Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

the money savings are absolutely huge if you like warhammer, i blasted past break even point for mine within about half a bottle of resin on first getting it.
i think thats pretty worth it, cause yknow, money is sadly a thing

plus 3d sculpting is really fun, have a bad pic of my bugmen i use as a votann proxy

you do need space to print, but if you do the effort isn't that high. use cones to calibrate your settings then you just dunk prints in IPA and remove the supports, cure em in the sun or with a uv light, job done. there's a bunch of mess though thats true.

i have heard filament printing is a lot trickier which is why i don't have one yet

Filament printing can be a lot more difficult, yes. There are more potential filament types to use, and there are hundreds of variables that you can change. So it can be pretty complicated in some aspects to nail down some print issues. That being said, picking up an Elegoo Neptune 4 pro and using their standard out of the box settings you can print off terrain pieces really easily I would imagine, and then lean into some of the more difficult printing objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Communist Thoughts posted:

the money savings are absolutely huge if you like warhammer, i blasted past break even point for mine within about half a bottle of resin on first getting it.
i think thats pretty worth it, cause yknow, money is sadly a thing

plus 3d sculpting is really fun, have a bad pic of my bugmen i use as a votann proxy

you do need space to print, but if you do the effort isn't that high. use cones to calibrate your settings then you just dunk prints in IPA and remove the supports, cure em in the sun or with a uv light, job done. there's a bunch of mess though thats true.

i have heard filament printing is a lot trickier which is why i don't have one yet

Man, are those for sale anywhere? They look great.

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.

Eediot Jedi posted:

The plastic caveat means this isn't the greatest thread to ask in.

Resin is fine too.

What ive seen so far is cooler than I expected, but also more expensive.

Another guy asked a similar question In this or a similar thread and someone linked a neat squad of 30 bugs for $20, or maybe it was 20 for 30, but I couldn't find the sequence of posts.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

tacosupreme posted:

I'm interested in some well priced minis that are more competitively priced than GW but are more exciting to paint than spoons, anyone know a good source of Warhammer analogues that ship to me in plastic form?

Do you have a specific army you are interested in? WH40k proxies? WHFB, AoS? Are you playing games? If you are going to be playing I really recommend One Page Rules. Their rules and army books are free and they also have free paper proxy print offs for their armies as well so you can play around and see if it is for you.

If you are looking for more display style pieces there are a lot of interesting options. Help us narrow down what you are looking for and we can provide some good options I bet!

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Do you have a specific army you are interested in? WH40k proxies? WHFB, AoS? Are you playing games? If you are going to be playing I really recommend One Page Rules. Their rules and army books are free and they also have free paper proxy print offs for their armies as well so you can play around and see if it is for you.

If you are looking for more display style pieces there are a lot of interesting options. Help us narrow down what you are looking for and we can provide some good options I bet!

Guard tanks and soldiers (cadian style but I'm not that picky) greater chaos daemons & primarchs, Tau & some gunpla stuff, dragons.

One page rules sets look dope.

tacosupreme fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 21, 2024

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

tacosupreme posted:

Guard tanks and soldiers (cadian style but I'm not that picky) greater chaos daemons & primarchs, Tau & some gunpla stuff, dragons.

Lord of the Print on MMF has generally solid Dragons on sale, ive printed a few

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dragon Trappers Lodge also has some great dragons.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Not much time left, but Emang over on cults got served a big takedown notice so if you wanted to download his amazing sculpts you've got the rest of tonight.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

iirc they're rips of total warhammer models e: then cleaned up a bit

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah it was a miracle he was able to keep stuff up as long as he did and run a patreon.

Cults considered them fan art because he didn't charge, but I guess even that protection didn't stand up.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

drat that sucks. Was thinking of resubbing to download the soul grinder and get the scaling suggestions. Saw this too late.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Grab em quick

https://cults3d.com/en/users/EmanG/3d-models?fbclid=IwAR13OnBWVYPGx6Q2n7LGdTCaWMncMZnMjPiF7YIQVYcgYRgblhsLKTNCcXQ

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

I managed to download the Gitz & Gobboz collection, but in the process the rest have disappeared.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dammit. Out of the 128? designs there's like 9 left. Grabbed the cacodemon though. If anyone has the others and wants to share lemme know. Assuming they were free since the rest of the ones left are marked that way.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I've had all the supported Nurgle stuff, but managed to get the soul grinder, chaos gargant, and Radical Centrist on my phone this morning. Tried to get the rest of the demons but my poor phone couldn't handle it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got the Gitz and Gobbos, the Bad Ratz, and like 80% of the demon legions before I hit cults 100 downloads a day cap. I thought if they stayed up one more day I'd get the rest but the model I had open as my stopping point is now unavailable.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I didn't grab any in the end as I was at work, but I'm sure their out there.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

In this wayback machine capture of the page of demonic legions I had gone from the top left and got everything down to, but not including, POSSESSORS OF HIGHLY INFECTIOUS DISEASES, so that's the last 16 I was unable to grab (more than 20%, I just hadn't counted).

https://web.archive.org/web/20240123191911/https://cults3d.com/en/design-collections/EmanG/the-demon-legions

Wayback machine can view the download page but can't serve the files.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, I won a raffle and I have a small SainSmart CNC coming in next week. I'm wondering how well wood/plastic would do for terrain type stuff.

I'm just hoping it's at least moderately usable. I've heard... not great stuff about them.

No loss either way.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Neat. Take pics of how it goes, especially if it's a dumpster fire :v:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I was also thinking about Catan tiles. Simpler z shapes, at least.

I also have CNC plans for cocktail smokers.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

So, I won a raffle and I have a small SainSmart CNC coming in next week. I'm wondering how well wood/plastic would do for terrain type stuff.

I'm just hoping it's at least moderately usable. I've heard... not great stuff about them.

No loss either way.

I have had great success using my laser engraver machine to make custom movement trays and display boards. The devices also let you make customized paint holders and hobby stuff. They are great!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Is it the genmitsu? I'm mostly concerned about the quality of the motion systems. I'm going to be starting with wood and plastic, so the power of the spindle isn't a factor yet.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My machine is a glowforge, so like a laser engraver, I guess not a routing CNC machine. I guess the CNC term is accurate for both, but can be confusing. I looked up the Genmitus and it looks like you could still do a lot of cool terrain stuff with it and assuming it can cut out circles and whatnot you can do movement trays and whatnot pretty easily I bet. You can also probably make some really cool stuff with it, like objective markers with custom faction design on it, initiative markers or wound tokens or other play aides.

One thing you could do with it, assuming you had a 3d printer, like an FDM one, is that you could make a basic structure shape on the printer and use the router to make the wall panels and details, and just glue those parts on. A laser engraver struggles a little bit here because it is kind of difficult to make the three dimensional shapes, but with the CNC you should be good to go.

I bet you could even make some custom bits and panels for vehicles too. There is probably a million cool things to make with CNC. You could also use it to make really cool plinths for busts or larger scale miniatures, or decorative panels for display cabinets and whatnot. I am super excited for you!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tibalt posted:

Bottom line: Printing Cost $540.66, Retail Equivalent $0.00
I stopped tracking my time, or rather, I never started. 3D printing has been less time intensive than I anticipated, and was often for short bursts of activity. Calibrating the printer and resin was a surprisingly painless process, and I found the Cones of Calibration to be very intuitive. Finding good models that came pre-supported and looked the way I wanted was also really easy to find among the premium files as well. All of this combined meant that I didn't track my time spent, and I'd probably need a time sheet to do so.

Anyway, I spent a bunch more money on equipment! My spouse was really worried air quality since I spend so much time in my hobby room, and already thinks I'm too blasé about the glue fumes and paint particles. An Air Quality monitor and Resin Printer Enclosure resolved those concerns. Honestly, this is all probably overkill and you could certainly do all of this for less, but the enclosure made venting the printer outside a breeze and the monitor gave us peace of mind. Air quality is definitely something I would encourage other people to really think about and consider in their own workspace. I didn't have an air monitor yet so I can't give you a reading, but the initial setup print had a really strong smell and definitely seemed to irritate my nose and throat. Since setting up the enclosure and adding a fan to my hobby room, the AQI has stayed in the green throughout the printing, cleaning, and curing process, and I've had 0 issues with that resin smell.. All in all, I've spent about $680 on equipment so far, with another $54 on supplies and $28 on premium files.

Printing has been great, and I've already got a huge backlog of models to put together. Hopefully I'll have some pictures soon, but along with free files I bought a Mollog model and a Imperial Navy Breacher kill team. Mollog's Mob is $35, Grot Spider Riders are $38, and the Breacher kill team is $60. One problem - the box doesn't include enough models to field a full team if you don't take the C.A.T. or Geistskull, nor can you build all three types of Gunners. In total I printed out 14 models, which would have required me to buy two boxes for $120 instead. Games Workshop likes to pull this sort of stunt pretty often, and it can be deeply frustrating. Anyway, we'll see how I feel about them after I paint up my kill team, but I might build up a full Imperial Guard army in this style. The creator has a number of units in this style, and I think it would make a very cool and distinctive IG army.

Bottom line: Printing Cost $778.33, Retail Equivalent $187.20

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 28, 2024

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm trying out eSun PLA+ on my Elegoo Neptune Pro 4 for the first time - I'm just about to run out of the Elegoo-branded PLA I've used before and finally got it tuned right, and so since I know a bunch of you goons use my new combo, can you please advise what settings you use?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Southern Heel posted:

I'm trying out eSun PLA+ on my Elegoo Neptune Pro 4 for the first time - I'm just about to run out of the Elegoo-branded PLA I've used before and finally got it tuned right, and so since I know a bunch of you goons use my new combo, can you please advise what settings you use?

I had to up my nozzle temp by 15º, get the nozzle closer to the plate when leveling, and set my speed to 150mm/s from 200mm/s. However, I am still in the "I have no idea what I am doing" stage, but that worked for me after having serious adhesion issues when I went from Elegoo PLA to Sunlu PLA+

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Friendship ended with Siraya Fast Tough Grey. Now Phrozen Aqua Grey 8K is my best friend.

(Pending further tests, but so far it seems real nice for printing very small tabletop stuff).

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Lumpy posted:

I had to up my nozzle temp by 15º, get the nozzle closer to the plate when leveling, and set my speed to 150mm/s from 200mm/s. However, I am still in the "I have no idea what I am doing" stage, but that worked for me after having serious adhesion issues when I went from Elegoo PLA to Sunlu PLA+

Thank you - I've actually just used the same settings and though the first print was a bit ropey, the remainder have come out OK? Not quite as smooth though so I'll try a lower speed.

One thing I have noticed and I don't know if this is related - is that while there's no obvious elephants foot going on, parts which should fit together are needing alot of filing and trimming that didn't before. Odd!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Southern Heel posted:

Thank you - I've actually just used the same settings and though the first print was a bit ropey, the remainder have come out OK? Not quite as smooth though so I'll try a lower speed.

One thing I have noticed and I don't know if this is related - is that while there's no obvious elephants foot going on, parts which should fit together are needing alot of filing and trimming that didn't before. Odd!

I definitely notice more... texture? when using PLA+. I'll definitely be switching back to regular old PLA after this batch runs out. Then again, maybe PLA+ has some benefit I'm not seeing because I'm not doing something right.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Lumpy posted:

I definitely notice more... texture? when using PLA+. I'll definitely be switching back to regular old PLA after this batch runs out. Then again, maybe PLA+ has some benefit I'm not seeing because I'm not doing something right.

It's been a good long while since I did any FDM printing, but IIRC, PLA+ is literally just "PLA with some other poo poo added into it, and no we're not going to tell you what it is". To the best of my recollection I don't think PLA+ has any added benefit over regular PLA, except maybe you can print it a bit hotter. But again, it's been a while since I printed anything that wasn't done on a resin printer.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I hear 3D printers are one of those things that periodically go on huge discounts - is there anywhere that compares or aggregates those I could be checking for good deals?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spectralent posted:

I hear 3D printers are one of those things that periodically go on huge discounts - is there anywhere that compares or aggregates those I could be checking for good deals?

They do go on sale frequently. yes, and there are often new models coming out that cause the older ones to be priced very well. What are you looking to print? What type of printer interests you?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's been a good long while since I did any FDM printing, but IIRC, PLA+ is literally just "PLA with some other poo poo added into it, and no we're not going to tell you what it is". To the best of my recollection I don't think PLA+ has any added benefit over regular PLA, except maybe you can print it a bit hotter. But again, it's been a while since I printed anything that wasn't done on a resin printer.

You are correct, it is just "stuff" that is added to PLA to make it PLA+. In the miniature space the difference between PLA and PLA+ probably provides little benefit. The stuff that is added is somewhat similar to the components of PETG, so PLA+ will have more thermal resistance than regular PLA and better tensile strength as well. Both of which are nice improvements, but not really needed unless the part is functional or expected to endure those stresses. But since it is (relatively) easy to make PLA+ there are a lot of instances where what you want may only be available in it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Pla+ is less prone to warping in the sun or a hot car. Tiny bit stronger but the heat is the big one

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah it’s not bad but I’m definitely switching back to elegoo brand pla.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Lumpy posted:

When I switched from the PLA I was using to a new PLA+, it took me a while to dial in the right settings. I had a ton of stringing and generally lovely looking prints at first, but after playing around with some different temps and retraction settings, I got nice clean prints again.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Do we have any rules about asking where I might be able to find bootlegged Games workshop stl files? Ignore me if so.

I'm gonna start playing a campaign of Mordheim with some friends and I only need to print off a couple of old Warhammer Fantasy Orc archers and I really don't feel like spending a fortune on a huge box of them. I'm not even sure that those old Orc Archers I'm thinking of are even being sold anywhere (I'm talking about the old fantasy stuff and not the new Age of Sigmar models).

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Don’t ask that question. There are many modellers doing old Hammer style figures that don’t infringe on copyright. If you google hard enough, I’m sure you can find the illegal upload somewhere.

Edit: briteMinis , for example

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Do we have any rules about asking where I might be able to find bootlegged Games workshop stl files? Ignore me if so.

I'm gonna start playing a campaign of Mordheim with some friends and I only need to print off a couple of old Warhammer Fantasy Orc archers and I really don't feel like spending a fortune on a huge box of them. I'm not even sure that those old Orc Archers I'm thinking of are even being sold anywhere (I'm talking about the old fantasy stuff and not the new Age of Sigmar models).

Fantasy stuff is going to be harder to dig up, but most of this stuff has migrated to discords, Reddit etc.

For the 40k stuff at least there's a lot of community terminology so might be able to find something.

My recommendation though is to dig through myminifactory and see what you can find for ranked stuff. I know Highland miniatures makes a ton of fantasy stuff, but I don't know if they've made orcs. Goblins for sure