Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose fault is it?
Smedly
Higby
Wrel
View Results

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
This looks neat, I'll check it out once I need a break from PS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
What's nice about PlanetSide 2 compared to other comparable FPSs is the willingness to let the classes breathe as their own thing, a light assault handles completely differently from a Heavy Assault from an Infiltrator even though they share a few guns together

The mobility options are really nice as is the mobile spawning, it's got that energy that Section 8: Prejudice did in terms of big flowing maps

Letting 5/6 classes get access to AV options is a great design choice too because it keeps vehicles in check compared to just HESH farming all day

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Since fisu is down, there's always Voidwell. It's a little different but still better than the main site:
https://voidwell.com/ps2/player/5429399479557513073/stats

Voidwell has alert tracking but there's also https://ps2alerts.com/ which also has that primarily and has some other stats. All of these sites just pull from the API but they arrange the data differently.

I did some Cannonball! event stuff last night on NC when Oshur was the only continent open and it was actually pretty fun but requires a specific setup where you can find enemies near water you can park a corsair near. I launched myself at these VS on this cliff/construction base probably a dozen times but only landed in the right spot a few times, plus they blew up my corsair a few times so I had some other fights down below. After I finished with the NS-11A Heatwave I switched to drifters light assault to make the jumps easier. You can kill anyone after a corsair launch for it to count unless you die (if you get revived it clears whatever tag you have for being launched, kind of like the transport assist thing for vehicles).

Here's a few of the more successful jumps, even though I started with one where I overshot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4fSMcE3m7k
The music is just from the OTXO soundtrack.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Since fisu is down, there's always Voidwell. It's a little different but still better than the main site:
https://voidwell.com/ps2/player/5429399479557513073/stats

Voidwell has alert tracking but there's also https://ps2alerts.com/ which also has that primarily and has some other stats. All of these sites just pull from the API but they arrange the data differently.

I did some Cannonball! event stuff last night on NC when Oshur was the only continent open and it was actually pretty fun but requires a specific setup where you can find enemies near water you can park a corsair near. I launched myself at these VS on this cliff/construction base probably a dozen times but only landed in the right spot a few times, plus they blew up my corsair a few times so I had some other fights down below. After I finished with the NS-11A Heatwave I switched to drifters light assault to make the jumps easier. You can kill anyone after a corsair launch for it to count unless you die (if you get revived it clears whatever tag you have for being launched, kind of like the transport assist thing for vehicles).

Here's a few of the more successful jumps, even though I started with one where I overshot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4fSMcE3m7k
The music is just from the OTXO soundtrack.

Looks like you're running ASP Assault Rifle and Shotgun Secondary on the Engineer? How do you like the Assault Rifles compared to the Carbines?

That's really amazing on the Corsair launches, before the event I didn't even realize Corsairs had that capability - make the tall cliffs on Oshur a lot more in perspective now that the design was you could launch folks up it - are there any other cool tricks to making Corsairs useful on Oshur?

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Letting 5/6 classes get access to AV options is a great design choice too because it keeps vehicles in check compared to just HESH farming all day

haven't played much in the past year or two but that was absolutely not the case on emerald back when I did play, there's nothing you can do against an armor zerg of like 40+ loving prowlers. it was frustrating to fight against TR because of it and also frustrating playing AS TR because nobody would get on the drat cap point, they'd just sit in their tanks and watch the base be capped lol

I will say I haven't seen many armor columns like that recently though, TR was by far the worst offender for that back then

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

zeldadude posted:

haven't played much in the past year or two but that was absolutely not the case on emerald back when I did play, there's nothing you can do against an armor zerg of like 40+ loving prowlers. it was frustrating to fight against TR because of it and also frustrating playing AS TR because nobody would get on the drat cap point, they'd just sit in their tanks and watch the base be capped lol

I will say I haven't seen many armor columns like that recently though, TR was by far the worst offender for that back then

Oh yeah I'm on Emerald too and have been on the other side of a couple of armor zergs on Indar in particular and they're absolutely rough because there's no hope of actually getting into C4 or Rocklet range so either it's AMR Engineer plinking or anti armor lock on Heavy Assault plinking while you hope some squad has the coordination to slam a couple of liberators onto the equation from another point or send in another armor zerg for a big scrum

I've also survived a couple of those zergs long enough that they folded and I have no idea how beyond what must have been outfit on outfit smashing

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Looks like you're running ASP Assault Rifle and Shotgun Secondary on the Engineer? How do you like the Assault Rifles compared to the Carbines?

That's really amazing on the Corsair launches, before the event I didn't even realize Corsairs had that capability - make the tall cliffs on Oshur a lot more in perspective now that the design was you could launch folks up it - are there any other cool tricks to making Corsairs useful on Oshur?

I mostly run LMGs on my engineer (unless it's a loadout for driving/piloting), but I use assault rifles now and then. In this case it's because I was using the NS-11A Heatwave to finish the Beat the Heat directive of the event. The NS-11A is pretty good, although I think the variants like NS-11A Frontline and PSA-02 Diamondback reskins feel better to use even though they perform identically. There's also the Endeavor variant from one of the anniversary packs that is mechanically the same but makes pew pew type noises and has some different scopes. On NC I've been using the GODSAW a lot since I just got it a few months ago but for my infantry fighting engineer loadout I change it up to whatever I need. It's pretty straightforward, you just take an autoturret to use as cover/distraction, med kits, whatever gun you want to use and the Viscount secondary. Suit slot and second implant varies. For the suit slot I will often run Flak or a bandoleer for four sticky grenades, although I don't feel that I use them enough to warrant it most of the time. Tossing frag grenades over walls or bouncing them into rooms feels like a better way to get kills than four sticky grenades, but they can be super satisfying when someone gets on one them and runs to their buddies to explode a group. I had a five kill with one grenade the other night. I often use sensor shield for my implant but I've been running robotics tech if I think I'll spend time near the autoturret since it makes it a lot more durable.

I have other engineer loadouts for general piloting (solo), logistics piloting (driving and air), AMR, Longer range (usually a scout rifle build), anti-infiltrator, etc. Most of them don't even use infravision!

I do like having AR access on my Engineer simply because I don't really like playing medic and I want to work on AR directives, but I usually take that ASP point after doing engineer LMG and shotgun secondary, LA SMG secondary, HA Heavy weapon secondary, Medic Scout rifle secondary which are the main ones to add flexibility imo. I do okay when I do play medic but I feel like my attention is always split between trying to heal and res and keeping myself alive and fighting. I also get tired of chasing people to heal them. In the last couple of years I've decided that since I hate getting ressed and instantly dying, I try to always clear an area before I res anyone, and that means keeping myself alive more than anything. I will still toss res grenades into bad situations if I think it helps but in general I won't try to res someone who died just inside a door unless I think they'll make it out or the enemy is dead. Doesn't always work but I get tired of being ressed into a hail of gunfire so I try to be picky about it and I rarely take random resses unless I think it might be alright. It's funny because of how the directives are set up I'm closer to Auraxium medic on Wrackwither than engineer.

When you get a lot of extra ASP points like towards the end of ASP 3 they end up in stuff like cross-class grenade usage and discounts on heavy air and armor and stuff. With the ASP discount and outfit discount together it costs me around 225 nanites to pull a Chimera tank or something.

edit: oh and about Corsairs, it's hard to use them well due to needing them to be in water. That said, I've seen some good setups for assaults where there's a sunderer near one so people can spawn, hop in the corsair, jump in the passenger seats and use the launch tubes to get up a cliff or over onto a tower or whatever. Like a lot of things, there's an advantage to asymmetric warfare where you can attack but they can't attack back, but the corsair itself is kind of vulnerable if someone spots it or goes looking for it. They also have the disadvantage of not being able to get ammo except for from other vehicles with ammo supply.

I built an Oshur base on a beach once and someone pulled a corsair up to it, so we put up some walls to make it a bit more protected and used it as a launcher. It was before the fortification update but I'm sure it would still work. I think you could use them as a Valkyrie alternative for assaulting stuff sometimes but they're a bit less flexible since there's less water than air.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 11, 2023

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Engineer ASP and Corsair chat
This is good info, thanks, I hadn't even considered how solid a LMG Engineer could be like with a spare hardlight barrier, which is why I guess the Heavy Assault gets the ASP reserve hardlight barrier option haha

I've been recently into the AMR engineer just to plink at vehicles and A2G aircraft to get them to go focus elsewhere and it's not the most effective points wise or K/D wise and it's funny as heck so it's a good time; both the TR DAGR-81 and the VS VX4-3 Slicer cycle pretty fast with a tight cone of fire so it's pretty easy to get a bunch of shots out through hipfire

One thing the air alerts have been doing is getting me to try out ESFs and they do seem fun, I just need to put in a bunch of time to get good at switching between flight mode and hover mode and maybe get some flight time with the wing mounts for variety - been using the tomcats/A2A photon pods for softening up Galaxies but all the pro guides seem to be confident the default nose gun is all you need for A2A so that's heartening

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

New Prime Gaming bundle:
https://gaming.amazon.com/shadow-strike-bundle/dp/amzn1.pg.item.163d59b4-8d10-43cc-88dd-5e6e1a7834d6

Kind of ugly but it's free*.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Rexxed posted:

Kind of ugly but it's free*.

Enough about Pso2, what about the bundle.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

So you guys have heard of R18. Big VS outfit, there was a bunch of leaks of their discord showing them being really racist and saying pedo stuff. Generally bad people. Originally a bunch of folks left and made a new outfit (END1 or something) and R18 vanished but then it came back. So last night they led a push (helped along by a hacker who just happened to be flying around in a max on VS) all the way to the NC warpgate on Indar. I was on NC and with no territory the main thing to do was pull a Vanguard and blast whoever. So after a while of that we were recapping Capper Ravine and I saw them running south from Old Auraxium Mines. I had to pull back and repair but when I was done they let me hear some recursion voice pack lines I don't think I've heard before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlrDciY4ygA

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Rexxed posted:

So you guys have heard of R18. Big VS outfit, there was a bunch of leaks of their discord showing them being really racist and saying pedo stuff. Generally bad people. Originally a bunch of folks left and made a new outfit (END1 or something) and R18 vanished but then it came back. So last night they led a push (helped along by a hacker who just happened to be flying around in a max on VS) all the way to the NC warpgate on Indar. I was on NC and with no territory the main thing to do was pull a Vanguard and blast whoever. So after a while of that we were recapping Capper Ravine and I saw them running south from Old Auraxium Mines. I had to pull back and repair but when I was done they let me hear some recursion voice pack lines I don't think I've heard before.

The VS hacker migrated from TR on Indar earlier in the evening so he was haunting the board for a good solid five hours or so

A couple folks managed to C4 the hacker which is funny

During this time Emerald also got to witness the "pede" on Esamir which is the longest convoy of repair Sunderers I've seen; I wish I got a map screen shot of it when I was on VS

What kind of topgun do you like on your MBTs? I've been running the default Basilisk equivalents and finally have enough spare certs to kit out vehicles a little bit

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I like an AA gun so you have some way to make A2G ESFs leave you alone. Both are decent; Walker gives you more ability to entertain yourself with long range plinking, ranger locks down your personal space really solid.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If I'm running solo I'll use a Walker to dissuade random air. If it's going to be an armor brawl I'll usually go with a halberd (or enforcer on NC or gatekeeper on TR) since I tend to fight from further back. Close range armor I think every faction has some better choices like the Mjolnir on NC or Vulcan on TR. I don't roll with those much since they're pretty good but only for close range. If it could be any situation but I'm not worried about air I will use a faction basilisk like the trawler, palisade, etc. Even the basic Basilisk is decent at hurting everything, just a little boring.

On NSO it's easier to pick a secondary since there's only three, but I have similar considerations. The Siren is good against air but everyone who hops in my tank just blasts ground targets with it and tends to waste ammo. I still roll with it for solo just to make random planes go away. HCG is a pretty solid faction heavy machinegun so it works as an all-rounder. I kind of wish the Siren worked more like a high velocity NEST launcher like the Javelin gets so it would target ground vehicles as well as air, but it would be kind of strong so we just get the siren. If you haven't tried it, it's like Coyotes on an ESF, or like an 8 shot Striker launcher basically, it'll blast out a stream of little rockets that lock onto air if they get close.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Rexxed posted:

You should use the Marxo voicepack.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Oh hey, I had a great vanguard run ruined by that flying invisible invincible max too.

I got a guy screaming for my blood because he tactically snuck up on me as an infil and i turned around and plugged him in the head with the showdown, I barely noticed him and pushed lmb like a confused screaming animal and lucked out.
Stupid and lucky beating smart and skilled is NC life baby.

My current arch nemesis is some guy on NC who walls off entire loving continents. He likes sealing off the eastern side of amerish, especially. Absolutely infuriating when you're trying to pull up more sundies/tanks, etc.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 18, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ronwayne posted:

Oh hey, I had a great vanguard run ruined by that flying invisible invincible max too.

I got a guy screaming for my blood because he tactically snuck up on me as an infil and i turned around and plugged him in the head with the showdown, I barely noticed him and pushed lmb like a confused screaming animal and lucked out.
Stupid and lucky beating smart and skilled is NC life baby.

My current arch nemesis is some guy on NC who walls off entire loving continents. He likes sealing off the eastern side of amerish, especially. Absolutely infuriating when you're trying to pull up more sundies/tanks, etc.

I don't think there's anyone who cries as much as a salty infil. I've had more hackusations from them than anyone. They're always "taking a video" to prove I'm doing something suspicious and I'm just like, sure, be certain to show me hunting you down with the flashlight in the most obvious spots. It's amazing they can get so mad about dying one time.

I finally got the CB-ARX Newton last night after finally auraxing the CB-200 on NSO and it's an interesting gun so far. It's got the special ability of having tight aim without ADS and slightly better if you hold down ADS (but it doesn't zoom at all, it's similar to the Showdown). It seems uniquely suited to the LA and probably not so much to engineer, but I don't use carbines much on the engineer anyway.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I use scout rifles on anyone that can hold them, there's this infuriating middle-long range area where carbines stop working, assault rifles and LMG are awkward, and sniper rifles are too slow, and that's the fight range I seem to be getting myself into, and there's a few, like the warden and stalker, that don't entirely stuck if you're caught in short range holding one.

Also the bishop loads sabot rounds which means I can stand behind the other blue berries and fire through them toward the enemy, vital in tunnel fights/meat grinders/farms.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Ronwayne posted:

I use scout rifles on anyone that can hold them, there's this infuriating middle-long range area where carbines stop working, assault rifles and LMG are awkward, and sniper rifles are too slow, and that's the fight range I seem to be getting myself into, and there's a few, like the warden and stalker, that don't entirely stuck if you're caught in short range holding one.

Also the bishop loads sabot rounds which means I can stand behind the other blue berries and fire through them toward the enemy, vital in tunnel fights/meat grinders/farms.

Lacerta is love, lacerta is life.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Had fun swapping kills with you last night on Nason's, Rexxed.
I've spent a long time thinking the AR-203 was a repeat-press burst rifle like the the pulsar burst and other burst rifles. It always fired pretty slowly between bursts but because it stayed so drill-like on target I thought that was the trade off. Last two days I've found out that holding down it does a burst-like fully automatic.

I am dumb, although now I am tearing poo poo up with this gun!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spiteski posted:

Had fun swapping kills with you last night on Nason's, Rexxed.
I've spent a long time thinking the AR-203 was a repeat-press burst rifle like the the pulsar burst and other burst rifles. It always fired pretty slowly between bursts but because it stayed so drill-like on target I thought that was the trade off. Last two days I've found out that holding down it does a burst-like fully automatic.

I am dumb, although now I am tearing poo poo up with this gun!

Yeah, I noticed you on your NSO! I think the automatic burst fire guns are mostly a NSO thing for now since they gave us some weird ones to vary up the lineup, I guess. The AR-N203 does it and also the PMG-3XB SMG. With headshots they can be really lethal and I even had someone send me a tell of just ? when I quickly killed their heavy assault with SMG bursts. It's definitely my favorite of the NSO SMGs but I still switch it up between that and the Kappa when I want to have fun vaporizing people. I had a bunch of kills on VS with the Canis last night, as well. Hermes cloak is a quick way to zoom around hosing people down with unstable ammo, I wish more factions got it.

For the NSO ARs I've found I don't mind the AR-100 but it's pretty basic. The AR-101 feels like a much more accurate gun despite the stats being similar, and then there's the N203 and the NS and NSX guns. I don't use ARs that often but I'm probably going to start to use them more on my engineer since I got the LMG and Carbine directives done. I wish they'd add some more A7 weapons, they could easily put in 5-6 new ones a year and keep people entertained without making them impossible to get. I'm capped on A7 on three characters now.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Cripes that's a lot of work haha.
I did land on the 101 as well, not sure why but it feels better mid range while still peppering at hip-fire range accurately.
I'm really enjoying my NSO, which is a bit of a bugger because I just double-boosted my main for 6 months and now I'm feeling guilty about not playing them. Might just turbo nerd that guy on double XP weekends and then play NSO the rest of the time.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spiteski posted:

Cripes that's a lot of work haha.
I did land on the 101 as well, not sure why but it feels better mid range while still peppering at hip-fire range accurately.
I'm really enjoying my NSO, which is a bit of a bugger because I just double-boosted my main for 6 months and now I'm feeling guilty about not playing them. Might just turbo nerd that guy on double XP weekends and then play NSO the rest of the time.

The biggest gains in a day tend to be from doing missions quickly if there's quick missions to do, so I usually log in on my characters and knock out some fast ones if they're on my list and I have time. To me that means most class missions except sawbones (since exp for healing/shield repair is only fast if there's a huge fight and you can get in the right spot), Message Courier, Skyfire, Soldier and Shepherd (if you have an alt account to get squad XP with real quick), stuff like that. Operational Flexibility can be easy if it's using the resupply/repair/destroy a vehicle parts, but it can also be annoying if it's taking revives and heals from sawbones and you don't have that mission as well. Other people feel differently about Sawbones but I have a lot of problems getting those healing ticks unless I'm in the exact right spot and time. Originally Pushing Back required exp ticks for damaging enemy vehicles which happen far less often than you hit the vehicles, so it was frustrating too and they changed it to flat damage. I wish they'd change Sawbones to heal or replenish shields a set amount as well.

Anyway, I usually play for an alert or two on whatever character I'm focusing on, then cycle through the rest just doing quick missions. Sometimes it can feel bad to log out if there's an alert ongoing but either I remind myself it's a marathon and not a sprint, or I just decide to have fun and stick it out until the alert ends or whatever. It still takes a while since I have a character on all the factions on Emerald and Connery but I don't worry too much about Connery since it's not really my main server. If I don't have time I just log in for my 48 membership certs a day.

If they ever merge Emerald and Connery I'm going to have so many guys on one server. I already have two TR characters on Emerald because they merged Mattherson and Waterson and I didn't feel like deleting the extra.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Rexxed posted:

The biggest gains in a day tend to be from doing missions quickly if there's quick missions to do, so I usually log in on my characters and knock out some fast ones if they're on my list and I have time. To me that means most class missions except sawbones (since exp for healing/shield repair is only fast if there's a huge fight and you can get in the right spot), Message Courier, Skyfire, Soldier and Shepherd (if you have an alt account to get squad XP with real quick), stuff like that. Operational Flexibility can be easy if it's using the resupply/repair/destroy a vehicle parts, but it can also be annoying if it's taking revives and heals from sawbones and you don't have that mission as well. Other people feel differently about Sawbones but I have a lot of problems getting those healing ticks unless I'm in the exact right spot and time. Originally Pushing Back required exp ticks for damaging enemy vehicles which happen far less often than you hit the vehicles, so it was frustrating too and they changed it to flat damage. I wish they'd change Sawbones to heal or replenish shields a set amount as well.

Anyway, I usually play for an alert or two on whatever character I'm focusing on, then cycle through the rest just doing quick missions. Sometimes it can feel bad to log out if there's an alert ongoing but either I remind myself it's a marathon and not a sprint, or I just decide to have fun and stick it out until the alert ends or whatever. It still takes a while since I have a character on all the factions on Emerald and Connery but I don't worry too much about Connery since it's not really my main server. If I don't have time I just log in for my 48 membership certs a day.

If they ever merge Emerald and Connery I'm going to have so many guys on one server. I already have two TR characters on Emerald because they merged Mattherson and Waterson and I didn't feel like deleting the extra.

Yea I find Sawbones takes easily the longest, but I tend to just grab a flash and drop a mending beacon at a doorway of a farm fight and it's done in 5min. Bit harder in the off hours when it's 50% people that are good running around poppin heads, and 50% of... well me.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Spiteski posted:

Yea I find Sawbones takes easily the longest, but I tend to just grab a flash and drop a mending beacon at a doorway of a farm fight and it's done in 5min. Bit harder in the off hours when it's 50% people that are good running around poppin heads, and 50% of... well me.

This is where you load up the lightning or vanguard with HESH and starting being the "poo poo" in other people's "poo poo happens".

And yes, the C-4 fairies, keep in mind is pretty easy to bait them into suicide charges where you back up at full speed and they feel the need to continue their charge until you can shoot them out of the sky.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ronwayne posted:

This is where you load up the lightning or vanguard with HESH and starting being the "poo poo" in other people's "poo poo happens".

And yes, the C-4 fairies, keep in mind is pretty easy to bait them into suicide charges where you back up at full speed and they feel the need to continue their charge until you can shoot them out of the sky.

Pfft, Spiteski killed my Chimera with the Kingsnake a few times so I'm sure he knows. Speaking of Kingsnakes and c4, this was from a while back. It was an alert and they were pushing to our warpgate so I felt okay wrecking this sundy. The kingsnake is very good, and while I haven't tested the difference it feels like it gets a bit more elevation than some of the other MBT guns. I am not great with it but I don't play TR that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RURXY45Lbi0

I felt a little bad for that LA but he almost got me with the punisher impulse jump at first.

I should also link Yawgga's videos since he's really good at LA surfing and getting way out there to kill tanks and stuff. If you play late on Emerald he's on a lot recently. I wasn't sure at first, but from his videos I'm pretty sure now that all the auraxium carbines can have an impulse grenade ubgl. I only have the Fortuna and Newton but the Fortuna equips one if you put nothing on the rail, and the Newton has one as an accessory to put on the rail. Impulse grenades/UBGL have added a little tribes flavor to the game and while it's not exactly the same, I'm here for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch7-wTToN9w

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Double posting because there's an update tomorrow (or later today, Wednesday). Looks mostly like the stuff that has been on the test server with flail/glaive changes and new implants:
https://www.planetside2.com/patch-notes/july-19-pc-update-2023

quote:

Game servers will go down for our scheduled pc update tomorrow @ 6am pt / 3pm cest. for a 3hr downtime window.

Tides of Summer Event
Operation Tidebreaker

Summer directives are back with Operation Tidebreaker! Complete a variety of challenges from July 5 through July 31 to earn summer-themed Lumifiber trim for the Corsair and Harasser.
Summer Bundles

Fiery Ares Helmet, stylish Lightning Surfbreaker Plating, and razor-sharp Corsair Surfcutter Plating make their debut in the Depot. Available for a limited time.
Liberation Bundle, Stars and Stripes Contrails Bundle, flare guns, soldier soakers, and sparkler hood ornaments return to the Depot for a limited time.
Double XP for ALL

To celebrate the start of Operation Tidebreaker all players will receive double experience rewards from July 21 through July 23!

New Implants
New implants have been added to the game. These implants are available from Basic Implant Packs, Deluxe Implant Packs, ISO-4 Recycler, and the Implant Crafting interface.

Juggernaut

Melee attacks knock enemies away a short distance. MAX only.
Deadshot

When your total health drops below [20/20/20/20/30]% your weapon's cone of fire improves by [5/7/10/12/15]% for [5/5/7/10/12] seconds.
Rapid Response

While wielding a beneficial construction module your sprint speed is increased by [7/10/13/15/15]%. At max rank, the time to install beneficial modules is reduced by 50%.
Each time you revive an ally a charge is added to Karma. At [30/27/24/20/20] charges, your next death allows you to self-revive once at [50/50/50/50/100]% health. Redeploying or using an equipment terminal will wipe your current progress. Combat Medic only.
Air Drop

Upon exiting a vehicle Jump Jet recharge rate is increased by [7/7/7/7/10]% for [8/10/12/15/20] seconds. Light Assault only. 30 second cooldown after triggering.
Overcharge

While overshield is active your primary weapon's bullets will now pierce through one infantry target before stopping. While this implant is equipped your overshield's maximum energy will be reduced by [30/25/20/15/15]%. Heavy Assault only.
Dev Note: A massive thanks to those who tested and provided feedback about these (and other) implants during the weeks they were iterated upon on the Public Test Server. Improvements were made for everything from balancing to names. And while the release may not be perfect, some potentially meta-breaking mistakes were avoided with the invaluable help of our community.

New Construction Targeting Lasers
Targeting Darts for the Glaive, Flail, and Orbital Strike Uplink have been retired
Glaive, Flail, and Orbital Strike Uplink now use a Targeting Laser to paint their targets
Acquire Time: 3000ms
Min Distance (from player): 20m
Max Distance (from player): 150m
Targets must be approximately 175m away from the related artillery piece (this range is unchanged).
Dev Note: These were previewed prior to the Fortification update, later mentioned in the Fortification patch notes, and are now ready for the Live environment. The new targeting system allows for more counter-play when painting a target as the player must remain exposed for the duration of the acquisition time and is no longer able to "lob" targeting darts from relative safety (or cloak and run to safety while the dart is still in the air).

Construction Changes
Glaive IPC

Now stops firing after each volley.
Added warning text to indicate an artillery strike for players in the area.
Adjusted a socket so the terminal interaction prompt will no longer move as the cannon rotates.
The Flail

Adjusted smoke indicator to red smoke to reduce confusion with squad smoke.

Added warning text to indicate an artillery strike for players in the area.

UI Changes
Disabling Social Icons in the "Waypoints and Nameplate Options" will no longer display a vehicle icon
Light vehicle icons are now being displayed for construction bases
Removed timer for vehicle abilities that have a progress bar

Bugfixes
Adjusted rock placement in and around Seapost J8 to prevent players from getting stuck.
Corrected color and texture issues with a variety of helmets and armors.
Previewed Cold Fire afterburner effects no longer persist longer than desired
Fixed shadow clipping when piloting an aircraft
Fixed reload animation on "Endeavor" weapons

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Okay, so its now more like the start craft terran ghost/nukes.

Also while there's always griping in chat, tonight some TR guys were complaining how Combined Arms Intiative update killed the game and caused an unrecoverable amount of players to rage quit by rendering vehicles useless, and that one of the devs told the players to "let them eat cake" by saying they deserved to be aggro'd because they only 'had one playstyle'. No idea since all that was before my time, I think.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ronwayne posted:

Okay, so its now more like the start craft terran ghost/nukes.

Also while there's always griping in chat, tonight some TR guys were complaining how Combined Arms Intiative update killed the game and caused an unrecoverable amount of players to rage quit by rendering vehicles useless, and that one of the devs told the players to "let them eat cake" by saying they deserved to be aggro'd because they only 'had one playstyle'. No idea since all that was before my time, I think.

That was a big gripe a few years ago when the CAI went in to revamp things. I think it was in 2017 and in general it redid resistances, AV weapons a little bit, and in some cases made vehicles more vulnerable. I honestly got more into the game past 2018 and can hardly remember every change that happened before that since I've played a lot more since.

Here were the stated goals but I don't think they really met all of them: https://www.planetside2.com/news/dev-diary-combined-arms-ps2-2017

I think a lot of ESF pilots didn't like having things changed up because they were used to air dueling amongst themselves then going and farming infantry for a while. Yet, there's still quite a lot of them playing and I'm not sure how much it really affected specifics since I mostly die to any good pilots. I still run into liberator pilots with very high KDR who seem to just dominate when they're in the air like the guys in [N] and some others on Emerald.

There was also the removal of the ability for the rumble seat rider to repair the Harasser and Valkyrie which was a pretty big deal but they're still pretty heavily used. I think harassers have always been best working in groups and I still see that from time to time. I think I've run into 4-5 NC harassers doing harasser ops in the last week a couple of times and TR now and then as well. An individual harasser isn't quite as strong without being able to repair on the move (beyond rep grenades and fire suppression) but they felt pretty overpowered when they could do it. I like to chase harassers in an AP lightning with Racer and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but it used to be very hard to get more than 2 shots on them before they'd just take off and repair the whole way.

Valkyries is a weird one because they're still pretty heavily used to drop squads on points and harass bases when there aren't too many people shooting at them, especially now with routers being so heavily nerfed in the last year or so. The Pelter has also become kind of the dominant gun on it for most situations and it's pretty good. CAS-14 does still mow down infantry but the pelter is better for hit and run and can kill anything. Also, there's still cool teams doing stuff like this now and then with battle valk stuff. I found this channel because I was pulling a rep bus to help a solo colossus driver one night and this valk showed up and dropped like 4 heavies on it and blew it up very fast a couple of years back and they posted the clip on reddit. I think Yoshi loves candy unlisted some of the videos but there used to be more on the channel with crazy valkyrie flying and dropping guys on vehicles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqlA0mereRs

Ultimately I think CAI was the "they changed stuff and it was different so I quit" moment for a lot of people. It isn't uncommon for games but the population has been steady with ups and downs for years. It's a bit low now but Fortification was kind of a mediocre big feature release (not that it wasn't a lot of work but it hasn't heavily changed the face of the game even though I like the new construction stuff more in general) and a lot of folks are trying Battlebit due to the mass 256 vs. 256 appeal. I know in the past I've often quit games I've played a long time when something changes and I don't want to adjust, but in retrospect it's often games that I'd either been burned out on or that dev teams really hosed up (Ultima Online specifically and that happened in like 2002 so... barely relevant). In PS2's case I think it's more that folks were burned out and rage quit when something changed, since it's always been a unique kind of game where that there's lots of ways to have fun if your primary one isn't working out. Some folks just don't want to change it up at all and get angry if they might need to. With live service games the benefits of having a dev team work on things and release new stuff is that the game will change, but the downside is that the game will change over time and folks may dislike the changes and quit.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Whoof last night was rough. Some VS hacker "SillyIsKilly" or something just creamed every front with teleporting, shooting everyone in spawn rooms through walls with a sunderer so it ended up being 100% capped continent on Esamir for VS.
It feels like every second night has someone flying around hacking blatantly (not even counting soft-hacking) which is pretty shithouse. It does beg the question why they still struggle after 10 years to have any sort of good anti-cheat, or at least a threshold for reporting to auto temp-ban pending a real person review. I get that live GMing is expensive but this sort of hacking regularity is detrimental as hell for MMOs

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Spiteski posted:

Whoof last night was rough. Some VS hacker "SillyIsKilly" or something just creamed every front with teleporting, shooting everyone in spawn rooms through walls with a sunderer so it ended up being 100% capped continent on Esamir for VS.
It feels like every second night has someone flying around hacking blatantly (not even counting soft-hacking) which is pretty shithouse. It does beg the question why they still struggle after 10 years to have any sort of good anti-cheat, or at least a threshold for reporting to auto temp-ban pending a real person review. I get that live GMing is expensive but this sort of hacking regularity is detrimental as hell for MMOs

They've got a couple of auto ban thresholds and unfortunately it's usually "this person is getting 900 kills per minute, that's not right"

They don't have enough staff for live GMs so the best folks can do is mass report and wait for a ban a few hours later and that's little comfort during prime time hours

Sometimes folks can C4 the flying MAXs though and that's always a win

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spiteski posted:

Yeah, SallyIsSilly killed my liberator instantly with a skyguard. Like we went from 100 to 0 because while they weren't flying, they moved faster than normal and had perfect aim with no bloom. It's a shame when some hacker decides to just shut down the game, especially when pop is low, but R18 was on again at the same time. Incidentally, when you point out in yell chat that there's a VS hacker on they will always retort and pick someone on your faction they call cheating to misdirect the conversation and there's always a lot of them on to make it seem like that is now the problem. It's a really easy way to just deflect what possibly one of their guys is doing (I have no evidence of that, just that they're benefitting from it) since there's no point in arguing with a bunch of people. Same thing happens when you point out they're pedos or whatever. It's really stupid but so is arguing in yell chat.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kids don't gamble with your ISO-4. It worked out for me but it might not for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Mn4nHgB28

On my NSO I've played a lot in the last few years, I had every implant but Countershade, so I was just stacking up ISO-4 until yesterday's patch. Originally I was going to spend 45K ISO to craft it but with the new implants available it made more sense to loot box it. I did get Countershade from the 42K ISO-4 and all but one of the new green implants (which I crafted). Then I spent all my certs on 750 cert implant boxes for the ISO-4 to upgrade a couple of the new implants. It's interesting to have something to work towards again.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Kids don't gamble with your ISO-4. It worked out for me but it might not for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Mn4nHgB28

On my NSO I've played a lot in the last few years, I had every implant but Countershade, so I was just stacking up ISO-4 until yesterday's patch. Originally I was going to spend 45K ISO to craft it but with the new implants available it made more sense to loot box it. I did get Countershade from the 42K ISO-4 and all but one of the new green implants (which I crafted). Then I spent all my certs on 750 cert implant boxes for the ISO-4 to upgrade a couple of the new implants. It's interesting to have something to work towards again.

The ISO recyclers are surprisingly good value if you don't care what you get out of them, I keep slamming new recyclers instead of saving up the 2475 ISO to upgrade to level 5 and I still don't mind

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I got infravision with my first roll and its been downhill ever since

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The ISO recyclers are surprisingly good value if you don't care what you get out of them, I keep slamming new recyclers instead of saving up the 2475 ISO to upgrade to level 5 and I still don't mind

A lot of implants get a little bonus at 5 but some don't matter, only a few are important. I had them all at five, though. I'm not too worried about lacking the Juggernaut implant on my NSO, I'd rather people stay close so I can melee them while my stupid grenade printer cools down. I tried the overcharge implant a little bit tonight but it's pretty rare to shoot through one person and hit another and have it be worth the implant spot over survivalist or sensor shield or something so far. I do line stuff up with the Larion PPC on tanks, but vehicles and base turrets are a little different than infantry.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Overcharge might be useful in storming hallways.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Overcharge might be useful in storming hallways.

Yeah, its tunnel fighting and mass mayhem where everyone is dying every 2-10 seconds. Good k/d to be had if you're lurking behind it all with a gun that can shoot through your own side. Also shooting through one NC to shoot the red or purple guy in front of him is just part of living free (of the mortal coil)

Speaking of which I got extremely confused last night, and c-4'd an enemy liberator. Then I noticed two of my squadmates were dead next to it and were "?!?!?!" in chat.

It turns out uh

-I had infravision on, thus making me unable to see the blue on the liberator.
-A spotted, extreme threat bounty enemy was underneath it fighting said squadmates as they tried to fix the liberator, causing the little crosshair icon to appear over the plane.
-My giant genius brain saw the little target recticle hovering over the liberator and thought "oh, dangerous plane! better fly over and c-4 that!"

And then I did, welp. In my defense, I did kill the guy. And earlier that night I c-4d's a mosquito that liked hovering and shooting too close to a cliffside.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 21, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ronwayne posted:

Yeah, its tunnel fighting and mass mayhem where everyone is dying every 2-10 seconds. Good k/d to be had if you're lurking behind it all with a gun that can shoot through your own side. Also shooting through one NC to shoot the red or purple guy in front of him is just part of living free (of the mortal coil)

Speaking of which I got extremely confused last night, and c-4'd an enemy liberator. Then I noticed two of my squadmates were dead next to it and were "?!?!?!" in chat.

It turns out uh

-I had infravision on, thus making me unable to see the blue on the liberator.
-A spotted, extreme threat bounty enemy was underneath it fighting said squadmates as they tried to fix the liberator, causing the little crosshair icon to appear over the plane.
-My giant genius brain saw the little target recticle hovering over the liberator and thought "oh, dangerous plane! better fly over and c-4 that!"

And then I did, welp. In my defense, I did kill the guy. And earlier that night I c-4d's a mosquito that liked hovering and shooting too close to a cliffside.

Infravision can be bad like that, if an enemy's IFF dorito is behind a friendly and you just see the one yellow blob to shoot at. One thing they improved with it in the last couple of years is that you can see friendly cloaked sunderers now as an outline, they used to be completely invisible like enemy ones are. I try to be careful but sometimes you do a bad thing. I have noticed with higher graphics settings you get more detail with infravision but I'm not sure which exact settings do it. Before I implemented the graphics changes from Baddie's performance guide everything was much more flat but now there's some level of detail on the characters. I've seen screenshots/videos with even higher detail visible, but nothing will make common pool vehicles distinguishable from each other, really.

One issue I've had playing Quipped is that I started him as freelance, put him on VS to get into my one man outfit, then went freelance again (just for something different) and I usually have to take a second to figure out which faction I'm on and what their shouts sound like since it's important to be able to figure out if an random infiltrator spotting stuff is on your team or not. Like, if I hear someone spot a lightning and zoom my map out and there's only friendly lightnings, then there's someone I need to find and murder. I have more trouble differentiating the female voice packs than the male ones but mostly because there's a lot of different ones and they can be samey to some degree.

I auraxed the NS-15M1 on Quipped a week or so back and I'm already at ~250 kills on the NS-15M2, so I guess I've been killing a lot of people with the NS-15! Good thing I have the NS-15MB, NS-15M Frostbite, NS-15M AE, and NS-15M Endeavor to go, I guess. I do find that my most frequently "killed by" weapons are the Betelgeuse, SAW, and Orion, so I can always know what I'm missing by playing NSO. There are a lot of great LMGs but I think the SAW/GODSAW and Orion/Betel leave me the most surprised and are hardest to predict who is winning a 1v1 in the moment. The Betelgeuse is at like 66 killed by while the runner up is the Orion with 35, and the SAW comes in at third at 30 deaths. It feels like every VS heavy has a Betelgeuse. It's got to be a requirement to get into VKTZ or something, they all have it and use it constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

quote:

I have more trouble differentiating the female voice packs than the male ones but mostly because there's a lot of different ones and they can be samey to some degree.

NC fem mercenary is best, imo, and I shelled out real world cash for her voice+the cowboy hat.

Default NC female voice is the worst, it sounds like a 12 year old simultaneously inhaling helium and with a 2 pack a day habit, second only to vanu fem zealot :byodame:

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 22, 2023