Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Literally A Person posted:

Love sparkle blue tom just hanging out trying not to look out of place.

13" ebay find - same production run just different color and hardware lol - it sounds rad as heck as I just don't like Tama's 12" toms

I didn't realize I was building an accidentally patriotic-looking kit tho lol :barf:

(Ed: the original 12" Tom that came with that kit is actually in the first picture, sitting in front of the vdrum's kick drum lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Duke Chin posted:

13" ebay find - same production run just different color and hardware lol - it sounds rad as heck as I just don't like Tama's 12" toms

I didn't realize I was building an accidentally patriotic-looking kit tho lol :barf:

(Ed: the original 12" Tom that came with that kit is actually in the first picture, sitting in front of the vdrum's kick drum lol)

I love it man. Makes it look like you took your time putting a kit together you really like. Is that your playing out kit?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Finally getting my office/music hole up and running.

I need some sound dampening in here but it's been a low priority due to mostly farting around with synths and a DAW lately.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My kit is crammed into the basement with a bunch of fish tanks for company. Bonus cat tax:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
God my e-kit is supposed to show up today and I am loving PUMPED for a hybrid kit. PUMPED

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV8ofb2Ed2c

I need a split-tone drum pad. Drumeo is too expensive for me. Has anyone had any experience with split-tone pads?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Been playing my cyborg drum kit for a bit now and I God damned love it. Had a real hard time trying to integrate the bits I wanted but finally landed on a setup I really like.

I feel like I am drumming in the future.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
im currently in some real obsession with 60s pop/rock drummers and old country drumming , and some of the little details I think get lost in modern drumming?

like, the kick-snare interplay (?) is never that complex as hip hop beats these days, but those guys would do such interesting emphasis on the hi-hate part, or syncopate in such a way....its cool man

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Ended up breaking down and rebuilding my CYBORG DRUM KIT like 85 times because I ended up hating how it was set up every time. Kept getting knee pain and poo poo from trying to get my legs in wierd spots and poo poo. Idk. But I think NOW I have finally settled into what seems like it's going to be my :airquote:longterm:airquote: setup:

Have to say the dtx drums are p sweet. Like, I know it's not the 80's anymore and e-drums aren't absolute poo poo anymore but I really didn't expect to enjoy the playing experience so much. Great feeling on the mesh pad and cymbal and having the kick tower on my left foot really gives me a nice variety of sounds over there while still using a kick I am super familiar with. Good little computer unit that does a lot of stuff I personally will never use but is still cool. Let's me customize kits on the fly p fast and I can use my own samples and even tune/pitch shift them and poo poo. Loving this.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Nice! Seems like a long way to have to move your foot back (i.e. towards your body) to get from the acoustic hats to the electric kick but if you're having fun that's cool. Just looks like the middle pedal on the left could shunt forwards like 4 inches without having to move anything else and be more playable.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

sebzilla posted:

Nice! Seems like a long way to have to move your foot back (i.e. towards your body) to get from the acoustic hats to the electric kick but if you're having fun that's cool. Just looks like the middle pedal on the left could shunt forwards like 4 inches without having to move anything else and be more playable.

I do play heel up with my left so the kick pedal is decently comfortable there. You are right though, if I could that sucker would be slid up about 3" but because of the interaction between the kick pad and my hi hat stand I just can't quite.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ah yep, now I see the hi-hat leg is in the way.

Time to get a 2-leg stand!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

sebzilla posted:

Ah yep, now I see the hi-hat leg is in the way.

Time to get a 2-leg stand!

:aaaaa:

God drat it and I have money in the drum fund too.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think my biggest ergonomic breakthrough was when I started sitting up real nice and high and had the drums meet me. I have so much more foot speed and control this way.

what actually got me thinking about it was watching a video of little seven-year old Yoyoka playing a Zeppelin cover and barely reaching the pedals, but she could put down those doubles effortlessly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91pz1E8pAOY

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AndrewP posted:

I think my biggest ergonomic breakthrough was when I started sitting up real nice and high and had the drums meet me. I have so much more foot speed and control this way.

what actually got me thinking about it was watching a video of little seven-year old Yoyoka playing a Zeppelin cover and barely reaching the pedals, but she could put down those doubles effortlessly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91pz1E8pAOY

Height is what made it so I didn't hurt after a couple hours of playing. I like lording over my kit.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

20 Blunts posted:

im currently in some real obsession with 60s pop/rock drummers and old country drumming , and some of the little details I think get lost in modern drumming?

Have you heard of the Bakersfield Sound? Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, and more recently Dwight Yoakam.

Buck Owens is considered the pioneer of this form of "non-Nashville" country music from the mid to late 60s. Buck used the same backing band on the road and in studio so their sound was tight. Willie Cantu was the drummer for Buck and was a big contributor to the sound. He plays more rock/heavy jazz and uses accents instead of just boom-tap-boom-tap

Here they are playing live for a TV taping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg6x8fG2aIc

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm having achilles surgery on my right foot in a few days and won't be able to walk on it for roughly 10 weeks after that. I am dreading the thought of not being able to play drums during that time. Is it crazy to be considering playing kick drum with my left foot instead so I can still get behind the kit? I've been planning to learn double kick, but I'm not sure if this will help or hurt that goal.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

That's how most people build up their non dominant leg. However I would ask your Dr because you are very likely to put additional weight on your right leg since your left is weaker, and that could effect your healing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks, I'll have to chat with the doc at the post-surgery checkup about that. I suppose worst case scenario is I finally pick up a copy of Stick Control and go to town on a practice pad while I'm laid up.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Left footed bass drum technique is critical for drumming while driving

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

timp posted:

Left footed bass drum technique is critical for drumming while driving

I don't think my clutch would enjoy that.

I've been trying to get better at tuning my drums, bought all new heads and new wires for my snare (Tama superstar) and I just could. not. get it to sound right. All it has is a whole bunch of ringing and absolutely no snare action. I followed all the youtube tutorials, tried many times to loosen everything and tighten it back up quite systematically, and I was getting extremely frustrated at it. Took it to a drummer friend so he could give it a shot, and we figured out that the (only) local music store sold me a Remo pinstripe clear for the reso-side, which from what I understand is a double-ply head meant for the batter side on toms. No wonder my snares weren't snaring. I'm going back today for a new proper reso head, hopefully that'll do the trick.

I do have a question though; in my quest for tuning I got the lugs quite tight, not at their max but much tighter than I probably should have. Is it possible that I could have destroyed the heads doing so? how would I know?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Wait...a music shop put a pinstripe on the resonator side? I would not go back there ever again. Get a Remo Ambassador clear head or similar.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Wait...a music shop put a pinstripe on the resonator side? I would not go back there ever again. Get a Remo Ambassador clear head or similar.

Yeah that's exactly what I bought during lunch!

They're the only music store in a 100km radius. I'm just glad they have heads in stock, and their prices are similar to Amazon so I'm happy with supporting local business. But yeah they don't know much about drums. At least now I know what happens when you use the wrong type head!

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Colonel J posted:

I do have a question though; in my quest for tuning I got the lugs quite tight, not at their max but much tighter than I probably should have. Is it possible that I could have destroyed the heads doing so? how would I know?

No, you’d have to tighten them with a power drill and even then. I think that Aussie YouTuber made a video about “how tight can I tighten a head?” And I wanna say the hardware bent/broke before the head did. Those heads are meant to be stretched.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I've heard of the infamous split head from over tuning but never have I seen this phenomenon in meat space.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

One trick I've seen a lot lately to take some of the extraneous ring out of your toms without using moon gels is dropping some cotton balls into your drums. Matt Garstka does it at least.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AndrewP posted:

One trick I've seen a lot lately to take some of the extraneous ring out of your toms without using moon gels is dropping some cotton balls into your drums. Matt Garstka does it at least.

Gonna need some clear shells to really take it to the next level.

On cyborg drums again; the trick was putting my e-drum hi hat pedal next to my right foot. Which incidentally gives me an extra instrument to play over there which is pretty juicy. Having new noises all over the place is making my brain do that thing where I become cross-eyed and maybe enter THE SHADOW ZONE for a minute while playing.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

AndrewP posted:

And if all you have is tape, never use duct tape for muffling. Gaffers tape is what you want. The glue on duct tape will stick to your heads for life.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I like where this is going

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYbAryrYsO0

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The wireless technology is amazing. The sounds are... okay. I'm surprised that we're still at a point where nothing has matched the quality of a Pearl Mimic Pro for sound quality, which has Steven Slate Drums built in.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

One on hand I love wireless eDrums, on the other I'm recalling all the arguing/yelling/screaming/tantrums thrown by guitar players when they discuss wired vs wireless.

For me personally, I'm not happy until hitting a cymbal feels like hitting a cymbal.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Literally A Person posted:

I've heard of the infamous split head from over tuning but never have I seen this phenomenon in meat space.

I've had snare side drum heads pull out of the counter ring a couple times before. Clearly was a defective/manufacturing thing but it can happen.

Anymore the first thing that fails (besides drumsticks) is snare wires popping off way too soon. I don't even play with that tight of a gate.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

I watched this last night - just absolute lol on the machine gunning, cymbal sounds and output options on a $9000+ piece of gear. It's like they sub licensed the mesh heads and then also all the worst parts of old Roland internals/modeling

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Worth noting that Roland actually bought DW.

Also you are buying a $5000 Collector's Series DW kit when you get this. Not that it isn't too expensive but they're not just the "shells" that Roland sells for the VAD series.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The 5000 series pedal and hi-hat is at least $800US.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

AndrewP posted:

Worth noting that Roland actually bought DW.

Huh I did not know that. Welp that explains that.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

While expensive as hell, the pricing probably does make a little more sense than the $8k VAD706 which does NOT come with a full DW Collector's acoustic shell pack.

Overall I'm not clear who the target market is for these things. Someone who wants a new DW kit but also wants to dabble in edrums? A professional musician who doesn't feel like micing acoustic drums every night but also doesn't feel like dealing with wires?

(the answer is actually probably mostly churches with money to burn)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I see it as a concept kit. I have a Pearl ePro, which lots of churches used, but nothing really came out of it other than the evolution of the RedBox unit. I paid $2000 used and it that includes a pretty good sized rack (lol)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ha, I forgot about the ePro. Pearl also had the eMerge kit that was expensive and probably a better physical kit than module. Unfortunately it didn’t work with anything else, which is a shame because Pearl released what’s still probably the best module on the market with the Mimic Pro. In conclusion, Pearl’s edrum offerings are a land of contrasts

Also it just dawned on me that the DW kit doesn’t have a module, you have to supply the beefy PC yourself. So yeah, that is a ridiculous price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I've had to Frankenstein it a bit, but I guess maybe that's good it can expand. I've never tried it with normal heads but I bet it sounds like crap. I don't think I would record anything other than a demo on these. They are ok jamming or playing to a small crowd. They are bulky and feature limited but they look nice. Much better if you just bypass the RedBox sounds and go direct in to Garage Band. Part of me wants to keep them and really just experiment by adding pads and pedals where I can. That rack is pretty solid and has some real estate.