Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
There's actually a very simple solution to this that should require only minor changes to the story and gameplay.

Now, hear me out. One day, you receive a distress call from your Uncle, a scientist working deep in the jungles of Qud...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

over/under on "they're spying on you in ways illegal in how many countries at once" vs. "it's all made-up bullshit hallucinated by a chatbot"

It's the former. IronSource bought out Unity a while back and they're literally a malware company

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
barf.

It's an extremely poorly formed license for desktop applications. It, rightly, is receiving a huge amount of negative pushback from developers (including us). It's poorly thought out, retroactive terms, breached trust with their entire community. It will have a big impact on our engine decisions going forward, especially if they do not quickly walk back yesterdays announcement and show some impact to board and executive makeup as a result.

In my view, they released a proposed install-based license that makes sense only for iOS and Android devices, who provide those reports to developers, and makes no sense at all for PCs. There is clearly no way that Unity can collect meaningful install data on PC platforms without severe privacy implications. (and frankly they have stated publicly that they have no real technology so far that will accomplish this, it's something they're 'working on'). So this is a big issue for not only developers but also users, if Unity truly plans to monitor installs that closely.

We won't be participating in any future versions of Unity if they attempt to add any sort of install tracking.

However, practically, it won't have an impact on Qud 1.0 development. We're using the 2022 LTS version of Unity, before any of this reared its head, and will continue to do so until the situation is clear.

Going forward, Qud was originally developed outside of Unity, and our only real utilization of Unity is the UI system for the modern UI system, and some easily replaced elements like sprite rendering, text rendering, sound rendering, etc. If it becomes necessary we could port to a different C#-based engine, or simply go back to writing our own from scratch (or based on some FOSS basis), since the majority of the game logic is still simply running on a second thread with no knowledge of Unity whatsoever.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 13, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
*banging on table with fork and knife*

Caves of Qud 1.0 in CURSES!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

*banging on table with fork and knife*

Caves of Qud 1.0 in CURSES!

From your mouth to gods ears, friend

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Don't you think that's a bit too ancient to release a new game in?

Caves of Qud 1.0 in Ncurses.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Caves of Cruelty Squad

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Buy the Fox engine from Konami for like $12

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
can we have an 80x25 door game version while we're wishing, lets see some sick rear end full screen ascii paintings

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

:eyepop:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Just copy it to byond. Can probably compile it tomorrow

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

hell yeah

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Just copy it to byond. Can probably compile it tomorrow

Multiplayer Qud

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I decided not to wait for you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UTtrl3PNOY

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

lmao

:stare:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

:five:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Buy the Fox engine from Konami for like $12

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Amazing. How was I the first like on this?!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

stolen from discords

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

Don't you think that's a bit too ancient to release a new game in?

Caves of Qud 1.0 in Ncurses.

RPGMaker MZ!

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
So because having every mutation made a non chimera basically unplayable I decided to do the warm static loop on a chimera and the game granted me 15 extra hands without counting multiple arms. So now I can just hit someone with 17 flaming hands, 2 claws, one horn, and one confusion stinger. Now to see where hubris and frustration over the size of the actions menu takes me

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
CoQ gangtang when

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Revins posted:

CoQ gangtang when

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Unormal has to pay $.20 every time we use the CoQ gangtag.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
  • The reload command no longer attempts to reload point-defense drones.
  • When creatures die in the same square as a wall or other movement-blocking object, items they had equipped now drop into a nearby passable square if one is available.
  • Creatures are now more likely to use Quill Fling if they are adjacent to multiple hostile creatures and less likely to use it if there are adjacent to friendlies or neutrals (especially if those are badly hurt) or objects that may cause trouble to damage.
  • Copies of the sheaf of tattered parchment no longer appear randomly in the world.
  • Barathrumites present in Grit Gate at the start of A Call to Arms no longer perform idle behavior until A Call to Arms is over.
  • Horned chameleons that are mimicking something else's color are now only recognized by autoact as hostile at a distance of 3 squares or less.
  • Mimics that are mimicking something else now are no longer recognized by autoact as hostile.
  • Clonelings now stop cloning attempts in progress when their ability to clone becomes forbidden or otherwise unusable.
  • Spider creatures who have prominent roles in villages no longer compulsively attack creatures who become stuck near them. The same is true of Sheba Hagadias if she is a spider creature.
  • Sheba Hagadias is now automatically revealed if she is a type of creature that is usually hidden.
  • When you try to walk into a brick wall, your way is now referred to as being blocked by some brick, not a brick.
  • Idle creatures will now sometimes move to a chair that isn't too far away in order to sit on it for a while, rather than only sitting on chairs that are in the same square as them.
  • Fixed a bug that caused excessive failure popups when trying to auto-equip an item while stuck.
  • Fixed a bug that made falling down a coral pit display messages both that you fell down a coral pit and fell down a deep shaft.
  • Fixed a bug that caused villages and ruins to generate with far more inaccessible areas than intended.
  • Fixed a bug that caused temporal fugue clones to spawn their own copies of Either/Or.
  • Fixed a bug that made it impossible to hit walls with thrown objects.
  • Fixed a bug that made throwing reveal the identified appearance of unidentified artifacts.
  • Fixed a bug that made energy cell replacement on artifacts in your inventory or equipped default to cancelling out of the dialog if you had no suitable cells for the artifact.
  • Fixed a bug that made containers filled with convalessence, even in normal environmental temperatures, sublimate away and, in the case of regen tanks, explode.
  • Fixed an error that could occur during world generation when spawning legendary animated versions of high-tech furniture.
  • [modding] Updated the mod compiler, allowing projects to use C# language version 9.
  • [modding] Updated the mod toolkit's csproj template.
  • [modding] Added Before="[ELEMENT_ID]" and After="[ELEMENT_ID]" attributes to Conversations.xml, which positions the element relative to the referenced id.

205.63 - 'beta' branch
  • Fixed a bug that caused doubled navigation inputs in some cases.
  • Fixed 'm' not opening the modding utilities on the main menu.
  • [modding] The workshop uploader now provides a native file picker for images.
  • [modding] The workshop uploader now allows you to close the upload status screen after an error.
  • [modding] The workshop uploader now allows you to elide hidden files from your uploads.
  • [modding] The map editor now provides a native file picker for maps.
  • [modding] The mod manager now displays disabled mods as grey instead of red.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I sort of liked the spider ai overriding the civilized veneer of a village elder or whatever but I can see why that would be undesired

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Solution is simple; talk to Tarn Adams. You smash your game into his engine, he gets a really, really weird adventure mode pre-built, and we all get to play Dwarf Fortresses of Qud

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Yes, hand off village management to libdf.so. You go into town and an upset villager in a fell mood beckons you into their workshop, where your rear end gets turned into a spiky artifact adorned with spikes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm hoping qud gets ported to Godot by tomorrow cuz it'll make a great KOTAKU headline

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Caves of Cruelty Squad

liberal caves of cruelty crime squad

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Love watching the progress of the godot conversion. https://nitter.net/unormal/status/1703163364229161236

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I’m not joking when I say your should put out a press release, unormal. Make a statement. And get a little positive press for yourself as well.

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Further Reading posted:

Love watching the progress of the godot conversion. https://nitter.net/unormal/status/1703163364229161236

This is so fantastic.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1703583742369919353

The madman did it

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

I just powered through getting my mind sundered with this by attempting to blast the bastard with the scooped carbine through a room of mirthworms and centipedes and getting enough lucky critcals on all the crawlies to survive because I just kept missing the dude somehow!! it ruled, very metal

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cantorsdust posted:

I’m not joking when I say your should put out a press release, unormal. Make a statement. And get a little positive press for yourself as well.

I would wager that this whole thing is 75+% a PR stunt. Like, yes, having Qud running on anything that isn't Unity is very important, but the reason why Unormal is dedicating so much time and energy to it right now (as opposed to taking a more sedate pace that doesn't require pulling long weekend hours) is because there's the potential to get press attention by doing so. Here's hoping it works!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Further Reading posted:

I have a feeling we're going to be waiting a while for Godot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

over/under on "they're spying on you in ways illegal in how many countries at once" vs. "it's all made-up bullshit hallucinated by a chatbot"

My assumption is 'both'. Collect tons of PII, feed it into a chatbot, use whatever it hallucinates as the inarguable scientific truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
:getin:

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1703643463047061925