Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Oh dear, I did not realize Cheryl Hines is married to RFK Jr.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I am gravely disappointed in at least 2 of those people.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wow, that is some steep drop off in name quality after carolla and Schneider, and they were already not holding up the tent by themselves

Glad to see Bobby Lee is landing in roughly the part of the comedy world he deserves, though, dude has sucked out loud for like 25 years

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Schneider stopped being funny a long time ago, if he ever was. Once he went all in on political stuff and being a Trump lover he went from being unfunny to aggressively unfunny.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Glad to see Bobby Lee is landing in roughly the part of the comedy world he deserves, though, dude has sucked out loud for like 25 years

Maybe Ari Shaffir will beat him half to death a few more times.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Schneider stopped being funny a long time ago, if he ever was. Once he went all in on political stuff and being a Trump lover he went from being unfunny to aggressively unfunny.

How in the world can you say such a thing about the comedy genius behind the makin’ copies guy

You just don’t understand the brilliance of the copies guy

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

rotinaj posted:

How in the world can you say such a thing about the comedy genius behind the makin’ copies guy

You just don’t understand the brilliance of the copies guy

Jim Breuer is rolling in the same poo poo pile, but at least he does a funny Joe Pesci impression.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DangerDummy! posted:

Jim Breuer is rolling in the same poo poo pile, but at least he does a funny Joe Pesci impression.

You dare besmirch the name of Goat Boy?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

rotinaj posted:

You dare besmirch the name of Goat Boy?

Hey, you're over here talking about how brilliant Richard the Copy Guy is and ignoring Sensitive Naked Man or Tiny Elvis. You don't have to bring up Citizen Kane every time someone talks about Orson Welles.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DangerDummy! posted:

Hey, you're over here talking about how brilliant Richard the Copy Guy is and ignoring Sensitive Naked Man or Tiny Elvis. You don't have to bring up Citizen Kane every time someone talks about Orson Welles.

That’s why I bring up the frozen peas ad whenever someone talks about Orson Welles

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm a Paul Masson guy, but we're basically on the same page.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

On the bright side, if you ever wanted to steer away anybody from seeking fame in Hollywood, you could show them this poster to show what happens when you've spent so much of your life trying to make it big and then have to take jobs like this to keep food on the table.

This is just horribly depressing.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Do you think any of them are getting paid? Isn't this just a fundraiser for Kennedy?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
150 smackers a ticket. Somebody’s getting paid.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

rotinaj posted:

Wow, that is some steep drop off in name quality after carolla and Schneider, and they were already not holding up the tent by themselves

Bobby Lee is an infamously bad Doughboys guest, and it’s a chill show but he insisted on being unpleasant.

When I rewatched Stallone’s Dredd the sets were surprisingly good, Cursed Earth was interesting, & the robots were fun, but holy cow can’t call it enjoyable as a whole with Schneider dragging it down.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I remember back in the early days of podcasting whenever Bobby Lee was a guest on a show he'd always tell the same story about sleeping with a 13 year old child at a Tijuana brothel.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Bobby Lee is an infamously bad Doughboys guest, and it’s a chill show but he insisted on being unpleasant.

Didn't he spend half the episode berating Mitch for not leveraging his fame into getting laid?

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

bartok posted:

I remember back in the early days of podcasting whenever Bobby Lee was a guest on a show he'd always tell the same story about sleeping with a 13 year old child at a Tijuana brothel.

:stare:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

When I rewatched Stallone’s Dredd the sets were surprisingly good, Cursed Earth was interesting, & the robots were fun, but holy cow can’t call it enjoyable as a whole with Schneider dragging it down.

That Dredd movie has some great stuff (especially the music), but is really undone by Schneider's crap, and Stallone refusing to wear the helmet.

bartok
May 10, 2006

yeah :( ... When I first started listening to podcast I started by searching for ones from comedians I thought were funny on O & A and Howard Stern so it's sadly not the grossest or most illegal thing I've heard on one of those kind of shows where it's just a couple of comedians shooting the poo poo but goddamned if it wasn't Bobby Lee's go to anecdote be it on Jim Jeffries podcast or even early episodes of The Joe Rogan Experience. Would not be shocked if you could find an old episode Adam Carolla or even Loveline where Bobby Lee tells this story.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bartok posted:

yeah :( ... When I first started listening to podcast I started by searching for ones from comedians I thought were funny on O & A and Howard Stern so it's sadly not the grossest or most illegal thing I've heard on one of those kind of shows where it's just a couple of comedians shooting the poo poo but goddamned if it wasn't Bobby Lee's go to anecdote be it on Jim Jeffries podcast or even early episodes of The Joe Rogan Experience. Would not be shocked if you could find an old episode Adam Carolla or even Loveline where Bobby Lee tells this story.

I saw a YouTube short recently that suggested he'd been walking the story back a bit recently because it was hurting him professionally and people had been giving him poo poo for telling this story so gleefully

(I am not at all defending him, guy's claim to fame is being on diet SNL, followed by appearing in a Joe Rogan video about how awful Mencia us)

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 22, 2024

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

DangerDummy! posted:

Didn't he spend half the episode berating Mitch for not leveraging his fame into getting laid?

Lol probably, it’s interesting how the hosts don’t bring him up as an example of a bad guest like they do with Phil Rosenthal or Rob Lowe, guessing because he’s part of the LA comedy scene and they don’t want a feud?

Red posted:

That Dredd movie has some great stuff (especially the music), but is really undone by Schneider's crap, and Stallone refusing to wear the helmet.

Yeah, plus while the plot seems passable at first even with a charitable viewing attitude the ending fight in the Statue of Liberty is a confusing mess. I remember it has other sloppy moments like Dredd reprimanding other judges for seeking cover from gunfire from a high rise, as you see, that ammo isn’t effective at such range… but we just saw other characters getting shot down from the towers?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I saw a YouTube short recently that suggested he'd been walking the story back a bit recently because it was hurting him professionally and people had been giving him poo poo for telling this story so gleefully

(I am not at all defending him, guy's claim to fame is being on diet SNL, followed by appearing in a Joe Rogan video about how awful Mencia us)

Diet SNL is a good way to describe MadTV, when I think of sketches I liked it’s always Kenny Rogers or Randy Newman and I realize wait I’m not a fan of the show I’m a fan of Will Sasso.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Diet SNL is a good way to describe MadTV, when I think of sketches I liked it’s always Kenny Rogers or Randy Newman and I realize wait I’m not a fan of the show I’m a fan of Will Sasso.

Are you still a fan after the George Carlin AI poo poo? Because I'm certainly not

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The what :dogstare:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Medullah posted:

Are you still a fan after the George Carlin AI poo poo? Because I'm certainly not

I’ll concede while that was human written as a stunt, it was a dumb idea & they should have known better. I’m listening for Will reading his childhood diary as Stone Cold & Lance Reddick calling in to play a supporting character, or Will as Adam Driver reading ads for fictional hard seltzer then Adam shows up at a live show to be part of the gag. Less listening for Will’s kinda offputting cohost theorizing about AI advances & already getting a cease and desist from Tom Brady for doing the same thing with a fake AI standup Brady.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 22, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

They released a "new" George Carlin AI special that was supposedly "Written and performed by AI" but

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’ll concede while that was human written as a stunt, it was a dumb idea & they should have known better.

They came out later and admitted it was written by a human and just the George acting and voice was AI, but still disgusting.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

that is utterly obscene in every sense of the word

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It didn't even sound like Carlin.

Also MadTV was funnier than SNL.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol probably, it’s interesting how the hosts don’t bring him up as an example of a bad guest like they do with Phil Rosenthal or Rob Lowe, guessing because he’s part of the LA comedy scene and they don’t want a feud?

I was about to ask about this. They got yelled at so much because of that old Rob Lowe sex tape while this apparently common knowledge? Also I don’t even think I get what the Rosenthal controversy was

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

They released a "new" George Carlin AI special that was supposedly "Written and performed by AI" but

They came out later and admitted it was written by a human and just the George acting and voice was AI, but still disgusting.

Hasn’t everything done so far as part of that podcast been extremely dumb and poorly thought out

I would not expect a comedian whose heyday was the 90s to be on the cutting edge of tech humor but god drat

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I love Will Sasso and will not stand for any disrespect on his name. He's just a good guy being goofy.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

DangerDummy! posted:

Maybe Ari Shaffir will beat him half to death a few more times.

lol

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

I was about to ask about this. They got yelled at so much because of that old Rob Lowe sex tape while this apparently common knowledge? Also I don’t even think I get what the Rosenthal controversy was

Boring podcast drama info dump:

One of the hosts, Nick Wiger, also hosts a podcast about bad video games. He and his cohosts thought it would be a funny bit to have a Native comedian on to talk about famed Atari rape simulator Custer's Revenge for their Thanksgiving show. The guy, Joey Clift, thought that was a real hosed up thing to do, so he accepted the booking and confronted them on air about.

He explained to them why it was a lovely thing to do, and they were very contrite and admitted it was a crass, thoughtless thing to do. One of the hosts, Matt, was friends with Joey, and he was so upset that he hurt the guy's feelings that he broke down in tears. Everyone apologized, dude accepted the apology, everyone moved on. Joey even went back on the podcast a few months later.

Joey was less than gracious about the whole deal (for the record I thought he did the right thing) then went on a media victory lap about the whole incident which seemed like maybe a dickish thing to do, but whatever.

When Rob Lowe was booked on Doughboys he went on a Twitter fit about it, saying they were happy to book a statutory rapist but couldn't be bothered to book a Native guest. Except that wasn't really accurate, and Doughboys in general has one of the most diverse guest rosters of any podcast hosted by two bearded white guys. The whole thing was silly for the most part (aside from the Custer's Revenge thing, cuz yikes...), and Joey Clift kinda started the whole "controversy" by bitching on twitter. It was also part of a one-two punch because they also booked Chris "Gadsden flag" Pratt on their show as well, and people got real sore about that one, too.

I really should've been working in the 10 minutes it took to write that, so thank you for letting me bore you.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Good write up, was glad they didn’t get too much grief about Chris Pratt as in context he was Mitch’s costar on a big production and Mitch was proud of being able to have an A list star.

Yeah it felt like while the Joey Clift episode was a bad idea they handled it as well as they could by still releasing it (and I think they made sure he heard the edit first and was ok with it) even though it made them sound awful. Although like you said he could probably have handled it better, maybe by mentioning his concerns ahead of time, rather than opting for an on air confrontation, and then being surprised other podcasts weren’t rushing to book him as they may have been concerned about getting a similar surprise & needing to apologize.

Anyhoo, back to Adam chat. Anyone ever get on air? For a hobo power segment a buddy had worked in a sewage plant, so I kept calling on my cell when they asked for stories on Twitter, and eventually got through & chatted briefly with Donny before putting my friend on air and his account of a clogged pipe unexpectedly becoming unclogged as an unpleasant surprise was well received.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I got on the after disaster once when Anderson was doing that. I asked how they (I don’t remember who did it with him, was it Mike?) got into radio and they immediately hung up on me and made fun of me because my voice cracked, then they realized it was a legitimate question and gave some backstory

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Speaking of Anderson, is anyone else's brains having trouble processing that he's a realtor now? 10 years ago if you'd asked me what he'd be doing that would be pretty far down the list

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
I got on Loveline sometime in the mid to late 90s.

I made up my question to talk to the band.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

e: weird delayed double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
I only started listening to Adam-era Loveline recently. I'm not really surprised that 20+ years later Adam would go to the right, but then I noticed Dr Drew is now on rumble:

Drew was lamenting to the twitter gimmick guy about doctors being "silenced" over covid. It's a shame, because as of 2001 he was constantly warning about the deadly consequences of medical misinformation. In a 1989 episode he called in to argue with sex cultist Wilbur Tracey for telling people that men couldn't get HIV from women. It went on for nearly a half hour before Tracey stormed out and Drew demanded the host dedicate the next episode to quashing that myth.

It's just a bummer. Maybe certain celebs get it into their head that since they became famous at one point while offending old people, then the angry letters must be correlated with their best years. But now it's no longer offensive to half the country to defend premarital sex and birth control, and having a show that is deemed "safe" is the equivalent of getting stale, old, out of touch etc

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 23, 2024