Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I really enjoyed Doomtown up through I think it was the Mouth of Hell expansion which unfortunately did that thing in CCGs where it introduced a lot of good cards - the foremost being the Deed called The Lode which in story was the literal motherlode of ghost rock, the demonic super fuel that powers all the fancy tech, and in-game just made more and more ghost rock and Influence so you really wanted one but Mouth of Hell itself was in short supply because the game took off so everybody wanted it. The ending of the big story which featured the demon Knicknevin who wanted to turn Gomorrah into his own private fiefdom invading the town was great and I believe Sweetrock won because Sweetrock won a lot. They even had a deck with no Dudes that was winning all the things for a while which was mechanically neat but also kind of boring.

And so I don't gush too much there was also some really dumb stuff like you know the leader of the Blackjacks, Black Jack? Turns out he was actually Black and this is very much not made clear in the art of his first iterations so he's... Black Jack. Wow. He was always too expensive to actually use much because 3 ghost rock a turn for a Dude is pretty expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Judgy Fucker posted:

The original Doomtown CCG

Thanks for the write up. Weird west is something that is something I've always wanted to get into, yikes-y material aside. I keep peeking at this game, wondering if I'd care for it. I didn't notice this game had two discard piles, like my beloved Shadowfist, although it's the reverse? Discarded cards come back and aced cards stay dead.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Some deeds, however, have upkeep--notice Lord Grimley's Manor doesn't have the plus sign, it costs ghost rock to keep in play each round. You'll also notice the blue poker chip on two of the deeds: those are control points, which is the primary resource players are fighting over in the game.

The fact that they didn't put a minus sign on these blows my mind. I know it was 19-dickety-8 but "2" and "+2" mean the same thing to the uninitiated.

Judgy Fucker posted:

There's also alternate formats you can play; my friend who still plays and I have "bicycle decks" (as in the brand of playing cards), where we can only have one card of each suit + value, functionally making a playable, traditional deck of cards. It's also a fantastic multiplayer game, requiring no extra or special rules.

This sounds rad as all get out. I guess it cuts down on Cheatin! though.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

I really enjoyed Doomtown up through I think it was the Mouth of Hell expansion which unfortunately did that thing in CCGs where it introduced a lot of good cards - the foremost being the Deed called The Lode which in story was the literal motherlode of ghost rock, the demonic super fuel that powers all the fancy tech, and in-game just made more and more ghost rock and Influence so you really wanted one but Mouth of Hell itself was in short supply because the game took off so everybody wanted it. The ending of the big story which featured the demon Knicknevin who wanted to turn Gomorrah into his own private fiefdom invading the town was great and I believe Sweetrock won because Sweetrock won a lot. They even had a deck with no Dudes that was winning all the things for a while which was mechanically neat but also kind of boring.

The secondary market* for Doomtown cards has largely ossified, you can find some of the more powerful cards on eBay or other niche CCG stores like Category One Games occasionally, but when they're available they're gonna be expensive--$10-$50 range. To this day Mouth of Hell cards are basically double other sets because of the limited print run.

*I guess it's the primary market actually, this poo poo hasn't been sold retail in nearly a quarter century.

Dawgstar posted:

And so I don't gush too much there was also some really dumb stuff like you know the leader of the Blackjacks, Black Jack? Turns out he was actually Black and this is very much not made clear in the art of his first iterations so he's... Black Jack. Wow. He was always too expensive to actually use much because 3 ghost rock a turn for a Dude is pretty expensive.

Yeah...Black Jack is Black! Brilliant. You're right about being really expensive, but of all the fatty leader dudes for each faction Black Jack exp. 2 was far and way the best, being able to cancel a cheatin'! card means you can shoot with total confidence.

Magnetic North posted:

This sounds rad as all get out. I guess it cuts down on Cheatin! though.

Yeah, we only play our bicycle decks against our other bicycle decks, as with the possible exception of the Sweetrock outfit I posted above bicycle decks just aren't going to be strong and consistent enough to reasonably win against "standard" decks.

Cheatin'! cards themselves are a bit of a double-edged sword, as while they're very potent when your opponent cheats, they're dead cards at all other times. Hand clog is very much a problem to deal with in Doomtown, as you can only discard one card (in addition to any events) when reconciling during nightfall. For that reason most decks run 5 or 6 cheatin'! cards. To be honest players get away with cheatin'! more often than not.

This card is a great example of how deckbuilding in Doomtown works. On its face, it's really weak--one ghost rock is marginal. Going to devote a card slot for this, really? However, you can always play it during noon, meaning you'll get to draw another card during nightfall, and it doesn't ace itself, so it stays in your deck. It's a great card when your shooting matrix is straight flush-based; all action cards are clubs, and very few go to boot hill. All the other suits--spades, hearts, and diamonds--tend to leave your deck, so you're kinda trying to thin it out to make drawing straight flushes more likely.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 1, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Judgy Fucker posted:

This card is a great example of how deckbuilding in Doomtown works. On its face, it's really weak--one ghost rock is marginal. Going to devote a card slot for this, really? However, you can always play it during noon, meaning you'll get to draw another card during nightfall, and it doesn't ace itself, so it stays in your deck. It's a great card when your shooting matrix is straight flush-based; all action cards are clubs, and very few go to boot hill. All the other suits--spades, hearts, and diamonds--tend to leave your deck, so you're kinda trying to thin it out to make drawing straight flushes more likely.

Yeah, building specifically for poker hands was another fun touch. I had a Law Dogs deck that normally went - and drew - full houses, I believe.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man Doomtown sounds pretty fun, definitely the kind of game I'd at least like to try some day

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I don't know that I'd be able to stop myself from putting on a heavy drawl while playing it though. :v:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

I don't know that I'd be able to stop myself from putting on a heavy drawl while playing it though. :v:

The rule book is written in a drawl. I’ve tried finding images of it online to no avail, I’ll snap a pic tonight.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

it's impossible to read the mechanics without a drawl in your head, I firmly believe this

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Doomtown Rulebook, in all it's drawl-y glory:

The left page on this last pic gives a good diagram of what a two-player game looks like. "Town square" is an abstraction representing a space that's adjacent to all in-town locations and plays a key role in how movin' works.

If anyone interested in actually playing this is ever passing through Oklahoma City for some reason, hit me up and we can get together :)

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
wizkids made a poker based ccg and it sucked poo poo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Judgy Fucker posted:

The left page on this last pic gives a good diagram of what a two-player game looks like. "Town square" is an abstraction representing a space that's adjacent to all in-town locations and plays a key role in how movin' works.

Yeah honestly Doomtown was probably the best of 'you're building a town/province/the oceans/whatever' CCG.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Thanks for the big Doomtown post! I added it to the OP.

My VTES group got a new player last night! He almost won the game piloting my Malkavian stealth-politics deck. He had to go through quite a gauntlet too, since everyone other than me tested a different part of his deck. (I was overmatched from the start with the Malk politics deck as my predator and the rock to my scissors.) After me, he had to deal with a Toreador combat/power bleed deck upstream of him, then an absolutely psychotic Massassi combat deck (Potence, Celerity, Auspex, and Quietus with a built-in action to enter combat) upstream once the Toreador were ousted. Meanwhile, downstream, he had an Animalism wall deck to try to sneak past. He managed to oust me while shorthanded, fend off the combat decks upstream while he waited for what he needed to get through the wall deck. Once it was down to just him and Massassi he finally got ousted. He just ran out of places to hide from the combat monster. Still, it was a good showing for a brand new player.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah honestly Doomtown was probably the best of 'you're building a town/province/the oceans/whatever' CCG.

What about Sim City?

:suicide:

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Railing Kill posted:

What about Sim City?

That game had such amazing promos.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Railing Kill posted:

What about Sim City?

Back in high school our card game club decided to do a giant game where every player played a different CCG and we tried to integrate the rules as best we could (I think it was inspired by an Inquest article). It went pretty terribly, obviously, but at the end of the day the club president/Rage player was loudly insisting that we keep track of the board state so we could continue next time, so the Illuminati player traded me (Sim City) the New York card via Illuminati rules and we declared that all the buildings in New York would be worth at least $250 so I won via Sim City rules and the long nightmare finally ended.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Ultimate Chaos! I didn't have that issue, but I did dig up the Dead Man's Hand instalment where they used it:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The one card game I never understood was VS. I'd seen some cards in like, Inquest or something, but never had any idea how it worked beyond "superheroes and/or villains are involved"

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Man I was deep in the local VS scene. I still have all of my cards. My favorite jank was a Kang-bang deck that could grow a single character to out-pump Avenger decks, though it was easy to counter. My tournament deck was a Galactus deck where every card employed some sort of stall tactic until Big G arrived.

I loved that game.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Ultimate Chaos! I didn't have that issue, but I did dig up the Dead Man's Hand instalment where they used it:

I think the solution is
Play Aisling Leprechaun tapping Olympia National Forest, WA
React and play Save the Whales to give it +10 Power
Play Cinder Cloud to destroy Frodo, tap Kakita Shijin to gain 5 Life as Frodo has 5 Personal Honour, then take 1 damage from Frodos owner, life total now 6.
React with Abysmal Daughter to put 1 Damage on the Death Star
Play Psionic Blast to kill Red 5, life total now 4.
Play Direct Sunlight to kill Sheldon Lord of the Clog
React and put the Ring of the Void into play
Bow Koichi to draw a card, Mishra’s Groundbreaker
Cast Mishra’s Groundbreaker on the Death Star, it dies to having 3 Damage Tokens on it. Alternatively I think you could shenanigans instants like Direct Sunlight, Psionic Blast and Cinder Cloud to put the damage on City Square then transfer it to the Death Star that way. Exact wording is tricky in games like this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

This is just season 1 yugioh.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

HidaO-Win posted:

I think the solution is
Play Aisling Leprechaun tapping Olympia National Forest, WA
React and play Save the Whales to give it +10 Power
Play Cinder Cloud to destroy Frodo, tap Kakita Shijin to gain 5 Life as Frodo has 5 Personal Honour, then take 1 damage from Frodos owner, life total now 6.
Play Psionic Blast to kill Red 5, life total now 4.
Play Direct Sunlight to kill Sheldon Lord of the Clog
React and put the Ring of the Void into play
Bow Koichi to draw a card, Mishra’s Groundbreaker
Cast Mishra’s Groundbreaker on the Death Star, it dies to having 3 Damage Tokens on it. Alternatively I think you could shenanigans instants like Direct Sunlight, Psionic Blast and Cinder Cloud to put the damage on City Square then transfer it to the Death Star that way. Exact wording is tricky in games like this.

edit: loving hell

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

The one card game I never understood was VS. I'd seen some cards in like, Inquest or something, but never had any idea how it worked beyond "superheroes and/or villains are involved"

In the VS 2PCG reboot, which is still ongoing for reasons I can't fathom, I had an Aliens deck where the best leader was Deadpool. It was bizarre. They just released an X-Files set in 2023. How???

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

LifeLynx posted:

In the VS 2PCG reboot, which is still ongoing for reasons I can't fathom, I had an Aliens deck where the best leader was Deadpool. It was bizarre. They just released an X-Files set in 2023. How???

The people I know who play it buy everything. You can do a fair amount with a small, dedicated fan base and prudent financials.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I really like the idea of the vs stuff, but I've never gotten to play it

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

edit: loving hell

I’m pretty chuffed with how close I got with that one.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

LifeLynx posted:

Somehow an X-Files set isn't the weirdest thing? Last year they released an All Elite Wrestling set.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
That’s a shame because the xfiles ccg was awesome through the ultra rares sucked to get.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

thatguyclint posted:

Somehow an X-Files set isn't the weirdest thing? Last year they released an All Elite Wrestling set.

wait what

they always have vs 2pcg marvel cards at ollie's

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Dana Scully vs Jon Moxley in a texas death match, next sunday at revolution

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
She's got a gun, this isn't even close.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

man this poo poo is low rent, some of the MCU sets just look photoshopped, shocked disney is cool with it but it seems like you just get these online????

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

2024 Anniversary box of the Final Fantasy TCG should drop today, right? Having trouble finding any reviews. Maybe the search algorithm is just shoving me into SEO content, though. Anyone actually open one yet?

Edit: found some nerds on YouTube to learn the full contents. Lots of great deck staples, plus the Locke/Celes sheet was the cherry on top that made me go ahead and place an order.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 17, 2024

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Space Fish posted:

2024 Anniversary box of the Final Fantasy TCG should drop today, right? Having trouble finding any reviews. Maybe the search algorithm is just shoving me into SEO content, though. Anyone actually open one yet?

Edit: found some nerds on YouTube to learn the full contents. Lots of great deck staples, plus the Locke/Celes sheet was the cherry on top that made me go ahead and place an order.

called the only lgs near me that sells the game to see if they got any

“uhhh they haven’t set a date for the ff magic set yet”

it would be cool if square sent out posters or something for stores to put up

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is there a card list for what's in the box, and would it be a good entry point for someone who had never played the game before?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Randalor posted:

Is there a card list for what's in the box, and would it be a good entry point for someone who had never played the game before?

The 2022 anniversary box was my entry point and it was great for that, the 2024 box has a pre-constructed deck and plenty of useful cards. Most of the starter decks have a decent power level if you're interested.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, the 2024 box is absurd value and it would be a great entry point.

Reminds me that I need to buy mine at my LCS.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I'm still waiting for mine from my LGS. Got those three older starter pairs + the 2024 box coming in the mail any day now. I was hoping to get it by this weekend so I can sit down and brew up a couple decks. :ohdear:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Star Wars Unlimited prompts the most comprehensive BGG review I think I’ve ever read.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3255670/unlimited-review-greatness-come-price

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Playing any card face down as a land has to be one of my least favorite mechanics. Lots of players learning a game with it hate it too, because they don't want to lose a card forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

LifeLynx posted:

Playing any card face down as a land has to be one of my least favorite mechanics. Lots of players learning a game with it hate it too, because they don't want to lose a card forever.

I mean, newbie TCG players love Lorcana, so I don’t know if that holds.