that Scoot is a big boy. He's really wide. He's not a member of the Tyus Jones family. he's thicker than post core stabilized steph by a lot.

6'2 with 6'9 wingspan and just a muscular body. He's a throwback to 90s power guards but he's as pure as they come with a great handle and court vision. He can finish through everybody too.

(🤞 The last top pg prospect looking this beefy was (albeit with way more baby fat) markelle fultz, and he was not scoot's size, like 75% of it🤞)

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Shear Modulus posted:

Ok i didn't know that. I also didn't know the agent bought the team to put wemby on it.

Not trying to bitch you it was just 90 degrees and you know how it goes.

anakha posted:

Wasn't expecting a Bill Engvall reference in the NBA section of these dead gay forums in tyool 2023 but it's appreciated.
You're welcome

This year's draft has 3 guys in the first round who were pretty heavily hyped coming into the year as lottery picks. Nick Smith was #1 in the recruiting class, Jett Howard was up there, and so was Dariq Whitehead. They all played large portions of the year hurt.

This is where you pull the scouting wheat from the chaff. The teams who can compare their prep tape with their small amounts of non injured college tape and try and extrapolate who should go where, and who's doing what, and who would be doing something if they weren't hurt.

It lends me to like nick smith way more than consensus. a little bit for jett but he was already unathletic, dariq i'm unsure of. To me Dariq looks like a nice role player who will shoot the ball well , and the injury made it impossible to guess if his upside is nice 3&D wing or invaluable starter on a playoff team

I do roughly 10x more ruminating on prospects in the Nba n/v discord so feel free to pm me for a link to join if you feel like reading that. warning, I do tend to type 1 sentence at a time

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Obviously workout footage is useless but it's a good exhibit to show that Scoot is a big boy. He's really wide. He's not a member of the Tyus Jones family. he's thicker than post core stabilized steph by a lot.

6'2 with 6'9 wingspan and just a muscular body. He's a throwback to 90s power guards but he's as pure as they come with a great handle and court vision. He can finish through everybody too.

(🤞 The last top pg prospect looking this beefy was (albeit with way more baby fat) markelle fultz, and he was not scoot's size, like 75% of it🤞)

My main takeaway from every scoot video was "this dude is fuckin 19 years old???" Was lebron even that huge as a rookie?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Scoot has MVP potential. As a PG prospect he's probably the best since John Wall? He definitely a better prospect than Ja was at the draft, for example.

Miller's ceiling to me is Jalen Brown low end All-NBA, top 20-30 player in the league. He's 7 or 8 out of ten at almost everything and will at the least be a solid rotation player for a long time, probably a very good starter, maybe even an All-NBA player for a few years. But he's not going to be a number one player on a title contender.

Scoot could be. It's a low chance, like for just about any non-Lebron/Wemby prospect, but it's a chance.

If you're Charlotte take Scoot and figure it out with Ball later. If you do need to trade Ball because both are good but they don't work together for some reason then there will be plenty of takers, that's a great problem to have.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Is Scoot going to be any good as a rookie?

Normally guys like him put up good counting stats as rookies (Ja, D-Rose, Westbrook), but Scoot's 13.5 PER and 53.7% TS in the G-League is making me think he might take some time to develop

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

tanglewood1420 posted:

Scoot has MVP potential. As a PG prospect he's probably the best since John Wall? He definitely a better prospect than Ja was at the draft, for example.

Miller's ceiling to me is Jalen Brown low end All-NBA, top 20-30 player in the league. He's 7 or 8 out of ten at almost everything and will at the least be a solid rotation player for a long time, probably a very good starter, maybe even an All-NBA player for a few years. But he's not going to be a number one player on a title contender.

Scoot could be. It's a low chance, like for just about any non-Lebron/Wemby prospect, but it's a chance.

If you're Charlotte take Scoot and figure it out with Ball later. If you do need to trade Ball because both are good but they don't work together for some reason then there will be plenty of takers, that's a great problem to have.

Do we just ignore Luka Doncîç in this? If so why he's totally a PG

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Forrest on Fire posted:

Do we just ignore Luka Doncîç in this? If so why he's totally a PG

Wasn't he hyped as a swingman coming in?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Wasn't he hyped as a swingman coming in?

I had him in an ESPN fantasy BB league.

He was listed as a PG/SG/PF meaning I could slot him into like 8 out of 10 spots in my lineup in May given week. Just the weirdest mix of roles.

They fixed that the next year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Normally guys like him put up good counting stats as rookies (Ja, D-Rose, Westbrook), but Scoot's 13.5 PER and 53.7% TS in the G-League is making me think he might take some time to develop

Probably not but that's also probably true of everyone including Wemby (which will be more a question of how many games he plays more than anything).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
To me Ja was a bit of a better prospect but part of that was just how hard he rolled at all moments. Which I get is a bit regressive from a scouting prospect.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bilal rumors

https://twitter.com/GlobalScouting_/status/1665415471062024194?s=20

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The idea that one of the teams with multiple picks might swing for the fences with him is probably accurate.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Second hand from a pod - Ignite had really poor roster construction and virtually no floor spacing. Teams packed the paint against Scoot. He will have a lot more floor spacing in the NBA.

Watching him against Wemby, his handles, quickness, and vision are what impress me the most. He is a great playmaker. His shot reminds me of D-Rose and Ja coming out, he has the confidence to shoot and it looks good, but needs some work.

It would be a very Charlotte thing to pass on him for “fit”.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dejan Bimble posted:

More or less, scoot is seen as an easy number 2 in the class because despite his box score stats and not really trying this year, when he was competing last year, and this year against Vic, he looks like a pg who can do everything, handle the ball, pass, finish, make midrange js, and defend all at the highest level. Plus he plays with a contagious fury/passion

Brandon Miller has size and three point shooting, but stuff like playmaking and finishing are still up in the air.

On Woj's podcast he and Givony acted like there was no argument that Miller was better. And you know how Woj is always playing agent games
I listened to a couple of draft podcasts and these guys acknowledge all the buzz is Brandon Miller will go #2 but they're putting him like #5 on their personal lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Kobe Brown might be a target for the Grizzlies. Any chance he’ll drop into the second round, or are they gonna have to use their 25th pick on him? Assuming it isn’t traded, of course.