Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Spanish Manlove posted:

you've heard it and it's pantera

I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLHtdAy-h6Q

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

just started my 1h30m drive home from work. glad i can jam this early (and still have half my drive to look forward to after that 🥴)

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Aside from the new Tomb Mold, there's a new Blood Incantation track coming out tomorrow from their upcoming 12".

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
what do metal people have on their pedal boards? is there a certain knockoff of a 50 year old chinsy transistor distortion that instantly turns any input signal into metal? is it all eq and compression and distortion? I'm not hearing a ton of reverb or delay or rotary speaker simulation.

wait though. is there dub thrash metal?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the main thing for metal in general is an overdrive, or a distortion pedal. nowadays modern amps are distorted enough so overdrives are used as boosts to push the front end of the amp to tighten up the tone and make it a little less bass heavy on the response.

That's a very generalized explanation, since a lot of guys these days are fully digital

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

what do metal people have on their pedal boards? is there a certain knockoff of a 50 year old chinsy transistor distortion that instantly turns any input signal into metal? is it all eq and compression and distortion? I'm not hearing a ton of reverb or delay or rotary speaker simulation.

I scrapped my pedalboard when I stopped gigging, I do everything with VSTs straight into my DAW. There are some really great free amp/cab sims out there with some fantastic high-gain sounds. Blue Cat and ML Soundlab's Amped are both great starting points.

Comedy option: Boss MetalZone pedal.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

like muike said, commonly you've got:
- an overdrive or a boost, usually dialed with little gain but high volume to tighten up the low-end of an already distorted amp sound
- a noise gate
- maybe some stuff for leads like delay/reverb/wah but your rhythm signal is going to be pretty dry for the most part

there are also some genre-specific inclusions:
- stoner/doom metal and its derivatives are often going to have some kind of nasty fuzz going into a very loud clean amp with lots of headroom like an old sunn
- the godlike swedish chainsaw death metal tone, made from turning all the knobs on a boss hm-2 to 10. example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI7lp6dROe8

also as mentioned, there's a shitload of vsts which simulate all of these sounds incredibly well just by plugging your guitar into an interface

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It isn’t thrash but Godflesh has lots of dubby metal. Most of the other attempts at dub metal that I’ve heard haven’t been very successful

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I remember seeing pedal board diagrams in Guitar World back in 2005 that had various setups from different guitarists. That poo poo blew my mind and how many pedals some people had hooked together. I was like 15 and had just started getting serious about the guitar.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

New Tomb Mold is incredible.

Lots of YouTube chatter saying it sounds like Dream Unending - it doesn't, it's slightly more tech Tomb Mold, more varied and with some awesome jazzy sections.

Love it

Edit: New Blood Incantation is incredibly good as well. What the hell is happening

McFlurry Fan #1 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 15, 2023

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

new tomb mold is great

new blood incantation dm and ambient tracks are great

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m so glad they’re committing to the ambient stuff. Timewave Zero ruled.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

it's my favorite album from last year over anything heavy. their youtube episode of "what's in my bag" at amoeba records introduced me to a lot of other cool ambient stuff and i've been on a totally obsessive deep dive into the genre for the past few months. there's so much cool poo poo to listen to that, just a year or two ago, i would have totally dismissed.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ShoogaSlim posted:

it's my favorite album from last year over anything heavy. their youtube episode of "what's in my bag" at amoeba records introduced me to a lot of other cool ambient stuff and i've been on a totally obsessive deep dive into the genre for the past few months. there's so much cool poo poo to listen to that, just a year or two ago, i would have totally dismissed.

Check out all the cool weird German stuff like Tangerine Dream if you haven’t!

monochromagic
Jun 17, 2023

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLArAJlC1y5588wCv4TreHOKKAOav9JtD7

New Alkaloid is out. The album stream is up on Youtube.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

There's a Facebook page I follow called DOES IT DOOM? and they review doomy pedals and such fairly often. I don't play guitar and have no use for pedals, but I love hearing them and I love the sick artwork on some of them.

https://doesitdoom.com/product-category/pedals/

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

This is the best work they've ever done. I swear, this might be a breakout record. The first disc is very accessible and the second has some loving SICK riffs and is very progressive.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

Check out all the cool weird German stuff like Tangerine Dream if you haven’t!

i haven't and will do!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNul02Xp5C0

new blood incantation is out

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

it's so good :allears:

also was able to snag a tomb mold vinyl pretty easily actually. lots of cool colors on this one. stoked.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

New Shinning is pretty good if you enjoy Shinning, not as good as Varg Uten Flock or Everyone, Everything, Everywhere Ends.

Also new live Mayhem album is good and has a good mix of new and old stuff, even some Grand Declaration of War tracks.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Dawn Ray'd are calling it quits.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

spinning the new tomb mold now (it's incredibly good). gridlink and alkaloid are next. we feast today, friends.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

wait hold up, new Gridlink??

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

here's the album stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amfyozr5WsI

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

Not really thrash but Scorn ( Mick Harris, ex Napalm Death drummer ) is pretty awesome dub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXOTwpbPaI4

For ambient-ish stuff I like all the various James Plotkin stuff - Jodis, Khanate and IMHO the greatest Earache band ever - Old. Ambient trash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unEQqhkqGwU
to vocoder sci-fi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRDXt2lcoCE

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i owe you my life

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

i owe you my life

:cheers:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

that was so good bro holy poo poo

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

drat. RIP o7

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

symbolic posted:

I was bummed to learn that Jon Chang is a chud, since I love Discordance Axis and Gridlink

Ah well, still gonna spin this new album

This sucks

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Count Thrashula posted:

I was bummed to learn that Jon Chang is a chud, since I love Discordance Axis and Gridlink

Ah well, still gonna spin this new album

This sucks

Yeah, try to focus on the miracle that is Takafumi Matsubara's continued guitar playing rather than Jon being a dumbass.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Yeah, try to focus on the miracle that is Takafumi Matsubara's continued guitar playing rather than Jon being a dumbass.

That I can absolutely do

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

A lot of people somewhat derisively call melodeath power metal with harsh vocals but CoB are genuinely that.

Hm so should I bother exploring further if I like maybe 2 power metal bands on the earth

Snowy posted:

I don’t know any Children of Bodom but I like that their name is both Children of Bottom and “cob”

The funny name and being a gateway band that came around after I was already well into metal are probably why I never checked them out. I’m sure I’ve heard a song or two but

Spanish Manlove posted:

you've heard it and it's pantera

Lol owned

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Lots of YouTube chatter saying it sounds like Dream Unending - it doesn't, it's slightly more tech Tomb Mold, more varied and with some awesome jazzy sections.

Love it

Edit: New Blood Incantation is incredibly good as well. What the hell is happening

Anything else good the last month or so? Last new thing I listened to was the full of hell/gasp record

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

Hm so should I bother exploring further if I like maybe 2 power metal bands on the earth

Bodom's first 3 albums are specifically the neoclassical style of power metal, so if the 2 power metal bands on earth that you like include Stratovarius, the first 4 Sonata Arctica albums, or Japanese stuff like Galneryus you're in luck. If you are wanting Blind Guardian style pm then no, they are not like that.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I would describe the first 4 CoB album progression like this:

Something Wild: death metal version of a Yngwie Malmsteen album. Free form songwriting.
Hatebreeder: Neoclassical death metal with a black metal tinge. Faster tempos with more structured songs.
Follow the Reaper: Transitional album with power metal influences coming to the forefront. Neoclassical tinges are lessened.
Hate Crew Deathroll: Death metal with power metal stylings as a focus. Neoclassical elements are almost completely gone.

Hatebreeder has the thinnest production drum production out of the four. Hate Crew Deathroll is the best produced.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I'm probably in the minority but I like Hate Crew the most. It was the first album of theirs I got into though.
Something Wild is probably my 2nd favorite.

The Live album is the best though. It's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The first four albums are all time greats.