Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Dorkopotamis posted:

I haven't gotten shotguns or SMGs to pop for me. Everything else feels great. Especially explosives.

Mortars also seem bad, but maybe situationally good.
Shotguns have been more of a secondary weapon for me. Something suddenly in my face? Weapon swap to the double barrel. Its special attack that fires both shells is murderous close up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Really liking the environmental dialogue, two goons just talked about losing the mine I just took over.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Filthy Monkey posted:

Shotguns have been more of a secondary weapon for me. Something suddenly in my face? Weapon swap to the double barrel. Its special attack that fires both shells is murderous close up.

they are really good for enemies that are bunched up too, can take out the guy in front with the double barrel and then usually the guy behind will also be on his last legs

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Snooze Cruise posted:

i did fleatown at night and just had my squad of five out in the house the diamond dealer works out of and had my two snipers in night vision goggles. made it pretty simple once you handle the brutes running in.

I had two snipers on the roof and they killed all 14 enemies while everyone else had snacks downstairs

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsFMDkIlsK0

That was odd, I never saw someone with a long rifle do such a double tap before. Also only 1 kill counted on her stat page.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone use dedicated solo/duo scouts for gathering intel? I'm thinking MD might be a great pick for that: high wisdom for scouting, medicine for healing himself when he gets hit by RNG.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Matt141 posted:

I am starting to wonder if I messed up and caused something that seems like it should happen far later in the story start earlier. I got the mission to save Biff but since both of my squads were in the far south I failed to intercept the squad going after him, after some time the Major started gloating about his death and I was told to go to the refugee camp by Adonis, where I was ambushed by a ton of what seems to be lategame military soldiers while being bombarded by chemical gas mortars, after beating the fight(barely and with savescumming), every single outpost on the map was taken over by the military(except for like one that I barely defended with autoresolve militia), including those that I never even got close to and I am starting to wonder if this was meant to happen after saving the president instead of when I still haven't even gone past pantagruel/fleatown/port cacao. Legit making me wonder if it's worth starting over to try and save Biff instead and see if that delays this from happening.

I've done the Biff thing and it seems to be optional and light on rewards. If you want more info I'll write another spoiler.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Punished Ape posted:

I've done the Biff thing and it seems to be optional and light on rewards. If you want more info I'll write another spoiler.

Did you get any bugs on that?
My team literally went invisible after talking to Biff, which made the ensuing fight extra hard.
Also I should probably have brought in more than just the B-team.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Issaries posted:

Did you get any bugs on that?

Fortunately no. The only thing that's really happened to me was a lot of slowdown at the Dump.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Any opinions on this?

It seems there is a soft time limit in the campaign, in money eventually depletes

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Turin Turambar posted:

Any opinions on this?

It seems there is a soft time limit in the campaign, in money eventually depletes

If someone mods this out I'll probably grab that mod. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's the sort of stuff that plants a seed in my mind that doesn't motivate me, but rather stresses me out and makes me lose motivation.

Edit: ah, well

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Any opinions on this?

I haven't had the Port and the Diamond Red mine deplete yet. I feel like this is an anti-turtle feature so you actually go out and capture land instead of sitting on your hands to buy the $$$$ mercs.
But gamers be gamers and hate any timer at all.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
OK, seriously, gently caress the ghost fight. What the hell. There's just no good positioning.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Turin Turambar posted:

Any opinions on this?

Didn't that happen in JA2 as well, and it was mostly a die roll whether it would inflict a good mine or a bad one?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

a podcast for cats posted:

Also, if you find or loot pipe bombs, you can take them apart with wirecutters for sweet sweet gunpowder. And C4 can be made into 40mm grenades for the underslung launchers you can make or the MGL you can find.

Oh poo poo fuckin protip, thanks!

Deltasquid posted:

You can move the slider when contracting with them, up to 14 days. You get a steep per-day discount if you hire them longer so it’s beneficial to do this

They'll also ask for more money in renegotiation as they level up, so it can pay to lock them in longer term before you expect to do some heavy fighting and rake in the xp.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 16, 2023

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Iymarra posted:

Jesus K-hrist, the assault on Flea Market is atrocious. The enemies are so tightly clustered I cannot effective stealth 'em up, ok sure I can maybe get one or two but there's two roaming guys who always seem to cover each others backs who also get close enough to see the sniper's corpse down at the dockside, and there's no way of taking out the mass of brutes/marauders/grenadiers in the actual market area itself

This is only base difficulty wtf

Snooze Cruise posted:

i did fleatown at night and just had my squad of five out in the house the diamond dealer works out of and had my two snipers in night vision goggles. made it pretty simple once you handle the brutes running in.
I did it on Commando difficulty with just one squad during daytime + rain, but otherwise also just holed up in the mansion. Basically just overwatched anyone that came close (remember to re-hide your overwatchers to minimize return fire if you've got the time) while Kalyna picked off anyone from afar. Brutes that came too close got the ol' double barrel in the face.

Oh yeah, and if they bunch up too much it's Barry time of course

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Deltasquid posted:

OK, seriously, gently caress the ghost fight. What the hell. There's just no good positioning.

The positioning solution is “kill everyone”. Don’t dither around for cover, just alpha strike the first wave to paste. Having someone just immediately set up an HMG helps.

In general I think the problem people are having with HMGs is, yes, they are ammo hogs and you cannot use them for every fight. You will gently caress yourself if you do that strategically. But there is a time and a place. And a poo poo load of dudes is the time and place.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay, the Thermal Scope is ridiculously overpowered. No grazing hits, cover defense bonuses, blind firing penalties, etc when you're at 3+ aim levels? Sheesh.

I installed the CTH mod temporarily just to see how accurate my soldiers are, and with 90+ Marksmanship you get 100% chance to hit at 3 aim levels on like almost every shot you take, which is I guess what's making stealth snipers/single shot rifles so absurdly overpowered - they one-shot most enemies on a headshot and you can easily hit 100% hit chance on headshots. That's only now stopping for me in the later half of the game when enemies (a)sometimes have heavily armored heads and (b) almost all have the perk that makes them go prone to dodge the first shot taken against them in combat - the snipers are still probably the strongest weapons in the game at this point (because after they go prone you can just take an easy headshot against them).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I just want a mod to turn ammo into gunpowder. If I can't buy it, just let me make the loving ammo I need from what I have. I have 8 billion rounds of poo poo I don't need.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the game's difficulty is super swingy just depending on if enemies stumble into range to you or not

in savanah land if a melee/shotgun brute or a machine gunner get on you you're in for a bad time, otherwise it's an absolute cake walk, maybe some chip damage here and there

i imagine that'll change at some point, but by then I'll have ammo to fuel the MG and give everyone AKs full time

probably

inventory management kinda blows, maintenance management doubly blows because these trained mercs can't figure out their way around a jam apparently

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
How many hundreds of waves is this silly Biff fight?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Azhais posted:

How many hundreds of waves is this silly Biff fight?

Five I believe. It will say final wave when you’re on the last one.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Turin Turambar posted:

Any opinions on this?

I get it, it adds pressure and tension, but I wish it was a campaign option.

a - mines run out on specific dates when controlled by player
b - mines run out randomly over the duration of the campaign
c - mines don't run out during the campaign

A propos of money, I am wondering right now whether the game is more intentional about pushing the player to swap mercs in and out for a couple of weeks, as needed, instead of sticking with the starting squad. I didn't pay attention before, but at least two of mercs from my starting squad are now more expensive than the Veteran tier guys.

Also, I wish crafting materials - tubes, lenses, chips - went into the squad pool together with the spare parts.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

a podcast for cats posted:

I get it, it adds pressure and tension, but I wish it was a campaign option.

a - mines run out on specific dates when controlled by player
b - mines run out randomly over the duration of the campaign
c - mines don't run out during the campaign

A propos of money, I am wondering right now whether the game is more intentional about pushing the player to swap mercs in and out for a couple of weeks, as needed, instead of sticking with the starting squad. I didn't pay attention before, but at least two of mercs from my starting squad are now more expensive than the Veteran tier guys.

Also, I wish crafting materials - tubes, lenses, chips - went into the squad pool together with the spare parts.

They’re more expensive because they’re levelling up from their baseline

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Have you seen the weird teleport bug when you try to setup your mercs before a hostile squad enters your sector? (the teleport happens at 01:37)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTelMJH7foQ&t=19s

This happens you set overwatch zones, before the baddies come in. Also it seems that compared to JA2 time does not pass while you are in tactical view in a sector, but only when you are in sat view.

The overwatch zones remain intact, but when the enemies enter your sector the game triggers the squad deployment, removing your mercs from their original positions. And once the baddies make contact your mercs are teleported back to their overwatch spots.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 16, 2023

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Yeah, but it does not happen on every levelup or contract renewal. JA2 had the same mechanic, mercs asked for more after a while, but it felt less pressing there.

Snooze Cruise posted:

they are really good for enemies that are bunched up too, can take out the guy in front with the double barrel and then usually the guy behind will also be on his last legs

I suspect that shotguns become really good with shotgun specific traits and perks, like the one that gives a free move after a shotgun attack. I have yet to find anything better than an Auto-5 though.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Black Griffon posted:

If someone mods this out I'll probably grab that mod. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's the sort of stuff that plants a seed in my mind that doesn't motivate me, but rather stresses me out and makes me lose motivation.

Edit: ah, well

Cheers, grabbed this. Also noticed there are already new mercs that people have modded in to AIM in the workshop - that was quick!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I think I'm in a death spiral in my first game. I didn't know about the custom merc until after the first island, the first mine is dry and I can't push on to the second because of having to defend assault waves. Biff defense popped and I have nobody even close to getting to him.

Going to start a new campaign with what I know now. Planning on having the custom merc bottom out medical/mechanical/explosive to max out leadership and marksmanship and use them as my dedicated militia and merc trainer. Start with like livewire, and then whichever medical and explosive experts are available - hopefully Barry and then whomever else. Livewire's got poo poo health and marksmanship, but I figure I can find time to train those up with my leader and then make use of her passive and mechanics skill for the rest of the team.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Is there any decent wiki type site for JA3? https://jaggedalliance.fandom.com/wiki/Jagged_Alliance_3 Seems to have almost zero info.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
I'm really looking forward to whenever the inevitable 300+ guns mods show up. I need all my weird AK variants and obscure 90s guns

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Tibbeh posted:

I'm really looking forward to whenever the inevitable 300+ guns mods show up. I need all my weird AK variants and obscure 90s guns

yeah my hosed up trait is that I actually want to sit and sort through different helmet coverings and webbing after a minor engagement. I think it's why I ultimately never got very far in modded JA2.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

If you come in from the greenhouse side, you can stealth the two guys there and then use grenades on the lobby.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Started again with a 5 dude team and had a much easier time of that first map encounter; only one injury in the group.

It owned when I had Mouse sneak in and was able to stealth kill two enemies.

Also, move and fire is so good holy poo poo.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If you come in from the greenhouse side, you can stealth the two guys there and then use grenades on the lobby.

Clearing out the mansion is fine, it's the fight that triggers when you get out of the cellar after talking to the ghost that fucks me up

The Donut posted:

Cheers, grabbed this. Also noticed there are already new mercs that people have modded in to AIM in the workshop - that was quick!

Gamers... Gamers never change

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Revolver Ocelot merc, please modders

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

Clearing out the mansion is fine, it's the fight that triggers when you get out of the cellar after talking to the ghost that fucks me up

Ah yeah. I just laid down lmao. Granted I had an RPK by then so it wasn't so bad.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Deltasquid posted:

You didn’t kill the legion nerds before going in? I was expecting some bullshit but had no weird fight when I came out because I had already exterminated everyone on the map first.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Spend the first turn sprinting around to the gazebo thing just behind the cellar entrance.
Prioritize the grenadiers and machete/shotgun guys who can still gently caress you up behind cover.

Matt141
May 3, 2012

Punished Ape posted:

Decided to start a second run where I focus on the north side of the map to see how that questline works on my own, though from what I have read saving him apparently doesn't stop the military from taking over the map, though I wonder if you can just delay their appearance by simply not going to the refugee camp when you are told to go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I am disappointed that the .50 caliber Explosive rounds do not visually explode :mad:

But on the other hand you can put a .50 barrel on a desert eagle and jam some .50 SLAP rounds in it and you have a pistol that deals 40 damage and destroys cover.