Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose fault is it?
Smedly
Higby
Wrel
View Results

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Labor Day sale seems to be 40% off all Infantry Gear (cosmetics) and it just started instead of starting on the first so... time is hard, I guess. All Vehicle gear is also 40% off, too, though they didn't specify that in the sale message. There's also a few sales here and there on bundles. Tempting to get some of the armor set bundles at like 35 bucks instead of the list price of 60 or whatever. I have rift knight on VS but I like the new d0ku warhams inspired TR set and the NC PMC one isn't bad looking. Haven't decided if I want to spend money on that though. The weak point of their monetization is still that they charge too much and don't release things often, but the upside is you get to use it for a long time, I guess. Like I've had the heatwave/ravenous weapons bundles for as long as I can remember and I must've gotten them when they came out... I can't remember when that was exactly but I think Obama was in the white house.

I kind of wonder what the game would look like now if they'd put out cheaper cosmetics at a higher rate. I've seen it pointed out in some Josh Strife Hayes videos where he looks at old MMOs that you can tell when a company has given up and gone for the cash grab when you look at the cash shop and it's all items that don't fit the setting of the game at all. Disco outfits in a fantasy game or whatever. PS2 doesn't have that problem, but I feel like they could do new guns every few months instead of every year or two.

Edit: after logging on to a TR character I see that the Legion armor set is not on sale so welp.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Do I get anything for increasing my directive score? Actual rewards seem to be mostly behind level 4 (I just started the slow grind towards Exceptional to get Black Camo).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ynglaur posted:

Do I get anything for increasing my directive score? Actual rewards seem to be mostly behind level 4 (I just started the slow grind towards Exceptional to get Black Camo).

No, it's just "number goes up" for the most part. It kind of shows how much stuff you've done in the game like achievements in other games since people see the directive score for your account when you kill them, but it doesn't give you anything beyond the rewards that unlock in different tiers. I think the best ones are the auraxium weapons in most cases but there's some cosmetics in the other directive areas including weapon reskins, camo, etc. I guess the Fujin (throwing knife that goes in the grenade slot) and Raijin (throwing stars similar to that) are unique things you have to unlock but the former seems to be something you need a lot of practice with and the latter isn't that great from what I've read.

I try to work on my directive score a bit but mostly as something to do after I've done some missions and if I'm not working on a weapon I'm doing a directive thing for.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks. I'm basically working on getting BR100 for my first time, getting the VR LMG Betelgeuse, and getting the black camo.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Rexxed posted:

The Labor Day sale seems to be 40% off all Infantry Gear (cosmetics)...

Yeah the weird thing about the cosmetics sales is the 40% off the individual pieces winds up being a way better deal than the bundle sales even if you buy all the pieces in the bundle.

This won't apply to bundle-only cosmetics of course, but it's how I managed to kit out my factions a la carte last cosmetics sale.

Would be nice if they had more sets and models and camos - most of the camos available are really bright patterns when more solid colors would be real nice.

Ynglaur posted:

Thanks. I'm basically working on getting BR100 for my first time, getting the VR LMG Betelgeuse, and getting the black camo.
I'm chasing the White camo for funsies and deployed Sunderer kills will probably be the end of me.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

40 Proof Listerine posted:

I'm chasing the White camo for funsies and deployed Sunderer kills will probably be the end of me.

Yeah I have 14 months between the second last objective completion and the sundy one.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I've been playing with construction stuff for quite some time and JUST realized that silo permissions can't be unlocked to public if it's under 20k cortium. For so long, I've always assumed it was jackasses who didn't want anyone helping make their base.

God, there's just SO MUCH info that's not documented ANYWHERE! And they wiki on construction hasn't been updated yet.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've gotten white camo on a couple of characters. C75 viper on the lightning is probably one of the fastest ways to kill a sundy. There's also light assault but it seems like if you put two C4 bricks on a shielded sundy they just get eaten by the shield. You kind of have to knock the shield down first then set off the C4 which usually gets it or close to it. One of the most effective is to walk up and drop tank mines and set them off. If you're quiet about it you can sometimes get it done without being noticed.

Same with maxes, I did this yesterday. I'm guessing it was 6 kills but I'm not sure. The VS grenade killing me was pretty funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFKW1vAEii0

I have a quiet mine delivery engineer loadout where it's got a silenced weapon, usually with UBGL, mine carrier suit slot, AV grenade if they're unlocked for engineer with ASP, Fujin if not or just a regular grenade. Then I just try to look generic, often with a widely available cosmetic helmet that everyone's seen but doesn't have a lot of faction color. Usually go for like a dark brown camo which kind of looks like NC but not exactly. Using sensor shield and avoidance or sweeper hud seems to be a good way to get to the enemy sunderer or wherever without too much trouble.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

How do you unlock a Cortium Silo so that anyone can use it?

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

How do you unlock a Cortium Silo so that anyone can use it?

Far as I can tell anyone can use your Silo by default as long as there's more than 20k cortium in the silo; only when it drops below 20k does it become restricted access to the owner.

Sometimes when I've got the Cortium Run mission I'll do a lap or two topping off random abandoned bases to get over 20k cortium and making sure they actually have a spawn point and a vehicle pad.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks. Is there anyway to unreserve when it's less than 20,000? Also, how close do things have to be to the cortium silo to not degrade? I had a beautifully positioned barracks but apparently a few hundred meters was too far.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

People in your squad can use your silo at any time. The range of the silo is shown with a big yellow circle on the ground (in game, not on the map) if you're holding a building to place, I'm not sure of the actual distance. Some amount of the item has to be within the circle or it doesn't get supported by the silo.

The construction system isn't bad at the moment but it's a little weird. In the old system you could hold Q to get the context menu on the silo or other stuff like vehicle or air pads and change them to restrict them. Now it seems to be entirely based on how much cortium is in the silo. The upsides are that it no longer ticks down over time, it's only spent on vehicles and stuff, and there's the reserve cortium tank thing if you want to be sure you have some and there's other people around.

The main advantages to having a base, besides hoping to hold an area, are routers you can place within 500m (circle is shown on the map if you hold the router), and being able to pull nigh-infinite ESFs, mosquitos, lightnings, sundies, etc. Basically only the liberators and MBTs aren't pulled from them.

Stuff I like to do includes reinforcing any walls and a lot of the essential components with durability (makes them take way less damage from tank shells and stuff) and repair modules. I also try to slap an equipment module somewhere so that I can change my loadout without it getting hacked. Command centers and rebirthing facilities have terminals in areas that are shielded off from opponents but other than that you can slap an equipment module on the cortium silo (usually just while you're getting your base set up), a bunker, pillbox, infantry tower, etc.

Since things like turrets can only have one module I usually will put on either durability or repair, depending on if I think a bunch of tanks are going to show up. Durability lets them last longer which is great if someone is manning them, repair will help if it might just take some pot shots from randos.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Oh, that's what that yellow circle was! Thanks!

Also, how do you get a Router to place down?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ynglaur posted:

Oh, that's what that yellow circle was! Thanks!

Also, how do you get a Router to place down?

You build the router spire, then interact with it to get a deployable router. Then you have to manually take it where you want it (having an air pad is good for this, don't die) and then select it from your items (it'll be the last item on there usually, so like number 6-9), then click to place. It will fail if it's too far away. When you have it in your hands it will give you a grey circle on the minimap showing the distance, but it's about 500m from the router spire.

I have heard that other router spires count if they're within 500m of your destination (like they coded it so a router has to be 500m from any router spire) but I haven't done any testing, it's just what I read. I've probably only dropped routers a few times since the new construction patch.

I notice that if there's an area of bases I think we need to take and there's time, I can often build a quiet little router base somewhere that's relatively near 2-3 bases. I see DAMNSTR8 from YEEB doing this a lot. He starts a lot of captures.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

I've been spoiled by the Nanite Systems all faction guns pretty much all having the 0.75x move speed while ADS, the 0.5x empire specific ARs and LMGs feel real slow by comparison even if they do more raw damage.

Might have to practice hip firing better since you zip around fast doing that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've been spoiled by the Nanite Systems all faction guns pretty much all having the 0.75x move speed while ADS, the 0.5x empire specific ARs and LMGs feel real slow by comparison even if they do more raw damage.

Might have to practice hip firing better since you zip around fast doing that.

Some guns are good for hipfire but I wouldn't say a ton of LMGs are good at it. A lot of them are totally fine if you're close but at medium range it can be iffy. I kind of feel like some of the new attachments like short barrel aren't great unless you're exclusively hipfiring since they are a detriment if you ADS. I mostly use short barrel for something like light assault carbines with a laser sight for hipfire while flying. That said, there's nothing wrong with going with a compensator or flash suppressor or whatever you prefer. I've noticed a lot of sweaty NC heavies doing the suppressed SAW gimmick lately, being in unlikely areas like up on roofs or behind stuff so they can pop people running past them with little notice.

I'd say the VS guns are good at being accurate but don't get lots of ammo (gun depending) so practicing with the Orion is good. When I started a new character recently I went on a couple of big killstreaks with the basic Orion loadout because I've been playing with the Betelgeuse and they're nearly the same (heat mechanic and attachment differences mostly).

On NC the SAW is a weird one because its recoil/spread is kind of... rattley? It's got a bit of spray/bounce to it. That does translate to the GODSAW but it's harder to get used to when you're new. You're kind of relying on its 200 damage bullets to do the work more than aim. I've been having fun with a Silenced EM1 with ex mags for 200 rounds of surprise here and there and I barley used the EM1 in the last 10 years, I auraxed the EM6 getting the GODSAW instead. I think the reason they changed the newbie LMG on NC from SAW to GD-22S is just due to its aim being better. The Anchor is still good in that regard as well.

On TR there's the MSW-R as a good handling gun. The TMG50 is good for range but I don't personally like it that much. The Rhino and Bull are a little weird but I actually really like the Bull for accuracy even though people dislike it. I'm not a huge fan of the CARV so I'm not sure I'll dig the butcher but I have a while to go before getting that. I don't know if you play TR much but I used to use the chaingun with the BRRT and it was fine but not great. Some recent advice I read was to use it with a laser because your hipfire aim is almost as tight as your ADS aim with it and you can strafe around a bit and make yourself hard to hit. I haven't gone with the full advice the guy suggested (using Sidewinder as well) to maximize the MCG usage but I auraxed the MCG recently and switched my loadouts over to the AE version and it's been solid with a laser on it. The lack of BRRT means slower spin up but you output damage so fast once it gets going it works out, plus you can start shooting before you see someone if you know they're coming, it has a lot of ammo.

For NSO I think I've talked about this before but the XMG 100 is like the Galilei and they're both fine. Fast firing but not really a ton of ammo. The XMG-155 was kind of painful and I sort of regret auraxing it over the 200 but I just picked one and went with it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Plan from last week: make a character to try to learn the Fujin and not worry about tanking kdr loving around on my other characters doing it.

Reality: realize I hosed up since NSO get Fujin from Force Recon and everyone else (and also NSO) need NS Export Series weapon specialty at 160 kills on four weapons to unlock it. I made a new VS character. Got him a theme with sale cosmetics. Now he's a character. gently caress it, I'm just going to go with it anyway. I remembered that I like the NSX Tanto and Naginata. What was the plan again? Bullet hose people with the Naginata?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxM1O0Bu4e4

I haven't used the Naginata a ton since I auraxed LMGs on NC, VS, and NSO but I've auraxed various versions of it 5 times (on NSO we only had two LMGs before the Integration patch, Naginata and NS-15M, so I ended up doing the regular one, Platinum one, and Networked one as well). I looked at the 2021 naginata video I made and I think my reaction times are better, target tracking is a little better, but I'm still a little short on headshots. I was using a 1x here to be fair, 2x makes it a little easier. I'm easing back into it since it's a pretty unique gun and this may be the next thing I work on for Quipped since he's getting close to an aurax on the NS-15M2.

I do still plan to work on learning practical usage of the Fujin on this character but it's funny how not realizing one stupid thing about directives slowed me down. I think that NSO getting the Fujin from Force Recon was a holdover from pre-integration when our directive lines were very different from the normal faction ones due to having so few weapons.

As for the reason for wanting to try to get better with the Fujin, well, I like grenades but I find that I often use them just to flush people out from behind cover, or to roll one to one side of an object someone is behind so that I can flank from the other side. Since nanoweave isn't a necessity any more and grenade bandoleer gives you like 9 Fujins, I'm wondering if getting good with the Fujin might provide a practical alternative when I'm out of ammo on both guns to flailing around with a knife. I don't know, I might never get the hang of it but I'm still in awe of NSRobotNinja hitting 20k Fujin kills.

I named him BuriedOne because I've been listening to 90s black metal and Old Man's Child's first album has a track called Swallowed by a Buried One that I like. He's all kitted out with skull decals and the Deathnaut helmet as a result because edgy black metal, hah. You probably won't like this unless you're an old metalhead like me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwwin91O_aM

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Some guns are good for hipfire but I wouldn't say a ton of LMGs are good at it. A lot of them are totally fine if you're close but at medium range it can be iffy. I kind of feel like some of the new attachments like short barrel aren't great unless you're exclusively hipfiring since they are a detriment if you ADS. I mostly use short barrel for something like light assault carbines with a laser sight for hipfire while flying. That said, there's nothing wrong with going with a compensator or flash suppressor or whatever you prefer. I've noticed a lot of sweaty NC heavies doing the suppressed SAW gimmick lately, being in unlikely areas like up on roofs or behind stuff so they can pop people running past them with little notice.

I'd say the VS guns are good at being accurate but don't get lots of ammo (gun depending) so practicing with the Orion is good. When I started a new character recently I went on a couple of big killstreaks with the basic Orion loadout because I've been playing with the Betelgeuse and they're nearly the same (heat mechanic and attachment differences mostly).

On NC the SAW is a weird one because its recoil/spread is kind of... rattley? It's got a bit of spray/bounce to it. That does translate to the GODSAW but it's harder to get used to when you're new. You're kind of relying on its 200 damage bullets to do the work more than aim. I've been having fun with a Silenced EM1 with ex mags for 200 rounds of surprise here and there and I barley used the EM1 in the last 10 years, I auraxed the EM6 getting the GODSAW instead. I think the reason they changed the newbie LMG on NC from SAW to GD-22S is just due to its aim being better. The Anchor is still good in that regard as well.

On TR there's the MSW-R as a good handling gun. The TMG50 is good for range but I don't personally like it that much. The Rhino and Bull are a little weird but I actually really like the Bull for accuracy even though people dislike it. I'm not a huge fan of the CARV so I'm not sure I'll dig the butcher but I have a while to go before getting that. I don't know if you play TR much but I used to use the chaingun with the BRRT and it was fine but not great. Some recent advice I read was to use it with a laser because your hipfire aim is almost as tight as your ADS aim with it and you can strafe around a bit and make yourself hard to hit. I haven't gone with the full advice the guy suggested (using Sidewinder as well) to maximize the MCG usage but I auraxed the MCG recently and switched my loadouts over to the AE version and it's been solid with a laser on it. The lack of BRRT means slower spin up but you output damage so fast once it gets going it works out, plus you can start shooting before you see someone if you know they're coming, it has a lot of ammo.

For NSO I think I've talked about this before but the XMG 100 is like the Galilei and they're both fine. Fast firing but not really a ton of ammo. The XMG-155 was kind of painful and I sort of regret auraxing it over the 200 but I just picked one and went with it.

Yeah there's a lot of strength in the ES LMGs in being able to put huge magazines on target - while the Orion/MSW-R/Anchor family are basically big snappy assault rifles, I've done better with the Rhino/EM1/Polaris family with the big magazines and the nice trait that the COF bloom caps so you can stay mobile while holding down M1.

TR LMGs with the KCAP are surprisingly versatile in big long range engagements since hitting headshots is a matter of luck. I've had less success with the VS Unstable Ammo LMGs (Ursa, though hadn't tried SVA-88) since it may be possible my LMG aim's just gotten better with LMGs so I don't need the bigger bullets as much. Unstable ammo works great for hipfire engagements though and it's a blast on carbines and ARs.

NSO LMGs are kind of funky in that the lower ROF is noticeable and they have big vertical recoil on the 100 and the -200 (need to try the -155) but the damage models are really favorable over range and they play real nice in big fights with the big magazines and decent reload speeds. It'd be nice if they had a special ammunition type like the ES guns but running high velocity is usually pretty safe.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

New Prime Gaming code available with a beepy cosmetic and drop pod cosmetics (?):

https://gaming.amazon.com/prime-cosmic-bundle/dp/amzn1.pg.item.72445088-69d9-4cff-9b47-0d4c7583ffb6

Saw on reddit that robotics technician isn't applying to the alternate art autoturret yet, probably a bug. Also doesn't count towards engineer directive spitfire kills. Woops!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I finally unlocked the Fujin on BuriedOne which took longer than I had planned, but I ground out the last half of the tengu and tomoe kills over the weekend. I think hitting 160 kills on the Naginata, Tanto, Tengu, and Tomoe could have been time better spent on other characters but for the most part I was having fun. I don't think using the Tengu on a LA is very fun, and it's kind of rear end compared to the Kappa or some of the other SMGs but it's hard to do badly with an infiltrator and an SMG, especially now that VS has Hermes cloak. The Tomoe is fine on a heavy assault, a bit behind some LMGs but if you can land headshots its main detriment is low ammo count and it has a bit of a range advantage being a scout rifle.

I have killed two people with the Fujin and thrown twelve (with four hits) according to fisu, so I guess it's time to get the bandoleers unlocked on every class and be a nuisance while I flail around pretending to be a cool ninja.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I finally unlocked the Fujin on BuriedOne which took longer than I had planned, but I ground out the last half of the tengu and tomoe kills over the weekend. I think hitting 160 kills on the Naginata, Tanto, Tengu, and Tomoe could have been time better spent on other characters but for the most part I was having fun. I don't think using the Tengu on a LA is very fun, and it's kind of rear end compared to the Kappa or some of the other SMGs but it's hard to do badly with an infiltrator and an SMG, especially now that VS has Hermes cloak. The Tomoe is fine on a heavy assault, a bit behind some LMGs but if you can land headshots its main detriment is low ammo count and it has a bit of a range advantage being a scout rifle.

I have killed two people with the Fujin and thrown twelve (with four hits) according to fisu, so I guess it's time to get the bandoleers unlocked on every class and be a nuisance while I flail around pretending to be a cool ninja.

I had a good time with a silenced Tengu with the bigger magazine, though it is tough using a SMG on light assault since it doesn't have the hipfire accuracy in the air like a carbine does. I'd been using the Sesshin from the black market over the Tomoe and it's been a good time too. I'll have to probably use more the NSX arsenal to get the Fujin though, it seems like a good alternative in close quarters for funsies.

SMGs in general are kind of interesting in that they all seem to be pretty useful - the big magazine ones are good for highly populated points while the high damage lower magazine ones have good punching power in a 1v1. The lower bullet velocity doesn't tend to be an issue since if the other guy's at a distance where that matters, you should be getting closer anyways because of the damage drop off and recoil.

I'll have to get better with shotguns for the LA directive too - probably will use the semi autos since the full autos are a bit too wide spread for consistency and the pumps don't one shot unless you're breathing on them and they don't have the aux shield.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I had a good time with a silenced Tengu with the bigger magazine, though it is tough using a SMG on light assault since it doesn't have the hipfire accuracy in the air like a carbine does. I'd been using the Sesshin from the black market over the Tomoe and it's been a good time too. I'll have to probably use more the NSX arsenal to get the Fujin though, it seems like a good alternative in close quarters for funsies.

SMGs in general are kind of interesting in that they all seem to be pretty useful - the big magazine ones are good for highly populated points while the high damage lower magazine ones have good punching power in a 1v1. The lower bullet velocity doesn't tend to be an issue since if the other guy's at a distance where that matters, you should be getting closer anyways because of the damage drop off and recoil.

I'll have to get better with shotguns for the LA directive too - probably will use the semi autos since the full autos are a bit too wide spread for consistency and the pumps don't one shot unless you're breathing on them and they don't have the aux shield.

My experience with the Fujin so far is that sometimes you just hurl a knife past a dude and it dings off a wall, and sometimes you just drop someone. It's situational and I think NSRobotNinja's antics were improved by using the Nightmare implant so he'd vanish after killing. He'd also drop in from weird angles and was doing quiet stuff so he wouldn't get a lot of notice. I'm still learning and working on unlocking bandoleer on all the classes but it's pretty good for balls to the wall aggression. On BuriedOne I think my best killstreaks are with the Canis and I'm adding in the Fujin lately. Even though the goal is headshots, it also does a fair amount of damage by itself, so if you hit someone you can follow it up by shooting them and often kill them if they didn't get ahead on damage while you were doing your throwing animation. In these clips I think the guy I killed in the second one with the Fujin was damaged from other VS shooting him, and the last guy who I threw one at was probably dead already. The first guy was a clear one shot headshot, though.

I'm still trying to decide on a pistol to use, due to being low on certs I've mostly been using the beamer with a silencer. NSRobotNinja was using the little crossbows for one shot headshot quiet times but I'm not trying to duplicate his build, just learn the Fujin. I often use the Pilot or Emissary for infiltrator since they both support silencers and are good guns. The Commissioner is always appealing though since it puts people down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv71SHV-LHQ

I was using the Baron G5AE a little bit to work on Exceptional for the specialty directives on Wrack and I still feel like the baron has always been a solid shotgun. I feel like it takes me a little bit of time to get used to one but the Baron (and viscount) click fast. With the smart choke and flechette ammo it has a lot of range, too.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

So whats the best NC Carbine for Light Assault these days?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Scarabrae posted:

So whats the best NC Carbine for Light Assault these days?

If you prefer to be up close then
The 7F is the highest dps cqc lead vomiter.
The Bandit is also good in cqc ("merely" as good as the Cyclone) and it has the 0.75 ads movespeed perk
If you find yourself ads'ing often then you probably want the Bandit, otherwise 7F.

If you like the drifter jets then the Tanto can be fun but it's gimmicky.

For general/medium range usage the Charger, Merc and Razor are all very good. The Razor in particular is so stable that you can put a 3.4 scope on it if you really want.

Never used the X11, Rogue or Compact.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Lima posted:

If you prefer to be up close then
The 7F is the highest dps cqc lead vomiter.
The Bandit is also good in cqc ("merely" as good as the Cyclone) and it has the 0.75 ads movespeed perk
If you find yourself ads'ing often then you probably want the Bandit, otherwise 7F.

If you like the drifter jets then the Tanto can be fun but it's gimmicky.

For general/medium range usage the Charger, Merc and Razor are all very good. The Razor in particular is so stable that you can put a 3.4 scope on it if you really want.

Never used the X11, Rogue or Compact.

Both the AC-X11 and the Gauss Compact come with underbarrel launchers available which is a nice diversion compared to the other generalist carbines. X11 has 200 damage bullets which is its own reward.

Hadn't used the Rogue outside VR training and so if you like the Mercenary and want better ADS spread for mid range and don't mind clicking it's a solid pick.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'd concur with the GD-7F for flying around people and hosing them down as well as a lot of the other recommendations. The AC-X11 is kind of like a carbine SAW where its 200 damage gimmick does a lot of the heavy lifting, but it makes it a good weapon, just a little different. When I was working towards the Fortuna I tended to use the faster carbines for drifter jets and skirmisher and save the AC-X11 for Icarus jets where I'm either going up somewhere to shoot down/across at longer ranges, or I'm going up to drop down into a building so I may need to pop heads as I land. For the latter use anything is fine, but the longer range stopping power was useful to me for that. Now I mostly have different Fortuna loadouts but I haven't played NC a ton lately.

In some ways I don't think there's really a bad NC carbine, even the stock Mercenary is pretty good, there's just some different handling depending on which one you're using. I auraxed the Razor and Bandit so long ago I can barely remember how they play (2019-2021 according to the directives). Some folks don't like the gimmick of the Charger where its first seven rounds in a mag fire faster, but I enjoyed it.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Ya fired this game up after a long time, so long I had all these goons on my in game friend list from when the goon faction used to be NC

Lol stuck in a 3 way battle for The Crown and I got timewarped back to 2012

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Planetmans... Planetmans never changes.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

https://i.imgur.com/YQB4EB8.mp4

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Little hotfix tomorrow. They still don't know what a hotfix is so the servers are going down for it. It seems to just be fixing issues with the prime directive autoturret:
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/sept-14-2023-pc-hotfix.261754/

quote:

Game servers will go down for our scheduled pc update tomorrow @ 6am pt / 3pm cest. for a 2hr downtime window.

Bug Fixes
"Prime Directive" Spitfire directives enabled and fixed
"Prime Directive" Spitfire now works with Robotics Technician Implant

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

It's been a couple years since I played this, and I remember one of the reasons I stopped was because I was getting sick of the constant redeploys and the feeling like there wasn't a real frontline as a result. Has that changed at all?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FeculentWizardTits posted:

It's been a couple years since I played this, and I remember one of the reasons I stopped was because I was getting sick of the constant redeploys and the feeling like there wasn't a real frontline as a result. Has that changed at all?

There's still a lot of redeploying to hop between bases but it doesn't really mean there's no front line. Alerts kind of evolve into important bases (usually ones with more lattice connections to other bases) vs. not as important ones. The important ones lead to the big 100 vs 100 fights and the less important ones can still have big fights but don't tend to have the same ferocity. It also depends on time of day and what's going on, there's a lot of big battles over important bases that last a long time during prime time, but at late night or midday when population is small it's easier for a slightly larger force to run down a whole lattice and a lot of the continent alerts are limited scale. At the same time the late nights often have big farming fights at the middle bases (Nason's Defiance, The Ascent, The Crown, etc) that will last a long time until someone starts killing sunderers and then their faction starts getting backcapped to lose their warpgate connection.

If you're with an organized group you're going to be deploying on squad beacons or dropping in off valkyries pretty often doing offensive ops, so there's a fair bit of bouncing around for alerts, but if you're a solo player like me you can choose what you want to do. I tend to hop between defensive battles or if I'm in the mood, drop in on offensive ones. Late night it's often necessary to start fights or just join in the farming at the middle base. I've been doing my own squad beacons lately to drop in from weird spots and get a few kills before they find me.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

How do you get others into your squad? They don't seem to be discoverable until you have squad leader rank, which you can't get without people in your squad.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

For squads or platoons the way the current system works is that anyone can make a one man squad and will get access to /leader chat, map icons, and smoke. In order to have your squad be publicly listed and/or use squad beacons you need two people in it, so you need to add friends or outfit members (or just throw out random invites by holding down Q on people or clicking on them on the map). My method of solo squadding is that I have more than one computer that can run the game and accounts are free, so I have a couple of alt accounts with characters from each faction on Emerald and Connery to enable beacons. It also makes doing the Soldier and Shepherd mission easy. The vehicle resupply missions can be done like this too but they usually require a front line combat zone so it's not always simple and fast. I've also solo flown liberators and done harassers/tanks with a gunner on a second PC but it's really not effective compared with having two people because it's hard to really pay attention to two sets of controls and two screens at once. Valkyries are a little more forgiving but it's always hard to pilot and gun at the same time.

When I looked up dual boxing the game for stuff like this it seemed like because the company keeps their policies consistent between games, you can have extra accounts as much as you want because they also run games like EverQuest where it seems to just be how people play it. The main thing that's forbidden is stat padding where you just farm one person and kill trade. They will ban folks for that no question. I'm sure doing missions like soldier and shepherd is a grey area but I also don't have that much respect for the dignity of a missions system in a game about shooting dudes when the missions aren't about shooting dudes. I shoot planetmen to do the missions that involve that.

There's a bunch of folks who bot up characters to presumably sell or use that daybreak seems to mostly ignore, but they do show up on the stat padders lists on fisu. Generally they're getting alts to shoot and reload from their ammo packs more than some threshold number. As far as I can tell having my alt fire 50 motion sensor darts from my ammo pack to do Soldier and Shepherd has never gotten me on this list because it's under the threshold they have for it:
https://ps2.fisu.pw/statpadders/

There's also bound to be some false positives where two people will end up fighting over a base late at night and just killing each other frequently but fisu isn't an official site or anything, it just pulls data from the API. I think the listings for the padding league are going to be the real abusers. I clicked on one killboard and it's someone killing like 20+ flashes someone else pulled with the SPRK-33's Stomper. They're just working on auraxing it by cheesing it I guess.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 15, 2023

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for the detailed response!

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I saw a Sunderer with an MLG logo and I couldn’t stop laughing for a few mins, oh the throw backs

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hell yeah! If you haven't played in a while there's still a bunch of codes that work for free stuff. If you've already used them before they just will fail. There's the unique amazon prime gaming codes this month, too, they've been doing them for almost a year now around one per month.

quote:

PS2Escalation = NS-11P (Assault Rifle) + Platinum Compound Helmet

PSUARMORDECAL = PSU armor decal

PSUVEHICLEDECAL = PSU vehicel decal

5YEARSPS2 = PS2 5th anniv. decal (vehicle&armor)

6YEARSPS2 = NSX-P Naginata (LMG) + PS2 6th anniv. decal (vehicle&armor)

NSOPS2019 = NSX-P Tengu (SMG / Shotgun-Hybrid)

MLGREPORT = MLG decal (vehicle&armor) + 1h XP&recourse boost → ! Note¹

PS2WelcomeBack = NSX-P Tanto (Carbine) + Platinum NS Helmet

SURF2022 = UBR-300 Swordfish-P (Amphibious Rifle)

EXTRALIFE2021 = Contribution Headset

NineYearsPS2 = decal (probably similar to the other anniversary decals)

LEGACY2022 = NS-11c (Carbine) + NS Harrower (simple Melee/knife)

EXTRALIFE2022 = Benefactor Helmet

*Note¹: The MLGREPORT code can only be redeemed on one character per account. So choose wisely which character you want the decals and boosts on.

They added the code 20YearsPlanetside this year but it also just gives the NSX-P Tengu so you just don't get anything new.

You mentioning the MLGREPORT decal made me think of it.

edit: also I forgot to mention that the variants of the NSX weapons work for the NSX weapon eval missions, but don't add to your weapons directives, they have their own categories in the special directives under the exceptional categories. You can also Trial a weapon to try to do the weapon eval but it can be hard to rack up 30 kills with one. The Masamune one is good if you drop in at an enemy or unclaimed amp station or tech plant and pop the base turrets, though. Those count as vehicle kills. The Amaterasu is also only 10 kills.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 15, 2023

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

So how do you get the cloaking for Sunderer’s? I don’t see that in the sundy certs, again I haven’t played in 9 years lol

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Scarabrae posted:

So how do you get the cloaking for Sunderer’s? I don’t see that in the sundy certs, again I haven’t played in 9 years lol

It's going to be the 4th rank of the vehicle stealth certification for Sunderers, which is a little expensive.

I find it's easier and cheaper to rank up the deployment shield or the ammo dispenser since most folks are running stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's a short maintenance on Emerald and Jaeger tomorrow for unspecified reasons.
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/emerald-and-jaeger-maintenance-9-20-23.261769/

Maybe they're finally upgrading from a 486 33mhz to a DX2 66mhz!