Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look those are just the guy's name in quenya, it's not like he invented the language or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Data Graham posted:

Funny story about that, :eng101:

He used Fingolfin as the name of the goblin in early drafts of The Hobbit—recycled from much earlier Lost Tales stuff—and then changed it to Golfimbul, retaining the golf pun which he had already made and wanted to keep

lol finegolfing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know how controversial this is but the first half of the TT and RoTK are, to me, so much more interesting and engaging than the Frodo/Sam stuff. I guess the rules of publishing and editing were different back then, but I can't believe that his publisher let him publish the stories separately instead of alternating between one and the other chapter-by-chapter.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

zoux posted:

I don't know how controversial this is but the first half of the TT and RoTK are, to me, so much more interesting and engaging than the Frodo/Sam stuff. I guess the rules of publishing and editing were different back then, but I can't believe that his publisher let him publish the stories separately instead of alternating between one and the other chapter-by-chapter.

my GF always skips the Frodo/Sam stuff, she thinks it's mega boring lol

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
When I was a kid I loved all of fellowship and I pretty much just skipped books 3/5 because I was only really engaged in the Frodo/Sam story. I've since flipped and now find the Mordor chapters a bit of a slog, especially in the two towers.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I always remember them as a slog and think about skipping but I always end up engaged and enjoying then anyway.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The only chapter I ever skipped as a kid was the Tom Bombadil one.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

webmeister posted:

The only chapter I ever skipped as a kid was the Tom Bombadil one.
did you try flushing it down the toilet? because I hear he comes back even from that

head58
Apr 1, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

did you try flushing it down the toilet? because I hear he comes back even from that

His poop is brown and his pee is yellow.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

GodFish posted:

I always remember them as a slog and think about skipping but I always end up engaged and enjoying then anyway.
Same. I just started a re read of the books and when Gandalf is giving frodo the ring history and mentions Mordor, I caught myself thinking "hell ya those chapters"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That whole sequence is probably my most rewatched clip of the movie. That and the Council of Elrond. Anything involving Gandalf owns, he’s the best part of LotR and every one of its adaptations.

The Sam and Frodo stuff suffers because whenever Gandalf isn’t in the page the reader is thinking “where is Gandalf? I wonder what Gandalf is doing right now?”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

zoux posted:

Anything involving Gandalf owns, he’s the best part of LotR and every one of its adaptations.

Agreed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo8apVpcrIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STnUggab0ic

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When I was a kid I was so hyped up when Sam beats shelob by getting her to slam down on Sting I cried with joy. I told my mom and she made fun of me lol

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Any time Gandalf isn't on the page, the other characters should be saying, "Tell me, where is Gandalf? For I much desire to speak with him."

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
One, Gandalf needs to be whiter, angrier, and have access to a magic horse. Two, whenever Gandalf’s not on the page, all the other characters should be asking 'Where’s Gandalf?'

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

grey > white

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ChubbyChecker posted:

grey > white

Agreed. White cloth may dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bongo Bill posted:

Any time Gandalf isn't on the page, the other characters should be saying, "Tell me, where is Gandalf? For I much desire to speak with him."

It's a shame this is too long for a thread title

That said the slog through mordor is the heart and soul of the trilogy

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's a shame this is too long for a thread title

That said the slog through mordor is the heart and soul of the trilogy

that's just the plot

the real heart and soul of the trilogy is the great game about bilbo's spoons

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

The true heart and soul is Bilbo burning everyone as he fucks off out of the Shire

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's definitely true that the whole first act of the story up to Rivendell really shows the effects of having gone through so many painful revisions and evolutions from the "Hobbit sequel" it started as. All whimsical sidequests and songs and droll hobbit repartee

From about Bree on is when he'd finally more or less figured out what the Ringwraiths were and where they hell they were going on the quest and it all turned into something very different from the twee fairytale adventure he set out to write. It's such a weird and idiosyncratic style of narrative, full of inexplicable fossils of the earlier drafts, that I'm sometimes stunned that the tone shift between the first stage of the journey and the later stuff seems to hook more people than it repels.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Data Graham posted:

It's definitely true that the whole first act of the story up to Rivendell really shows the effects of having gone through so many painful revisions and evolutions from the "Hobbit sequel" it started as. All whimsical sidequests and songs and droll hobbit repartee

From about Bree on is when he'd finally more or less figured out what the Ringwraiths were and where they hell they were going on the quest and it all turned into something very different from the twee fairytale adventure he set out to write. It's such a weird and idiosyncratic style of narrative, full of inexplicable fossils of the earlier drafts, that I'm sometimes stunned that the tone shift between the first stage of the journey and the later stuff seems to hook more people than it repels.

It works in part because the journey the Hobbits go through is the same as the narrative. And since they're our pov, it feels extremely natural as you read along. It's only when you step back you can see how big a change it is.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

It helps the new reader who just read the Hobbit transition into the new feel.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I kind of hated Book 1 in high school but I love it now as an adult. I could use more shire and songs in my life. Then the (very long) Council of Elrond does like five big reveals and we're off to the races!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Cavelcade posted:

It works in part because the journey the Hobbits go through is the same as the narrative. And since they're our pov, it feels extremely natural as you read along. It's only when you step back you can see how big a change it is.

its really funny how this works out because i do not think at all this was his original intent and is instead a byproduct of his insane method of writing where he would write until he got into a corner and no longer liked it, and then started entirely over. Same way the pace quickens and more keeps happening as the story nears its climax, but that is also from him just not re-writing those story beats 20 times.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tom Smykowski posted:

The true heart and soul is Bilbo burning everyone as he fucks off out of the Shire

His birthday presents to everyone are so catty, I love it.

Real Housewives of Hobbiton when?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"This tale grew in the telling" lol you ain't whistling dixie

The dynamic seemed like "OK so I've changed my mind about a whole lot of things in the process of getting to point B, so I have to go back and start over from point A to try to reincorporate all these things I've come up with in the process". And then he changes his mind about a bunch of new things on his way to point B again, and the process repeats.

But layered on top of that is his even more bizarre (if endearing) tendency to treat whatever he has already written as "received text", like just something he stumbled upon and is trying to decipher, rather than something he created himself and has total life-and-death power over. Like he's piecing together fragments of a manuscript from the Venerable Bede or something. So he'll take whole bits of dialogue and move them wholesale from one character to another, or move a conversation bodily from one chapter to another, often completely changing its meaning without changing any of the words, just by putting it in a different context. I keep thinking it's a side effect of him trying to save paper during wartime rationing or something, like why he keeps making fair copies and typescripts by writing over the top of his previous draft on the same piece of paper, but that only partly explains it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Yeah the Hobbits in the first 5 or so chapters are all "woop de do, going on an adventure, lets steal some mushrooms off that dumbass maggot dude" until suddenly its "oh poo poo we're actually carrying the essence of all evil with us and being hunted relentlessly by its servants and oh gently caress I want to go home but thats no longer possible". It's a great shift in tone.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

"
But layered on top of that is his even more bizarre (if endearing) tendency to treat whatever he has already written as "received text", like just something he stumbled upon and is trying to decipher, rather than something he created himself and has total life-and-death power over. Like he's piecing together fragments of a manuscript from the Venerable Bede or something. So he'll take whole bits of dialogue and move them wholesale from one character to another, or move a conversation bodily from one chapter to another, often completely changing its meaning without changing any of the words, just by putting it in a different context. I keep thinking it's a side effect of him trying to save paper during wartime rationing or something, like why he keeps making fair copies and typescripts by writing over the top of his previous draft on the same piece of paper, but that only partly explains it.

Reflexive creative humility coupled with genuinely enjoying his process. Dude was a historical academic of ancient texts cosplaying as a historical academic of ancient texts in his free time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's interesting all the ways that LotR violates the "rules" of fiction writing they teach you in creative writing classes. Yet it's still a towering accomplishment beloved by millions of people worldwide which I guess goes to show the masters don't follow your stupid rules.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There are no rules in fiction lol. Just get a pen and paper and start lying.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You know for years I had Joesph Campbell mixed up with Joesph Conrad so I thought the whole heroes journey thing was written by the guy who did Heart of Darkness. I was like, that book doesn't follow any of his own rules

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

zoux posted:

You know for years I had Joesph Campbell mixed up with Joesph Conrad so I thought the whole heroes journey thing was written by the guy who did Heart of Darkness. I was like, that book doesn't follow any of his own rules

I was the same with Campbell and John W. Campbell.

zoux posted:

It's interesting all the ways that LotR violates the "rules" of fiction writing they teach you in creative writing classes.

How do you mean?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, the pacing is terrible, for one. Large blocks of poetry and song, digressions, I already mentioned the structure, the multiple endings. Like setting basically an entire short story's worth of content after the main denouement. Tom Bombadil!

Don't get me wrong I love it, I love the ways that it is very much not a piece of modern fiction, and how it intersects with older literary traditions. But book tok would probably throw it in the trash after the "trope reveal"

I'm a guy in his forties who can take joy in just the way that Tolkien might turn a phrase, when I was much younger and didn't know about all the deep backstory and the ways in which JRRT's own scholarship informed the text, and what he was trying to do and the farthest I ever got was the end of Book V, it wasn't until I knew about all that stuff and could appreciate what it was going for that I fully fell in love with it.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 8, 2024

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Lord of the Rings isnt a work of fiction however, it is merely a translation into English of the Westron adaptation of the Red Book of Westmarch.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

It's interesting all the ways that LotR violates the "rules" of fiction writing they teach you in creative writing classes. Yet it's still a towering accomplishment beloved by millions of people worldwide which I guess goes to show the masters don't follow your stupid rules.

It does, however, quite often follow the rules of much older forms of writing (e.g., sagas). Tolkien isn't so much just doing his own random thing as he is very deliberately rejecting a thousand years or so of literary development and recapitulating it along different lines.

Like, much of what happens in Hobbiton (before the Scouring anyway) is familiar if you read edwardian fiction, or for that matter have watched enough Frasier (those Sackville-Bagginses!!!!). The rohirrim follow the rules for Anglo Saxon epic. Etc. Aragon may seem like a flat character but he's straight out of sagas. I'm sure tolkien stole the Beorn meeting from somewhere but I haven't found where yet.

Modern writing classes focus on a much narrower set of genres and styles.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Book 1 is terrific and has its own vibe. I'm not a big fan of The Council of Elrond at the start of Book 2. It's a massive and necessary information dump and I like the way it expands the context beyond happy Hobbit adventures but I find it pretty tedious to read through.

I like when they first get to Rivendell and Bilbo and the Elves keep sassing each other over his poetry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Probably the simplest way to explain it is look at the changes made in the Jackson adaptation (like the immediacy of the threat of the Ring rather than dicking around the shire for 50 years) for how a modern writer would be edited if trying to write LotR today.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I don't know if this was posted here, but there's some fun analysis around the 20 min mark on the origins/inspiration of the Eowyn character (the whole vid is a fun watch though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBHe5I98nwg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

Probably the simplest way to explain it is look at the changes made in the Jackson adaptation (like the immediacy of the threat of the Ring rather than dicking around the shire for 50 years) for how a modern writer would be edited if trying to write LotR today.

Only applies to the theatrical cut of fellowship

By RotK director's cut we have like ten minutes of Aragorn Sings and forty five minutes of hugathon at the end