Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Good lord, Ms "Fallout is actually anti-immigrant allegory" is also apparently co-writing a Star Trek movie? Love to see what she comes up with for that. Wonder if she's up for doing a Starship Troopers remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i can forgive xenophobia but i draw the line at liking fallout 3

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Hey rope kid, Fallout New Vegas is loving awesome, warts and all. Thank you to everybody that created it. It’s literally the main reason I bought a SteamDeck.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nobody Interesting posted:

Wonder if she's up for doing a Starship Troopers remake.

I've got my issues with all of the Starship Troopers sequel movies but their one saving grace is that as long as they keep coming out it prevents people from doing a crappy remake like happened with Total Recall and Robocop.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

I've got my issues with all of the Starship Troopers sequel movies but their one saving grace is that as long as they keep coming out it prevents people from doing a crappy remake like happened with Total Recall and Robocop.

Yeah I can imagine how bland that would be. Why are the crappy remakes always so god drat bland for movies that were liked in a large part because of how over the top they were? You'd think even movie producers wouldn't be that dumb, yet here we are.

I know lets do a remake of Rocky horror, but as a serious drama musical without any camp!

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 8, 2024

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nobody Interesting posted:

Good lord, Ms "Fallout is actually anti-immigrant allegory" is also apparently co-writing a Star Trek movie? Love to see what she comes up with for that. Wonder if she's up for doing a Starship Troopers remake.

Both Bethesda Fallouts made the terrible mistake of trying to do a racism allegory where the people being discriminated against are actually part of a different species that can be murderously dangerous towards humans. The ghouls of Tenpenny Tower just want to be able to live in peace alongside humans - but if you let them in, they'll bring in feral ghouls and slaughter everyone. Fallout 4 has the Synths, and even when they escape from the Institute's influence there's still an instance of a Synth murdering a person and secretly replacing them with a replica.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

This is a way worse quote than the bit about liking Fallout 3, c'mon.

... That quote is literally saying the opposite of what you all are reading.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Roy Phillips is more justified in taking over Tenpenny Tower than the Courier is in killing House.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Arbite posted:

... That quote is literally saying the opposite of what you all are reading.

no what he meant is still really bad

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Chamale posted:

Both Bethesda Fallouts made the terrible mistake of trying to do a racism allegory where the people being discriminated against are actually part of a different species that can be murderously dangerous towards humans. The ghouls of Tenpenny Tower just want to be able to live in peace alongside humans - but if you let them in, they'll bring in feral ghouls and slaughter everyone. Fallout 4 has the Synths, and even when they escape from the Institute's influence there's still an instance of a Synth murdering a person and secretly replacing them with a replica.

all praise to the vanguard party of ghouls for negotiating with the bourgeoise, petty bourgeoise and national liberals before rousing the lumpenghoul to violently overthrow them in a glorious revolution to reclaim their fruits of labour.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Chamale posted:

Look guy/gal/rat bastard, if you go around judging a group of people by their cultural practices in relation to your norms you are literally Hitler. Okay?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

watho posted:

i can forgive xenophobia but i draw the line at liking fallout 3

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chamale posted:

It's not like the ghouls were killing innocent people. Tenpenny wants to nuke Megaton for example. Your synth example doesn't work either considering the railroad is one of two good factions uou can ally with and they have a lot of synth members and their goal is to liberate synths. There's even a town that kills synths simply for being synths.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tenpenny wants to nuke megaton. Not the entire residential body of the tower

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Never the less, the ghouls aren't naturally disposed to be hostile. They're hostile to Tenpenny Tower because they hsve been denied access to it simply for being ghouls. In the Fallout games rhe wast majority of bad guys are human and any problems they have with non-humans are usually their own fault.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
*deep breath* on october 7 there was a rav-

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Never the less, the ghouls aren't naturally disposed to be hostile. They're hostile to Tenpenny Tower because they hsve been denied access to it simply for being ghouls. In the Fallout games rhe wast majority of bad guys are human and any problems they have with non-humans are usually their own fault.

I agree, it's total BS* that joining the Unity is a :airquote: game over :airquote: instead of a win condition

What? Marcus said it was cool!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I know right, I made a choice to be an awesome supermutant what's not winning about that!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Fallout 3 / aged like milk but offers a ton of places to explore,crap story with plotholes that a supermutant behemoth could fit through,great atmosphere though.loving awful DLC though,mothership zeta is genuinely offensively bad.Followers are good.

New vegas / technically a much better game with better story,characters,weapons and in depth gameplay,map’s not as fun to get lost in as 3 though.All the DLC’s are top tier even with their faults.Followers are far more fleshed out but i do miss charon.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Just imagine if the NV team had had the setting and development time of 3 available to them.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Discendo Vox posted:

Just imagine if the NV team had had the setting and development time of 3 available to them.

I spent roughly 90% of my first FO4 playthrough thinking "this game would be so absolutely incredible if it gets the New Vegas treatment". It did not.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Fallout 3 / aged like milk but offers a ton of places to explore,crap story with plotholes that a supermutant behemoth could fit through,great atmosphere though.loving awful DLC though,mothership zeta is genuinely offensively bad.Followers are good.

Speaking of Fallout DLC, people always talk up Point Lookout as some kind of redeeming moment for FO3, when to me it always was a horrible, boring waste of time. One of the more baffling aspects of the public perception of modern fallout, imo

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Point lookout was great to explore but also completely broken in terms of enemy health and weapon damage*

*The double barreled shotgun would either do like 100 damage or 5 depending on if the weather was good that day or if your enemy just decided “hey i don’t believe shotguns are even real man”.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I lost a companion in the swamp at Point Lookout. They just fell in and I never saw them again lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My main memory of it is every enemy taking 500 bullets to kill.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
It's old ground at this point and not worth kvetching over again, but it's still remarkable to me that Bethesda purchased the rights to a franchise that clearly draws on a wealth of material such as Mad Max, A Canticle for Leibowitz, and A Boy And His Dog, and for two games in a row their only original ideas have been 'what if Blade Runner was all text and no subtext' and 'let's do a foggy Lovecraftian seaside town for a bit'.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

steinrokkan posted:

Speaking of Fallout DLC, people always talk up Point Lookout as some kind of redeeming moment for FO3, when to me it always was a horrible, boring waste of time. One of the more baffling aspects of the public perception of modern fallout, imo

It was competent. It didn't do anything egregiously wrong, even if its story felt more like it should've been a brief sidequest to the main game. Maybe people were either so starved for decent story or the bar had been set so offensively low by The Pitt that it looked like gold.

God, gently caress the Pitt and it's asinine moral choice. "Would it be right to depose the violent warlord who put murderers and rapists in charge of his slave workforce within a nonviable city? He loves his daughter!"

grobbo posted:

It's old ground at this point and not worth kvetching over again, but it's still remarkable to me that Bethesda purchased the rights to a franchise that clearly draws on a wealth of material such as Mad Max, A Canticle for Leibowitz, and A Boy And His Dog, and for two games in a row their only original ideas have been 'what if Blade Runner was all text and no subtext' and 'let's do a foggy Lovecraftian seaside town for a bit'.

I need to stand in defense of Far Harbor. It's creative and utilizes their own, original ideas, while giving the player multiple ways of deciding what to do and why they want to do it based off their own ethical compass. It is the only time since the release of Morrowind that I found myself impressed by something Bethesda has done.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Far Harbour is legit a great time and it has the best writing in a Bethesda fallout by a country mile.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ironslave posted:

It was competent. It didn't do anything egregiously wrong, even if its story felt more like it should've been a brief sidequest to the main game. Maybe people were either so starved for decent story or the bar had been set so offensively low by The Pitt that it looked like gold.

God, gently caress the Pitt and it's asinine moral choice. "Would it be right to depose the violent warlord who put murderers and rapists in charge of his slave workforce within a nonviable city? He loves his daughter!"

The real bullshit of The Pitt is that you can go hogwild and murder your way out and it's very hard and fun to do then there's just a locked door and you don't get to do that and just go and win, sorry

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Far Harbor was pretty good.

Bethesda only seems to be willing to take a chance and do anything interesting post-Morrowind with their DLC. The main games are bland but usually get one piece of DLC that show the company isn't completely devoid of ideas and talent, they're just choosing not to use it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Point Lookout was good other than the enemy balance. Pretty sure there's mods to fix that at least. The Punga dream is one of the cooler things they managed to do with the engine.

The Pit was an almost interesting plot/setting. But there are main game questlines that are longer than it. The rest of the content is just searching for ingots.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah but the scrap yard is the best part of the Pitt IMO. Just scrambling around the post-nuclear wreck of the Rust Belt, I think it’s the best designed area of the entire game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The plot of PL is absolute nonsense. Even more so than F3

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Far Harbour is legit a great time and it has the best writing in a Bethesda fallout by a country mile.

Agreed. It's a fun setup and the items it adds are fun to play around with.
The main storyline for the add-on is really good and difficult to navigate in terms of what choices you make.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Gaius Marius posted:

The plot of PL is absolute nonsense. Even more so than F3

I disagree. It mixed the dark roots of spy movie tropes with the inherent post-nuclear absurdity of Fallout, while also showing the way average people suffer and get roped into their hijinks. It's Bond and Goldfinger doing their bullshit long after it made any sense for them to do so, because it's what they've always done. It's a solid enough idea and not incongruous with a lot of the weirdness of Fallout in general, with everyone playing their idiot part with a straight face. I could've seen it as a sidequest in FO2, it just maybe didn't need an entire DLC dedicated to it.

oh jay posted:

The Punga dream is one of the cooler things they managed to do with the engine.

And this.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Arivia posted:

Yeah but the scrap yard is the best part of the Pitt IMO. Just scrambling around the post-nuclear wreck of the Rust Belt, I think it’s the best designed area of the entire game.

This,also the extreme mad maxness of the weapons and armour was awesome.

My favourite weapon in all of FO3 the silenced machine-gun and everything to do with the fight arena + the huge battle along the walkways was very fun.Oh and the bridge at the beginning was cool but under utilised.

drat now you got me wanting to play FO3 just for the Pitt.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If it wasn't for The Pitt, there would be no Raider Ordinance armor. And that would be a shame, because I will never not be amazed at how ridiculous the female version is.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I recently replayed the Pitt when I was doing TTW and loved the aesthetic and the crisscross bridge village and the steelyard, the story is dumb and only makes sense if you play it evil and stick with the raiders but whatever it's fine

Though come to think of it they did the same thing with Nuka World, I wonder if there's like one dev working there who keeps getting annoyed at the lack of evil options in the main game and awkwardly shoves them all into a tonally dissonant DLC

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Haha,nice. (Ordinance armour)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I recently replayed the Pitt when I was doing TTW and loved the aesthetic and the crisscross bridge village and the steelyard, the story is dumb and only makes sense if you play it evil and stick with the raiders but whatever it's fine

Though come to think of it they did the same thing with Nuka World, I wonder if there's like one dev working there who keeps getting annoyed at the lack of evil options in the main game and awkwardly shoves them all into a tonally dissonant DLC

I went to Disney World not long after playing Nuka World for the first time and it really made standing in the middle of Tomorrowland pretty surreal. They hit the nail on the head on that one.