Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Are maps persistent? So if a few explosions go off does stuff stay destroyed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Barry is really selling himself short working as cheap as he does

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i can't believe the game punished me for wanting to hear more of bombastic's jokes :'(

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How do I craft ammo? And how did you all handle the first outpost on the island?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Crafting ammo and explosives requires finding Repair Shops on the mainland.

For the outpost, I snuck through the minefield (having Barry defuse it all makes it easy) then climbed up the ladder to get to the building behind everyone, then positioned everyone on the roof with Gewehrs and just sniped all the enemies as they ran straight at me :shrug: There are lots of sandbags and things on the roof to make good cover and if you re-hide every time you get revealed they will keep running at you instead of shooting at you, and being that far away/on a roof /behind cover makes it easy to hide.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 15, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Burns posted:

I do apreciate that the early enemies are Goons.

The group spawned to come at you on tutorial island is named “the yellowshirts”.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This game is great. Standouts so far:

1. Igor stealthing around and knifing fools, then commando climbing to the top of a watchtower and stealth sniping a sniper.

2. Livewire being irrepressibly upbeat about absolutely everything she sees.

3. Fox being a pistol-packing murder machine.

E: 4. The music, god drat.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 15, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

wow... they are fighting just like they used to :')

slut shamming is bad in 202301 buns >:I

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

To whoever it was that was asking earlier, there’s no pod system but the enemies do seem to have an firaxcom style scamper if they’re aware when they see you. That being said cover doesn’t seem as binary or important as it was in xcom

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I entered the intel view in a map, which gave me a very up and down camera angle, and I can't seem to leave back to normal view?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jack B Nimble posted:

I entered the intel view in a map, which gave me a very up and down camera angle, and I can't seem to leave back to normal view?

it should just be pressing o again, if that doesn't work than seems like a bug.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Snooze Cruise posted:

it should just be pressing o again, if that doesn't work than seems like a bug.

Yeah, O didn't do anything, though I recalled it working in an earlier battle. Once I triggered combat the camera fixed itself.

Using angles to force opponents to come into your overwatch is working very well, at least in the early game.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Just liberated the town and I'm not going to say that this feels like JA2, but so far it's the game that feels the most like a sequel to JA2. Setting up my guys in position for an ambush and then sniping a guy in the head to start a fight owns. Kalyna shooting a goon through a wall because Grunty has line of sight owns. The machine gun in town owns.

Hitman asked Grunty if Lafontaine was one of his people and for the first time in his life Grunty spoke an entire sentence without mentioning shooting and/or his mother to let Hitman know that he's German :lol:

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I wonder how much attention they’ll pay to the 2001 setting, hopefully it doesn’t get in the way of them adding gizmos that didn’t technically exist yet in like that airbursting xm25 from 1.13

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Snooze Cruise posted:

wow... they are fighting just like they used to :')

slut shamming is bad in 202301 buns >:I

Lets be real here, Fox can’t open her mouth without making an innuendo but it’s all a bluff. That woman has never had sex in her life.

Also I’m glad that we have all independently confirmed Blood rules.

Also also I wanted to love Grizzly I really did but jesus christ his movement range is abysmal. It’s a never ending struggle getting him in position.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

To whoever it was that was asking earlier, there’s no pod system but the enemies do seem to have an firaxcom style scamper if they’re aware when they see you. That being said cover doesn’t seem as binary or important as it was in xcom

That was probably me in the JA2 thread. It definitely doesn't have that XCOM2 gripe of mine with the fog of war, once you start shooting in this one, everyone in the sector is coming for you.

I've been enjoying the four hours I've played today, it seems like a good mix of XCOM2 UI/UX, but with a nicer tactical layer. My biggest issue is that I'm still just as terrible at the money management and non-shooting stuff as I was in JA2 😬

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lets be real here, Fox can’t open her mouth without making an innuendo but it’s all a bluff. That woman has never had sex in her life.

Also I’m glad that we have all independently confirmed Blood rules.

Also also I wanted to love Grizzly I really did but jesus christ his movement range is abysmal. It’s a never ending struggle getting him in position.

Blood has always ruled. I restarted like 3 times until he was available for me to hire.

My team is IMP Merc (all-arounder but she's mainly a marksman with stealth/night ops and 50 medical), Blood, Grunty, Vicki (the Jamaican mechanic lady), and Livewire (because her intel perk seems useful). I stuck my IMP merc up on the rooftop in the town (with Grunty providing support with the AK you get in the first or second map), and she took out 2 dudes before combat even started (the second guy dying was seen by the last guy). I've only liberated Ernie Town but so far the game is good and fun and the devs seem to have gotten the right vibe for a Jagged Alliance game.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I’m so proud of my militia dudes, even when they look to me for approval during the fighting. “Like this, Boss?”

Yeah, lil dude. Like that. :unsmith:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Played 9 hours in one day, game loving rules. The destruction owns, it has modeled projectiles (the lack of these singlehandedly ruined the new XCOMs for me) and the mercs feel unique and interesting as they should. It feels like more exciting, random poo poo happens in battle just like JA2 vs XCOM2 feeling so brutally deterministic with little to no dynamism in the combat.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I played a few hours today. Took over/cleared out the initial island except for the last part. I have to shut the game off sometimes because the enemies firing 5-10 shot bursts at max range and landing like 50% of the shots on my guys who up until recently only had pistols is aggravating as hell. I've found that being prone is a lot better than being in cover.

How does marksmanship skillup? I started my IMP merc with 35 marksmanship and high wisdom thinking I could raise it like in JA2 but after killing a bunch of dudes it hasn't gone anywhere. Do I need someone to teach him?

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

My IMP gained a level but I didn't change any of the stats from the questionnaire results so I can't pick any perks because none of my stats are at 70+ :lol:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

My IMP gained a level but I didn't change any of the stats from the questionnaire results so I can't pick any perks because none of my stats are at 70+ :lol:

well you at least keep the perk points

better learn chinese and/or agility buddy!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

How fast does the game expect you to move? I’m at day 13-14 now and have only cleared the initial village + fought off the first counterattack.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Played 9 hours in one day, game loving rules. The destruction owns, it has modeled projectiles (the lack of these singlehandedly ruined the new XCOMs for me) and the mercs feel unique and interesting as they should. It feels like more exciting, random poo poo happens in battle just like JA2 vs XCOM2 feeling so brutally deterministic with little to no dynamism in the combat.

absolutely hated the firaxis xcoms but i'm loving this, it's so good. It makes a few concessions towards simplification but nothing that ruins the formula

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Beefeater1980 posted:

How fast does the game expect you to move? I’m at day 13-14 now and have only cleared the initial village + fought off the first counterattack.

It seems that the only real limiter is being able to afford your mercs' contract renewals. There are limited-time events like diamond couriers you can rob and stuff like that but I haven't seen anything important to the main story be explicitly timed yet.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

Goa Tse-tung posted:

well you at least keep the perk points

better learn chinese and/or agility buddy!

I forgot that AP is related to Agility so my IMP is the slowest member of my crew. Hitman's not the only one out of breath from pulling the trigger. I'm not going to restart though at some point he'll have 70 in something and it will be quite the glow up.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah having only 7 ap for my imp sucks, but she has the highest explosive stat so i just have her chucking grenades all the time and that is fun

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm assuming that diamond mines will be your only true source of cash in this game and that repairing guns and selling them to traders isn't going to be worth it? Got a stockpile of crap building up and I'm wondering if I should save them or scrap them.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The only traders I've seen so far don't allow selling of items - they're just interactable objects you can click one time to trade X Dollars for [item]

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Punished Ape posted:

How does marksmanship skillup? I started my IMP merc with 35 marksmanship and high wisdom thinking I could raise it like in JA2 but after killing a bunch of dudes it hasn't gone anywhere. Do I need someone to teach him?

Yeah, curious about this too. I just cleared the first island and Livewire is still at 62 marksmanship despite her massive wisdom stat. I don't want to keep her around that long if she isn't going to get better quick enough, I need actual shooters in my squad.

deep dish peat moss posted:

The only traders I've seen so far don't allow selling of items - they're just interactable objects you can click one time to trade X Dollars for [item]

Dang, I guess you can't gun run here. Time to scrap, I guess.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How do you all deal with Brutes? Shotguns having auto counterattack, plus bleed, plus cover negation and them having a ton of hp has me stumped. They get a raking shot off, and 3 of my mercs are hit for ~20 damage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, curious about this too. I just cleared the first island and Livewire is still at 62 marksmanship despite her massive wisdom stat. I don't want to keep her around that long if she isn't going to get better quick enough, I need actual shooters in my squad.

Dang, I guess you can't gun run here. Time to scrap, I guess.

Wisdom has absolutely nothing to do with skill gain rate. People will accrue better stats but it doesn’t seem like it will ever make a huge difference. Books help though.

Personally I still think Livewire is great to keep around for at least one of your squads though because a nearly maxed out Wisdom gets you hella lootables

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wisdom has absolutely nothing to do with skill gain rate. People will accrue better stats but it doesn’t seem like it will ever make a huge difference. Books help though.

Wait, what? gently caress I didn't know that

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

If you want your mercs stats to improve you gotta use the Train Mercs operation. Natural boosts only go so far.

Try to squeeze in training wherever possible

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Was only able to dip my toes into the game last night, but:

Whoever wrote the IMP quiz got it scarily close to JA2's. It's like they carbon froze that guy and thawed them just for this, it's got the exact same lame 13-year old self-described "absolute fuckin' psycho" type of humor.

No brand names for guns? :( I'm by no means a gun fetishist but I hate this. Guess it was a legal issue the previous game solved by flying under the radar?

The mercs now seem like parodies of themselves, somehow. MD being a Hurl-like good natured bumbler, Steroid just a cheap "MY MAWSLES" undefined action hero, Buns asserting her superiority in every line. This may take some getting used to.

Getting used to the control scheme slowly. I really hope some updates bring more to the IMP selection. No voice choice and just six portraits overall? Does the portrait choice even differ what voice you get or is it just 1 male, 1 female voice?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

davidspackage posted:

No brand names for guns? :( I'm by no means a gun fetishist but I hate this. Guess it was a legal issue the previous game solved by flying under the radar?

Sadly I still can't play this game right this moment but I'm curious. If it isn't spoilery, what guns have shown up so far? Anything new compared to vanilla JA2?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just realized: I think the game recommended 3 mercs to start out with. Was that including the IMP generated dude? I also took MD and Steroid as well. Should I have gotten a 4th dude?

Also kind of getting my head around aiming and the battle system in general, though it does feel like unaimed shots are not as inaccurate as you think, though that may depend on a whole lot of other factors.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 15, 2023

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Dandywalken posted:

How do you all deal with Brutes? Shotguns having auto counterattack, plus bleed, plus cover negation and them having a ton of hp has me stumped. They get a raking shot off, and 3 of my mercs are hit for ~20 damage.

shoot first
shoot their arms and groin

edit also Shotguns only have a range of 8, you could hit their legs and just keep them out of reach?

just one Ice Storm and they should be open

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 15, 2023

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Also heads-up for any Ironman players: do not talk to Smiley if you want to do his quest, the cutscene into combat will gently caress you up and is super unfair. Normally you would set up overwatch fields before talking, but they make you deploy fresh into the ambush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Also heads-up for any Ironman players: do not talk to Smiley if you want to do his quest, the cutscene into combat will gently caress you up and is super unfair. Normally you would set up overwatch fields before talking, but they make you deploy fresh into the ambush.

Not sure about that one specifically, but I've noticed on a couple similar situations that If you deploy immediately as soon as the option comes up, you get enough time to back away before the ambush actually shows up. Kind of annoying but I was able to work around it in the couple situations I've run into it in by loading the pre-deployment autosave and :f5:ing.