Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Glen is cool, but there's only so many samey looking old fashioned cakes he can make before it feels a bit rote.

He does seem to have an amazing life though. His alternative channel involves him rebuilding and flying his own airplane around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's not really a food tv show, but it remains a guilty pleasure. Hell's Kitchen is back!

I just started up the first episode and holy poo poo that description of the American dream as "The American dream isn't 'come in and make friends and live a jolly life' it's to sacrifice and give it your all to achieve your dreams", as a response to people chatting a little in kitchen, in the context of a reality TV competition where you'll be screamed at by a millionaire and you compete under the pretense of a meritocracy and whatever person rises to the top of that is rewarded (in part) with the chance to work for a wage under the guy who has been screaming at you... It feels very accidentally on the nose because I don't think Fox is self aware enough for that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They've had to start editing in the same "donkey poo poo" and other expletives since most are a half felt "come on" vs the raw emotion of it's rawwww *smash plate* in the early days.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Young man in Kentucky doing food reviews on TikTok

Mostly reviews chains like Golden Corral, McDonald’s, and grocery meals like Stouffers

Gets his mind blown by trying Indian food :3:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7289155190924660011

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Mostly reviews chains like Golden Corral, McDonald’s, and grocery meals like Stouffers

"My taste buds have been violated" lmfao this is lovely.

Also eating butter chicken and naan in a car is skipping to New Game+ on your first try. Respect.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

flashy_mcflash posted:

Also eating butter chicken and naan in a car is skipping to New Game+ on your first try. Respect.

Madness! Take your food home.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Eating Indian food in a car sounds like a very bad idea

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
That right there is why I always recommend butter chicken as a first exposure to Indian food for timid eaters. If your westernized palate can't adore murgh makhni, just accept that enjoying food isn't for you and turn your life to other pursuits.

Just don't eat in the car fool.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mystes posted:

Eating Indian food in a car sounds like a very bad idea

In a shirt+tie

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

In a shirt+tie

With a fork! You've got a whole-rear end container of rice right there!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Then what the hell do Indian people eat in their car

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

indian people lvoe burger.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Onion bhaji, any kind of pakora, samosas, chaat, pav, pholourie or doubles if you're indo-caribbean.

I don't think I'd risk pani puri in the car but it's better than butter chicken and naan.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

My girlfriend and I have this thing where we have to pick a favorite for Great British Baking Show halfway through the first episode. I picked Dan and she picked Saku. I think I picked way wrong because Dan has this rage in his eyes that makes me really afraid. This dude keeps bodies in his basement.

Grem fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 16, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s gonna be Tash. You can’t be bad at bread and win the show. Dan was awful at bread.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I picked Amos before the series started. :smith:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

We have to pick before the technical was done and Tasha absolutely blew it on the first two challenges of episode one, I thought she was going home!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Steve Yun posted:

god this cracks me up. he keeps saying "best thing i've ever had in my life" and he's clearly like, no older than 20. such soft, pink hands. i think he lived in a giant crib his entire life until maybe six months ago

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
He has an interesting rating scale because fettuccine Alfredo at Olive Garden will get a 9/10 but garlic naan from a mom and pop will get a 9.5 and called the best bread he’s eaten in his life and the butter chicken will get a 9.9 and in a moment of weakness called the best thing he’s ever eaten

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7285045147014876447

Edit: Lol the mom and pops in Bowling Green doing God’s work :mexico:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7289534515804966186

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 16, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i mean the dude just likes eating. and also theres a market for trying a bunch of food and just being completely positive about it. a bunch of this poo poo is totally cynical - you got tafferty and ramsey being the ones you watch for the 'rah this loving sucks a donkeys cock how dare you serve this' and then you turn around for like, i dont know, guy fieri or some of the youtube guys like what used to be 'worth it' and so on for when you want to watch 'oh this poo poo is off the hook i could eat this off a flip flop'.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
yeah he does have a charmingly naive affect. makes me want to take him around with me for a couple days and watch his mind get blown by like, sichuan food and jagermeister

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I honestly think that Ramsay plays up the rage. People are allowed to enjoy Sysco food. Also, freezing leftovers is fine. Relax. Your blood pressure will thank you.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

dino. posted:

I honestly think that Ramsay plays up the rage. People are allowed to enjoy Sysco food. Also, freezing leftovers is fine. Relax. Your blood pressure will thank you.

every single episode he also takes the food, dices it up into a million pieces with his knife and fork and smears it around the plate and then goes "what a mess!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

dino. posted:

Of course he does. That's how he got famous in the UK in the first place but people got tired of it real fast and he acted normally for most shows. Then when he came to the US he suddenly played up the rage again because we ate it up. Now he does reaction videos on Tik Tok.

I always want to see more of this Gordon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZDSuDw1c0I

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I watched some of the new Kitchen Nightmares and he kinda just puts on the same show every time.

It’s bad btw don’t watch it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
From what I gather Ramsay learned you could get famous for being mean from Marco Pierre White. But while MPW was being his nasty old self, for Ramsay it seemed to be an act that he played up in pursuit of ratings

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Kinda. I'm sure it's been recommended here before, but there's a great doc on him called Boiling Point. Up on youtube. Was recorded just before he was tv famous, and you get the sense he very much was a raging hard rear end, but it was because he was a small business owner on a mission and had no tolerance for anyone who could gently caress up his chance at a third michillan star. I don't think it started as an intentional act for camera's as much as once he kept being rewarded for it, it became something he leaned into.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Aww, Bobby’s huge kitty died :smith:

https://twitter.com/todayshow/status/1714350592053674009

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Vegetable posted:

It’s gonna be Tash. You can’t be bad at bread and win the show. Dan was awful at bread.

Dan was very lucky not to be eliminated placing last in the Technical and doing terrible in the Showstopper.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

RIP to a real one

edit: Bobby’s appreciation of big fluffy orange cats is easily his best feature, orange cat best cat

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 18, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7293597420120853803

This is Keith Lee, former boxer from Las Vegas who turned to Tiktok during the pandemic, started reviewing restaurants and is now maybe the single most influential restaurant critic in the US. I am not exaggerating when I say he’s filling in a hole left by Jonathan Gold and Anthony Bourdain, because he not only seeks out mom and pops, but there’s a human-interest aspect to his reviews: often there’s a sob story where they’re about to go out of business or the owner is struggling with medical bills or the former owner died and their kids are trying to keep it going. Keith promotes them if the food is good and they always end up being swarmed into success.

Right now he’s in Atlanta. His followers from Atlanta complain about the entire restaurant industry there being terrible, nickel-and-diming everything and providing terrible customer service. They’ve been looking forward to him terrorizing the industry and hoping he can scare the city into shaping up. Apparently treating customers like cattle car and asking $1 for each condiment is common there?

Edit: I just realized the first Michelin guide just dropped in Atlanta a few days ago lol

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 28, 2023

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Couple things here man. 1: a breakfast restaurant in the middle of downtown, across the street from the aquarium, is not representative of the dining culture of the city as a whole. 2: a guy filming himself eating takeout food in his car is not the next Anthony Bourdain, what the gently caress are you talking about?! "The single most influential restaurant critic"? I feel like I'm losing my mind!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pretty much all the Momofuku restaurants shut down and there's barely any reaction whatsoever. 10-15 years ago everyone was hyping up David Chang so much including Anthony Bourdain. But I kind of get it when his restaurants used to have $80 tasting menus but now cost closer to $300. It's just weird that nobody cares.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Anthony Bourdain was never a restaurant critic; he definitely did not do the same thing that Jonathan Gold and I’m sure he’d be the first to say that. He was a food and travel writer, which is not the same as a critic. I would also say that Keith Lee is not a critic, he’s definitely much more on the Bourdain end than on the Jonathan Gold end, but to me he feels like a social media evolution of those Travel Channel/Food Network shows where the hosts bop around to restaurants across the country (or globe if you’re popular enough) like DDD or the stuff Andrew Zimmern did. Obviously being an independent presence rather than a corporate one he gets to be a little more critical about some aspects of food culture but what you’ve just described (focus on mom/pops, storytelling, often bringing a boost in business) is basically why Guy Fieri is now the face of Food Network, and there’s nothing wrong with that. In a world where corporate chains control an increasing amount of the food we eat, someone advocating for eating local is good, as is advocating for consumer friendly business practices.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Mu Zeta posted:

Pretty much all the Momofuku restaurants shut down and there's barely any reaction whatsoever. 10-15 years ago everyone was hyping up David Chang so much including Anthony Bourdain. But I kind of get it when his restaurants used to have $80 tasting menus but now cost closer to $300. It's just weird that nobody cares.
He stepped down from his restaurants in 2019 as a move to do more TV stuff (which he did/is). He also got lowkey canceled in 2021 https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/05/dining/restaurant-workers-ndas-david-chang.html

I think those, along with covid and generally not being the new cool thing anymore, are bigger factors than the price. Bon Appétit has an overview https://www.bonappetit.com/story/david-chang-momofuku-ko-closing-explained

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 30, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I feel like Chang started chilling out a decade ago, hadn’t heard much about his outbursts in a while, maybe because he had a tv career at stake all of a sudden

There’s a hilarious moment on… I think it was Mind of a Chef? Where they’re having a meal and Chang says something, Redzepi disagrees with him, and you see Chang cover his mouth because he wants to argue so bad and he’s flustered that he has to keep himself from not yelling in front of a camera

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Really enjoyed the relatively cheap $14 tonkotsu lunch Monofoku did years ago. Not sure it's that surprising the restaurants are going out with a wimper (well, a BA-covered-wimper), as that was popular almost 15 years ago. The world of Monofoku, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Hamilton, etc. no longer exists.

Hell's Kitchen continues to be the comfort trash tv it's always been. Really enjoying how ham-fisted the AMERICAN DREAM theme is this season. It's so, so unnatural and painful everytime someone brings it up.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

I feel like Chang started chilling out a decade ago, hadn’t heard much about his outbursts in a while, maybe because he had a tv career at stake all of a sudden

There’s a hilarious moment on… I think it was Mind of a Chef? Where they’re having a meal and Chang says something, Redzepi disagrees with him, and you see Chang cover his mouth because he wants to argue so bad and he’s flustered that he has to keep himself from not yelling in front of a camera

Apparently he got diagnosed with bipolar disorder, which explains a lot https://www.npr.org/2020/09/05/909969011/david-chang-discusses-mental-health-and-his-new-memoir

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I went to Ko ages ago and while it was very good, it was not worth the price and I haven't really ever recommended it to anyone who wasn't already dead set on it. The italian place he opened very very briefly was just not good, I can't even remember what it was called. Noodle bar still mostly holds up, but is always crowded, consistency slipped, and prices are crazy for ramen. Chang is just focused on selling overpriced soy sauce and chili crisp to go with their instant ramen packets while he does tv stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Really enjoyed the relatively cheap $14 tonkotsu lunch Monofoku did years ago. Not sure it's that surprising the restaurants are going out with a wimper (well, a BA-covered-wimper), as that was popular almost 15 years ago. The world of Monofoku, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Hamilton, etc. no longer exists.

Hell's Kitchen continues to be the comfort trash tv it's always been. Really enjoying how ham-fisted the AMERICAN DREAM theme is this season. It's so, so unnatural and painful everytime someone brings it up.

Yeah. Also Momofuku isn't nearly as unique as it was when it blew up. It's not hard to find something that has the same flavor profile and quality.