Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

"Thrash Metal (early); Ska/Punk (later)" tells a hell of a story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

symbolic posted:

"Thrash Metal (early); Ska/Punk (later)"

-Ernest Hemingway, 1925

I know that’s the joke but I like it :)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lmao

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Kilometers Davis posted:

Morbid Angel era when

Hyperdontia will save us. Oh speaking of I haven't heard their latest EP, I should do that next.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Djent is stupid and shouldn't be catalogued on ANY website, metal focused or otherwise

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Anything else good the last month or so? Last new thing I listened to was the full of hell/gasp record

someone else posted it but that new Nithing LP is really good, you'll probably like it if you like full of hell

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rush: metal
Between the Buried and Me: apparently hardcore

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Snowy posted:

Sure, but not since what, the 70s?

Also,

I have conducted a investigation and discovered that Ragbroder is quite possibly the most Finnish band in the world.

Athena is kinda neat, the Ska vibes are nicely integrated with some phrygian modes and rhythmic devices that make it feel a little bit middle-eastern. Also getting Estradasphere/Zorn vibes from some of the chord progressions/melodies.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 16, 2023

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

"djent" is a contraction of "djust isen't" metal

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

symbolic posted:

"Thrash Metal (early); Ska/Punk (later)" tells a hell of a story

Larry LaLonde did it better

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Any metal band with a saxophone in it is ska.

Rivers of Nihil? Ska.
White Ward? Ska.
Ihsahn? Ska!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snowy posted:

I know that’s the joke but I like it :)

Lol

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Snowy posted:

Sure, but not since what, the 70s?

there were a bunch in the late 80s/early 90s. skankin' pickle came up in reference to how bad smashmouth was in the gbs deadpool thread.

also children and portland loving love the aquabats

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I unapologetically like Streetlight Manifesto. Bomb the Music Industry! are also great but their best stuff is probably their least ska-ish.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

I unapologetically like Streetlight Manifesto. Bomb the Music Industry! are also great but their best stuff is probably their least ska-ish.

Streetlight Manifesto fucks so goddamn hard, Somewhere in the Between is just wall-to-wall bangers.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Also from what I've heard, Meshuggah isn't Djent. For many reasons, not least being good

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
the biggest thing meshuggah has in common with djent is they both loving suck

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
what is djent?

disc jockey entertainment or walking trees spinning records? because I don't see how the later could suck

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I accidentally bought tickets to a metalcore show and I’m not sure what to expect. That it will probably be bad? My friend asked me to take her to a metal show, and I saw that a band called Angelmaker is playing soon so I bought tickets assuming it was going to be death metal! Am I in for a terrible time?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
“melodic deathcore from vancouver” is not a good sign!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

remigious posted:

I accidentally bought tickets to a metalcore show and I’m not sure what to expect. That it will probably be bad? My friend asked me to take her to a metal show, and I saw that a band called Angelmaker is playing soon so I bought tickets assuming it was going to be death metal! Am I in for a terrible time?

Never heard of them but RYM has them as a deathcore band which is usually bad, though they seem well liked for that genre and are one of those symphonic/blackened deathcore bands that are big now. It'll probably be fine. Try to have fun.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
no don’t, stand there with your arms crossed and stare at everyone like a dickhead

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I will try to have fun and will return with a trip report! It’s going to be tough because I love going to shows and drinking too much, but I’m sober now so the fun will have to come from within.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Growing up the only shows that were really accessible to me were local metalcore bands, so I have a huge soft spot for it. Wouldn't seek out listening to it on like Spotify or whatever but its fun live.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i like the guy from angelmaker so i hope you like them

the #1 bc band i want to see is Neck of the Woods

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I used to be adamantly against any kind of metalcore, but now I'll listen to it if it's interesting. Then again, a lot of metalcore is derivative. I just quit being such a snob about music once I hit my 30s.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just had to discover which kind of metalcore I like. I still have somewhat of an aversion to breakdowns but I just joined a band that does them plentifully and it's been fun.

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

The Voice of Labor posted:

what is djent?

disc jockey entertainment or walking trees spinning records? because I don't see how the later could suck

According to Wikipedia:

quote:

Djent is an inhalant and hallucinogen created from fermented human waste. In the mid-1990s, it was reported to be a popular street drug among Zambian youth. They would reportedly put the feces and urine in a jar or a bucket and seal it with a balloon or lid respectively, then leave it out to ferment in the sun; afterwards they would inhale the fumes created.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Radio Paranoia posted:

Any metal band with a saxophone in it is ska.

Corrections House-industrial ska supergroup.

Pickituppickituppickitup!

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Dudes need to listen to Painkiller

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Then again, who doesn't?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I heard the opening drum fill immediately

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
is monster magnet caveman? are cavemen monsters?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

confirming the new Dying Fetus does whip rear end

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Last night I saw Midnight/Twin Temple/BEHEMOTH/DANZIG. It ruled.

The pit for Behemoth was insane. And I'm surprised Glenn Danzig still doesn't sound half-bad. He's looking ghoulish though.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I saw Conan/Godflesh/Boris/Melvins Saturday at Desertfest nyc.

Went up to the rail for Godflesh and picked the right band for that, they were absolutely crushing. The sound was so powerful it felt like the drum machine was going to make my heart malfunction. They even played Dead Head, one of my all time favorites. Ran into a few friends later and we were all like “goddamn can you believe that?”

Conan was great, Boris is always wonderful, and I love Bullhead so Mevins were awesome even though Dale missed the tour due to emergency spine surgery.

I missed almost all the bands on other stages but caught a few minutes of Brant Bjork. Might just be me but it sounded so milquetoast it was like “how do you do, fellow stoners?”

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Nazzadan posted:

I've just had it on repeat since I heard it, it's so good. Probably their Obscene Majesty

you posted this about a week ago and reminded me that obscene majesty exists and i jammed it back to back a few times since then. such a good album. i wish that production wasn't quite as muddy/muffled(?) as it is, though. but who knows, that might add to its charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Playing a fest in your berks, loving power move. \m/