Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'm going to wait until after the game to decide what impact the officials had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah. It just looks bad already. They put their most "team nfl obviously wants to win consistently getting the calls" ref in there.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

49ers win: obviously best case scenario, owns

Chiefs win: sucks because 49ers lost but a whole bunch of fragile conservative dudes will be mad Taylor Swift exists

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
The NFL can still do tie-ins if the 49ers win. Taylor Swift's favorite number is famously 13, after all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jonnydel commentates that Aiyuk play where he turned into a pass defender. He doesn't comment on Purdy's accuracy but points out the play design is intended to take advantage of an error that he previously discussed regarding the Lion's coverage of exactly that route.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBRxEli4MJM&t=207s
Cued to 3:27.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Leperflesh posted:

Jonnydel commentates that Aiyuk play where he turned into a pass defender. He doesn't comment on Purdy's accuracy but points out the play design is intended to take advantage of an error that he previously discussed regarding the Lion's coverage of exactly that route.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBRxEli4MJM&t=207s
Cued to 3:27.

Yeah, it's a designed shot play; throwing it and trusting Aiyuk was what Purdy was supposed to do. Defense wins it both in the secondary and on the line. It was a bad throw, but it's because the d-lineman is right in Purdy's face. Same basic breakdown that OSullivan had, only Jonny knows the offense much better and doesn't have to meander for 5 minutes to get there.

I wouldn't put that on Purdy still, and I wouldn't say either Yolo or I was completely correct, but were both correct about aspects of it.

Edit: I still don't know what Aiyuk is running on that play. I *think* he's supposed to be doing a stutter go like the rams version, but he slants in like he's running sluggo at the same time. I think he might have had a blank or something.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 31, 2024

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
JFA's breakdown of how Detroit just kept attacking Burks in base personnel made me nervous

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

It makes sense, Burks was signed as a special teams ace. You got to think Reid will do the same thing.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Did we ever get an explanation for the flag on the miracle Aiyuk catch? I know Greg Olsen said live that it was DPI they didn’t bother calling because the catch was made (and there’s very clear contact while the ball is in the air), but everyone seems to treat it as if it were an interception worthy throw.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jonny says it's "arguable" PI, I tend to agree - I could see it being flagged and then flag picked up even if Aiyuk doesn't make the catch. They collide a bit but it's not flagrant.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It did look like he pushed off him a smidge but whatever

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Regular season DPI, but I guess not in the playoffs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4R1ZgWMPpM

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Figured it was a pick up after discussion. Good pick up too, they both played the ball.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sherman is the best lmao

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

holefoods posted:

they’re all from kent, enumclaw and snohomish and think they’re rural americans. I hate it here sometimes.

All the same people that had issues with Bill Nye raising the 12th Man flag earlier this year

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Sherman's a loyal Seahawks vet sometimes and a Niners devotee and Seahawks hater others. He lives to stir poo poo and honestly, I can only stan.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

shirts and skins posted:

Sherman's a loyal Seahawks vet sometimes and a Niners devotee and Seahawks hater others. He lives to stir poo poo and honestly, I can only stan.

He's only really a Seahawks hater when he's called a traitor for playing for the niners.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My sense is Sherman was treated better by the 49ers so views the organization and things surrounding it more fondly than his time with Seattle. Even though his success was with the Seahawks. It's easy to think of the player as the stats and accomplishments rather than as a person with feelings.

This actually ties into a question I have about CMC. How was he with Carolina? I know his stats were good, but did he seem happy there? I didn't see much of him other than highlights so have no clue about the ancillary stuff. He seems very happy now, though.

Maybe part of it could be due to getting drafted vs making a choice of where to play.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mustached Demon posted:

He's only really a Seahawks hater when he's called a traitor for playing for the niners.

Imagine calling one of your best ever players a traitor for playing for another team after he got you your ring. Niners fans don't call Montana a traitor for going to the Chiefs, or Rice for playing on the Seahawks. Shameful fan behavior.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I'm certain you can find some who do. Twitter is a great way to find loudmouths who say dumb poo poo.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Skip directly asked Sherm the other day if he favored the Niners over the Seahawks and Sherm said no he loved his LoB teams and Niners teams and roots for both franchises

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz
Sherm is difficult but good for him. Own it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In this NFL where players almost always play for more than one team, it's petty as hell to hate on a guy who did legendary things for your team just because he played somewhere else. It's the nature of the business. Getting franchise tagged to prevent you from earning what you're worth on the free agency market sucks, actually. Many elite players have to hit that market to make their money in their prime years, and many non-elite players have to hit that market to keep a job at all.

If you want to talk about traitors, look at the team owners who abandoned a city because they wouldn't pay for a multi-billion dollar stadium for their for-profit entertainment company. Most recently Dean Spanos, Stan Kroenke, and Mark Davis. Those guys betrayed their fans. gently caress those guys.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I kinda have to laugh at "ungrateful fans" because dude was incredibly well compensated for doing a great job, so it's not like it was charity. I maybe it's just my philosophy on fandom, but I am not grateful to any player, just respect their hard work.

In Sherman's case, he finished his career at a rival team then came back to the Seattle suburbs and had a freakout episode, so that's how some people (incorrectly) chose to remember his time here. Of course he went to that team because they were a good fit and Seattle cut him so...

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Please use his full name, 49ers Legend Richard Kevin Sherman, when you speak of him.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Hell yes

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1752757338824458290

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
He seemed like one of the best options, so :letsgo:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Congrats Seahawks fans, I hate it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Booooooo

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I just love watching Sherm clown on Skip Bayless on a regular basis

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
NFC West has a head coach 44 years old (Shanahan), a head coach 41 years old (Gannon), a head coach 38 years old (McVay), and now a head coach 36 years old (MacDonald). Just 159 years combined between the four of them, almost assuredly the youngest set of coaches ever in the NFL. Pretty exciting if all 4 stay in the division and last to Carroll's current age (72) as coaches.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Coldforge posted:

Please use his full name, 49ers Legend Richard Kevin Sherman, when you speak of him.

Only if you start using Mr Rice's full name, Seahawks Legend Jerry Lee Rice, with honorary mention to Seahawks notable Trent Farris Dilfer.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nervous posted:

Only if you start using Mr Rice's full name, Seahawks Legend Jerry Lee Rice, with honorary mention to Seahawks notable Trent Farris Dilfer.

Our team is so stacked, Terrell Owens had to be stashed away on the practice squad!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Know who was a true follower of the NFC West? Mike Iupati. Shame his knees did not age well.

go vandals

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Nervous posted:

I have zero problems with doing this, because it's funny as hell.

Seahawks Legend Jerry Lee Rice :hmmyes:

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Mustached Demon posted:

Know who was a true follower of the NFC West? Mike Iupati. Shame his knees did not age well.

go vandals

I was extremely drunk and stole a cigarette from him at a party at UofI when I was like 18. Sorry, Mike.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

holefoods posted:

I was extremely drunk and stole a cigarette from him at a party at UofI when I was like 18. Sorry, Mike.

That's the Moscow I remember.

I've just gotten a few fist bumps at the corner club over the years.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

:hawksin:

Legit excited for this hire and he is only 36!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mustached Demon posted:

go vandals

That was the most :goonsay: Niners draft ever.* Two first round picks and both spent on the O-Line. And drat if it didn't pay off.

* Late 00s TFF was, IIRC, obsessed with the idea that drafting linemen with the top picks was Smart Football.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That was the most :goonsay: Niners draft ever.* Two first round picks and both spent on the O-Line. And drat if it didn't pay off.

* Late 00s TFF was, IIRC, obsessed with the idea that drafting linemen with the top picks was Smart Football.

It is.