Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Doctor Hospital posted:

Unicorn Overlord: Food Of Lordly Caliber

It's Vanillaware so you know there's gonna be some extremely lovingly drawn feasts in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3op74J2DL9o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I bought Colony Ship since it's on sale and played for a few hours. It's very similar to Age of Decadence. Honestly the production value is still pretty low but in a way it is kind of refreshing since there isn't tons of environmental story telling that's prevalent nowadays to make you look at everything very closely, you can just get on with the story and side quests. Exploration is also made pretty quick with fast travel spot all over the place and half the time the quest just teleport you straight to where you need to go to the point sometimes it plays like a visual novel. There are many new systems like stealth, gadgets, companion, and even more weapon types and attack mode than AoD.

So far I prefer Age of Decadence's world building. It's fun to read how post-apocalyptic Roman make sense of their lost legacy...though I am still pretty early so maybe some weird stuff will start appearing in Colony Ship as well.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

pedro0930 posted:

I bought Colony Ship since it's on sale

Was it cheap?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Item Getter posted:

Was it cheap?

It's still $30 with the sale.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

someone think of a unicorn overlord thread title, i need as many people as possible to play this

just "UNICORN OVERLORD" imo

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

just "UNICORN OVERLORD" imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4054838 unicorn overlord thread

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thinking of Xeno 2, recent and future releases like Granblue, Unicorn Overlord and the Fate game, I was randomly wondering if any of the gacha games being remade into- I guess full games? I don't know what to call them- have any non-humanoid characters in them? Like centaurs or driders or stuff like that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The field skills of Xenoblade 2 are of course terrible. Where you have to shuffle around the dozens of blades into only eight slots for the sake of passing a skill check. There's an optional area in the snowy region with three checks in a row that demand different blades.This leads to more menu management in a game full of it.

But what games have done the same concept right? Where you recruit loads of unique characters and their skills collectively add up? I haven't played any Suikoden, but I hear the party members you don't battle with get the exciting job of sweeping the floor or taking out the garbage. Maybe Metal Gear Solid V, but more anime?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Thinking of Xeno 2, recent and future releases like Granblue, Unicorn Overlord and the Fate game, I was randomly wondering if any of the gacha games being remade into- I guess full games? I don't know what to call them- have any non-humanoid characters in them? Like centaurs or driders or stuff like that.
mean, most gacha games have non-humanoids somewhere? just cause of how many characters they have. whether theyll be playable in their various spinoffs is another think.

but also granblue relink isnt really a remake, its just a spinoff.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

NewMars posted:

Unicorn Overlord: The wait is ogre (battle)

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Endorph posted:

mean, most gacha games have non-humanoids somewhere? just cause of how many characters they have. whether theyll be playable in their various spinoffs is another think.

but also granblue relink isnt really a remake, its just a spinoff.

XB 2 has that rabbit healer guy.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm not gonna play the unicorn demo because it'll just make the wait harder

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It carries over at least but I get the sentiment.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i am playing final fantasy 2 and it's kinda wild how many towns get trashed over the course of the game, some multiple times!

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Looper posted:

i am playing final fantasy 2 and it's kinda wild how many towns get trashed over the course of the game, some multiple times!

I got this on my computer because I was impatient and now I can’t justify buying it again on the switch where I might actually play it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ff2 is flawed but has a lot of cool stuff. keywords? cool. guest characters? also cool. plot that goes some wild places? nice.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Endorph posted:

someone think of a unicorn overlord thread title, i need as many people as possible to play this

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > RPG Thread: I, for one, welcome our new Unicorn Overlord

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Most importantly, FF2 launched the award winning SaGa franchise.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

TurnipFritter posted:

Most importantly, FF2 launched the award winning SaGa franchise.

I’m still hoping the switch holds out long enough to get every SaGa port; I think it’s like 1 or 2 away.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i get why people can be harsh on ff2 and 3 but they're kind of the definition of games you have to look at more like weird historical artifacts. their design can be completely nonsensical but that's sort of just the vibe of the era, of course the franchise that's defined itself on being an entirely different game every new release had two experimental sequels on famicom that were entirely different in ways that barely worked sometimes

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

TheMightyBoops posted:

I’m still hoping the switch holds out long enough to get every SaGa port; I think it’s like 1 or 2 away.

Still waiting on remasters of Frontier 2 (coming later this year, probably) and Unlimited SaGa for original games, and the other remasters and remakes (SaGa 1 Wonderswan Color, Romancing SaGa Wonderswan Color, SaGa 2 DS, and SaGa 3 DS, though if we're being honest the Wonderswan versions aren't really different enough from the originals to care). Anyway please be sure to preorder Emerald Beyond, coming this April.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I feel like Unlimited Saga would do so much better in this era with some adjustments too. I hope they do it eventually.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Rascyc posted:

I feel like Unlimited Saga would do so much better in this era with some adjustments too. I hope they do it eventually.

My dream would be an Unlimited SaGa 2 that builds on what worked in that game, but I genuinely think that Unlimited SaGa was a fundamentally pretty cool and fun game that was held back by terrible ui, so even just a remaster that polishes that side of thing (and fixes stuff like shield tiles being bugged) would be really cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I think my biggest 'issue' with SaGa games is that they are cool and experimental but frequently don't get to iterate on that experimental aspects to improve on them, so you get something that is cool but flawed that ends up by the wayside. This was the worst in the PS2 era I think.

It's part of why I'm excited for Emerald, because it appears to be clearly iterating on Scarlet (which itself was already great)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
And loveliest of them all was the Unicorn Overlord

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

ff2 is flawed but has a lot of cool stuff. keywords? cool. guest characters? also cool. plot that goes some wild places? nice.

yeah! the keyword mechanic is really neat and helps the protagonists feel more actively involved. and after josef i was expecting more guest characters to exit the party via death so i was very pleasantly surprised to see leila miraculously survive and spend the rest of the game hanging out with a princess lol. kinda feels like a prototype for faris and lenna

the stat mechanics might be underbaked and snowball quickly, and it's definitely tedious having to grind up every new spell into usability, but at the same time it's pretty badass that square went in such a different direction and I'm enjoying seeing the origin of more series staples after 1 was so d&d

honestly the worst thing is the sheer volume of empty featureless rooms that only serve to force you into more encounters, but at least i can turn those off

also the world map music is off the hook

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

though if we're being honest the Wonderswan versions aren't really different enough from the originals to care

Fully disagree about WSC Saga 1. It was a next-gen remake of that game. Although porting it to modern systems might prove challenging because WS games run at 75hz.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Colonel posted:

i get why people can be harsh on ff2 and 3 but they're kind of the definition of games you have to look at more like weird historical artifacts. their design can be completely nonsensical but that's sort of just the vibe of the era, of course the franchise that's defined itself on being an entirely different game every new release had two experimental sequels on famicom that were entirely different in ways that barely worked sometimes

IMO FF3 is quite solid it mostly suffers from misplaced expectations from 1) being a focused traditional dungeon crawler in a series that's become known for other stuff and 2) FF5 having a similar but way more in depth job system.

Viewed as it's own thing, the game's mostly great (the marathon of a final dungeon aside).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FF3 is perfect nowadays since the pixel remasters rescores the music and allows saving anywhere, negating the notorious last level.

Also you can now cheat in the Steam version.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

within 2 minutes of Unicorn Overlord I knew I was gonna buy it. Vanillaware Ogre Battle is literally my dream game, I love this. Might have been a mistake setting it to Expert for the first battle though, needed the old man super unit to protect the other 2 units especially because the default formation they give you with Lex/Chloe at the start sort of sucks. I expect it'll be more manageable once I get boost the unit cap to 3 characters each though.

Anyone thinking about getting the Switch version can rest easy, looks and runs flawlessly. So glad Vanillaware somehow survived this long to make their biggest game yet, hope it does really well. Though I expect the story will not be anywhere near as good as OB64 or Knight of Lodis as it doesnt have quite the level of political intrigue/satanic rites as those from what I gather.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

FF3 is perfect nowadays since the pixel remasters rescores the music and allows saving anywhere, negating the notorious last level.

The one time I played through NES FF3, I had to give up because I unknowingly passed the point-of-no-return then ran out of spells and consumables I needed to survive. Someday, I will finish it.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
PC-only folks who are missing Ogre Battle style stuff mixed in with a bit of Fire Emblem should check out Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga. It has the same party building as Ogre Battle, is turned based similar to FE, and has a giant warrior woman that stomps the baddies.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's very interesting. i will definitely make sure to check it out and not just load up unicorn overlord on a switch emulator

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i think i actually need to rest before evergrace instead of after because this game is hurting my brain

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Xenoblade 2: The game spends hours drilling into you (haphazardly) how combos and chain attack bursts work, then shoves you into an awful dungeon where all of that is irrelevant. It's home to a puzzle boss who infintely respawns unless you kill every clone while weakened to a chain attack. It speaks to how unpleasant this game can be at its worst that a guy yelling "Rogue" constantly is more enraging than winning a boss fight only to lose in the following cutscene for the fifth time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Xenoblade 2: The game spends hours drilling into you (haphazardly) how combos and chain attack bursts work, then shoves you into an awful dungeon where all of that is irrelevant. It's home to a puzzle boss who infintely respawns unless you kill every clone while weakened to a chain attack. It speaks to how unpleasant this game can be at its worst that a guy yelling "Rogue" constantly is more enraging than winning a boss fight only to lose in the following cutscene for the fifth time.

Xenoblade games after the first one have a peculiar and honestly hosed up way of introducing and maintaining mechanics. XCX doesn't even give you the chief gimmick, a mech, unless you grind out areas to claim hours upon hours in. XC3 introduced new gameplay bits/mechanics like every 5 hours. I didn't even finish XC3 but it was mainly due to combat feeling like I was sleepwalking through tons of numbers on the screen and the areas you explore being so dire compared to the previous games.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Quester Osaka's out in early access already!

It uh, doesn't have english support yet, so this probably doesn't help most of us. But still. :v:

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The issue with this fight is that your AOE arts are like an issue and the solution to this fight and the game doesn’t explore how they work at all besides telling you if an art is AOE.

I think it’s the worst boss in the game.

Edit: The area where that dungeon is one of the coolest in the game. XB games are at their best when the world is a Yes album cover.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ok yeah i started up the unicorn overlord demo on yuzu and it runs without a hitch. got through the first couple battles without any crashes or performance issues at all, no visible graphical problems either. if you had any interest then this option seems to work