Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

I am excited about Daybreak after playing the Japanese demo, but the bigger problem I have is that I have not finished trails in the sky yet (first chapter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dark Souls absolutely qualifies

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

Arist posted:

Dark Souls absolutely qualifies

Only if it has a level up waifu, if not, it doesn’t count

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Thoom posted:

It's always weird to me to see games like Rise of the Ronin (or Monster Hunter, or Dark Souls) get lumped in the JRPG category, but I guess technically the only qualifications are "made in Japan" and "number go up".

All these games are more jrpg than ff16

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
alright i'll bite. why have they never fixed the typo in the companys name

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what one

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tae posted:

All these games are more jrpg than ff16

i'm going to delay your turns infinitely so you can't post stupid poo poo like this anymore

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

what one

It's supposed to be falcon

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I thought the "com" was short for "computer" in some way, but I don't know what the fal would mean

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
It wasn't a mistake. It was spelled "Falcom" instead of "Falcon" because it was trendy at the time or something. Now that it's established, why would you change it?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sony was meant to be a play on sonus and sonny, but just looked like a misspelling of sonny; it would be very dumb to change the name.

Additionally Falcon Software is a registered company in Canada.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Farg posted:

It's supposed to be falcon

a falcom is like a hawmk, but less so

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They probably picked Falcom as a play on Falcon and also cause Falcom started as company doing Apple 2 sales and support so they probably borrowed com as a play on computers

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's short for Falmily Computer

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

falcon because of the millennium falcon but then changed the n to an m because "com" was a cool thing to have in your company name

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Still is

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

gently caress lol did they finally nerf the evasion tank build in Cold Steel 4? Or just made it harder to get high Evasion early on?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

frajaq posted:

gently caress lol did they finally nerf the evasion tank build in Cold Steel 4? Or just made it harder to get high Evasion early on?

Evasion build is still there and still strong. It may take slightly longer to get up and going but it's still there.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

frajaq posted:

use Shining

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

frajaq posted:

It’s harder to get high Eva early on

But make no mistake you’ll be able to build a 100% Eva Fie by the end of the game

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
By endgame in CS4 I had Fie and Sara both at 100% evasion, which made for some fun times for those multiple party sections.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
No they said it was a typo

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Infinite Rean attacks was not only still in the game, it's pretty early you get it back.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
I just finished CS1. A few comments, some spoilered just in case.

First of all, Emma is best girl.

Reviewing this game is kind of like trying to judge an entire book based on its introduction. Therefore, rather than focus on the story, I’ll stick to comments about other aspects of the game for now.

Characters: I didn’t find myself immediately liking the new characters as I did in the Sky and Crossbell games. Jusis and Machias in particular were really annoying early on and Fie struck me as a clone of Tio without the personality. Also, Alisa’s grudge against Rean for the first couple chapters of the game was ridiculous. Each of the characters slowly grew on me, however, as their backstories and motivations became more clear. It will be interesting going forward to see how these characters react to the dire situation they find themselves in.

Combat: I appreciated the overhaul of the quartz system. It was much easier to pick the move set you want and thank goodness slots now only need to be opened once, not opened and then upgraded once or twice to use the more powerful quartz. I was less impressed with the link and unbalance system. Linking with another character was no problem, but the unbalance system was so confusing that I wound up ignoring it and simply using an extra attack with my linked character whenever one happened to pop up. I can only recall using a burst attack once or twice in the entire game.

Also, holy poo poo, Laura is an absolute beast in this game! Once you put the Domination quartz on her it’s almost not fair.

Voice Acting: A lot better than I expected. I think the standout was Instructor Sara’s VA. She was perfect. I planned to switch to the Japanese VA’s as soon as that became an option in this series. Now I’m not sure. I will try both for a couple hours in CS2 and see which I like better.

Platform going forward: I played CS1 on the Vita. It was an OK experience,and honestly had I played the game right when I first bought a Vita, I probably would have been thrilled. However, CS2 was on sale for 50% off on Steam recently and I decided to grab it. It will be worth it for the larger screen, better performance and additional language options.

One more thing. Now that I’ve played both Crossbell games and CS1, I think the Crossbell games absolutely should be played first. I lost track of the times in CS1 where someone references something that just happened in Crossbell and I knew immediately what the game was talking about. The last two chapters of CS1, in particular, must have been extremely confusing for players unfamiliar with the Crossbell arc.

In conclusion, Emma is best girl!

To avoid burnout, I’m going to play an unrelated game or VN between each Trails game. At my current pace, I hope to be caught up around the time Daybreak 2 releases in the West.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
i haven't played CS1 and 2, so with Reverie, i was really not getting the references to what happened to those games, and in addition, the whole noble and commoner faction politics stuff is lost on me as well.

It be nice if they ported CS1 and CS2 together on one cartridge/disc to the switch or something

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wrt voice acting, at least for Cold Steel I/II (and afaik every version of Reverie but that’s a long way off) it’s probably worth sticking with the dub if you like it since those just straight up has more voice acting in the Steam version than the JP voiceovers and most people seem to think Rean’s dub actor especially is just better than the original.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Most of the Erebonian English voices are as good if not better than their Japanese counterparts.

However, I found that the English cast for the SSS absolutely paled in comparison to the Japanese cast, so I swapped to Japanese for CS3/4/Rev

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://www.gematsu.com/2024/03/tokyo-xanadu-new-project-announced-for-console

New Tokyo Xandu coming for the 10th anniversary. Kinda of hyped as while not fully baked in the first game it had potential so hopefully this nails it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I also started with JP for Reverie because I liked the Zero/Azure JP cast but I wound up switched back by the end because ultimately I think Sean Chiplock's Rean is such a better performance and you're dealing with dramatic scenes with him more than most other characters.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I didn't end up having that option, because I played Reverie before the western release.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The US performances for almost all the Cold Steel cast (it's nameless goons who have bad voices) is so good that I can't imagine playing it in another language.

And as I am not fluent in Japanese, it would have to be really, really bad for me to even consider it.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I havent dabbled in much anime since the days when dubs were hilariously bad, but I've played pretty much every RPG there is dubbed for atleast a few hours, and I strongly, very strongly feel, that Cold Steel is the greatest dub ever made by far. Even when the VA is just using the exact same voice they use elsewhere, they just work so much better in Cold Steel. Knowing Hatsuu was directly responsible for voice direction gives me good reason to believe it's because of how much she loves the series. The SSS is great dubbed too, but I'm really not gonna argue against Evolution's fully voiced gargantuan scripts.

The only character I can claim is absolutely 100% better subbed than dubbed is Joshua.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the best dub I can think of at the moment is FF7Re but Cold Steel is still high up there.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

FF7 Remake and Rebirth have absolutely amazing English dubs

MythosDragon posted:

The only character I can claim is absolutely 100% better subbed than dubbed is Joshua.
Tio specifically is the performance that convinced me to switch languages.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Randy and Tio in the JP dub are so good and it’s a shame the English voice direction is trying to copy that style instead of doing their own take.

Like with Laura in CS4 and Reverie. Heather Gonzales tries to copy the old Laura VA but it just sounds too off but she’s much better in Reverie when she isn’t doing that and just doing her own take on “cool noble/sheltered sword girl”

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
legend of heroes jpn voices are like all all-stars, hard to compete with the so and so Eng cast other than one or two standouts

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I play anime games in Japanese

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
My impression is that the usual reason game dubs are bad is not because of a lack of talented VAs, but because the recording conditions are much worse. Instead of getting a bunch of actors together to read lines off each other, each actor reads each line individually in rapid succession, often without being given any context for the scene, time for retakes, or much direction (because it has to be done quickly and for next to no money).

I try to listen to English dubs, but my resolve usually collapses after a few scenes worth of mangled name pronunciations and lines where the emphasis is on a hilariously wrong word. Outside of Final Fantasy (which usually turns in solid work), the only anime games where I've stuck with the dub are Xenoblade Chronicles 1 (but not 2 or 3) and Granblue Fantasy Relink.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Trails dubs are really good but they're not on the same level as FF7 Remake or FF16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I was wondering when she was gonna appear again :allears: I remember her doing some weird stuff in Cold Steel 2, good VA too