Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-mugKDQDlg

NCR flag sighted. Brotherhood is still at war with the Republic.

Edit: and Shady Sands might be a smoking crater now? Or that "Shady Sands Public Library" is just a passing reference.

even if this show isn't especially good you can tell walton goggins is going to be the highlight

like just taking the half-finished concepts from F4 of 'vault salesman who survived the blast' and 'ghoul mayor who loves drugs' and making that a single person is such a good idea it makes me wonder what other Bethesda characters you can mix and match to get a few fully realized characters lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

At least it looks good. Wish it were closer to the original game's style than the Bethesda visuals but I knew that wasn't going to happen. And prominent Walton Goggins means it should at least be watchable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have they said anything about who is doing the music for the show? I doubt Mark Morgan would be pegged but it would be nice if they brought in Inon Zur to continue making angry piano music.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
prestige tv is more often disappointing than good but that trailer really does look great. if nothing else, seeing the fallout world rendered in something other than gamebyro will be cool.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah it looks fun. Old lady laughing at vault dwellers was good, Walton Goggins ftw. Guess Shady Sands is a crater now lol, can't wait to not read some very long posts about that

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think that's just an easter egg. If they stuck to the source material (admittedly, big if) Shady Sands is nowhere near a major city that would form that kind of backdrop. It's far from LA, which seems to be where most/all the show is taking place.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

crepeface posted:

prestige tv is more often disappointing than good but that trailer really does look great. if nothing else, seeing the fallout world rendered in something other than gamebyro will be cool.

They've done a great job nailing the vibe, now the big question is whether they've got a good story to go along with it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Might actually go for the Brotherhood one.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1765790089148273149

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Fallout: Alternate Head Included

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I think that's just an easter egg. If they stuck to the source material (admittedly, big if) Shady Sands is nowhere near a major city that would form that kind of backdrop. It's far from LA, which seems to be where most/all the show is taking place.

agree its likely an easter egg but i predict a lot of soft retconning of both the BoS and NCR to make the plot work (since the BoS is clearly the looming military threat F4 version not the cowering in bunkers F2 version)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Fallout 1 map also doesn't entirely make sense with the later games, admittedly. Like Necropolis is supposed to be Bakersfield but it's in the completely wrong spot. Shady Sands should be just a bit into Nevada, northwest of Pahrump. Vault 15 is almost directly north of Vegas, which is on the map but not as a real location.

Vault 13 is Mt Whitney. Vegas is that unmarked urban area on the east edge. Raiders should be Pahrump-ish. Shady Sands would be somewhere a bit west of Armagosa Valley, which is just completely empty desert.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

this is random but you know what always bugged me about the F1 map is you can go to the coast and they even modeled the beach/water but there's no actual locations there, its just empty patches of unique coast you can walk around for no reason

more cut content I assume

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You know I don't think I ever tried going to the coast. They should've at least put some unique random encounters

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

IIRC if you go to Vegas (or the other unmarked cities) you also get urban random maps instead of the usual.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
If you've never done it before, I highly recommend replaying F1 with Jinxed, maxed out luck, and Unarmed as your combat skill. It's a fun change of pace from the typical speech/sneak/sniper the games typically nudge you into.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

whydirt posted:

If you've never done it before, I highly recommend replaying F1 with Jinxed, maxed out luck, and Unarmed as your combat skill. It's a fun change of pace from the typical speech/sneak/sniper the games typically nudge you into.

loving weird, I just started reading Ambrose Bierce and did not expect to see him in AV form

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Degenerates like you belong in a cuck chair.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Updog Scully posted:

Degenerates like you belong in a cuck chair.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes me wish I was cucked

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
ED-E comes to a stop and Ulysses' voice carries through their comms:

"You, The Divide, Your Wife. The Cuck... and The Bull."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
[Barter 17/50] Raise your price or you're... cuck out of luck.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hungry? Thirsty? Horny? The Atomic Wrangler has you covered.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

https://collider.com/fallout-tv-show-cast-creators/

A fan of the series huh? Maybe he knows what's up and this is going to be highly respectful of the source material!

Jonathan Nolan posted:

It started for me with Fallout 3, which devoured about a year of my life.

Oh...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fallout 3 was a p good game at the time

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eh. Lot of people came in at 3 and then played the originals. My first Fallout was Tactics, then I found 1 and 2 at some mall used game store and understood why people bitched about Tactics (though they are mostly wrong and Tactics owns).

3 is the worst Fallout game I have played but it's not bad. It's just kinda lame.

2 > New Vegas > 1 > Tactics > 4 > 3 if anyone cares, which you shouldn't. I also don't have a strong opinion on the top half of the list, could talk me into reshuffling those three.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 7, 2024

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I loved 3 when I played it, and then New Vegas came out and I haven't thought nearly as fondly of it since.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

quote:

Graham is a citizen of Canada, I’m a dual citizen of the U.S. and New Zealand, and we often talk about how those are countries that are celebrated as these wonderful, peaceful utopias. And the reality is that not everywhere is like those countries. What would it mean if those countries were to open their borders and let everyone in and everyone could have a better life? They would change, right?

This is a way worse quote than the bit about liking Fallout 3, c'mon.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Lmfao oh poo poo

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6NC0rKLZuU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

:stare:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The only good Fallout is the demo of F1 that came in gaming magazines where you only get part of Junktown. The series went downhill after that.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
anyway here's why letting immigrants in will transform first world countries into rubble-strewn mad max hellholes

:thumbsup:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Fallout 3 is worse than uncontrolled immigration tho

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Nobody Interesting posted:

Fallout 3 is worse than uncontrolled immigration tho

if we all united against a common enemy like fallout 3 it would be good, right?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

if we all united against a common enemy like fallout 3 it would be good, right?

:hmmyes:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

First of all lol at the idea that Canada is a peaceful country and second of all are we still talking about Fallout or conspiracy theories about evil immigrants?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Tired: fallout is an allegory for cuckoldry
Wired: fallout is an allegory for the dangers of immigration

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

steinrokkan posted:

Tired: fallout is an allegory for cuckoldry
Wired: fallout is an allegory for the dangers of immigration

House built a big beautiful* wall around New Vegas

*it's ugly as poo poo

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

House built a big beautiful* wall around New Vegas

*it's ugly as poo poo

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/56257 :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

I like this mod for the imagery of ads for the luxury of Vegas being advertised on the literal barrier to entry.