Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

oh jay posted:

Amazing that they rebuilt it despite me blowing up the Pentagon for zero narrative reason.

I believe the Lone Wanderer is like a dog and just sort of does things arbitrarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The evil ending is never canon

Otherwise all the sequels to Fallout 1 would be about the Master's perfect society slowly enveloping the entire continent

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The West Coast will never show up again because me and my homeboy Elijah smothered it in the Cloud.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wipe the slate clean. Begin again.

It would be funny if the Fallout TV show went with the Wild Wasteland Planet of the Apes ending where the NCR and Legion both get nuked back to the stone age.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 30, 2023

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Arc Hammer posted:

Wipe the slate clean. Begin again.

It would be funny if the Fallout TV show went with the Wild Wasteland Planet of the Apes ending where the NCR and Legion bith got nuked back to the stone age.

I prefer doing Lonesome Road before I find Benny, so that both factions will forgive me for nuking them.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I haven't seen season 4 of Westworld yet, but Johnathan Nolan and Lisa Joy did a really good job with it, even if production didn't always run smooth. And that's a great cast. I'm cautiously interested, especially with it being canon and not an adaptation.

Anyone ever read the old story treatment for a Fallout film Interplay had written up? It's....something. Fallout 1 would actually adapt really well into a film.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

OldMemes posted:

I haven't seen season 4 of Westworld yet, but Johnathan Nolan and Lisa Joy did a really good job with it, even if production didn't always run smooth. And that's a great cast. I'm cautiously interested, especially with it being canon and not an adaptation.

Anyone ever read the old story treatment for a Fallout film Interplay had written up? It's....something. Fallout 1 would actually adapt really well into a film.

I vaguely remember reading bits of it and the script saying the retrofuturistic thing would specifically only be in the vault as the vault Tec aesthetic bc they didn’t think general audiences would be able to get the idea of “it’s what people in the 50s thought the future would be like”

Though I guess in fo1/2 the 50s theme only really showed up in pre war artifacts and post apoc society itself having the same aesthetic wasn’t quite there until 3/NV

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Though I guess in fo1/2 the 50s theme only really showed up in pre war artifacts and post apoc society itself having the same aesthetic wasn’t quite there until 3/NV

Well, you have stuff like the Corvega cars, the art deco architecture and the various bits and pieces that weren't quite just modern architecture, but most of the interiors and exteriors were extremely banged up and also the result of starting the game making a generic post-apoc game and then veering midway through. But the fact that Fallout 3 recuperated a lot of that implies to me that they were already quite successful in establishing the aesthetic.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

OldMemes posted:

I’ve read it, it’s bad.

It’s a short read and the wiki has a link, I suggest everyone read it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kQ8i2FpRDk

Trailer drop.
Yuo Guai, Brotherhood, Ghouls, junk towns and lots of slow motion.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 2, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kQ8i2FpRDk

Trailer drop.
Yuo Guai, Brotherhood, Ghouls, junk towns and lots of slow motion.

Is 33 an unused vault number until now?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also getting some Wanamingo vibes from the big mouthed animal.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

OldMemes posted:

I haven't seen season 4 of Westworld yet, but Johnathan Nolan and Lisa Joy did a really good job with it,

uhhhhhhhhhh I have some bad news for you

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

FeculentWizardTits posted:

uhhhhhhhhhh I have some bad news for you

Westworld only had 1 season and a perfect ending, what are you talking about?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh man they got Michael Emerson in this, he's an excellent fit for Fallout's vibe

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
I already knew Walton Goggins was in this but I still squealed when I saw him.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 2, 2023

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

From the studio behind

THE BOYS

and

FREE 2-DAY SHIPPING*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bit of self promotion, who hasn't?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Arivia posted:

Is 33 an unused vault number until now?

Yeah, there's only like 40ish specific vaults that have shown up or been mentioned in the games, and they go up to at least the low three digits so there are plenty of vaults unaccounted for.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

Yeah, there's only like 40ish specific vaults that have shown up or been mentioned in the games, and they go up to at least the low three digits so there are plenty of vaults unaccounted for.

Right, but if it was a number that had previously gone unused or was only vaguely touched on, then that means they're at least trying to keep established Bethesda-era canon in mind for the series, which is a good thing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Arivia posted:

Right, but if it was a number that had previously gone unused or was only vaguely touched on, then that means they're at least trying to keep established Bethesda-era canon in mind for the series, which is a good thing.

They've mentioned they are trying to fit it into the current canon.

Vault 33 has been unused until now:

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_known_Vaults#Vaults_in_canonical_materials

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Megazver posted:

They've mentioned they are trying to fit it into the current canon.

Vault 33 has been unused until now:

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_known_Vaults#Vaults_in_canonical_materials

The trailer makes it seem much more like something on the East Coast with Brotherhood of Steel members running around in such big numbers and in T-45 Power Armor, and if the series is set in 2296, that's 15 years after New Vegas, is the new California Republic going to be a big part of the series? Seems weird so far.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Technically it's T60 armor, which is just T45 with extra stuff bolted onto it.

There's apparently some images of another vault (maybe the Cyclops overseer's vault?) that features an NCR flag in the corner.

The Brothethood isn't extinct in the west. The Mojave chapter got wrecked but they've been strong enough in California to launch an airship expedition to the Capitol Wasteland in Fallout 4 and they've got an internal affairs division called the Circle of Steel to monitor the various chapters.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 4, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
NCR was destroyed by the tunnelers

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

Technically it's T60 armor, which is just T45 with extra stuff bolted onto it.

There's apparently some images of another vault (maybe the Cyclops overseer's vault?) that features an NCR flag in the corner.

The Brothethood isn't extinct in the west. The Mojave chapter got wrecked but they've been strong enough in California to launch an airship expedition to the Capitol Wasteland in Fallout 4 and they've got an internal affairs division called the Circle of Steel to monitor the various chapters.

The expedition to DC happened in like the 2250s (and was on foot I think) and went more or less rogue not long after, drawing manpower from the locals. The Cali Brotherhood is definitely not gone but they were, by all accounts, very decisively defeated by thr NCR and reduced to cowering in their bunkers

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Yeah, out west the Brotherhood resoundingly lost the NCR-Brotherhood war, forcing them into retreat and hiding. The Prydwen was a creation by the Capital Wasteland Brotherhood, which... it's a bit murky on how much connection they have now to the West Coast Brotherhood. Because Maxson restored some of their old tenets and brought the Outcasts back in, but they're also conscripting from local populations. There's a terminal in the Prydwen by one of the endless collection questgivers which is meant to be a biography of Maxson which makes some bizarre claims--including that Maxson is considered the supreme leader of both coast chapters, got his facial scar at 13 fighting a deathclaw and was also killing raiders before he'd hit puberty, and that the east and west coast brotherhoods are in communication--but it sounds less like reality and more like fascist mythologizing.

Of course, it's Bethesda's writing, so it's anyone's guess if that stuff is meant to be taken at face value or not.

Ironslave fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 4, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DaysBefore posted:

The expedition to DC happened in like the 2250s (and was on foot I think) and went more or less rogue not long after, drawing manpower from the locals. The Cali Brotherhood is definitely not gone but they were, by all accounts, very decisively defeated by thr NCR and reduced to cowering in their bunkers

The Prydwen was launched recently when Maxson took over the east coast chapter following the death of Lyons and Sarah. Despite retreating to their bunkers in Cali the Brotherhood is still at war with NCR and they irradiated the gold reserve.

Its entirely possible that an overextended NCR stuck in the Mojave ground war could have lead to a Brotherhood resurgence where they can launch an airship fleet or occupy Navarro.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The West Coast having airships is only canon with Tactics which is a mess of semi canon events at best.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Gaius Marius posted:

The West Coast having airships is only canon with Tactics which is a mess of semi canon events at best.

Bawls is the drink of choice for the midwest and I will hear nothing to the contrary.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Ironslave posted:

Bawls is the drink of choice for the midwest and I will hear nothing to the contrary.

It's a good soda damnit!

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I didn't know in Fallout 4 it was the West Coast Brotherhood that launched the airship. Just worried that Amazon will ignore the fact that BoS in the West is supposed to be in major decline because they are 'the 'cool' factor of Fallout, the most recognizable part of the IP.

Of course the games can ignore the show as much as they want, but I wonder if Bethesda will want to, or just go with really bad written story for future installments.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
We'll be dead and buried before Bethesda makes another fallout game at this rate so it doesn't matter (and frankly I'm glad of it)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I didn't know in Fallout 4 it was the West Coast Brotherhood that launched the airship. Just worried that Amazon will ignore the fact that BoS in the West is supposed to be in major decline because they are 'the 'cool' factor of Fallout, the most recognizable part of the IP.

Of course the games can ignore the show as much as they want, but I wonder if Bethesda will want to, or just go with really bad written story for future installments.

The Prydwen was built at Adams Airforce Base on the East Coast, but captain Kells does mention the Brotherhood using airships in the past as an oblique reference to Fallout Tactics and those airships were sent from the west. The east coast BOS has been in contact with the Brotherhood back home and it is part of the reason that Arthur became elevated to the rank of Elder. They wanted a Maxson in charge.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Arc Hammer posted:

The Prydwen was built at Adams Airforce Base on the East Coast, but captain Kells does mention the Brotherhood using airships in the past as an oblique reference to Fallout Tactics and those airships were sent from the west. The east coast BOS has been in contact with the Brotherhood back home and it is part of the reason that Arthur became elevated to the rank of Elder. They wanted a Maxson in charge.

The source of this information is a propaganda puff piece biography being written by a questgiver on their terminal in their spare time, its accuracy is worth being skeptical of.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I would expect the Fallout show not to be set near where any of the games are, just to avoid being tied into any of them directly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Air Skwirl posted:

I would expect the Fallout show not to be set near where any of the games are, just to avoid being tied into any of them directly.

Vault 33 is in the Greater LA area, so the LA Boneyard is right there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah this is taking place inside NCR territory so I'm curious what they're doing with that. We've seen a NCR flag and I think there was a building with a NCR sign on it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Until the show I thought the canon was that the NCR basically expanded up and out but didn't really touch most of LA because it was basically just all rubble and not worth it

Not that I expect them to adhere that strongly to canon (I bet Walton Goggins is the only ghoul we see in the entire show lol) but after NV there is also an argument to be made that NCR being in control of an area can either mean 'running water and an active municipal government' or it can mean 'basically still a ruined hellhole but some guy from the military stops by every few months to make you pay taxes'

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Boneyard is home to the Angels Boneyard Medical University run by the Followers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Which was canonically destroyed, iirc